PDA

View Full Version : Warforged to Human Help

Dysole
2012-07-07, 12:01 PM
I want to find a way for a warforged to disguise themselves to appear as a human. I figured this wouldn't be too hard (especially since I'm not worried about fooling things like true seeing) but then I encountered issues when actually trying to find a spell that worked like I wanted.

Disguise Self works fine except for auditory and tactile effects which is not preferred. Was originally just going to use a Hat of Disguise until I read the part about auditory and tactile effects.

Alter Self doesn't allow a warforged to appear as human since warforged are constructs rather than humanoids (which annoyed me since I was planning on using this one after Hat of Disguise fell through).

Polymorph has a duration that is much shorter than I want it to be.

Polymorph any Object works just about how I'd like but is higher level spell than I'd like.

Any suggestions? Basically I'm looking for something that wouldn't require a massive investment of magical or monetary resources but would still allow such a disguise to be adopted for a significant period of time (although if the way to do this is simply by casting a spell again after some time has passed that is fine)

~Dysole, figuring a fresh pair of eyes can probably help solve this

zorenathres
2012-07-07, 12:06 PM
probably way beyond the realms of a valid magic item... but i just got the idea, similar to the girdle of sex change, how about a cursed girdle of construct/ incarnate construct or something similar? while cursed, the construct becomes a "living" creature similar to the incarnate construct.

just a strange idea...

Dysole
2012-07-07, 12:58 PM
Some variant of that actually works perfectly because that would allow me to use Alter Self. Thanks.

~Dysole, noting that this solution has other unintended benefits

Jack Zander
2012-07-07, 05:48 PM
This doesn't really help you any, but it reminds me of a campaign I was in once.

We were going off to hunt down some bandits, and our artificer had a brilliant idea. He handed me a potion of enlarge person, and cast a silent image around my warforged character to make me look like a regular human. I charged into the bandit camp, bit down on the potion, and as I enlarged I pretended to claw away my flesh (while the artificer kept up the illusion to match my movements). Then in my enlarged warforged form I shouted, "I am the fleshwearer! You will be my new skin!" and pointed to their leader.

Needless to say, most of the camp was instantly routed, and we only had the leader and a handful of his bravest men to battle.

HunterColt22
2012-07-07, 11:23 PM
Is your warforged the face of the party? If not still go with alter self but just pretend to be mute while in that form. Pick up sign language as an added language and use that to talk with your team while in human form and to keep up the illusion while altered.

RaggedAngel
2012-07-08, 12:57 AM
Is your warforged the face of the party? If not still go with alter self but just pretend to be mute while in that form. Pick up sign language as an added language and use that to talk with your team while in human form and to keep up the illusion while altered.

Why would a Warforged's voice sound odd? They don't have robotic voices or anything, they're magical constructs made by humans (mostly) for service (initially). There's no reason why they can't sound more or less human.

Waker
2012-07-08, 01:09 AM
Well, I could probably dig around for a magic item or a spell, but that would be out of character for me, since it would require effort. I would say that you could avoid the issues with tactile sensation through the use of gloves, long sleeves and other such articles of clothing.

eggs
2012-07-08, 01:14 AM
Alter Self (Effigy Human)?

Urpriest
2012-07-08, 04:47 PM
Can't use Alter Self to become something templated.

That said, why not just use Disguise? The penalty for Warforged->Human isn't that bad, you could make it with even very paltry skill optimization.

Slipperychicken
2012-07-08, 05:42 PM
Cover yourself completely and say you have a skin condition, very grudgingly, as though people bother you about it all the time and you're sick of it. Trenchcoat, gloves, hat, mask, the works. Think Rorschach. When some douchecake tries to take your mask off, cast Alter Self to look like a human with half his face melted off and the other half horribly pale and covered in warts. Recoil in a mixture of shame and pain.

ShadowPsyker
2012-07-08, 10:41 PM
Major Image (3rd level spell). Heck, a scroll of permanent Image isn't that expensive = 1650 gp.

Lateral
2012-07-08, 11:36 PM
This doesn't really help you any, but it reminds me of a campaign I was in once.

We were going off to hunt down some bandits, and our artificer had a brilliant idea. He handed me a potion of enlarge person, and cast a silent image around my warforged character to make me look like a regular human. I charged into the bandit camp, bit down on the potion, and as I enlarged I pretended to claw away my flesh (while the artificer kept up the illusion to match my movements). Then in my enlarged warforged form I shouted, "I am the fleshwearer! You will be my new skin!" and pointed to their leader.

Needless to say, most of the camp was instantly routed, and we only had the leader and a handful of his bravest men to battle.

Too bad Enlarge Person doesn't affect Warforged.

Slipperychicken
2012-07-09, 12:11 AM

It's often forgotten that Warforged are Constructs, and not treated as humanoids. Which is convenient against attacks specific to Humanoids, like Hold Person, Charm Person, and Dominate Person.

Jack Zander
2012-07-09, 12:18 AM

Meh, it was an artificer crafting a potion for a warforged to use. It could have just as easily been a potion of enlarge construct. The DM rolled with it so I don't get how that makes the story any different.

hoverfrog
2012-07-09, 10:33 AM
There's always the Reforged Prestige class. Also what is wrong with disguising yourself to look like a man in armour? So what if someone touches you and feels steel and leather. So what if you clang and creak when you move. You're wearing armour.

Failing that there is the Master Maker prestige class that has a warforged hand. There is no reason why some people cannot have warforged prosthetic limbs if your DM approves it. The Master Maker shows that it is possible. Just claim have had extensive reconstructive surgery after injuries in the Last War and alter your disguise to reflect that.

HunterColt22
2012-07-09, 03:24 PM
Why would a Warforged's voice sound odd? They don't have robotic voices or anything, they're magical constructs made by humans (mostly) for service (initially). There's no reason why they can't sound more or less human.

Read the first part of his post and you will see that he mentions that alter self does not cover auditory aspects. Thus it can be guessed and deduced that his voice sounds different from a normal human. Also a warforged's vocal are probably made from metal, wood and or leather in some combination, sound reverberating off of one of those does not sound anything like a human voice.

Also if you a cart you can always play the part of a new type of armor suit that is being developed and shone off. :l Would be fun to also scare small children with that plan.

Dysole
2012-07-09, 08:38 PM
Read the first part of his post and you will see that he mentions that alter self does not cover auditory aspects. Thus it can be guessed and deduced that his voice sounds different from a normal human. Also a warforged's vocal are probably made from metal, wood and or leather in some combination, sound reverberating off of one of those does not sound anything like a human voice.

Also if you a cart you can always play the part of a new type of armor suit that is being developed and shone off. :l Would be fun to also scare small children with that plan.

The main reason is that I figured a warforged being basically an agglomeration of wood, metal, and the like would probably sound a lot different than a human walking around although upon further reflection it does seem like an armored human would make similar noises. All in all, I appreciate all the suggestions I've seen so far and I think I might have an idea on what I want to do.

~Dysole, who was surprised at how few negatives the warforged took for trying to look human