PDA

View Full Version : Why is sacred exorcist considered so good?

Zelkon
2012-07-07, 04:10 PM
The prC tier system lists it as up two tiers, but aside from good spell progression and BAB it seems mostly situational.
Edit: wrong forum, could the mods please move it?

Jarian
2012-07-07, 04:15 PM
Full casting progression, class features, and Divine Metamag- I mean, Turn Undead.

Something for nothing, and the somethings are very good.

GunbladeKnight
2012-07-07, 06:52 PM
Also keep in mind you could theoretically go Wizard 10/Sacred Exorcist 10 and get divine metamagic as well as have 9th level spells. Would you want a character to have that in your campaigns?

The rest of the abilities are just icing on the cake.

Jarian
2012-07-07, 06:57 PM
Divine Metamagic only applies to divine spells, so that's not really relevant.

JeminiZero
2012-07-07, 07:49 PM

Actually, Naenhoon Illumians can apply an effect that functions *almost* like DMM to Arcane spells.

Jarian
2012-07-07, 10:43 PM
Actually, Naenhoon Illumians can apply an effect that functions *almost* like DMM to Arcane spells.

It's limited to 2/day if memory serves, so not as blatantly overpowered. Regardless, that has nothing to do with the statement that DMM can be applied to arcane spells. *shrug*

dspeyer
2012-07-08, 02:00 AM
Two tiers? That seems excessive.

Favored Soul is probably the most obvious entry. Adding dmm is very handy there, but probably not quite matching a cleric's power, and certainly not meeting the tier 1 definition. Call it up a half.

Divine Bard is another natural entry. Persisted Glibness is scary. On the other hand, it's still a 3/4 caster who gave up his class features. While it doesn't meet the strict definition of tier 2 in terms of build options, a given bard/se character probably has power and versatility to match a similarly built sorcerer. Call it up one.

Healer could take SE with some effort, but it would remain a class that does one thing poorly. Call it even.

Any idea what entry is supposed to get two tiers worth of benefit?

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-08, 05:47 AM
Two tiers? That seems excessive.

Favored Soul is probably the most obvious entry. Adding dmm is very handy there, but probably not quite matching a cleric's power, and certainly not meeting the tier 1 definition. Call it up a half.

Divine Bard is another natural entry. Persisted Glibness is scary. On the other hand, it's still a 3/4 caster who gave up his class features. While it doesn't meet the strict definition of tier 2 in terms of build options, a given bard/se character probably has power and versatility to match a similarly built sorcerer. Call it up one.

Healer could take SE with some effort, but it would remain a class that does one thing poorly. Call it even.

Rainbow Warsnake :smallbiggrin:

Amnoriath
2012-07-08, 08:56 AM

Which is why you get Southern Magician.

Jarian
2012-07-08, 09:58 AM

A Cleric that traded away Turn Undead for (insert alternate source of DMM-fuel here). Double your DMM with one level.

sreservoir
2012-07-08, 02:08 PM
it's more, +1 in cases where your build isn't designed to exploit its features, but can be +2 if you actually make use of TU; but it is quite easy to build so as to exploit the gain of TU. since if you're the sort which doesn't care about TU, it's an okay prc but there are usually better choices, the kinds of characters which take it are the ones which benefit immensely from gaining TU. thus, it is more usual to gain a +2-type benefit than to take it from a +1-type benefit.

dspeyer
2012-07-08, 02:22 PM
What sort of build actually goes up two tiers? The best I can think of is the divine bard, and that still really isn't tier 1. Tiers are big.

Rainbow warsnake is already tier 1. I don't think tier -1 is defined. Druid/planar shepard is tier 0, though, and I don't think w/rs/se stands clearly above that the way clerics stand above favored souls.

sreservoir
2012-07-08, 03:06 PM
What sort of build actually goes up two tiers? The best I can think of is the divine bard, and that still really isn't tier 1. Tiers are big.

Rainbow warsnake is already tier 1. I don't think tier -1 is defined. Druid/planar shepard is tier 0, though, and I don't think w/rs/se stands clearly above that the way clerics stand above favored souls.

the tier system for prcs ... doesn't really work that way. if I recall, zeal has stated that the ±n doesn't really so much represent actual shift in tiers, and were just there as an analogy. something like that.