PDA

View Full Version : [DnD 3.5] Charging and Difficult Terrain

theonesin
2012-07-07, 06:03 PM
So, I recently got out of a session where the DM, in order to balance an encounter against my mounted charger, boosted the enemies(increasing DR, I think) to a point where the other characters in the party couldn't do much of anything.

It was brought up that difficult terrain could stop me, and while I expect to run into that now, I want to see if there's a way I can get around that if I really need to.

Any advice on ways to charge over difficult terrain or otherwise bypass it? I don't want to necessarily make the DM's job even harder, but I want to have a backup in case I'm shut down TOO much.

VGLordR2
2012-07-07, 06:12 PM
Leap Attack (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/leap-attack--1741/) lets you jump on a charge, ignoring rough terrain.

theonesin
2012-07-07, 06:14 PM
Leap Attack (http://dndtools.eu/feats/complete-adventurer--54/leap-attack--1741/) lets you jump on a charge, ignoring rough terrain.

Does that work on a mounted charger?

eggs
2012-07-07, 06:15 PM
Off my head and without investing class levels, Leap Attack and Battle Jump work to a certain degree (Jump over things that get in your way); Twisted and Nimble Charge skill tricks can get around most battlefield-control related difficult terrain; Anklets of Translocation, Travel Devotion, Chronocharm of the Horizon Walker, Boots of Battle or Hidden Talent (Dimension Hop) can give swift movement to set up a clear line on the charge; or just fly.

I can't remember if Phase cloak's Shoulder bind triggers on a charge, but that might be an option.

There are probably more.

VGLordR2
2012-07-07, 06:20 PM
Does that work on a mounted charger?

Oops, I missed the word "mounted" in the original post. I don't think Leap Attack works by RAW on a mount, but talk to your DM. It's reasonable to allow it.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-07, 06:26 PM
Oops, I missed the word "mounted" in the original post. I don't think Leap Attack works by RAW on a mount, but talk to your DM. It's reasonable to allow it.

The DM's the one who doesn't want him dealing all the damage.

But honestly, unless you participate in battles that are on open grasslands, and there's never more than one or two enemies, I don't see the problem.

theonesin
2012-07-07, 06:39 PM
The DM's the one who doesn't want him dealing all the damage.

But honestly, unless you participate in battles that are on open grasslands, and there's never more than one or two enemies, I don't see the problem.

I think the "problem" is that I don't need that open an area, due to this Horseman Fighter feature:

Horseman Ability
Quick Turn – When making a charge on a mount, the
mount may make one turn of up to 90 degree per point
of Dexterity modifier. Each turn requires a Ride check
vs. DC 15. Failure turns the charge into a double
move.

Unless I horribly botched the reading, it lets me charge and attack, Quick Turn once after the attack(since I have Ride-By Attack), then Quick Turn again to effectively set myself up for my next charge.

TuggyNE
2012-07-07, 08:49 PM
It's pretty difficult to balance out (mounted) charging, for this very reason; it's either very strong, or almost completely worthless, and doesn't combo too well with others. However, you can ask your DM to increase the number of enemies (and maybe weaken them individually) instead of using difficult terrain to nullify you; chargers are diluted by scattered groups, but not completely negated.