PDA

View Full Version : WWGITPD? (What Would Giants in the Playground do?)

Campbellk8105
2012-07-07, 08:22 PM
Hello all playgrounders. I've been away for some time now due to work and other things, but I have returned and am about to start a new campaign.

Now, to start things off, this post isn't to be an, "I want a character build and I don't want to make one myself. Please make me an OP one for me to use," post. It's just as the title says. What would giants in the playground do? if they got to use the Race/Stats for an upcoming character. Solely for amusement and curiosities sake, I want to see what people come up with and how they'd use it.

Now, I'm already playing my 2 characters as is, and I figured I'd share it with you. My first character is a male hengeyokai (sparrow) and his name is Peter(not described because he is special and I am using home brewed class). My second character, is a Petal (yes yes, cohorts only, my DM ok'd me to use it, and with only the +2 LA!) and her name is Tink.

Tink
Race: Petal (Fey)
Height: 1ft
Weight: 1lbs
Stats;
Str: 8
Dex: 40
Con: 24
Int: 18
Wis: 14
Cha: 26
(Int, Wis might be a little off)

Stats are ridiculously high, yes I know, but my DM wanted to try something new and did a bizarre way of rolling stats. Roll 15d6. Take the total and assign to attributes as follows;
Attributes:
10-20 cost 1 point per point raised
20-30 cost 2 points per point raised
30-40 cost 3 points per point raised
40-50 cost 4 points per point raised
etc.
After that, take the racial modifiers and apply them.

So this is what I came up with. Planning on making her a rogue, master thrower, invis blade because, well, I have a freakin' 40 Dex!

Now, either rolling your own stats and making your own character and posting, using the one I posted, and doing any combination of... anything I mentioned, lets see what people come up with, and have fun with it!

All Books allowed, including Dragon Mag and Quintessential Books. No max level. Any other questions feel free to ask!

(Yes, I am bored.)

Waker
2012-07-07, 08:44 PM
I would probably swap Dex and Charisma, take levels of Bard and Swordsage and then do this.

Originally Posted by Crasical
There's a spell called Undersong in a book called Champions of Ruin which lets you substitute a Perform check for any Concentrate check you'd make in the next minute/caster level. A ring of Undersong costs only 8k gold.
The Complete Warrior has a special Perform variant called Weapon Drill, where you show off your mastery of a weapon for a bit, adding half your BAB and getting an untyped +2 for each of a list of martial-type feats you might have.
The Diamond Mind Maneuvers Action before Thought, Mind over Body, and Moment of Perfect Mind let you make Concentrate checks instead of Reflex, Fort, or Will saves.
Diamond, Ruby, and Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Insightful strike and Greater Insightful Strike all use Concentrate checks to attack things.

Take an Adamantine weapon for flavor. You can now cut just about everything. Mind control magic? Cut it. Poison? Cut it. Fireball? Cut it. Go wild. Parry lightning. If it allows a save, cut it.
Your comically high charisma can now make you an amazing attacker as well as a spellcaster. Plus you are remarkably hard to kill.

Also, you had a choice of any of those avatars and you chose Rand over Mat? Really?

The Gilded Duke
2012-07-07, 08:53 PM
I could see this making a fun sword sage or sneak attack sorcerer.
But the Weapon Drill Undersong is also quite lovely.

Kazyan
2012-07-07, 09:36 PM
0) Exchange Dex and Cha, if you want.
1) Be a Martial Rogue.
2) Acquire two rings of continuous Thunderlance.
3) Get ranks in Ride.
4) Acquire a Magebred Warbeast Cat.
5) Take the TWF chain, Mounted Combat, and some charger stuff.
6) Stab the immune-to-awesomeness killjoys who say it's not optimal.

Randomguy
2012-07-07, 09:51 PM
If you put that 40 in Int, and did some reshuffling with the other stats, you would make the most awesome wizard of all time. Or the most awesome factotum of all time, or the most awesome beguiler of all time. But that's probably not what you're after.

A really great Master Thrower build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235408) was posted on this forum earlier. It has VoP and some cheese like shun and reject the dark chaos, though. You could probably modify the build without them, though, by making use activated magic gloves of Greater Magic Weapon at high caster level to enchant all of your thrown weapons.
Your high charisma would also help for that build, for extra Turn Undead and for better casting.

Campbellk8105
2012-07-07, 09:53 PM
Waker, that sounds amazing. That would be so funny, but I think my DM would have rocks fall on me... And many a books thrown.

Also, you had a choice of any of those avatars and you chose Rand over Mat? Really?

I do have Mat and Thom as seperate Avatars as well. I just haven't been on in a long while and still have Rand up, might peruse the request board and get a new one. Matt is hilarious, but I like how the Rand avatar turned out.

Waker
2012-07-07, 10:02 PM
Waker, that sounds amazing. That would be so funny, but I think my DM would have rocks fall on me... And many a books thrown.
Your DM has you rolling 15d6 for stats, I think they can take THE POWER OF ROCK for a little while. Besides, with those saves you can avoid the rocks.

I do have Mat and Thom as seperate Avatars as well. I just haven't been on in a long while and still have Rand up, might peruse the request board and get a new one. Matt is hilarious, but I like how the Rand avatar turned out.
Avatar is nice, but I just don't like Rand as a character. He's always so mopey even though he's basically an Emperor Wizard with a small harem. Whereas Mat complains about having to go to war even though he'd rather sit back with a pint and pinch some bottoms.
And yes, I had to describe them like that.

Psyren
2012-07-08, 01:25 AM
What are the stats on the Sparrow?

Avatar is nice, but I just don't like Rand as a character. He's always so mopey even though he's basically an Emperor Wizard with a small harem. Whereas Mat complains about having to go to war even though he'd rather sit back with a pint and pinch some bottoms.
And yes, I had to describe them like that.

Not to derail, but you clearly haven't read up to Towers of Midnight yet. Under Sanderson, Rand basically had his emo surgically removed, and he is awesome once again.

Campbellk8105
2012-07-08, 09:55 AM
The Sparrow, I rounded his skills off more. Int is his highest skill because the home brew class I'm using is somewhat like an Alchemist.

Str: 16
Dex: 24
Con: 22
Int: 26
Wis: 16
Cha: 16

Those are Peter's stats.

Also, since I told my DM I'm making 2 character named Peter and Tink (the petal) he gave my petal a supernatural ability. The Elder Fey gave her the ability to hit a 10x10 square with Magic Flying Dust.

Magic Flying Dust
Range: Close
Area/Target: 10x10 square
Duration: 1 Hour per HD
Effect: Creatures hit the the Dust gain the ability to fly. Creatures gain a fly speed equal to Double their base land speed. This ability lasts for 1 Hour per HD of the person who cast it on you.

Now, I told him that that was a loooong time and crazy for the speed but, he said that Tinkerbell could pretty much make someone fly for as long as she wanted to. So I wasn't going to twist his arm and say no change it :p

Another funny thing I forgot. The Fey learned a new language that unless taught to another creature, that it merely sounds like bells chiming and ringing. Only Fey who have learned the language produce the Bell sound. Other races can learn it, but they just sound like they're speaking a different language per usual. The language itself is magical in the setting.

Soranar
2012-07-08, 10:53 AM
Hum, i would certainly use that DEX for something. I mean, seriously, 40 DEX.

How about this:

Alternate class features

Fighter

-Hit and run tactics (DEX bonus to damage vs flat-footed opponents, +2 to ini, lose hvy armor proficiency and tower shield proficiency)

1 Ninja Point blank shot
2 Fighter Weapon focus (hand crossbow, from DOTU), crossbow sniper
3 Ninja Rapid shot
4 Battledancer
5 Ninja
6+ Assassin or Avenger Darkstalker

Abilities:

AC = DEX+ WIS+ CHA (that should be a lot)

Regular Damage= 1 (small weapon on a small character) + half your DEX (still a lot)

vs flatfooted opponents= 1+ 1.5 DEX + sneak attack bonus

Assassin or avenger grants you very useful spells (like sniper's shot which lets you sneak attack at any distance)

Your hide and move silently should be extremely high (due to DEX and size)

Battledancer requires you to be chaotic so I assume you'd be Chaotic evil (for assassin) or you go for an alignment change and become an avenger

Tim Proctor
2012-07-08, 11:40 AM
With Petal I'd move the 40 to Cha take Marshal for first level (take it to 3rd level so you can also get Motivate Intelligence) and get Motivate Charisma, I'd max out Diplomacy and just talk to everything. At level 1 with the 4 Ranks, +3 Skill Focus and the +30 from Cha you should be making friends with almost everything. At level 3 I'd get the Motivate Intelligence, Knowledge Devotion and Collector of Stories. With 1 rank in each Knowledge this will guarantee the +5/+5 benefits.

Campbellk8105
2012-07-08, 05:09 PM
I would go the Diplomacy route but my DM's consider it to be too easy of a check to change someones attitude. Especially certain characters, and PC's we can't use bluff or diplomacy against one another. He wants us to RP it. Which is fine but when I myself start laughing, and my character would not, it gets annoying. Considering out of game knowledge tends to get used...

Anyways, I'm going to max Sleight of Hand so she can steal everything. She steals the stuff, and my other character makes items and what not with them.

nedz
2012-07-08, 09:03 PM
I would question the 10 Int for the rogue ? Basically; is there a reason you don't need skill points ?
Oh and Nymph's Kiss.

Campbellk8105
2012-07-08, 09:20 PM
I would question the 10 Int for the rogue ? Basically; is there a reason you don't need skill points ?
Oh and Nymph's Kiss.

I just realized I put 10 for INT down. I got my sheet from my friends house so I changed it to the correct stats.

Not having skill points would be a bad thing lol especially since the insane DEX isn't nearly high enough to do what I want without skill points. Along with other needed skills.