PDA

View Full Version : character advice rogue/diviner

morkendi
2012-07-07, 09:52 PM
DM is starting a city setting campaign. Starting ecl is 5. I rolled a human for the bonus feet. I was thinking combination of rouge and diviner. I want the skill bot. Stat rolls are 11 str, 18 int, 10 wis, 18 dex, 16 con, 14 cha.... i had decent rolls. Looking for advise on build and opinion on these two classes together. Goal is stealing hard to get items and such using divination to scout out potential heist, but I also want some utility as i will be the utility caster for the party.

JeminiZero
2012-07-07, 09:58 PM
1 Rogue / 4 Diviner / 10 Unseen Seer (from Complete Mage), is pretty much the bog standard build for something like this. Use Practiced Spellcaster to make up for the 1 rogue level, and the -3 from Unseen Seer Divination spell power.

Edit: Also, be changeling or human and grab Able Learner (Races of Destiny) at level 1. This lets you keep Rogue skills maxed out on the cheap, throughout your Diviner levels.

Flickerdart
2012-07-07, 10:01 PM
Rogue 1/Wizard 5 (Spontaneous Divination ACF)/Unseen Seer 10 is a pretty good build. After that Spellwarp Sniper, Arcane Trickster and Magelord all get sneak attack, so go into one of those. Make sure to use your Advanced Learning for Hunter's Eye, the PHB2 normally Ranger-only spell that gives you extra Sneak Attack. Even though you will have a Divination focus, don't bother specializing in it - since you have Spontaneous Divination, you'll be casting whatever Divinations you need from your other slots. Focused specialization in Transmutation or Conjuration isn't a bad choice, since you can Spont. Div. out of the focused slots too.

morkendi
2012-07-07, 10:12 PM
Able learner was already in the cards as i want alchemy and some other skills that are cc. Others are brawler type fighter build and a cleric of bane. I will have to cover the sneak and caster. This is different for me as i usally play melee types. Will this build cover the sneek and utility aspect and still be able to hold it's own in battle or am i trying to spread to thin?

JeminiZero
2012-07-07, 10:57 PM
As far as holding in battle goes... What level are you starting at?

By 'Sneaking', do you mean 'Scouting'? Like sneaking ahead, on your lonesome squishy self, into unknown territory full of deadly traps and hyngry monsters?

As far as scouting goes, at low levels, ask the Cleric to prepare Spider Hand (from BoVD). That is one of the better options for checking whats ahead without putting your neck at risk.

Once you get level 2 arcane spells, there is Chain of Eyes (SpC). This little nugget lets you see through the eyes of another creature for hrs/level. Get some disposable minion (e.g. summon a mount (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mount.htm)), use its eyes and scout ahead.

On Level 4 arcane spells, there is Arcane Eye (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneEye.htm).

At mid levels (specifically 9) get the Summon Elemental reserve feat. An Earth Elemental can glide through stone walls, peek at whats on the other side, and then return to you to report (provided it doesn't finish its turn more than 30 ft away from you). Its also generally useful as trap bait.

morkendi
2012-07-07, 11:51 PM
Ecl is 5, so this meens 5th lvl if no template is taken that adjust it. Sneak meens only rogue in party as well as only mage. Setting is 100% large city so not talking about scouting ahead in a dungeon. Its all about city intrigue, waring factions, doing stuff without being caught.