PDA

View Full Version : [Speculation] If the Wizards Had Sold D&D

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-07, 10:07 PM
This thread is inspired by an old post on the EnWorld forums concerning the same subject matter. Sadly, I am unable to find it. Just bare in mind that much of what I am saying is unoriginal. The main difference is that the post was brief and tongue-in-cheek, while mine is longer and more serious.

The Wizards of the Coast are obviously not going to sell D&D. D&D Fifth Edition proves this. Imagine, however, an alternate universe where instead of announcing a new edition, the Wizards announced that they would sell D&D.

If they sold it to Fantasy Flight Games, D&D would turn into a tactical miniatures game with roleplaying elements. It would have a heavy focus on miniatures combat, would look gorgeous, would be well-written, and would cost significantly more than it already does.

If they sold it to White Wolf, D&D would focus much more of narrative. It would become a storytelling game where most mechanics are very abstract. The writing would be solid, the subject matter would become darker, the art would be hit-or-miss, and the production value would drop slightly.

If they sold it to Evil Hat Publishing, the game would both become lighter on the rules and focus more on player empowerment. The subject matter would become more light-hearted and bizarre, and published adventures would seem like they were written while intoxicated.

... What about other companies?

Flame of Anor
2012-07-07, 10:12 PM
If they sold it to Electronic Arts, large sections of the core rulebooks would be padlocked and you'd have to buy the keys separately for large prices.

TheGeckoKing
2012-07-07, 10:17 PM
Oooo! Ooo! I have one!

If WotC sold D&D to Fatal Games, then it would be a game so wrong that even the mad gods that dwell between the stars and infinities of this universe would recoil in horror from it. Mothers would whisper stories of fear and grief about the game to quell their children's disobedience, and memorials would be erected to those poor, poor souls lost to the game's madness.

But hey! It would be historically accurate! :smallsmile:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-07, 10:21 PM
Oooo! Ooo! I have one!

If WotC sold D&D to Fatal Games, then it would be a game so wrong that even the mad gods that dwell between the stars and infinities of this universe would recoil in horror from it. Mothers would whisper stories of fear and grief about the game to quell their children's disobedience, and memorials would be erected to those poor, poor souls lost to the game's madness.

But hey! It would be historically accurate! :smallsmile:

If they sold it to Fatal Games, by friends would play it with frightening enthusiasm. Its popularity would also either greatly increase or decrease.

SamBurke
2012-07-08, 11:46 PM
If they'd sold it to Valve:

DnD Next would be a running joke, hidden in innumerable easter eggs in myriad of minor free updates containing tiny, hard to remember class fixes and a ton, a TON of new enchanted items. No actual work would be done, except random new dungeons.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-09, 12:58 AM

DnD Next would be a running joke, hidden in innumerable easter eggs in myriad of minor free updates containing tiny, hard to remember class fixes and a ton, a TON of new enchanted items. No actual work would be done, except random new dungeons.

That's a bit mean. I think Valve handles TF2 relatively well.

SamBurke
2012-07-09, 01:14 AM
That's a bit mean. I think Valve handles TF2 relatively well.

I'm an addicted TF2 player, and I agree: it does.

But apply its strategy to DnD, and you'll find a very similar thing.

In fact, I'd love that strategy. Free dungeons and new, small, updates? Eeeeeyes.

Randomguy
2012-07-09, 10:01 AM

Also the dungeons would focus more on problem solving and less on combat. And they would be awesome.

Mordokai
2012-07-09, 11:43 AM
If they sold it to Fantasy Flight Games, D&D would turn into a tactical miniatures game with roleplaying elements. It would have a heavy focus on miniatures combat, would look gorgeous, would be well-written, and would cost significantly more than it already does.

FF already has their own roleplaying system.

http://www.ciphergames.com/media/Fantasy_Flight/anima/anima1.jpg

Some of your points hold true for it... and then again, some don't.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-09, 12:08 PM

*Snip!*

Some of your points hold true for it... and then again, some don't.

I'll look into that.

I envisioned a FFG roleplaying game as being Fourth Edition taken even further, with better art and writing.

Ziegander
2012-07-09, 12:16 PM
Anima, to me anyway, seemed horrifyingly tedious to play. It does have good art, but not better art. To me, currently, you can't get any better than Wayne Reynolds, and Pathfinder already has him.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-09, 12:20 PM
Anima, to me anyway, seemed horrifyingly tedious to play. It does have good art, but not better art. To me, currently, you can't get any better than Wayne Reynolds, and Pathfinder already has him.

Wayne Reynolds is pretty damn awesome. I certainly plan on buying his artbook.

Mordokai
2012-07-09, 12:30 PM
I'll look into that.

I envisioned a FFG roleplaying game as being Fourth Edition taken even further, with better art and writing.

Naaahhhh... it is, however, as pointed out, somewhat tedious to play. I mean, they recommend a calculator as one of the props for playing.

Because the bonuses start at +10 and go all the way up to +200.

It is and I'm not arguing it. However, I mainly bought it because I wanted to get better look into the lore of Gaia, what drives certain organisations, gods and devils, magic, the world itself...

As a system, I find Anima sorely lacking. As a setting, I find it superb.

jaybird
2012-07-10, 12:18 AM

I feel like FFG writes good simulationist games. Streamlining said simulationism, of course, is a work in progress, as you can see if you go through the five 40kRP games in order or publication. They're getting a lot better at it.

Vknight
2012-07-10, 12:57 AM
If Bethesda got a hold of D&D
The game would be focused on the setting with cools bits very early on, but the higher level the more borken things would get no matter how you played to the point your master of the longsword could kill people with his toes. Or
Everything scales poorly mages can barely do anything, rogues cannot survive any direct combat and can never stealth, fighters are the only ones who can do a single thing and even then die easily to magic
But you can't kill any NPC's, children, shop keepers, etc
And if you try to say no they force you down that path until you either accept or break and hit them until they fall over and get up.

Also don't be mean to my favorite edition...

Grail
2012-07-10, 02:10 AM
If the sold it to Nightfall Games it would be a dark dystopian fantasy setting where half orcs were bio-engineered soldiers, magic was only available to a few races who would metamorph into demons at a certain level, and characters worked for the worst monsters I'n the world eliminating rivals. Civillians would be kept pacified by watching brutal blood sports and healing magic would be replaced by addictive combat drugs.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-07-10, 02:19 AM
The instructions would also be impossible to understand on a first read-through, with a great many people getting the rules wrong on their first go because of badly-organized books. (unless they organize their RPG rules better than their boardgame rules...)

If they sold it to White Wolf, D&D would focus much more of narrative. It would become a storytelling game where most mechanics are very abstract. The writing would be solid, the subject matter would become darker, the art would be hit-or-miss, and the production value would drop slightly.
There would be 200% more trenchcoats. And they would change it to a d10 dice pool game. Paragon and epic tears would become, respectively, broken and uber-broken. (And, actually, White Wolf games are not terribly narrative-based or more abstract by the books. They're more like streamlined modern D&D. The storytelling elements come from the GM.)

If they sold it to Luke Crane, you would get a repackaged Burning Wheel Gold. :smallbiggrin:

king.com
2012-07-10, 02:46 AM
The instructions would also be impossible to understand on a first read-through, with a great many people getting the rules wrong on their first go because of badly-organized books. (unless they organize their RPG rules better than their boardgame rules...)

They're not the best but they are getting better at it.

Siegel
2012-07-10, 03:27 AM
If they sold it to Luke Crane, you would get a repackaged Burning Wheel Gold. :smallbiggrin:

WRONG!

You would get an amzing game about dungeon exploration. More closer to 0 edition DnD then to Burning Wheel. You get this feeling from his posts about him playing Moldvay DnD.

Mordokai
2012-07-10, 03:40 AM
They're not the best but they are getting better at it.

To be fair to FFG, while pretty much all of their rules are somewhat of hard to understand, they usually make games very balanced and fun to play. For me at least, that overweights somewhat harder to understand rules.

Anima, the card game and Arkham Horror are two great examples.

Totally Guy
2012-07-10, 05:35 AM
You would get an amzing game about dungeon exploration. More closer to 0 edition DnD then to Burning Wheel. You get this feeling from his posts about him playing Moldvay DnD.

Luke demo'd a Mouse Guard hack called Dungeoneers and Dragonslayers back in November. At the time he said he'd get it playtested and sold as a way of raising money for his friend Alexander who'd had a stroke.

I hope it's still going ahead.

Grail
2012-07-10, 05:57 AM
If the sold it to Nightfall Games it would be a dark dystopian fantasy setting where half orcs were bio-engineered soldiers, magic was only available to a few races who would metamorph into demons at a certain level, and characters worked for the worst monsters I'n the world eliminating rivals. Civillians would be kept pacified by watching brutal blood sports and healing magic would be replaced by addictive combat drugs.

Oh, and I forgot...

Investigative, mystery, conspiracy theories would be the order of the day. The game would take place in and below massive cities. sewer crawls would replace dungeon crawls and the undead would just be more employees of your boss. There would be multiple truths about the world, ethos, people, places and god's but only one would be The Truth, but they'd still all get you killed.

The catch-phrase of the game would be "swords kill, but so does the truth".

Morty
2012-07-10, 06:48 AM
To be fair to FFG, while pretty much all of their rules are somewhat of hard to understand, they usually make games very balanced and fun to play. For me at least, that overweights somewhat harder to understand rules.

From what I've seen of Anima, it seems like a good system, better at heroic, high-powered fantasy than D&D. But the rules really are daunting and very hard to wrap your head around.

Morph Bark
2012-07-10, 07:16 AM
Since some people mentioned EA and Valve, I'm starting to wonder the possibilities if a different gaming company was involved...

The Glyphstone
2012-07-10, 08:16 AM
If they sold it to Bioware, the game would ship with a fully written campaign setting giving lavish detail about every inch of the world right down to the motivations and sample dialogue for NPCs. Every 17th page of the actual rulebook would be illegible gibberish.

industrious
2012-07-10, 08:24 AM
If they sold it to Palladium Games, then 5th Edition would look like a more complex, Byzantine version of 2nd Edition. The setting would be lavish, the art amazing, and the production values completely bare bones.

Each book would detail a 50 by 50 mile square of Greyhawk. And they'd never be another edition for over 20 years.

king.com
2012-07-10, 08:46 AM

I spend 90% of my time on these forums ranting about how great FFG products are you dont need to try to sell me on it. They just are usually bad at writing their rulebooks.

Jay R
2012-07-10, 08:50 AM
If they sold it to TSR, it would be a complicated system focused on simulation of warfare and fantasy worlds, aimed at miniatures/fantasy geeks, and with a reputation for being deadly.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-07-10, 08:53 AM
From what I've seen of Anima, it seems like a good system, better at heroic, high-powered fantasy than D&D. But the rules really are daunting and very hard to wrap your head around.

It is a great system, really flexible in the kind of characters you can create, an awesome setting (though a bit heavy on ultra powerful hidden organizations for my tastes), it has a kind of balance between all clasess and sub-system (Magic vs. Ki dominion vs. psychic matrixes) though obviously there are some exploits.

But I have to agree it is a complex system and thatnyou really need to sit down and read the books thouroughly to understand the game.

SamBurke
2012-07-10, 12:23 PM
If they sold it to TSR, it would be a complicated system focused on simulation of warfare and fantasy worlds, aimed at miniatures/fantasy geeks, and with a reputation for being deadly.

Mind. Freaking. Blown.

I would have never have seen that coming.

*Sarcasm hand slides up.*

Blisstake
2012-07-10, 12:33 PM
If they sold it to Paizo Publishing, it would be buried forever so that Pathfinder is free of it's largest competetor. Stats for Mindflayers and Beholders would appear in the next Bestiary.

SamBurke
2012-07-10, 12:41 PM
If they sold it to Paizo Publishing, it would be buried forever so that Pathfinder is free of it's largest competetor. Stats for Mindflayers and Beholders would appear in the next Bestiary.

And all would rejoice.

Although, Paizo most likely wouldn't kill it, because it does make a lot of money.

More likely, they'd merge it, creating DnD for the simulationist people, and PF for the more story-driven guys.

Then they'd be pretty awesome. And a little rich.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-10, 12:54 PM
If they sold it to Activision, the game would become an unbalanced, rules-heavy, gritty, over-complicated slog. The fan-base would suddenly be composed of obnoxious, ultra-racist, homophobic fifteen-year-olds who like to scream at eachother.

NoldorForce
2012-07-10, 01:45 PM

http://www.ciphergames.com/media/Fantasy_Flight/anima/anima1.jpgAnima isn't actually their system; they just happen to publish the English translation of an originally Spanish game.

On topic, if Posthuman Studios got a hold of it, magic would require in-character mental illness to even be selected, character creation would require a spreadsheet, and the Tippyverse would be the default campaign setting.

Flame of Anor
2012-07-10, 03:33 PM

No, no, see, if Valve had it, we'd never have had 3rd Edition.

Kurald Galain
2012-07-10, 03:44 PM
If they sold it to Apple then it would become a streamlined system with only one ability score and one kind of dice used, but the rulebooks would look so artsy that you would want to hang them on your wall.

Blisstake
2012-07-10, 04:54 PM
Although, Paizo most likely wouldn't kill it, because it does make a lot of money.

More likely, they'd merge it, creating DnD for the simulationist people, and PF for the more story-driven guys.

Then they'd be pretty awesome. And a little rich.

Nah, they actually make a huge deal out of not splitting up their own fanbase (that's the reason there's only one campaign setting, unlike the countless ones of D&D)

Mando Knight
2012-07-10, 05:15 PM
If they sold it to Bioware, the game would ship with a fully written campaign setting giving lavish detail about every inch of the world right down to the motivations and sample dialogue for NPCs. Every 17th page of the actual rulebook would be illegible gibberish.
And being owned by EA, would release monsters, player options, and dungeons individually, with the first few sets being decoder rings to allow you to read what's written on every 17th page of the first rulebook.

If they sold it to Apple then it would become a streamlined system with only one ability score and one kind of dice used, but the rulebooks would look so artsy that you would want to hang them on your wall.
They would also cost about $80 for each book.

If they sold it to Nintendo, it would have very little online support, and the first books would have a very cartoony and kid-friendly appearance. However, the Pokémon, Fire Emblem, and Legend of Zelda Campaign Settings would be immensely popular.

If Hasbro decided to take D&D away from WotC, we would have the Transformers, G.I. Joe, and My Little Pony Campaign Settings. D&D and Transformers fans would claim that the respective franchises have been RUINED FOREVER regardless of quality, but continue to purchase the products anyway.

Akal Saris
2012-07-10, 07:09 PM
If they sold it to General Mills, each boxed set would have a free mini hidden somewhere inside, and the iconic characters would include Count Chocula, Franken Berry, and Boo Berry, while PHB II would have Fruit Brute and Fruity Yummy Mummy.

NM020110
2012-07-10, 07:15 PM
If sold to Blizzard Entertainment, the game would be highly polished and well balanced, with constant updates. Its release date would be Soon(tm).

Grail
2012-07-10, 07:27 PM
If they sold it to Games Workshop, Orcs would be plants...... enough said! :smallsigh:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-10, 07:55 PM
If sold to Blizzard Entertainment, the game would be highly polished and well balanced, with constant updates. Its release date would be Soon(tm).

If they sold it to Blizzard, there would be endless level-grinding, dumbed down adventures, and sad commercials featuring has-been celebrities who REALLY need pay checks.

That being said, it would look nice, and there would be plenty of circular rune-scribed portals.

NM020110
2012-07-10, 08:00 PM
Good point. I was looking more at Warcraft 3 than WoW when writing.

Geddoe
2012-07-10, 08:04 PM

If all the art of Anima was by the person who did the cover, Anima might be the prettiest RPG I have ever seen. I like Wen-M(aside from some weirdness on chins) for a lot of the Anima art, but that cover is beautiful.

Wayne Reynolds is good too, but I prefer the cover of Anima to any art I have seen from Wayne.

I also don't find it boring, but to each their own.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-10, 08:23 PM
Good point. I was looking more at Warcraft 3 than WoW when writing.

No, you had it right the first time. WoW is their biggest-name product, but there's Diablo (took forever to release), Starcraft (still taking forever to release), and Titan (taking forever+ to release and is still top secret to boot). "highly polished and well balanced, with constant updates. Its release date would be Soon(tm)" is accurate.:smallcool:

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-10, 08:36 PM
No, you had it right the first time. WoW is their biggest-name product, but there's Diablo (took forever to release), Starcraft (still taking forever to release), and Titan (taking forever+ to release and is still top secret to boot). "highly polished and well balanced, with constant updates. Its release date would be Soon(tm)" is accurate.:smallcool:

You're right. I was a bit unfair there. I was looking at Blizzard's worst product.

The Starcraft and Warcraft franchises are fun as hell. Never played any Diablo games, though.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-10, 08:43 PM
Diablo II is still a decently fun game despite its age. I loved the heck out of Diablo III, but it did cause a wee bit of a Broken Base because of how strongly it departed mechanics-wise from the D2 everyone knew and loved.

Logic
2012-07-10, 10:17 PM
Diablo II is still a decently fun game despite its age.THIS. I can't speak for Diablo III, I haven't played it. The series doesn't appeal to me as much as it did when I was 16.

BACK ON TOPIC:

If D&D were sold to Disney there would be a new campaign released nearly every year, with a new princess to rescue!

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-10, 10:33 PM
If D&D was sold to Disney, the adventures would be repetitive, vividly coloured, and lacking in any kind of interesting ideas. They would be kid-friendly, but would have an increasing number of hidden adult jokes.

NoldorForce
2012-07-10, 10:37 PM
If they sold it to Blizzard, there would be endless level-grinding, dumbed down adventures, and sad commercials featuring has-been celebrities who REALLY need pay checks.

That being said, it would look nice, and there would be plenty of circular rune-scribed portals.Considering what I've seen of the MMO market this doesn't apply to Blizzard nearly as much as Sony Online, Square Enix (Team 3), and countless Korean companies.

Seerow
2012-07-10, 10:39 PM
Considering what I've seen of the MMO market this doesn't apply to Blizzard nearly as much as Sony Online, Square Enix (Team 3), and countless Korean companies.

This is sadly true. WoW is probably the least grindy MMO I've played.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-10, 10:58 PM

Faxion, during its short life, hardly had any grinding. Shame it had to die.

Knaight
2012-07-11, 01:46 AM

You need to find better MMOs.

SamBurke
2012-07-11, 02:09 AM

And it would suddenly become a hipster sensation. All the "cool kids" would make lame references to Armor Class without having the slightest idea how it worked.

I have no idea if that's bad or good...

Kurald Galain
2012-07-11, 02:19 AM
If D&D was bought by Microsoft then every die would have a blue face on one side, and if you roll that, your character dies. :smalltongue:

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-11, 02:31 AM
If D&D were sold to Obsidian, the budget would be slashed in half. We'd get the main rulebook three quarters finished and filled with typos, but the three quarters that were finished would be of astounding quality when not fraught with impossible gramatical errors that destroy campaigns. After half a dozen splatbooks fixing most of the problems with the main book and a concerted effort by the internet we'd have one of the best RPGs ever made, but by that point most of the fans would have thrown it down in frustration and it would have been panned horribly by critics. Then, a few years later, we'd get a similar game in a completely different setting with exactly the same problems, and Obsidian would lose the rights to D&D.

Eldan
2012-07-11, 07:37 AM
If D&D was bought by Microsoft then every die would have a blue face on one side, and if you roll that, your character dies. :smalltongue:

And that's the updated version. In the last one, rolling a 1 on a d20 meant that an agent of microsoft would come by and paint blue paint over every page in your DMG.

In the next version, they are taking away the books, as oyu don't need them anymore. Or rather, you can still have them, but they are hidden behind a bookshelf, and you have to search for them. Also, ending a session means searching for a way to leave your game room for five minutes.

Cealocanth
2012-07-11, 10:47 PM
Let's see, if they sold it to Mojang,the minis, and dungeon tiles would become highly stylized, nearly identical in wording and imagery, but you would be able to roll a single die to tell which dungeon tile goes next in a dungeon. They would scrap the rules all into a single rulebook, but hide that rulebook until you asked them in person for it. Furthermore, they would drop all but six or so monsters, each character would have only two attacks that can be improved to a limited amount each level, and it would rely heavily on homebrewed material to keep the game interesting.

Lhurgyof
2012-07-11, 11:23 PM
If George Lucas bought D&D, he'd release Original Original D&D v. 1, 2, and 3.

Fans would hate Greyhawks prequels, wherein one of the main NPCs is a kender.

SamBurke
2012-07-11, 11:38 PM

This is exactly how it would go down.

Then the internet would argue over it EVEN. MORE.

dps
2012-07-12, 10:19 AM
If they sold it to General Motors, half the pages would fall out of the binding when you open up the rulebooks.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2012-07-12, 11:03 AM
If they sold it to Microsoft, they would try to create a hybrid model my merging all of the classes into one, making that class less flavourful and distinct than any of the classes that it was derived from. There would also be one all-encompassing mechanic which would barley work. And the advertising would be laughably bad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6z2zfoi16g&feature=related).

Mando Knight
2012-07-12, 12:54 PM

Special Edition D&D, you mean. Mordenkainen was "always" played by Hayden Christiansen, remember? And that goblin won initiative against Regdar, it just missed its attack.

And when people complain about the changes, he'll eventually re-release the "originals," copied from some of the lower-quality printings. At least the special edition had fairly nicely remastered artwork...

Seharvepernfan
2012-07-14, 04:57 AM
If they sold it to Fedex, the books would arrive on time, but every 20th copy would be completely demolished. And they'd make eleventy-billion dollars a year but never fix the goddamn forklifts.

I hate my job.

SamBurke
2012-07-14, 05:00 AM
If they sold it to Fedex, the books would arrive on time, but every 20th copy would be completely demolished. And they'd make eleventy-billion dollars a year but never fix the goddamn forklifts.

I hate my job.

I read that and then looked at your signature.

I think I'll take that personality test... seems about half of them were right on.

Also, I pity thee, good sir. Just don't go...:smallsmile: -------> :smallcool: Postal.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAAAH!

Seharvepernfan
2012-07-14, 05:32 AM
I read that and then looked at your signature.

I think I'll take that personality test... seems about half of them were right on.

Also, I pity thee, good sir. Just don't go...:smallsmile: -------> :smallcool: Postal.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAAAH!

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd sigged.

SamBurke
2012-07-14, 02:40 PM
Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd sigged.

The honor is all mine!

kardar233
2012-07-15, 04:39 AM
If they sold it to Catalyst Game Labs, they'd release a core rulebook set that was the same as the one before but with somewhat arbitrary fixes of the most obvious imbalances, stuff it full of decent (but sometimes quite strange) short stories and arrange it in the most twisted and arcane way possible, making it impossible to find whatever you're looking for unless it's completely obvious.

They'd then release two big splats, and then talk about releasing a third one while releasing a ton of dungeon crawls, historical documents and whole books full of non-canon rumours.

Augmental
2012-07-15, 05:08 AM
If D&D was sold to Bay12Games, the core rulebook would be born from the AD&D core rules, 1st Edition D&D core rules, and 3rd Edition core rules colliding at light speed in the Large Hadron Collider. The Higgs Boson would appear for a brief moment, but go unnoticed because the scientists are too busy wondering where that new book came from.

Oh, and it would be released while it's still in alpha, and yet still be loved by many.

SamBurke
2012-07-15, 04:15 PM
If D&D was sold to Bay12Games, the core rulebook would be born from the AD&D core rules, 1st Edition D&D core rules, and 3rd Edition core rules colliding at light speed in the Large Hadron Collider. The Higgs Boson would appear for a brief moment, but go unnoticed because the scientists are too busy wondering where that new book came from.

Oh, and it would be released while it's still in alpha, and yet still be loved by many.

Where have I heard that name before...?

Augmental
2012-07-15, 08:39 PM
Where have I heard that name before...?

They're the company that made Dwarf Fortress. :smalltongue: