PDA

View Full Version : Switching Roles - Arslan

yougi
2012-07-08, 01:03 AM
For ease of reference, character sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=420318) and interview questions (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13516951&postcount=51)

Early into this cold, damp day of autumn, Arslan gets near the entrance to the city of Hammersburg. The two city guards are standing on each side of the entrance, questioning those who are about to enter the city.

After about ten minutes, it finally is the barbarian's turn. One of the guards, a dark-skinned, middle-aged human sporting a thick mustache, while barely looking at him, asks him the usual, while the other waits the answers to write them in a large leather bound book:

How are you named, where are you from, and why do you come to our splendid city?

Mangles
2012-07-08, 05:39 AM
Arslan pushes the soulknife out of the way, butting into his turn. "My name is Arslan-Gal from Toukantam. I'm here to find some strong arms. You know any?"

yougi
2012-07-08, 09:31 AM
My bad, forgot to change the names! :smallbiggrin:

While the younger of the two guards write down the information, the older one answers with enthusiasm:

"That's what I'm talking about! We've been having some creepy dudes today, you know, so many wizards and stuff, sends shivers down your spine. Now a REAL man! Those strong arms, if you don't mind me asking, how honourable are you needing them to be? 'Cause there are some pretty broad shouldered guys who hang out at the Boar's Tongue, but you can't turn your back on them and you better keep their hands busy, if they're bored they get outta control. If you prefer guys with more in their heads, then you must go to Last Whispers, another tavern, either that or if it can be declared as official business for the sake of the nation, you can ask Captain Strongarm. Oh, and my name's Gulf, Gulf Sunpride, and I could be interested."

To that last comment, the younger guard rolls his eyes.

Mangles
2012-07-09, 04:01 PM
"I don't think this can be called official business by any account. Why don't you give me a run down of your exploits Gulf and I'll keep you in mind while I look for other members in town."

Arslan winks at the younger guard knowingly.

yougi
2012-07-09, 06:04 PM
"My... my exploits... Well the other day, I... I put down a moose in one arrow!"

Mangles
2012-07-10, 01:45 AM
"With just one arrow. I'll keep you in mind as a bench mark for any others I can recruit." With that Arslan enters the city and leaves the guards behind. He goes to the boars head to get a drink and the lay of the land. As he steps in the door he moves to the right and stands there until his eyes adjust to the light, taking in his surroundings.

yougi
2012-07-10, 02:01 AM
A smelly dwarf (I mean, smelly even by dwarven standards) lets a shout go from behind the counter towards the barbarian:

"Big guy! Want something to drink?"

Around the room are three tables of patrons: at one table are a slender human male in colorful clothes (think pirate), a halfling in a dark cloak, his head covered in his hood, and a half-orc male wearing a suit of chainmail, playing dice while clearly inebriated. Around them are a crowd of female groupies, mostly grouped behind the halfling.

The second table sports three half-elves who are having a discussion around bowls of stew and glasses of wine. All of them sport studded leather armors and have blades on their hips (respectively rapier, scimitar and longsword, to be exact).

At the last one, in a corner of the room are a half-orc female and a human male having an emotional discussion, the half-orc having planted a dagger in the table already..

Mangles
2012-07-10, 05:04 AM
Arslan heads over to the counter and orders a drink. He takes a large swig before talking. "I'm new in town and looking for a few men for hire. I was told here was the place to come, but it looks like you can't keep your women in order." Arslan nods towards the female half orc. "Still do you know of anyone keen to partake in some manual labour."

yougi
2012-07-10, 09:11 AM
"You know big guy, around here, manual labor can mean different things."

He puts his fist in his hand, cracking his knuckle. "Manual labor"

He pretends to have a dagger and theatrically stab someone with it. "Manual labor"

He pretends to be sneaky and takes a purse away from one of his waitresses. "Manual labor" "HEY! That's mine boss!"

He then points at the ladies around the dice game: "They all do manual labor too."

"You see chum, you'll have to be a tad more specific. Militia only come here if it's to arrest someone. You can speak to your heart's contempt."

Mangles
2012-07-10, 04:31 PM
"Very well. I'd like some work where my sword is required, preferably in someone's chest. I'm also looking for a job requiring more than one man, to see if any of these fella's has metal. Do you have a job, and any recommendations for a crew?" Arslan looks at the ladies appraisingly. "I'll have to test the lady's labours later I think."

yougi
2012-07-10, 11:24 PM
He laughs at that last bit. "Well, if you ask, I have an idea. How good of a fighter are you?"

Mangles
2012-07-11, 01:24 AM
"With my sword, In my tribe I was the best born my year. With my fists, well I've seen better style, but I do pack a punch." Arslan finishes his drink.
What do you have in mind?"

yougi
2012-07-11, 11:11 AM
"Well you'd have to show me you're good enough in a fight, but that amount of muscle sure looks impressive. If you show me you can beat one of those half-elves in a fight, I'll tell you about what I have in mind."

Mangles
2012-07-11, 04:18 PM
"You sure you want to loose a customer?" Raising his eyebrows, Arslan starts to draw his sword.

yougi
2012-07-11, 09:40 PM
"I was actually thinking of wrestling, lad. Please, no blood in the tavern. At least, not during the light."

Mangles
2012-07-12, 03:00 AM
"Have it your way." Arslan turns and sizes up the half-elves. Picking out the biggest one, he circles the table, taps the half-elves shoulder and lets out a roar as he throws a punch at his face.

attack roll against the hopefully surprised half elf. [roll0] for [roll1]

Mangles
2012-07-12, 03:05 AM
"FIGHT PUNY ELF BLOOD."

forgot initiative [roll0]

yougi
2012-07-12, 09:38 AM
A direct man I see, I love it.

Initiative for them: [roll0]

yougi
2012-07-12, 09:41 AM
Just noticed, did you really not buy armor?

Attack:
[roll0] for [roll1]

The other two get up, and stay near, looking at the barman.

Mangles
2012-07-12, 05:34 PM
"HAHA WEAK ELF."

attack [roll0] for [roll1]

Apparently I forgot armour, did my punch in the surprise round hit?

yougi
2012-07-12, 11:56 PM
Sorry, nope it didn't. This one did though.

The half-elf falls to the ground. One of his two buddies goes to him to make sure he's alright, while the other stares at you, frustrated.

"Well that should do it big guy," says the bar tender. He makes a sign to a barmaid: "Take care of the place, I'll bring big guy to my office. Make sure Galphas doesn't bleed everywhere." He then walks to a door behind the bar, opens it, and welcomes you in with an extended arm.

Mangles
2012-07-13, 01:44 AM
Arslan stands still for a moment, breathing heavily and letting his rage subside. As he walks past one of the half elves he pats him on the shoulder and gives him a wink.
"At least he fought back, maybe he is better than an elf."
With that he enters the barman's office.

yougi
2012-07-13, 02:04 AM
Drogth (tavern owner): That was a pretty strong punch big guy. Here's what I had in mind. If you're as good with weapons as you are with your fists, there's an underground gladiator fighting ring, and there's a LOT of money to be made. I've recently lost my champion, and I'm looking for another one. Would you be interested in getting paid to fight other sissies like that elf blood?

Mangles
2012-07-13, 10:37 AM
"There is no glory in fighting like a dog Arslan smirks. But I'm not after glory. I'd need some armour, and preferably an underhanded advantage, but if the cash is right than you can count me in."

yougi
2012-07-13, 01:09 PM
At the mention of underhanded advantage, the man smiles.

He opens a chest, takes out a suit of chainmail armor, and a weird-looking leather and steel bracer. "The bracer you'll like: When you flick your wrist, a dagger comes out. It's a nice back-up weapon, plus it's easy to surprise someone with it. Also useful in grapples. Anyway, try these on, if they fit, keep them, and be back here tonight around midnight. If you're not here, I'll make sure I get this equipment back. And don't mention my name to anyone: you're new in town and too scared to come in these slums. We never met."

You can give yourself 150XP for the half-elf, as short as that was.

Mangles
2012-07-13, 04:21 PM
"Very well. What's my cut if I win tonight, and where can I place a bet?"
Once a price is agreed upon, Arslan dons the bracer and the chain mail shirt and leaves the establishment.

I don't really mind if you don't want to set an amount yet for my "job", but my character would want to know. I just want to establish that my character did ask for a price.

yougi
2012-07-13, 04:49 PM
"You'll get 100 pieces of gold for each match you win as a Pit Dog. Eventually, after your fifth fight or so, they'll put you on a list so you can go up in rank, where you'll get 175. When you go up in rank they'll give you some kind of magical gift, you know, maybe a good potion as a Pit Dog, but eventually they get better. For bets, a fighter can't place bets officially. Maybe you can find someone who will take you up on these."

As he walks towards the door, he stops before opening it: "And don't worry about dying. Clerics are there to bring them back to their feet. But if you lose, you'll fall back one rank, so that might be a problem. And you know, there's always the possibility that you'll be killed on the spot. That happens sometimes. I hope you ain't too scared about that though, or else you're not cut out for this."

Mangles
2012-07-14, 01:34 AM
"Hah. Fear is good, it gets the blood pumping. Fear can turn to rage very easily if you know how."

more to come when i have more time

Mangles
2012-07-14, 07:22 PM
Arslan leaves the Boar wearing his new kit and heads down a few back streets before hitting the main road again. He searches the way to the Last Whispers, and steps inside, once again moving to the side of the door and letting his eyes adjust before proceeding.

yougi
2012-07-15, 01:26 AM
The place is a quite lovely one, not luxurious, but warm and welcoming. Many customers are there, of all races and size, wearing all kinds of different things in different colors. Not many are sitting at a table, most of them standing up, leaning on a pillar or a table, all of them a single large group.

A cute teenage girl, innocent-looking, comes to you: "Are you looking for someone in particular?"

Mangles
2012-07-15, 08:48 AM
Arslan looms over the teen "You can get me a drink and point me to a man who takes wagers."

yougi
2012-07-15, 08:57 AM
"You look like you're more into beer than wine, right?" As she goes to pour you one behind the counter: "Wagers? What kind of wagers? Thomas likes to bet on stupid stuff, but you don't look like that's what you mean."

Mangles
2012-07-15, 09:10 AM
"Thomas sounds like a good fool to have in a bar like this." Arslan walks to the counter and waits for his drink. "Does someone here take bets on fights, or maybe dogs or dice? In a city like this someone always takes wagers. Who takes them here?"

yougi
2012-07-15, 02:10 PM
"Organizing fights and betting on them is illegal in this nation, mister. If you want to play dice though, those two dwarves back there often play, maybe they'd invite you into their game."

yougi
2012-07-15, 02:37 PM
By the way, this (https://rpgathenaeum.wordpress.com/2012/05/26/recruiting-101-for-an-rpg-villain/) could be interesting to you for this game.

Mangles
2012-07-15, 05:15 PM
"I'm sorry little one, I am new to this nation. It was an honest mistake. Bring my drink to the table with the dwarfs for me, in a few minutes."
Arslan leaves the girl and heads to the dwarf's table. "May I join you for a game, the girl says your quite the players."

yougi
2012-07-15, 08:40 PM
"So the big guy wants to play dice! What do you say Torbek?"

"Sure, let him play, I'd sure like to get some more silver! You know how to play Hangman by the Wind? Or Dragon Brothers? Or maybe you'd be more into Pierced Cloak?"

Do you want to put time into playing the game, or do you want to just go through it quickly by just saying each player rolls a d20, and whoever has the lowest gives the other the difference between the two dice in silver pieces?

Mangles
2012-07-16, 04:01 AM
"I don't know these games, but I'm sure your going to teach me. We play one round without cash and then we bet." Arslan passes the time in the tavern with the two dwarfs and their dice. Buying a round of drinks for the dwarfs and generally being merry.

lets just go through the quick way for now. I'm just giving Arslan something to do besides sleeping before the big fight. Also I think I owe you about a SP for all the drinks, going off the srd price, unless you think they should cost more. I'm happy either way.

[roll0]

yougi
2012-07-16, 09:56 AM
For drinks at these two inns, sure, srd prices. Rooms will be different, and drinks at the Dragon's Horn are expensive.

The dwarves' roll: [roll0].

As the evening advances, the dwarves ask Arslan what he does for a living, where he's from and what he's doing in Hammersburg. The two young players seem impressed by Arslan muscular physique and general warrior look.

yougi
2012-07-16, 09:57 AM
So you made a whooping 5 sp playing those dwarves.

Mangles
2012-07-16, 05:49 PM
Arslan orders another round for the dwarfs with his winnings. He passes the time talking about his home and asking the dwarfs if there are many other freelance warriors in this city. Before it gets to late he signals the young tavern girl over. "I need a room for the night. Do you lot have one, preferably with a window that opens, I like the morning air."

It covers drink costs ;)

yougi
2012-07-16, 06:34 PM
Dwarves: "Well, that depends on the kind of jobs you need to have completed. There are guys at the Boar's Tongue who would do pretty much anything for a few coins. Or you could put a sign up next to the door of this place, you'd probably get a few sellswords who'd be in."

Waitress: "Sure, a room for the night with window outside, that will be 5 silver."

Mangles
2012-07-16, 09:02 PM
"Very well, and how do I get you to come to my room."

yougi
2012-07-16, 10:12 PM
"Well if you need help of any kind, we can arrange for someone to come by during the night, to check on you, make sure you're alright. Do you have a special condition?", she asks with an innocent stare.

Mangles
2012-07-17, 02:38 AM
"I do, one only a woman can abate. Who do you belong too, they should be able to give me a price for you."

yougi
2012-07-17, 09:23 AM
"Well that's a very direct question, you really should ask my father about that, I don't think any of the dowry talk is supposed to go through the woman in question..."

Mangles
2012-07-17, 05:04 PM
"I don't want to keep you little thing. You have no value to me beyond tonight."

yougi
2012-07-18, 12:11 AM
The young lady seems to realize what you have been saying. Her face changes from this innocent shine to this shocked smug.

"If that's what you're looking for, I'd suggest you spend the night at the Boar's Tongue tonight. We don't rent here to those who want to take away a young lady's value."

Mangles
2012-07-18, 02:39 AM
"I wasn't suggesting taking anything, merely purchasing, although if it isn't your fancy I'll find someone who does. Is the room still up for rent. These dwarf's still need to win their money back off me."

Mangles
2012-07-19, 08:35 AM
Arslan sighs dramatically "I didn't want to have to drag your customers to the boars head to finish our dice games, but if you insist that I can't stay." He thinks to himself Bitch doesn't know how lucky she is that I need this room as a cover.

yougi
2012-07-19, 09:51 AM
"The room is only available to those who apologize after suggesting such foul ideas."

Mangles
2012-07-20, 09:50 PM
Arlan grits his teeth. Inside a torrent of rage and anger battle to overcome his senses. Fire, Murder and rape are all at the top of his thoughts as he hisses the word "Sorry" out and hands over 5 silver. When I am in power, her family will pay and she will be forced to bear my bastard.

yougi
2012-07-21, 09:56 PM
The young lady leads you up to your room: window with a view on the main street, bed, small chest, desk and chair.

"If you need anything, you can come downstairs, either me or my father will be there."

Mangles
2012-07-24, 02:22 AM
Arslan manages to subdue his urge to murder the taverns guests on his way to the bedroom. He spends the rest of the night relaxing and waiting for the fight.

When the time comes, he stashes what gold he has in the room and leaves by the front door. He seeks out the Boar and Drogth as quickly as possible.

"Are we ready to go? I'm looking forward to a fight."

yougi
2012-07-24, 06:05 PM
"Excellent!"

The dwarf gives a few direction to his staff, and then walks out, a sign of the hand instructing you to follow him.

"Today's your first time there, so honestly, you'll have to be a bit patient before the fight. People will want to see you, look at you and at how strong you are and stuff. Give them the show they want and I'll make it worth your while. You have to remember that this is a business: they make money off the wagers, but also, at least, for gladiators with a better rank, they sell tickets to see the show. When your shows start selling tickets, that's when we get to the real money. You have to make sure the audience feels the need to come and see you fight every time you hit the arena, and that can mean to act a bit outside of the ring."

He stops in the middle of a street and turns towards you: "And you remember that this is underground, and its led by the Consortium, and you don't want to mess with them, or someone widow will find your head in her bed, and some merchant your fingers in his packages. Understood?"

Mangles
2012-07-24, 07:01 PM
"Heh, don't worry about me. I've seen this sort of thing before, I know how it works. Pit fighting is in my peoples blood. Although if you wanted a spectacle you should have said earlier, I would have got prepared. Shall we get on with it?"

yougi
2012-07-27, 12:28 AM
"We shall!"

As he keep on walking, you end up in front of a small abandoned shack near one of the city's wall. He knocks a certain rhythm, and presses his fist on the door, which opens, revealing stone stairs going down: it is quite easy to understand that by going down those stairs, you are officially leaving the city. Whether that holds any legal meaning, you don't know.

At the bottom of the stairs is a small platform, and another door, with a large hobgoblin in front of it. They exchange pleasantries in a foreign language. He points at you a couple of time, and the hobgoblin looks pleased. He opens the door, revealing a large room filled with many duos such as yourself, with a warrior and a manager, walking around, talking.

"Stay close to me, it's easy to get shivved in here. And be extra polite to everyone, some people in here have some incredible pulls..."

As Drogth finishes his sentence, a small, dark skinned halfling approaches you, an Orc in studded leather armor by his side.

"Dirtborn, is that your new recruit?"

"Actually, yes it is."

"Well, here's mine. And he's going to CRUSH you, you weak-willed wild man. My champion-to-be has the disciplined soul of the unvanquishable warrior! How can you compete with this?"

Mangles
2012-07-27, 02:05 AM
"Clearly I can't, you should place your bets on him for the sure thing, I'm definitely the long shot, the underdog here. An orc verse a human. Why its hardly sporting to put us in the same ring. It would be a complete upset if I went and killed him, an embarrassment really." Arslan smiles at the Orc and his owner. A pity to waste such good potential if the trainer is right, but some deaths couldn't be helped.

yougi
2012-07-27, 01:04 PM
The halfling and his orc place a few more insults, then take their leaves.

Drogth brings you to a large room, with a balcony overlooking it, filled with people of different race, gender and apparatus. Around you are many dummies, straw targets, weapons laying around.

"Impress them" goes Drogth before leaving.

Then, a half-orc on the balcony speaks in a loud voice:

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is one of the new pit-dogs who will start today, under the tutelage of Drogth Dirtborn. Pit-Dog, show the crowd what you can do!"

Mangles
2012-07-27, 07:03 PM
Arslan strides over to the nearest training dummy. He grabs a javelin along the way. "Good evening all." He positions himself 10 feet from the dummy and hurls the javelin at it, then charges. Arslan draws his sword and slices the dummy.

Javelin: [roll0] for [roll1]
Sword: [roll2] for [roll3]

He turns and bows, grabbing another javelin off the ground."Thank you. I look forward to the real fight."

yougi
2012-07-29, 02:06 AM
The crowd seems really pleased at this announce. A man escorts you back to the entrance, tells you the way to get to the balcony, as it will be your opponent's turn shortly. He also tells you that your fight will be the first one of the evening.

Mangles
2012-07-31, 06:16 AM
"Good to have the first fight. Let's see what that orc can do eh? Can I keep this Javelin for the fight?" Arslan walks up to the balcony with a Javelin from the ring still in hand.

yougi
2012-07-31, 09:21 AM
"Why not, keep the javelin, and shove it in that Orc's guts! If it can make the show better!" goes the teenager escorting you.

From the balcony, you see the Orc, standing there, in his studded leather armor, wielding a greataxe. He swings wildly, and seems to be a less skilled warrior than you are, although his physical strength is quite impressive.

Drogth comes to see you: "That wasn't half bad pit dog. Wasn't half-bad! That orc seems good, but you can take him, no problem." He then switches to a whisper: "Don't forget the... ace up your sleeve." And he winks at you. Back to normal volume: "And you have about 20 minutes of pit dog show offs before your fight. Any last minute preparation you need?"

Mangles
2012-07-31, 04:38 PM
"Nothing before my fight. How many opponents do I face tonight?"

Mangles
2012-08-03, 10:47 PM
Arslan doesn't wait for a response, he heads for the pit, javelin in hand.

yougi
2012-08-06, 09:08 AM
If you win the first one, well then we can schedule you for a second one at the end of the night, if you have the energy for it."

As you get to the arena, you are alone in the pit. Eventually, after 10 minutes, the same loud voice booms through:

"Ladies and gentlemen, let this night begin. Today, we open the night with a battle between two VERY promising pit dogs! As pit dogs, however, they do not deserve presentations. Pit dogs, on the count of 3: 1, 2, 3!"

As the announcer reaches the final number, the crowd explodes in cheers and screams.

Initiative:
Arslan: [roll0]
Orc: [roll1]

Like I said in the OOC post, sorry for the delay. Such horrible downtime shouldn't occur again.

And in case you didn't know, tie breaker for initiative is highest Initiative bonus, so you can go ahead.

Mangles
2012-08-06, 05:07 PM
Arslan drops the javelin, changing his tactics to keep the orc off guard. He charges instead, letting out a guttural roar as he draws the greatsword and slashes at the orc.

Use rage
Charge attack: [roll0] for [roll1]

yougi
2012-08-06, 11:45 PM
I expected the fight to be one-sided, but still...

As your sword cleaves through the orc's chest, the crowd goes silent. The orc falls to his knees, then to the ground.

The booming voice goes off, although hesitantly: "And the Barbarian WINS THE MATCH!"

And the crowd goes loud again.

A man in banded mail armor comes around and puts his hands on the orc, reciting a prayer to his god.

In the crowd, you see your manager, his figure paralyzed in shock, then making you a sign to come and meet him.

Mangles
2012-08-07, 02:50 AM
Arslan roar's at the crowd, shaking his sword in the air, he lingers and enjoys the moment before grabbing his javelin and joining his manager. "I thought that Orc was meant to be tough? One slice and he went down. So was that the show you wanted?"

i didnt expect it to be over that quickly, Arslan is a boss.

yougi
2012-08-07, 09:02 AM
"A show? That was not a show, it was over in seconds! You need to make it look like you're actually struggling with this! That being said, I'm happy to see you're a real man, and not some kid who tries to make a fortune and then dies on us. After a demonstration like this one, they'll ask you for another fight tonight. You'd get about 3 hours before your fight to cool down and do whatever, and then second fight, gets you richer and closer to the promotion."

Mangles
2012-08-07, 06:29 PM
"At least it will shut that idiot up who was hassling you at the start of the match. You should just throw him into the pit, he wouldn't last long." Arslan thumbs his blade absent-mindedly, "If I start with the Javelin, the other guy might stand a chance. If I wound him at the start I can still win and give you a better show. Where's the bar, I need a drink and a wench to tide me over till the next fight."

yougi
2012-08-07, 10:37 PM
"Oh I'd pay to have that dumb halfling in there! And the bar is right over there, and wenches will be waiting after such a display of... athleticism!" He winks.

Mangles
2012-08-08, 04:29 AM
"How much would you pay to see the halfling in the ring? Just in case I ever get the opportunity, I want to get paid." Arslan heads to the bar and gets a drink and a girl. He lounges around the bar waiting for his next fight and enjoying the women slightly more than is respectable in a public place.

yougi
2012-08-10, 09:51 PM
"Haha, good one!" goes the dwarf, not taking you seriously.

At the bar, a half-elven girl, a young adult, comes to you: "First time I see you here? Are you one of the pit-dogs?"

Mangles
2012-08-10, 10:34 PM
"It seems that I am. Are you here to serve me ale or to truly give a victor what he deserves?" Arslan pauses but doesn't let the lady answer. "For now, just an ale. After I am done fighting tonight though, I will need the company of a woman."

yougi
2012-08-11, 01:07 AM
"Oh oh, only a pitdog and he thinks he can already get the girls. There are many manlier man in this arena, and you'll have to prove your worth at their games before you can prove it in ours."

Mangles
2012-08-11, 07:59 AM
"Proof, I just downed a man in one blow in the arena. Is that not proof enough for a wench such as yourself, or do you need me to kill every man here for the key to your chamber."

yougi
2012-08-12, 10:25 PM
"Oh, the large man won a single fight and he thinks he's the man. That's a good one. No matter how easily you bet him, he was a pitdog, just like you, a worthless pitdog. I too can swat flies in a single blow."

And she turns around, walks towards the bar, and, without turning around to look towards you: "So, a tankard of ale?"

Mangles
2012-08-14, 02:22 AM
"Fine, an ale, for now. But how about a wager, should I win my next fight, then I get to take you tonight. Should I loose, than you can have my winnings from the first fight."