PDA

View Full Version : Toledo, Ohio

vampire2948
2012-07-08, 06:17 AM
Hey,

So - I'm moving to Toledo soon for a year at the university there. Anything I should know about it?
Also - Many playgroundites live there?

Thanks,

vampire2948,

Haruki-kun
2012-07-08, 09:34 AM
Also - Many playgroundites live there?

Note: DO NOT POST IN THE FOLLOWING THREAD. IT'S BEEN IN NECROLAND FOR FOUR YEARS.

This thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49823) was made a really long time ago and had a bunch of people posting where they lived. Since it was four years ago, a lot of those people may have moved or are no longer on the boards, but you might want to check it out.

Kindablue
2012-07-08, 10:13 AM
Speaking of Necroland, have fun in Ohio!

Bhu
2012-07-08, 10:25 AM
I live further south in ohio.

What should you know about Ohio?

It's a great place to live. As long as you're white, male, conservative, christian, straight, and under educated. The further away from that baseline you are, the more likely you are to be rejected an/or bullied by the locals. Granted that the KKK still has a foothold here I guess thats not too surprising.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-07-08, 12:44 PM
I live further south in ohio.

What should you know about Ohio?

It's a great place to live. As long as you're white, male, conservative, christian, straight, and under educated. The further away from that baseline you are, the more likely you are to be rejected an/or bullied by the locals. Granted that the KKK still has a foothold here I guess thats not too surprising.

Speak for the south. Speaking as someone living in Columbus, I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Bhu
2012-07-08, 03:40 PM
I'm about a half hour away from Columbus :smalltongue:

arguskos
2012-07-08, 05:32 PM
I'm about a half hour away from Columbus :smalltongue:
C-bus ain't so bad, Bhu. I've lived here since I was little, sVe for a two year period when I lived in Dallas, and I've come to really live this little town. It isn't amazing, but it's not half bad.

Ohio really doesn't have a specific flavor or style of its own. You will inevitably compare it to wherever you are comin from. It tends toward the quieter and calmer than most places. It isn't NYC or LA, but it also isn't BFE. You'll get out of Ohio what you put into it. Explore, find things you care about, and you'll love it, same as any decent sized place. Don't explore, don't care about it, and you'll hate it, same as anywhere. *shrug*

AtlanteanTroll
2012-07-08, 05:36 PM
C-bus ain't so bad, Bhu. I've lived here since I was little, sVe for a two year period when I lived in Dallas, and I've come to really live this little town. It isn't amazing, but it's not half bad.

Ohio really doesn't have a specific flavor or style of its own. You will inevitably compare it to wherever you are comin from. It tends tends toasted the quieter and calmer than most places. It isn't NYC or LA, but it also isn't BFE. You'll get out of Ohio what you put into it. Explore, find things you care about, and you'll love it, same as any decent sized place. Don't explore, don't care about it, and you'll hate it, same as anywhere. *shrug*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBWNgg8CClc? You monster.

arguskos
2012-07-08, 05:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBWNgg8CClc? You monster.
I'm sorry, what's the point of your comment? :smallconfused: I am not from Texas, nor did I like it there, so why would I wish to "return to Dalton County"? I love my home here in Ohio and want to extol its virtues when I get a chance.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-07-08, 06:45 PM
I'm sorry, what's the point of your comment? :smallconfused: I am not from Texas, nor did I like it there, so why would I wish to "return to Dalton County"? I love my home here in Ohio and want to extol its virtues when I get a chance.

I'll leave that for you to puzzle out. >.>

Bhu
2012-07-09, 01:25 AM

My experiences have been otherwise. I'll just leave it at that. :smallfrown:

JetThomasBoat
2012-07-09, 02:31 AM
I have a friend that lives in Toledo. She complains about some things about it, from what I gather, there's a lot of naturey stuff near by there. She does lots of camping and rock climbing and stuff. So yeah.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-07-10, 10:36 AM
Who actually calls Columbus "C-bus"? The only people I've ever heard do that are bands when they come to play in the area and now you, Arguskos.

arguskos
2012-07-10, 12:14 PM
Who actually calls Columbus "C-bus"? The only people I've ever heard do that are bands when they come to play in the area and now you, Arguskos.
Grrrr. Don't capitalize my name. :smalltongue:

Also, I've got a bunch of friends who call it "the bus" or "Cbus". Honestly, I'm not clear why folks call it that, but I've picked it up from them. It's an easy way to identify the city, if nothing else. Don't know where it comes from though.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-07-10, 12:59 PM
Grrrr. Don't capitalize my name. :smalltongue:

Also, I've got a bunch of friends who call it "the bus" or "Cbus". Honestly, I'm not clear why folks call it that, but I've picked it up from them. It's an easy way to identify the city, if nothing else. Don't know where it comes from though.
It'd be rude not to, but if you insist.

Do these friends live in Columbus? I technically live in a suburb, and as stated, I don't actually know anyone who calls it that.

Tebryn
2012-07-10, 01:06 PM
C-Bus is a commonly accepted nickname for the Capital. Just like C-Town is for Cleveland.

Ohio is honestly one of the most diverse states in the Union. Big cities? We've got it. Country farmland? We've got that too. Cleveland isn't to far away from Toledo and it's a great city though so is Toledo.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-07-10, 01:09 PM
C-Bus is a commonly accepted nickname for the Capital. Just like C-Town is for Cleveland.
But where!? :smallconfused: I've also never once heard C-Town. Never ever.

arguskos
2012-07-10, 01:41 PM
It'd be rude not to, but if you insist.

Do these friends live in Columbus? I technically live in a suburb, and as stated, I don't actually know anyone who calls it that.
1. My name is not capitalized. Capitalizing it is ruder than not, as if I wished it to be capitalized, I'd make it so. Much as no one should put a space in your name (despite my desperately wanting to do so), same goes here. Just a minor pet peeve I have, nothing personal. :smallwink:

2. Yep! From Columbus, born and raised. Did a little searching, still can't figure out where the nickname is from.

But where!? :smallconfused: I've also never once heard C-Town. Never ever.
Wait, you've never heard C-Town? Now, that one is pretty common. Have you heard of Cinci (shortened version of Cincinnati, clearly)? That one's pretty common too.

AtlanteanTroll
2012-07-10, 01:54 PM
1. My name is not capitalized. Capitalizing it is ruder than not, as if I wished it to be capitalized, I'd make it so. Much as no one should put a space in your name (despite my desperately wanting to do so), same goes here. Just a minor pet peeve I have, nothing personal. :smallwink:

2. Yep! From Columbus, born and raised. Did a little searching, still can't figure out where the nickname is from.

1: Would you believe me if I told you I had forgotten there was no space in my name? :smalltongue:

2: Hmm. Cool. I think where it comes from is obvious, etymology wise. But yeah. I hadn't really heard anyone actually call Columbus "C-bus" as something other than a joke until May, and that was at a concert where the band was from Texas.

Wait, you've never heard C-Town? Now, that one is pretty common. Have you heard of Cinci (shortened version of Cincinnati, clearly)? That one's pretty common too.

I have never heard C-Town, but I have most definitely heard Cinci. I never really do anything related to Cleveland, so maybe that's why. *shrug*

Gnoman
2012-07-10, 03:47 PM
Toledo is a pretty decent town, all things considered. Our art museum and zoo, for example, consistently rank in the top 10-20 percent, globally. There is also an extensive metropark system, and the university results in a staggering number of bars and restaurants in some parts of town. Our minor league baseball and hockey teams are quite good, though traffic's a mess downtown. The generally insane mayors aren't a huge deal for temporary residents, so that's not a huge downside.

vampire2948
2012-07-14, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the replies, and arguments about buses :P

Sounds like it should be okay... just need to make some friends once I get there. Plenty of opportunity for that at uni, I hope.. and I'm most of the things on Bhu's list, hopefully the ones I'm not won't result in too much bullying :)

My friends in England have a bet on for whether I'll be punched by Christians at some point. :l

Vampire2948,