PDA

View Full Version : Help in making a character

Fhalyassa
2012-07-08, 06:55 AM
This character is being made as backup to the other I have been getting help on. I am also making this character just in case my other character is not allowed. She will not ever use a shiled be instead she will be wielding a bastard sword with a lightning bolt shaped blade and a scourge at the same time. That means she will be taking the Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword at first level. She will be also getting the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. Is there any way I could get the Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword at first level for free? Should take the Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword and/or Scourge)?

Should I make her a Half-Balor (I meant Half-Balrog), or the Lemorian Half-fiend if I make her a half-fiend? Would it be better be a fey'ri? What are the abilities of the fey'ri If I make her a Half-Balor I want to make her an attractive female but with red skin and leathery wings. If I do not go the half-fiend route then what race should she be?

Is there a female Balor? Does the Balor's Sword of Flame, Balor's Sword of Lightning, Balor's Sword of Smiting, and the Balor's Sword of Soul Stealing exist? I found it on the site in the link. (http://www.angelfire.com/wy/eventry/Junk/EM.html)

Dhavaer
2012-07-08, 07:19 AM
CW Samurai will give you EWP Bastard Sword but... let's just say it's not worth it. Weapon Focus is generally not worth it either, unless as a pre-req for something better.
Balors, as far as I know, can be male or female.

Rethmar
2012-07-08, 07:32 AM
The balor swords are listed in the Arms and Equipment Guide.

Fhalyassa
2012-07-08, 07:33 AM
CW Samurai will give you EWP Bastard Sword but... let's just say it's not worth it. Weapon Focus is generally not worth it either, unless as a pre-req for something better.
Balors, as far as I know, can be male or female.What is wrong with the CW Samurai and Weapon Focus?

Dhavaer
2012-07-08, 07:43 AM
CW Samurai gives you very little other than some expensive swords. You get a very limited version of TWF slowly, and some decent Intimidate-based abilities that would be nice if you got more of them at earlier levels, but not much else. It's like a Fighter, but you get less feats and you don't get to choose them.

Weapon Focus just doesn't do much. +1 attack with one weapon type is overshadowed by a lot of other feats.

Andezzar
2012-07-08, 07:45 AM
This character is being made as backup to the other I have been getting help on. I am also making this character just in case my other character is not allowed. She will not ever use a shiled be instead she will be wielding a bastard sword with a lightning bolt shaped blade and a scourge at the same time. That means she will be taking the Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword at first level. She will be also getting the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. Is there any way I could get the Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword at first level for free? Should take the Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword and/or Scourge)?Unless you get lots of extra damage (like sneak attack) don't dual-wield. Use the bastard sword with two hands. Use the Whip only if you wish to annoy/trip/disarm your opponents.

Should I make her a Half-Balor (I meant Half-Balrog), or the Lemorian Half-fiend if I make her a half-fiend? Would it be better be a fey'ri? What are the abilities of the fey'ri If I make her a Half-Balor I want to make her an attractive female but with red skin and leathery wings. If I do not go the half-fiend route then what race should she be?Hmm maybe draconic fiendish human with the feats dragon wings and at level 6+ improved dragon wings? Unfortunately that is LA+3

Is there a female Balor?Demons and devils are neither male nor female. They simply have an appearance that more closely reflects what we associate with each gender.

Does the Balor's Sword of Flame, Balor's Sword of Lightning, Balor's Sword of Smiting, and the Balor's Sword of Soul Stealing exist? I found it on the site in the link. (http://www.angelfire.com/wy/eventry/Junk/EM.html)I have no idea but your problem will be, even if they exist that they are for large creatures. Unless you are large as well you cannot wield such a bastard sword with out Exotic Weapon Proficiency. Even then you can only wield it as a two-handed weapon (with -2). Monkey grip would remove the need for two hands but not the penalty.

Fhalyassa
2012-07-08, 08:41 AM
Unless you get lots of extra damage (like sneak attack) don't dual-wield. Use the bastard sword with two hands. Use the Whip only if you wish to annoy/trip/disarm your opponents.

Hmm maybe draconic fiendish human with the feats dragon wings and at level 6+ improved dragon wings? Unfortunately that is LA+3

Demons and devils are neither male nor female. They simply have an appearance that more closely reflects what we associate with each gender.

I have no idea but your problem will be, even if they exist that they are for large creatures. Unless you are large as well you cannot wield such a bastard sword with out Exotic Weapon Proficiency. Even then you can only wield it as a two-handed weapon (with -2). Monkey grip would remove the need for two hands but not the penalty.I was imitating the Balor is why I chose those weapons. I want to make a version of the Balor swords that are for medium sized characters. Why should I use the bastard sword with two hands?

Urpriest
2012-07-08, 09:18 AM
I was imitating the Balor is why I chose those weapons. I want to make a version of the Balor swords that are for medium sized characters. Why should I use the bastard sword with two hands?

Here's the thing: the Balor wields a Longsword. A Longsword is better than a Bastard Sword, unless you get Exotic Weapon Proficiency for free. Since you don't, why not use a Longsword?

What stats are you using for the Scourge? Balors use Whips, which might not be the best choice of weapon, but you can probably make do.

In particular, you can get a whip made of fire from Pyrokineticist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm). There is a lot of debate about what that class does, but if you can make attacks of opportunity with the whip it creates then it might be useful. You don't need to use Two-Weapon Fighting: it's only needed for extra attacks, so unless you're a Rogue or similar you can just alternate the two weapons in a full attack.

One good way for an evil character to get wings is the Feathered Wings graft, from the Fiend Folio.

I'm here assuming you want a character who tries to emulate a Balor. A character who is actually half-Balor would be kind of silly, since in most cases having that powerful of a being that directly involved in your life won't fit well into the story your DM is putting together.

Andezzar
2012-07-08, 09:20 AM
I was imitating the Balor is why I chose those weapons.A Balor (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/demon.htm#balor) has a +1 vorpal longsword and a +1 flaming whip. MM confirms this.

I want to make a version of the Balor swords that are for medium sized characters.Talk to your GM.Those weapons could probably be crafted for medium sized creatures.

Why should I use the bastard sword with two hands?Because of Power Attack, Leap Attack and Shock Trooper. +4 damage per point you deduct from AC on a jumping charge. This would work with any other non-light weapon wielded in two hands.

Drat swordsaged by Urpriest.

Fhalyassa
2012-07-08, 11:43 AM
Here's the thing: the Balor wields a Longsword. A Longsword is better than a Bastard Sword, unless you get Exotic Weapon Proficiency for free. Since you don't, why not use a Longsword?

What stats are you using for the Scourge? Balors use Whips, which might not be the best choice of weapon, but you can probably make do.

In particular, you can get a whip made of fire from Pyrokineticist (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm). There is a lot of debate about what that class does, but if you can make attacks of opportunity with the whip it creates then it might be useful. You don't need to use Two-Weapon Fighting: it's only needed for extra attacks, so unless you're a Rogue or similar you can just alternate the two weapons in a full attack.

One good way for an evil character to get wings is the Feathered Wings graft, from the Fiend Folio.

I'm here assuming you want a character who tries to emulate a Balor. A character who is actually Half-Balor would be kind of silly, since in most cases having that powerful of a being that directly involved in your life won't fit well into the story your DM is putting together.This character would have no problem getting fiendish grafts even if half-fiends can get them except for the following reason. When a character with a fiendish grafts interacts with a non evil NPCs, a -6 circumstance penalty is applied on all Charisma-based checks. This penalty applies even if the NPC is unaware of the graft presence, since this is a subtle-twisting of the host's personality.

How would the Half-Balor be to powerful of a being that directly involved in your life won't fit well into the story your DM is putting together?

I wanted the half-fiend for the wings, SLA, Special Qualities, and the Damage that half-fiends can do. I would like gave great increases to my character's Str, Con, and Int.

My characters stats are as follows rolling 4D6. Str: 22; Con: 17; Dex: 15 Wis: 20; Int: 18; Cha: 21

I have been thinking about getting her fire-based powers and possibly the Fire Subtype as well. Though I would like to base some her on me. if I do that then I would get her cold-based abilities and the Cold Subtype. I really like snow, ice, and the cold.

I think a Pyrokineticist is basically someone who has the powers of Pyrokinesis. Pyrokinesis is the ability to create or to control fire with ones mind. I think that the Pyrokineticist PrC goes better with the half-fiends that are Half-Pit Fiend.

I am using the scourge from Dragon #353. I have big thing for swords, and whips, and the scourge.

Urpriest
2012-07-08, 12:04 PM
This character would have no problem getting fiendish grafts even if half-fiends can get them except for the following reason. When a character with a fiendish grafts interacts with a non evil NPCs, a -6 circumstance penalty is applied on all Charisma-based checks. This penalty applies even if the NPC is unaware of the graft presence, since this is a subtle-twisting of the host's personality.

Why is this a problem? You said you wanted your character to have red skin and wings. Most people will think you're something demonic already, and thus won't react well to you. You won't be the character doing the talking.

How would the half-balor be to powerful of a being that directly involved in your life won't fit well into the story your DM is putting together?

Balors are some of the most powerful demons. They are also highly intelligent, and generally have many demons at their command. A Balor who sired a Half-Fiend would have some plan in mind for them. They would likely try to keep them from dying on some random adventure. If you're starting at high level, maybe this is no longer an issue, but at lower levels a Half-Balor would probably be kept somewhere away from whatever the DM's planned campaign is.

I wanted the half-fiend for the wings, SLA, Special Qualities, and the Damage that half-fiends can do.

The wings you can get from a graft. The SLAs are mostly gained later than comparable spells would be gained by a spellcaster, and won't really add new options to your character until higher levels. Of the special qualities, spell resistance is the only reasonably useful one, and even that will generally be lower than you would want since you're losing levels to Level Adjustment. Half-Fiends don't do more damage than other characters, and in fact will usually deal less.

I have been thinking about getting her fire-based powers and possibly the Fire Subtype as well.

I think a Pyrokineticist is basically someone who has the powers of Pyrokinesis. Pyrokinesis is the ability to create or to control fire with ones mind. I think that the Pyrokineticist PrC goes better with the Pit Fiend.

With the first level of Pyrokineticist, you would gain the ability to form a whip of fire. That's it. That's an ability Balors have. You don't need to take more levels if you think they would make you more like a Pit Fiend than you would like.

I am using the scourge from Dragon #353.

The scourge is not a useful weapon. It's an Exotic Weapon, so you need a feat to use it. It deals the same damage as a Longsword, but with a worse chance to get a critical hit. It gets a small bonus to disarm, but disarming is a very bad tactic since at best you're trading one of your actions (the action to disarm) for one of your opponent (picking up the weapon) and at worst you're fighting monsters that don't use weapons. The scourge does nothing unique.

The whip actually has a few unique properties, including its 15 foot reach. The pyrokineticist's fire whip also has unique advantages.

You seem to have a bad habit of thinking about what you want your character to look like before you think of what you want your character to do. Think about what sorts of things you want your character to do in combat, and we can help you find a character that does those things while keeping the style you want. But if you just focus on looks you'll be as bad off as if you just focused on looks in any other game.

Edit: Also, you may have done those stats wrong. Usually when you roll 4d6 for stats you roll 4d6 and then ignore the lowest die, getting numbers between 3 and 18. Does your DM have a houserule that lets you just add all the dice without ignoring the lowest?

Fhalyassa
2012-07-08, 12:24 PM
Why is this a problem? You said you wanted your character to have red skin and wings. Most people will think you're something demonic already, and thus won't react well to you. You won't be the character doing the talking.

Balors are some of the most powerful demons. They are also highly intelligent, and generally have many demons at their command. A Balor who sired a Half-Fiend would have some plan in mind for them. They would likely try to keep them from dying on some random adventure. If you're starting at high level, maybe this is no longer an issue, but at lower levels a Half-Balor would probably be kept somewhere away from whatever the DM's planned campaign is.

The wings you can get from a graft. The SLAs are mostly gained later than comparable spells would be gained by a spellcaster, and won't really add new options to your character until higher levels. Of the special qualities, spell resistance is the only reasonably useful one, and even that will generally be lower than you would want since you're losing levels to Level Adjustment. Half-Fiends don't do more damage than other characters, and in fact will usually deal less.

With the first level of Pyrokineticist, you would gain the ability to form a whip of fire. That's it. That's an ability Balors have. You don't need to take more levels if you think they would make you more like a Pit Fiend than you would like.

The scourge is not a useful weapon. It's an Exotic Weapon, so you need a feat to use it. It deals the same damage as a Longsword, but with a worse chance to get a critical hit. It gets a small bonus to disarm, but disarming is a very bad tactic since at best you're trading one of your actions (the action to disarm) for one of your opponent (picking up the weapon) and at worst you're fighting monsters that don't use weapons. The scourge does nothing unique.

The whip actually has a few unique properties, including its 15 foot reach. The pyrokineticist's fire whip also has unique advantages.

You seem to have a bad habit of thinking about what you want your character to look like before you think of what you want your character to do. Think about what sorts of things you want your character to do in combat, and we can help you find a character that does those things while keeping the style you want. But if you just focus on looks you'll be as bad off as if you just focused on looks in any other game.

Edit: Also, you may have done those stats wrong. Usually when you roll 4d6 for stats you roll 4d6 and then ignore the lowest die, getting numbers between 3 and 18. Does your DM have a houserule that lets you just add all the dice without ignoring the lowest?I got very lucky in the rolls.

What if I get Improved Natural Attack?

I want to be Fighter/Wizard and/or Cleric who wields a long sword and another weapon. I want to have ice, cold, snow based powers and abilities for my character. I have no problem taking as a PrC Winterhaunt of Iborighu, The Winterhaunt of Iborighu does let me become something I like even though it is of the evil subtype an Ice Elemental. Though I would have more then the base powers of the Winterhaunt of Iborighu if i go that route.

Urpriest
2012-07-08, 12:31 PM
What if I get Improved Natural Attack. I want be Fighter/Wizard who wields a long sword and whip unless there is a better weapons to use besides the whip. the whip does nonleathal damage? i would love to really have ice, cold, snow based powers and abilities for my character. I have no problem taking as a PrC Winterhaunt of Iborighu, The Winterhaunt of Iborighu does let me bcome something I like even though it is of the evil subtype an Ice Elemental.

Ok, now we're getting somewhere.

Improved Natural Attack on a Half-Fiend would improve damage from 1d6 to 1d8 on the bite, or 1d4 to 1d6 on the claw. That gives you one more damage on average. Feats can be very powerful, spending one on getting +1 damage is a huge waste.

Ok, Fighter/Wizard, that's something I can work with. What is your starting level? There are a variety of different builds that can do this sort of thing. One aspect is that you will, depending on your build, be able to get all of the benefits of Half-Fiend through your spells, so you won't need to be a Half-Fiend.

One option for a class that lets you be a Fighter/Wizard type of character is the Duskblade, from Player's Handbook II. They get decent use out of whips, since they can channel spells through melee weapons, including whips, so even if the whip deals nonlethal damage, the spell won't.

More later, need to go.

Fhalyassa
2012-07-08, 12:33 PM
Ok, now we're getting somewhere.

Improved Natural Attack on a Half-Fiend would improve damage from 1d6 to 1d8 on the bite, or 1d4 to 1d6 on the claw. That gives you one more damage on average. Feats can be very powerful, spending one on getting +1 damage is a huge waste.

Ok, Fighter/Wizard, that's something I can work with. What is your starting level? There are a variety of different builds that can do this sort of thing. One aspect is that you will, depending on your build, be able to get all of the benefits of Half-Fiend through your spells, so you won't need to be a Half-Fiend.

One option for a class that lets you be a Fighter/Wizard type of character is the Duskblade, from Player's Handbook II. They get decent use out of whips, since they can channel spells through melee weapons, including whips, so even if the whip deals nonlethal damage, the spell won't.

More later, need to go.I am starting at first level.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-07-08, 12:53 PM
UrPriest has already given some awesome advice (he does that :)) so I'm jsut going to add a few notes while he's gone.

If you want a spellcaster class you don't want a template or a race with a LA on it, losing caster levels is much to painful for it.

Double check your stats, as UrPriest said normally if you roll 4d6 you drop the lowest dice and add the three highest. (Your DM might have houseruled something else, but I'd find that strange.)

If you just want the powers, but not spellcasting you could look into the Half-Elemental template from Manual of the Planes, but it is an LA +2 or +3.

Either way good luck!

Fhalyassa
2012-07-08, 01:02 PM
UrPriest has already given some awesome advice (he does that :)) so I'm jsut going to add a few notes while he's gone.

If you want a spellcaster class you don't want a template or a race with a LA on it, losing caster levels is much to painful for it.

Double check your stats, as UrPriest said normally if you roll 4d6 you drop the lowest dice and add the three highest. (Your DM might have houseruled something else, but I'd find that strange.)

If you just want the powers, but not spellcasting you could look into the Half-Elemental template from Manual of the Planes, but it is an LA +2 or +3.

Either way good luck!So what Stats do I need to fix? It has been while since I have created a character. Is there any thing that can help me with fixing my stats?

My character will be a spellcaster and warrior.

I like the option of having SLAs that would help my character out. How do I off set the following if I get fiendish grafts? When a character with a fiendish grafts interacts with a non evil NPCs, a -6 circumstance penalty is applied on all Charisma-based checks. This penalty applies even if the NPC is unaware of the graft presence, since this is a subtle-twisting of the host's personality.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-08, 01:17 PM
So what Stats do I need to fix? It has been while since I have created a character. Is there any that can help me with fixing my stats?

Generally the stat-rolling method is roll 4d6 drop lowest; from the stats you posted it looks like you just rolled 4d6, period. They're really, really high.

Str: 22; Con: 17; Dex: 15 Wis: 20; Int: 18; Cha: 21 ; with the half-fiend adjustments of Str +4, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +4, Cha +2, your listed stats of Charisma and Wisdom have scores impossible with rolling 4d6 drop low. Just saying.

As for the Pyrokineticist PrC, I recommend it, though since it seems like you want a lightning-y theme, go with the Electrokineticist, described here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e). Change fluff as fits your character. Edit 2: I didn't read the entire thread, so if you wanted a different energy type they're all at that link.

Edit: True spellcasting doesn't play well with level adjustments unless you're using gestalt. What kind of casting do you have in mind? Are you interested in generally magical effects that can come from non-caster class features, or do you want pure spellcasting like a Wizard or Cleric?

Waker
2012-07-08, 01:23 PM
I want to be Fighter/Wizard and/or Cleric who wields a long sword and another weapon. I want to have ice, cold, snow based powers and abilities for my character. I have no problem taking as a PrC Winterhaunt of Iborighu, The Winterhaunt of Iborighu does let me become something I like even though it is of the evil subtype an Ice Elemental. Though I would have more then the base powers of the Winterhaunt of Iborighu if i go that route.
So you want some combat ability and cold-based magic, did you still want you character to look like a Balor? Anyways, you have a few options with the class choices.
Wizard or Sorcerer/Fighter or some other martial class. Sadly the gish classes don't tend to add anything to the cold abilities themselves, so you'll have to chose spells to fill in that role. Not to mention that gishes take a bit of time before they really start coming into their own.
Cleric with domains like Cold or Winter can easily fill in this role.
Paladin with the Winter's Champion feat (Frostburn) can do this a bit, though the spellcasting isn't impressive.
Divine Crusader (CDiv) can also act in this capacity, though the spell list isn't that huge.
Duskblade is a nice and simple class that comes out of the box ready to sling spells and swing swords. The only issue is the lack of cold-based magic on the spell list. Arcane Disciple (CDiv) can help add to the list.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-07-08, 01:29 PM
So what Stats do I need to fix? It has been while since I have created a character. Is there any thing that can help me with fixing my stats?

If you did them wrong (rolled 4d6 and added all four together instead of just the three highest) you re-roll them, simple as that.

And the -6 penalty on interacting with NPC's really doesn't matter unless you're trying a skill-check such as Diplomacy, which you might as well leave to someone else. RP wise it really depends on the DM, but if you want a character with red skin, wings and a generally "demonic" look any sensible DM will have the NPC's react with a certain amount of distrust, suspicion and in some cases curiosity anyway. It sort of comes with the job. But mechanically? Leave the Diplomacy to others. (And the Bluff, and the Intimidation.. even if I personally would give you a slight bonus to intimidate)

But yhea, if you want proper spellcasting, avoid anything with Level Adjustments. Sure there is the Practiced Spellcaster feat that makes up for it to a certain extent, but you still fall behind on spell progression.

Fhalyassa
2012-07-08, 01:29 PM
Generally the stat-rolling method is roll 4d6 drop lowest; from the stats you posted it looks like you just rolled 4d6, period. They're really, really high.

Str: 22; Con: 17; Dex: 15 Wis: 20; Int: 18; Cha: 21 ; with the half-fiend adjustments of Str +4, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +4, Cha +2, your listed stats of Charisma and Wisdom have scores impossible with rolling 4d6 drop low. Just saying.

As for the Pyrokineticist PrC, I recommend it, though since it seems like you want a lightning-y theme, go with the Electrokineticist, described here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625e). Change fluff as fits your character.

Edit: True spellcasting doesn't play well with level adjustments unless you're using gestalt. What kind of casting do you have in mind? Are you interested in generally magical effects that can come from non-caster class features, or do you want pure spellcasting like a Wizard or Cleric?I would go with electric or cold based powers. So do I need to re-roll my stats? I want to cast arcane spells. I can go with class that is both a fighter and wizard at the same time.

I like the Lemorian Half-Fiend alot except for the scales. Can an Outside like a Half-Fiend get grafts? What about getting Flyby attack?

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-08, 02:02 PM
I would go with electric or cold based powers. So do I need to re-roll my stats? I want to cast arcane spells. I can go with class that is both a fighter and wizard at the same time.

I like the Lemorian Half-Fiend alot except for the scales. Can an Outside like a Half-Fiend get grafts? What about getting Flyby attack?

What do you think about Duskblade + Energy Substitution?

Venusaur
2012-07-08, 02:12 PM
Just as a heads up, you can't take the half-fiend template at level 1. A half-fiend human with a class level is considered to be level 5. Ur-priest's monster handbook in his sig explains it really well, and I would recommend checking it out.

Fhalyassa
2012-07-08, 03:04 PM
What do you think about Duskblade + Energy Substitution?I like the Duskblade. How about Duskblade/Wizard for spells I want to go through the whole half-fiend class unless I go do a ritual like as find SS?

Urpriest
2012-07-08, 03:24 PM
I like the Duskblade. How about Duskblade/Wizard for spells I want to go through the whole half-fiend class unless I go do a ritual like as find SS?

I wouldn't advise taking levels in Half-Fiend. If you take it at low levels, you'll be very fragile, because the Half-Fiend template class doesn't grant Hit Dice. Your attacks would also fall behind. If you took it at higher levels you would be taking it instead of getting higher level spells, which will generally be much more powerful. So in general it isn't a good choice. The ritual has the same problems.

If you want your character to have a Fiendish theme, the Fiendish Heritage feats from Complete Mage are a better pick. Several of them give the spell-like abilities you would have gotten from Half-Fiend.

Since you're starting at Level 1, I'd start as a Duskblade. That will make you tough enough in melee while still being able to cast spells. While mixing Duskblade and Wizard is possible (something like Duskblade 3/Wizard 3/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/etc.), it's a more complicated build, and it can be somewhat weak in the mid-levels. Since you seem fairly inexperienced, I'd advise just taking levels in Duskblade. If you find that you need new types of spells, Arcane Disciple (mentioned already) is a good pick.

Waker
2012-07-08, 03:41 PM
In addition to the Fiendish Heritage feats from CMag, you might also like the Abyssal Heritor feats from Fiendish Codex I. Some of them are decent with some small drawbacks. Heart of Nabassu for example gives you a partial immunity to negative level attacks, Otherworldly Countenance gives you a bonus to Perform or Intimidate checks and you can fascinate or sicken a target.

Fhalyassa
2012-07-08, 04:00 PM
I would rather become a Winterhaunt of iborighu because it has better immunities then the Half-Fiend Template since in the end the Winterhaunt of iborighu becomes an elemental. I prefer becoming an Winterhaunt of iborighu over becoming/being a Half-Fiend even if the Winterhaunt of iborighu gains the subtype Evil. That means for this character I will not become a Half-Fiend. I also want to based these character off me. I do that my character would want to be able cast spells relate to cold, snow, and ice and have abilities relate to cold, snow, and ice. It is the only way I know to become close to an Ice Elemental unless the Elemental Archon or Elemental Savant lets you become one.

How useful is being able to cast cause fear, detect thoughts, and suggestion, teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), summon monster V (fiendish creatures only), and unholy blight each 1/day? Is the Claws of the Beast feat any good? From what I read it does not sound good.

Waker
2012-07-08, 04:26 PM
Both the Elemental Archon and Savant do change your type to Elemental as their capstone ability.
The spells usefulness is somewhat dependent on when you get them. However the only one that stands out as being really useful is Teleport.
Claws of the Beast is really only useful is you play a character who uses a lot of natural weapons or unarmed strikes like a Totemist or Monk. Even then, the damage isn't that amazing.

Urpriest
2012-07-08, 04:42 PM
I would rather become a Winterhaunt of iborighu because it has better immunities then the Half-Fiend Template since in the end the Winterhaunt of iborighu becomes an elemental. I prefer becoming an Winterhaunt of iborighu over becoming/being a Half-Fiend even if the Winterhaunt of iborighu gains the subtype Evil. That means for this character I will not become a Half-Fiend. I also want to based these character off me. I do that my character would want to be able cast spells relate to cold, snow, and ice and have abilities relate to cold, snow, and ice. It is the only way I know to become close to an Ice Elemental unless the Elemental Archon or Elemental Savant lets you become one.

How useful is being able to cast cause fear, detect thoughts, and suggestion, teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), summon monster V (fiendish creatures only), and unholy blight each 1/day? Is the Claws of the Beast feat any good? From what I read it does not sound good.

Winterhaunt of Iborighu is a divine spellcasting class, not an arcane one. A build using it would be completely different. Also, the immunities it grants aren't exactly unique, and if you went with the Wizard build you could get them with the Elemental Body spell (Spell Compendium) at a comparable level. It also has a low base attack bonus, which will generally make you bad at melee.

Detect Thoughts and Suggestion are both fairly useful if you have a good DC. Teleport is...well, Teleport. If getting across the world in the blink of an eye doesn't seem useful to you, then I don't think we're communicating. The Summoning is reasonably powerful: you could get a few Monstrous Spiders to web your foes, or Tigers to deal damage. Unholy Blight is one of the spells you would have gotten as a half-fiend, so if you liked it there you'll like it here. I'm only suggesting these for a pure Duskblade though. If you're a Wizard you'll have better spells.

I'd have to agree, Claws of the Beast doesn't look very good unless you already have a lot of Abyssal Heritor feats.

Fhalyassa
2012-07-08, 04:52 PM
Both the Elemental Archon and Savant do change your type to Elemental as their capstone ability.
The spells usefulness is somewhat dependent on when you get them. However the only one that stands out as being really useful is Teleport.
Claws of the Beast is really only useful is you play a character who uses a lot of natural weapons or unarmed strikes like a Totemist or Monk. Even then, the damage isn't that amazing.Can I combine the Oozemaster with Ooze Elemental Savant? I have really want to play the Oozemaster for good while.

Waker
2012-07-08, 05:25 PM
The two classes can be mixed, though the Oozemaster loses a great deal of spellcasting ability.

_flint_
2012-07-08, 10:10 PM
If you want free bastard sword proficiency take human or dwarf(as dwarven waraxe is pretty much the same as bastard sword)

I also suggest spending feats to get oversized TWF as that is always fun

Fhalyassa
2012-07-10, 01:22 PM
I am going to start out as possible human and then latter on change my character though a template(s)

Andezzar
2012-07-10, 01:42 PM
I am going to start out as possible human and then latter on change my character though a template(s)Better check that beforehand. Many templates are inherited templates and cannot be acquired later on.

gorfnab
2012-07-10, 02:06 PM
If you don't mind a little homebrew this is a fairly decent Balor class. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7967157&postcount=58)

Fhalyassa
2012-07-11, 02:46 PM
Better check that beforehand. Many templates are inherited templates and cannot be acquired later on.Do you know which templates are inherited? If you do not know which template are inherited then do you know where I can look for that info then?

Andezzar
2012-07-11, 02:57 PM
It is at the beginning of the description of each template.

For example:

"Half-fiend" is an inherited template that can be added to any living, corporeal creature with an Intelligence score of 4 or more and nongood alignment (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

and

"Vampire" is an acquired template that can be added to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

Fhalyassa
2012-07-11, 11:18 PM
If the half-fiend template is inherited then how come the Lemorian Half-Fiend template can be gain thru a ritual?

Andezzar
2012-07-12, 12:42 AM
I'm not familiar with that template, but it is probably because a Lemorian Half-Fiend is something else than the normal Half-Fiend.

Fhalyassa
2012-07-12, 07:59 AM
I'm not familiar with that template, but it is probably because a Lemorian Half-Fiend is something else than the normal Half-Fiend.The Lemorian Half-Fiend can be found in Dungeon #143. Lemorian Half-Fiends have different spell-like abilities, different bonuses to their stats, and a poisonous stinger at the end of their tail instead of a bite attack.

Here is link to a picture of a Lemorian Half-Fiend (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090514015908/forgottenrealms/images/9/9a/Vanthusdemon.jpg)

Andezzar
2012-07-12, 09:07 AM
I don't have access to that magazine. There might be an explanation why that template is not an inherited one, or at least shouldn't be if it can be granted by a ritual.

Fhalyassa
2012-07-12, 09:34 AM
IIRC the class that lets you be a cleric of a fiend turns you into half-fiend in the end.

Urpriest
2012-07-12, 12:17 PM
IIRC the class that lets you be a cleric of a fiend turns you into half-fiend in the end.

You may be thinking of Acolyte of the Skin, which has nothing to do with Clerics.

Regardless, a template being Inherited means that having it normally requires you to be born with it. If you've got another method to acquire the template then that of course will work.

Fhalyassa
2012-07-12, 12:25 PM
I want my character to be powerful as a fight/wizard or as a combo class such as a Duskblade.

After I did some looking I think the cleric class I am thinking of is a homebrewed class.

I have been told that the Fiendish Heritage feats are not that great. I would to have some spell-like abilities possible the ability to fly.

Andorax
2012-07-12, 12:33 PM
Dragon 302 has a prestige class (actually a couple dozen of them in effect) called The Tainted. The basic idea is to grant a progressive number of physical changes and fiendish abilities keyed to a specific type of demon, devil, or yugoloth.

Both operate off of either a "tainted warrior" chasis (full BAB, D10) or a "tainted spellcaster" chasis (medium BAB, D6, 1/2 Casting progression).

Over the course of 10 levels, a Balor-flavored Tainted would get:
See Invis 2/day
Dark red scaly skin with a +3 natural armor bonus
Greater Dispel Magic 1/day
Firestorm 1/day
Huge bat-like wings providing fly 90 good.
Ability to wreath your body in flames that do you no harm, but inflict 4d6 fire damage on anyone you grapple.

There's more to it than that, you'll have to actually track the source down...but this would be a fairly reliable (if not mechanically optimal) way to create a strongly Balor-influenced charater...without any +LA.

Fhalyassa
2012-07-12, 01:12 PM
Dragon 302 has a prestige class (actually a couple dozen of them in effect) called The Tainted. The basic idea is to grant a progressive number of physical changes and fiendish abilities keyed to a specific type of demon, devil, or yugoloth.

Both operate off of either a "tainted warrior" chasis (full BAB, D10) or a "tainted spellcaster" chasis (medium BAB, D6, 1/2 Casting progression).

Over the course of 10 levels, a Balor-flavored Tainted would get:
See Invis 2/day
Dark red scaly skin with a +3 natural armor bonus
Greater Dispel Magic 1/day
Firestorm 1/day
Huge bat-like wings providing fly 90 good.
Ability to wreath your body in flames that do you no harm, but inflict 4d6 fire damage on anyone you grapple.

There's more to it than that, you'll have to actually track the source down...but this would be a fairly reliable (if not mechanically optimal) way to create a strongly Balor-influenced charater...without any +LA.I see your point now. I only hated the Craving part of the tainted.

I want my character to also become immortal but not undead.
A Nalfeshnee would not let its half-fiend offspring go out adventuring?

Andorax
2012-07-12, 03:30 PM
If the craving part is a hindrance, talk to your DM about it...see if that might be negotiable (or mitigatable in some manner) to make it a good fit for the campaign.

It just seems to me to be the best model for what you originally said you were after.

No good ideas on the immortality thing...that's typically either undead or construct, and you're not really looking at either.

How do you feel about an Elan (Psi HB) base instead of a Human?

Fhalyassa
2012-07-12, 05:04 PM
If the craving part is a hindrance, talk to your DM about it...see if that might be negotiable (or mitigatable in some manner) to make it a good fit for the campaign.

It just seems to me to be the best model for what you originally said you were after.

No good ideas on the immortality thing...that's typically either undead or construct, and you're not really looking at either.

How do you feel about an Elan (Psi HB) base instead of a Human?Would there be any way after the tainted to gain more powers and abilities of a Balor (Balrog)? I am seeing her wanting more power then just the Balor's powers and abilities. What can you tell me about the Elan? What are some good templates that grant the character wings? IIRC with the Half-Dragon you have to be large in size to get wings.

Andorax
2012-07-12, 11:20 PM
Not sure on the "more balor-like power" idea beyond the Tainted class. Anything fighty to be a better fighter type?

As for wings...the class grants it. Fly 90 good.

As for Elan...it's about the cheapest immortality I know of. LA +0, human-looking race, but technically an Aberration. You count as psionic with 1 pp (enough to one-level dip the Pyrokinetcist if you want to go that route) and have no maximum age.

You can also spend your 1pp each day to go without food or water...a very outsider-ish thing to do.

Fhalyassa
2012-07-13, 09:27 AM
Not sure on the "more balor-like power" idea beyond the Tainted class. Anything fighty to be a better fighter type?

As for Elan...it's about the cheapest immortality I know of. LA +0, human-looking race, but technically an Aberration. You count as psionic with 1 pp (enough to one-level dip the Pyrokinetcist if you want to go that route) and have no maximum age.

You can also spend your 1pp each day to go without food or water...a very outsider-ish thing to do.I was wanting her to be a deadly fighter. I like what you have said about the Elan. Where can I find more info on the elan?

I know I want her to the following feats of Improved Flight and flyby attack.

Andezzar
2012-07-13, 09:39 AM
Elans are here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#elans).

Fhalyassa
2012-07-13, 09:46 AM

You can also spend your 1pp each day to go without food or water...a very outsider-ish thing to do.How would she steal the powers and abilities of a Balor.

I would like her to be charismatic if possible. The only thing I dislike about the Elan is the -2 Cha