PDA

View Full Version : Twist-a-wish fodder

pendell
2012-07-08, 11:06 AM
So here's a real-life occurrence that may be useful for DMs playing twist-a-wish.

The NE United States has been enduring a record-setting heat wave for the past couple of weeks. No doubt many people are wishing for the temperature to come down.

Well, guess what! We ARE getting a cold front. And y'know what happens when a cold front hits a warm front? Severe thunderstorms. Lots of 'em. (http://www.weather.com/news/weather-forecast/northeast-weekend-severe-20120706). The more dramatic the shock, the more violent the resulting air activity. Here's hoping it's not as bad as last week, which saw 800K+ people out of power for multiple days -- and some people STILL have no power for more than a week -- and now we're getting hit again.

I dunno if anyone was actively wishing for things to get cooler, but if they had that power and knew what the consequences would be, they'd surely regret it.

Anyways, this is provided as a public service for the NEXT time a PC wishes for cooler weather. 'The weather gets cooler and the shock of the weather results in a massive thunderstorm. Roll fortitude or be instantly killed by lightning '

:)

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Man on Fire
2012-07-08, 03:00 PM
I think that the best way to twist wishes is to let players destroy them themselves - leave some holes in the deal, of the kind that will conflict with wishmaker's flaws. Think about what they really want to get from the wish - grant them, but don't give them that thing. They will tist and destroy their dream themselves.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-09, 01:56 PM
My GF noted that the only way the temperature could get worse is if things literally started burning. Cue the power lines to my place being literally set ablaze. 100+ degree heat without power is sad times.