PDA

View Full Version : Regarding banned users

Morph Bark
2012-07-08, 01:27 PM
The rules state that one of the inappropriate topics is "Protesting Bannings/Glorifying or Discussing Banned Posters". Does discussing banned posters in this regard refer to the reasons why they were banned or discussing them entirely?

I ask this, because in the latter case we can't even talk about anything that has nothing to do with why they were banned, such as work they have done, including creation of avatars and comics (including even mentioning that your avatar was made by such-and-such), nor would we be allowed to discuss homebrew that they've made, or even use it in games on here.

I sincerely hope of course that the rules aren't that strict on that, as I would like to discuss things like the artwork of other posters, and use the homebrew of other posters, including banned ones, but with the strict limitation of course that under no circumstances is any mention or references to them being banned or the reason for them being banned to come up. This isn't meant to glorify them and especially not anything with regards to why they may have been banned. I just figured it would be better to ask than to assume.

pendell
2012-07-08, 01:33 PM
I'm not a mod, but I don't think the rules quite mean that. It doesn't mean you can't use their artwork or discuss it. It means you can't talk about them in relation to the banning itself.

E.g.
"I think this bit of artwork by X is pretty neat and could be improved" -- OK.

"I think it's unfair that X was banned" -- not OK, infraction.

"X was the best, coolest poster ever and the mods are a bunch of mean-meanieheads for banning him/her" -- not ok, infraction. This is the "glorification" the rules are warning against.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Killer Angel
2012-07-08, 02:56 PM
I ask this, because in the latter case we can't even talk about anything that has nothing to do with why they were banned, such as work they have done, including creation of avatars and comics (including even mentioning that your avatar was made by such-and-such), nor would we be allowed to discuss homebrew that they've made, or even use it in games on here.

Probably this Q&A short thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199702&highlight=banned) can clarify your doubts. Simple credit is fine.

Roland St. Jude
2012-07-08, 03:22 PM
Sheriff: You can give them credit for their work, discuss the work itself, and use the work (if you have permission or permission is unnecessary). But pretty much any discussion of the poster themselves, whether regarding banning or anything else, and whether favorable, unfavorable, neutral, or whatever, is prohibited. No images memorializing or demonizing them are permitted. No posting on their behalf or relaying messages are permitted. As the rule says, we've found these discussions and things disruptive. The person is no longer here to defend themselves, clarify, etc., and we aren't interested in revealing details of why they were banned, who they were, etc.

As with any Inappropriate Topics, give it as wide a berth as possible.