PDA

View Full Version : Tripping/Two Weapon Fighting/Flurry of Blows

RFLS
2012-07-08, 01:28 PM
Hey, playgrounders, I was looking for some help with a tripper-monk type build. I'm playing a homebrew class which is similar to a monk with some moderate casting that I'm choosing to flat out ignore because it's terrible. I get improved trip at level 6, so I'm running with that. My questions are-

Do you have to make a full round attack action to get the benefits of two weapon fighting?

Same as above, but for flurry of blows.

Can you use two weapon fighting and flurry of blows at the same time? I.e, assuming monk level 12 and greater two weapon fighting, could you make 7 attacks as a full round action?

The way I currently read the rules, it should be entirely possible for me at level 12, as a standard action, to make 5 attacks per round, 3 of which are at my full BAB (minus twf penalties).

Sadly, I can't multiclass. Or use anything outside phb1, phb2, dmg1, dmg2, or mm.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-08, 01:33 PM
Hey, playgrounders, I was looking for some help with a tripper-monk type build. I'm playing a homebrew class which is similar to a monk with some moderate casting that I'm choosing to flat out ignore because it's terrible. I get improved trip at level 6, so I'm running with that. My questions are-

Do you have to make a full round attack action to get the benefits of two weapon fighting?

Same as above, but for flurry of blows.

Can you use two weapon fighting and flurry of blows at the same time? I.e, assuming monk level 12 and greater two weapon fighting, could you make 7 attacks as a full round action?

The way I currently read the rules, it should be entirely possible for me at level 12, as a standard action, to make 5 attacks per round, 3 of which are at my full BAB (minus twf penalties).

Sadly, I can't multiclass. Or use anything outside phb1, phb2, dmg1, dmg2, or mm.

Full Attack
If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough, because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon or for some special reason you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks.

Yes, you must take a full attack to use TWF. Yes, you must take a full attack to use Flurry of Blows. There are options for you to get full attacks at the end of a charge, but none in the sources you listed. They are available through the OGL and the SRD.

eggs
2012-07-08, 01:34 PM
TWF and Flurry both require full round attacks, but they can be used simultaneously. On a standard action attack, neither conveys any benefit.

EDIT:
Mostly ninjaed!

There are options for you to get full attacks at the end of a charge, but none in the sources you listed. They are available through the OGL and the SRD.
I see you have never met the dreaded Kung Fu Utah Raptor. :smalltongue:

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-08, 01:58 PM
TWF and Flurry both require full round attacks, but they can be used simultaneously. On a standard action attack, neither conveys any benefit.

EDIT:
Mostly ninjaed!

I see you have never met the dreaded Kung Fu Utah Raptor. :smalltongue:

well, fair enough.

animewatcha
2012-07-08, 03:33 PM
Flurry of blows is full attack action. Different from full round slightly. 5 foot step mainly, but there may be others.

TWF is dependant upon your feat choice, but mainly full attack. Be sure to check wording of your abilities.

Like if you were a duskblade 13/ x amount of combo of monk and dervish. You can 'dance' while flurrying and arcane channel-full attack. Even TWF amongst that mess. So long as you fulfill each one's pre-reqs and apply all relevant bonuses and penalties.

TuggyNE
2012-07-08, 05:32 PM
Note that there's at least one (non-core) feat to make TWF attacks on e.g. AoOs; similarly, Snap Kick is a non-core feat that gives you an extra attack whenever you make one or more attacks, IIRC (at a -2 penalty).

Flurry of blows is full attack action. Different from full round slightly. 5 foot step mainly, but there may be others.

... since when does a full-round action prevent you from taking a five-foot step? :smallconfused:

A full-round action requires an entire round to complete. Thus, it can’t be coupled with a standard or a move action, though if it does not involve moving any distance, you can take a 5-foot step.

In the same section, full attack is listed as one of the standard full-round actions.

animewatcha
2012-07-08, 07:57 PM
Whirlwind attack can portray what I mean. Full-round action, you do it sll in one go, no? Full attack action ( like whirlwind attack ), take 5 foot step mid-'attacks' to add more targets to the same whirlwind attack. Unless class abilities/feats change this, like dervish.

TuggyNE
2012-07-09, 03:32 AM
Whirlwind attack can portray what I mean. Full-round action, you do it sll in one go, no? Full attack action ( like whirlwind attack ), take 5 foot step mid-'attacks' to add more targets to the same whirlwind attack. Unless class abilities/feats change this, like dervish.

Yes, but again, you can do that with any full-round action.

You can take a 5-foot step before, during, or after your other actions in the round. (emphasis added)

Togo
2012-07-09, 04:58 AM
Yes, they're both full attacks, yes, you can combine, yes the penalties stack.

One point that's easy to miss - you can flurry and twf with ranged weapons. Look up the humble shuriken. It's a cheap option to get some cold iron or silver attacks.

As such, you may want to prioritise dex above wis, making wis one of your less important stats. Consider dumping it altogether.

Enlarge helps you enormously - +4 size bonus to trip, +2 to strength, and more reach. You can also jump further. Get a potion or two.

Gwendol
2012-07-09, 06:07 AM
Yes, thrown weapons such as shuriken will work with both FoB and TWF, and yes you can do both in a round (at the usual -2 attack penalty).

Metahuman1
2012-07-09, 12:24 PM
A thought would be to pick up Master Thrower and maybe four levels of blood storm blade. A level or two of Exotic weapons master to boost trip checks a bit more and to reduce some of your TWF penalty's isn't a bad idea either.