PDA

View Full Version : Dragonstar sorcerer

hoverfrog
2012-07-08, 05:47 PM
Hi fellow playground players.

I'm playing in a Dragonstar campaign and my son is joining a group of 9th level characters. He's chosen to play a straight sorcerer as almost all the other characters are dual class. There is a halfling Rogue 3\Wizard 5\Arcane Trickster 1, a dwarven cleric 5\Mechanist 4, an eleti ranger4\rogue 5, a half dragon sorcerer 3\fighter 3, a siarran ranger 9, a lizardfolk druid 4\ranger 4 and another new PC who I don't know anything about.

Rolls are: 16, 15, 14, 11, 10, 6. I was thinking of playing a Doppel for the +2 CHA bonus and dumping the 6 in STR (adjusted to a 4). Can you suggest ways to optimise this character for Dragonstar?

The campaign is targeted against a sinister incursion of aberrations.

Thanks.

Waker
2012-07-08, 06:28 PM
I have no idea what Dragonstar is, so for now I'll just ignore that bit.
Wow, an eight person party? That is downright silly. Well, looking at it, it would seem that the skill section is covered by the rest of the party. Seems like he could fill in the BFC role or perhaps Buffing, does he have a preference for playstyle?

Hecuba
2012-07-09, 12:25 AM
I have no idea what Dragonstar is, so for now I'll just ignore that bit.

It's a fairly big bit. Dragonstar is a 3rd party D20 setting that merges Space Sci-Fi with Fantasy.

Cf. http://greenskeletongamingguild.blogspot.com/2011/02/dragonstar-motivational-poster.html

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be of much immediate help to you here either-- I've not touched Dragonstar since about 2004. I'll see if I can dig up Dragonstar stuff tomorrow, though.

EDIT: Touch to Ray was a farily good feat, IIRC. There was also a feat in the Player's Companion that gave a bonus to concentration when casting in 0G, which was very beneficial if you expect to be in 0G often.

hoverfrog
2012-07-09, 04:30 AM
EDIT: Touch to Ray was a farily good feat, IIRC.Nice option. He's been talking about getting a gun and I've said not to bother and just to get a wand of magic missiles (Caster Level 9) instead. He'll never miss and the damage is better.

Waker, the biggest difference in play really apart from space travel and zero G is the lack of melee combat. Combat is always gun to gun or magic at a distance and using cover and concealment to get around the battlefield. Mirror Image, Blur and Displacement type spells are really useful but not as good as Protection from Missiles. Even Obscurement and Silent Image can make a huge difference in controlling the battlefield if everyone is shooting.

His preference is to do damage and blow things up. He's 14.

Why is an eight person party silly? We've always played in big groups. It means we can keep playing if a couple of people aren't available.

Hecuba
2012-07-09, 10:03 AM
Spellware is always good of course.

If you're looking to focus the sorcerer towards a specific theme, Augmented Spellcasting spellware (Guide to the Galaxy) is probably a good purchase.

If you're looking at pumping initiative, the Danger Sense spellware will be worth it to avoid loosing a surprise round.

What non Dragonstar books are in play? You noted abominations: if Lords of Madness is viable, then the Telepath spellware will let you get Mindsight, which is always good.

On a similar note: if you can use tome of battle and complete scoundrel, then you should be able to net sneak attack with Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance), which will let you combine Spellwarp Sniper(Complete Scoundrel), Scientific Arcanist (Player's Companion), and Touch to Ray. This would be an awesome ray caster.

If you're looking at a significant number of spells with caster level elements, Science of Magic can be a good feat, particularly if you can use Rapid Metamagic (complete mage) to negate the casting time increase.

I would strongly suggest at least looking at Dragon Magic as one of your 6th level spells known-- it's stupidly versatile.

That's about all I can come up with at the moment. I'll mull over it some more.

hoverfrog
2012-07-10, 01:39 AM
Psionics are specifically prohibited unfortunately and we don't have Tome of Battle. Spellwarped Sniper looks good and he only has to dip one level of rogue to get it. Thanks.

hoverfrog
2012-07-13, 08:27 AM
He has decided on something a bit different to the sorcerer in the end. A Rogue 4\Sorcerer 4\Arcane Commando 1. The feats are pretty much forced on him to select the prestige class.

Feats are:
Human: Point Blank Shot
1st: Precise Shot
3rd: Combat Casting
6th: Still Spell
9th: Rapid Shot

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=422135

Just the spells now and then the equipment. I'm waiting for the DM to confirm the equipment spend but it will probably be +1 armour, +1 melee, +1 missile and assorted minor items. Maybe a robot too.