PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Spiked Gauntlet Optimization ideas?

Darnapples
2012-07-08, 05:57 PM
I'm planning out a 3.5 character who'll have taken all 10 levels of Osteomancer, from Dragon Magazine 317. For those not familiar with it, among other abilities it gets the ability to grow bone spurs that, by 10th level, effectively function as spiked gauntlets that are treated as Adamantine, lawful, cold iron, and silver for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. The campaign is starting level 20, and I need a few ideas on things I can do to make these bone spurs valid primary weapons. I know I can just choose to wield a sword instead, but that's hardly as much fun. Are there any good feats, races, or classes that would help optimize the use of Spiked Gauntlets? Note that because they are his bones, optimization in the form of 'magic item' spiked gauntlets won't help much, as buying actual spiked gauntlets also defeats the point.

Keld Denar
2012-07-08, 06:00 PM
Kensai would be about the only thing that can allow you to add buffs to your bones. Its a thought. I don't know what the rest of your build is, but 2 levels of Kensai to get Wounding on your bones would be worthwhile.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-08, 06:00 PM
Since the spurs act as gauntlets, could you enchant them as magic items?

Keld Denar
2012-07-08, 06:02 PM
I don't think that they count as "masterwork", so you couldn't enchant them regardless.

Tim Proctor
2012-07-08, 07:56 PM
I would take Kensai for the bonus to your signature item as well as get Greater Magic Fang permanently enchanted for an additional +1 to them (the hand bone things seem like a natural weapon to me). I'd also look to see if War Shaper would be something that you could qualify for, additional size category should help.

gorfnab
2012-07-08, 09:46 PM
Since the Bone Spurs are considered natural weapons a level of Soul Eater (BoVD) would be amusing.