PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Synthesist Optimization

lord pringle
2012-07-08, 10:39 PM
I've heard that synthesists are really powerful, but what are some choices to make them go at full Melee monster potential? I'm planning on playing one soon so, any tips or advice for playing one would be great. Thanks in advanced.

GreenZ
2012-07-08, 11:35 PM
Dump your character's Strength and Dex (Except those needed for feats) as you use your Eidolon's stats and still have top-notch spellcasting.

Half Elf for extra Evolutions and the Extra Evolution feat for MOAR POKEMANS EVOLUTIONS.

Max Attacks = yes. You want to have the maximum number of attacks your level gives at any point in time. Make sure they're all primary attacks for maximum pain.

Go quadruped, Pounce = Full Attacks = Winning.

Increase Strength on your Eidolon with Ability Score Increases, Strength Bonuses, and the Ability Score Increase Evolution all day every day.

Use the spells Mage Armor and Shield so you can laugh at enemy attacks.

From there you play like any other whirling melee monster of death, charge + full attack until everything is dead; add spells as needed.

grarrrg
2012-07-08, 11:57 PM
Increase Strength on your Eidolon with Ability Score Increases, Strength Bonuses, and the Ability Score Increase Evolution all day every day.

Mostly what he said, with the exception that if you go Large/Huge then STR increase costs DOUBLE, so you probably don't want to take +Size and +STR.

Just for fun-sies, how does 12d10+Str damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245496) per attack at level 13 strike you?

lord pringle
2012-07-09, 12:47 AM
Mostly what he said, with the exception that if you go Large/Huge then STR increase costs DOUBLE, so you probably don't want to take +Size and +STR.

Just for fun-sies, how does 12d10+Str damage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245496) per attack at level 13 strike you?

Considering that this is a level thirteen game, I'm probably going to do that. The looks on their faces will be hilarious.

EDIT: Could I please have a page reference for where it says that being over colossal doubles damage?

doko239
2012-07-09, 12:10 PM
Considering that this is a level thirteen game, I'm probably going to do that. The looks on their faces will be hilarious.

EDIT: Could I please have a page reference for where it says that being over colossal doubles damage?

It's in the Strong Jaw spell description. I'd link it but I'm at work and the SRD is blocked.

lord pringle
2012-07-09, 12:17 PM
It's in the Strong Jaw spell description. I'd link it but I'm at work and the SRD is blocked.

Thank you so much!

jaybird
2012-07-09, 06:48 PM
An alternative is to remember that you still do, in fact, get iterative attacks with your Eidolon should you use manufactured weapons. If you're making natural attacks as well, after level 9 (Multiattack, I think) you can make a full iterative attack along with natural attacks up to your cap, at a -2 to hit for all natural attacks. Combine with Pounce for Power Attack greatsword on top of seven or eight claws that are likely doing somewhere around 4d6+14 (Large, Improved Natural Attack, Improved Natural Weapon, Elemental Attack), more if you UMD Strong Jaw (in this case, 8d6+14) :smalleek:

grarrrg
2012-07-09, 09:05 PM
Combine with Pounce for Power Attack greatsword on top of seven or eight claws

Synthesist or not, you must still obey the Eidolon's Natural Attack limit.
In the case of a level 9 Eidolon, you can only have 5 Natural Attacks.

BUT there is NOTHING stopping you from growing a DOZEN or so arms (9th level has 13 Evo points), grabbing a bunch of Swords/Daggers and going to town THAT way.

Aren't rules "fun"?

jaybird
2012-07-09, 09:08 PM
Synthesist or not, you must still obey the Eidolon's Natural Attack limit.
In the case of a level 9 Eidolon, you can only have 5 Natural Attacks.

BUT there is NOTHING stopping you from growing a DOZEN or so arms (9th level has 13 Evo points), grabbing a bunch of Swords/Daggers and going to town THAT way.

Aren't rules "fun"?

Sorry, I meant for the Lv13 Eidolon. I assume by then seven or eight attacks is a good ballpark :smalltongue:

And yes, the Eidolon is a case study in why, unless a disproportionate amount of work is invested in design and balance, more options = more powerful.