PDA

View Full Version : Levelless d20 system?

Karuth
2012-07-09, 06:46 AM
A friend of mine told me someone has revamped D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder into a System without levels where you buy everything one by one.

I searched around but couldn't find anything. Does anyone of you have heard of it and where I might find it?

Morph Bark
2012-07-09, 07:27 AM
While I have mentioned it before, I haven't posted it yet, but I've made tweaks to my Unclassic (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213731) system to make it levelless and give XP costs for all the feats/class abilities, and increases to skills, hit points, BAB and saves. It may be what they were talking about, but then they'd be the few handfuls of people who've seen me talking about the system and the aforementioned tweaks before.

Milo v3
2012-07-09, 08:09 AM
A friend of mine told me someone has revamped D&D 3.5 or Pathfinder into a System without levels where you buy everything one by one.

I searched around but couldn't find anything. Does anyone of you have heard of it and where I might find it?

You might be searching for this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=239940), but it is far from completion.

Pyromancer999
2012-07-09, 09:08 AM
The most often-named leveless systems I've heard about are Complete Control and Buy The Numbers, although both are at least a few years old. Google them and see if they're what your friend was talking about.

Amnoriath
2012-07-09, 09:51 AM
You could take a look at G.U.R.P.S., they break everything down in to skill sets and rules for general skills apart from specific ones. While it may not be entirely what you are looking for but it can be easily modified to accommodate new abilities on its point buy system.

Prime32
2012-07-09, 10:03 AM
You might be thinking of Mutants & Masterminds.

Siosilvar
2012-07-09, 10:32 AM
There's another one I've heard of that entitled itself "5th edition", but I can't remember for the life of me where I saw it.

You could take a look at G.U.R.P.S., they break everything down in to skill sets and rules for general skills apart from specific ones. While it may not be entirely what you are looking for but it can be easily modified to accommodate new abilities on its point buy system.

GURPS isn't d20 though, it's 3d6-roll-under. It also has generally more detail and lethal combat than d20 does.

Morph Bark
2012-07-09, 11:33 AM
You might be thinking of Mutants & Masterminds.

I may have only skimmed through it a few times, but it sure didn't look levelless. :smallconfused:

Siosilvar
2012-07-09, 11:56 AM
I may have only skimmed through it a few times, but it sure didn't look levelless. :smallconfused:

I've never played, but if Wikipedia is correct, the PL only serves to limit the maximum power of any one ability (skill, ability score, power bonus), forcing you to diversify a bit so that you can't overspecialize.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-10, 08:00 AM

I've never played, but if Wikipedia is correct, the PL only serves to limit the maximum power of any one ability (skill, ability score, power bonus), forcing you to diversify a bit so that you can't overspecialize.

Ayup. "Power Level" is a bit of a misnomer for people coming from a true level-based system. While the PL of a hero does set how many points they have at chargen, and their max points in any specific ability or skill, it's not a level-based system like D&D is...you don't build a Speedster 2/Magician 3/Mutant 3, with pre-defined options and effects for each level of Speedster, Magician, or Mutant you've taken.

Amnoriath
2012-07-10, 08:24 PM
There's another one I've heard of that entitled itself "5th edition", but I can't remember for the life of me where I saw it.

GURPS isn't d20 though, it's 3d6-roll-under. It also has generally more detail and lethal combat than d20 does.

Yes, but since he was looking for an entirely different system than standard D&D I thought I throw it in there.

Karuth
2012-07-11, 01:40 PM
Thank you, everyone that posted.
The Complete Control book seems exactly what I was looking for.

My brother and I want to adapt d20 to "Magic the Gathering" and it will help immensely if we can deconstruct the classes and abilities.