PDA

View Full Version : Askaretha's Ascension (IC)

MikelaC1
2012-07-09, 08:37 AM
A short history

The odds on any lemure advancing all the way to pit fiend status is several billion to 1, in fact the odds of a lemure even advancing out of that stage is over a million to one. But, when you have an almost infinite number of creatures trying to make the progression, obviously, it has to happen.
Askaretha Kantala was a beautiful but greedy and devious woman. She seduced and used numerous men, enriching herself in the process of ruining their lives and marriages. At times, it seemed no one could resist her charms. As befitted a lawful/evil soul, her soul transmigrated to the Nine Hells upon her death.
However, by an incredible stroke of luck, Askaretha did not receive the normal “baptism” in the Styx River upon her arrival in Hell, and although she was formed in the lowly lemure mode, she retained the spark of what made her, her. Still having her full intellect and continuing drive, Askaretha began to control the other lemures around her and even was able to influence devils above that status (of course, only nupperibos, but still) and began to build up the beginnings of a legion. Of course, it wasn’t as grand as a legion, but it did serve to keep Askaretha safe in the depths of hell; things that preyed on lemures were not particularly choosy about which lemure they ate or sacrificed in whatever skirmish was being fought and so Askaretha could use these mindless drones to make sure her number didn’t come up.
It took hundreds of years, but eventually, Askaretha had built up a sizable number of forces and just in time too, because a spinagon in the service of the pit fiend Kareth came looking for an “army” to assist in repelling a demonic invasion on the first layer of Hell. Finding such an immense gathering, the spinagon thought for sure that not only would he be able to give his master the forces he needed, the speed with which he got them would surely lead to a reward. He was right in the first supposition, the forces were enough to hold the breach against the manes that the demons used as the blunt of their invasion; unfortunately he never got his reward, as he perished under “mysterious” circumstances in the thick of the battle. When Kareth arrived on the scene of the victorious battle, he found a lemure leading the forces (Askaretha) and a reward, promoted him to spinagon status to replace the slain corporal.
Askaretha was now set on her path, and made a vow to herself that one day, she would become a pit fiend. By what she knew, there was no such thing as a female pit fiend, and she was determined that she would become the first. Because she managed to retain her “army” after her promotion to spinagon, she was able to fulfil the recruitment missions that fell to all spinagons by default faster than any other of her kind, and set an unofficial record for the fastest promotion out of that rank and into that of barbazu.
Now, every move she made, every plan she laid was built towards that final goal. Many times, she passed up easy promotions that were available, because they would have taken her out of the normal path of progression, preferring instead the slow but steady climb up the ladder. Thus he never spent time as a harvester, and there were many times when he could have had that chance, watching for the chance to become an erinyes. She built her power slowly and carefully, patiently making sure no attention was drawn to her, until the time that she had amassed enough power at his current level and needed that one big splash to earn herself the recognition and advancement only her superiors could give. From barbazu to hamatula to osyluth, each step was carefully choreographed, and when the chance finally came to become an erinyes, she took it.
Using her skills from her human life, and her increased power as an erinyes, Askaretha became a very successful and very powerful erinyes. She made sure to turn all of her wealth and captured souls back into power for herself, instead of flashy displays of jewelry and bling; this served two purposes, giving her a low profile and making her missions that much easier to accomplish. Askaretha was successful both as a seductress and as a warrior, and soon began to make a “name” for herself. She did not overly pursue this fame, but made sure her accomplishments got at least some notice. Eventually, her power attained a rank such that she was promoted into the upper echelons of the erinyes, the status of pleasure devil.
Now, Askaretha had made it into the ranks of being a true devil, even if she was outside of the ranks that normally became pit fiends. Above her lay the ranks of cornugan, gelugon and the last step was pit fiend. Recognizing that now she needed allies of a more permanent nature, she spent the time while she was lying low from the big step of erinyes to pleasure devil to build up her “associates”. The first such contact was a beautiful erinyes named Sabrina, Askaretha saw her as perfect for her plans, she could tempt any mortal with her beauty and when the going got tough, she was not some silly skank who could not defend herself, she was a true warrior. She became her first recruit. Through her and through her own work, others followed, but even here, Askaretha was careful, making sure that none of her new allies would attract attention, she deliberately did not chose the brightest and the best. They would be the pawns she would later sacrifice, when she made her move for cornugan, gelugon and pit fiend status.
Two centuries passed before Askaretha made her move to become a cornugan, a move that cost her all of her temporary allies, save Sabrina, and once again she laid low, biding her time. Also because her name was now becoming at least known to the arch-dukes (well, perhaps some of their underlings) she also pursued a nominal alliance with Dispater. She saw Dispater as the weakest of all the dukes, strong enough to eventually grant her the status of being a pit fiend, but not strong enough to thwart her eventual ambitions; as well, she theorized that Dispater was mostly on the outsides of the most of the political battles of Hell and thus allying with him would not earn him any major enemies.
Two more centuries past, and Askaretha saw her chance to make the move to gelugon. It was a risky play, because if she saw it through to the end, she could even make the leap all the way to pit fiend status. She and Sabrina weighed the odds, and in the end, Askaretha decided that if she made it to gelugon, she would endure too much prejudice to make the last jump. She had to go all the way in one shot, or else her path would have ended at that last stage. The battle was close, and in the final battle against the pit fiend Kareth (the ultimate irony, in that he was the pit fiend who had first promoted her out lemure status, all those centuries ago) her distraction of the fiend gave Sabrina the chance to launch a devastating sneak attack that finished him off. When Dispater saw what she had done, he immediately made the decision to promote her and she had achieved her long time goal of becoming a pit fiend. It should have been enough...but it wasn’t. Even though she now had the power she had always craved, the centuries of watching the never ending Blood War with demons had angered her. The Dark Eight, they were incompetent and constantly focused on a military strategy, which could not defeat the infinite number of demons that the Abyss could spawn. She had other plans in mind, plans that could bring ultimate victory for the devils. She gathered more allies, and decided on her next course.
She would depose a member of the Dark Eight, and become one herself

MikelaC1
2012-07-10, 08:11 AM
The fires burn brightly in the huge pits around the room, as you sit at a massive granite topped table. Around the table are two other figures, you know one of them but the other is someone you have only seen around once or twice. You are the inner council of the pit fiend Askaretha...the unknown woman is a human, Sabrina is a devil and Drake is a half-fiend. There is one chair, made of a single piece of basalt that sits empty at the head of the table, and without warning, a huge puff of smoke engulfs the empty chair and when it clears, the lady Askaretha sits there.
Askaretha is the only female pit fiend in existence. A normal, male, pit fiend appears as a hugely muscled, human like figure, albeit with wings, fangs and a tail, not to mention an obviously devilish visage, but Askaretha breaks that mold. She appears as an unbelievably beautiful woman, her heritage as an erinyes and then a pleasure devil leaving its mark on her. To just look at her, you would not suspect she has the physical power that a pit fiend has, but her feminine muscles have a hidden strength to them, and she can handle a huge greatsword with one hand when she chooses to show off. And her voice is perhaps her greatest weapon, even when she just converses normally, you are hard pressed to refuse anything she asks, or sometimes even concentrate on what she is saying; and when she focuses it on someone, it is impossible to resist.

It took me centuries to become a pit fiend. Almost no pit fiend makes it from lemure status to where I am now, they all start at least one or two levels higher. So I’ve earned my position. But its still not enough. No one time lemure and no woman has ever, EVER become a member of the Dark Eight. I mean to change history. The current Dark Eight, they lead us in endless skirmish after endless skirmish, always winning the battles against our eternal foes, the demons, but never winning the war. They see only a military solution to this war, even though the vastly superior numbers of the demons make that sort of war impossible to win. I see different way to win this struggle. Were I to be a member of that council, I could bring those new strategies, I could bring to the table the new way needed to win the war once and for all. But I need to have a seat at that table. I do not divulge this knowledge for free, only to have some glory hog claim all the credit.
You are my most trusted allies, my inner council as it were. Each of you has specialized skills and together, with my leadership, you will be an unstoppable team. You Sabrina, and you Drake, have worked together in the past and know each other well. This third, whom you have never met, is Xenobia. She is a caster who is specialized in the art of battlefield carnage, a blaster caster. She comes from her power as a warmage, and her soul is beholden to me. I need to gather power, I need to gather magic, I need to gather the knowledge of the rituals to be able to topple one of the Dark Eight from their position and take their place. But I cannot be seen to be gathering this, some of them would ally together to strike me down before I would be ready to challenge them. You will gather what I need, I will study the ancient texts and determine what you need to find for me, and I will also study the Eight, to see which one is easiest for me to take out. Then we will make our move. Your rewards will be all that I have promised you all these years, and more. Xenobia who has bartered her soul will be granted immortality, that she may never need fear the status of lemure that awaits her. And perhaps one day, we will rise even higher than that. But first things first. Patience is a virtue and taking the first step is always more important than dreaming of the last one.

Debbie_D
2012-07-10, 08:16 AM
SABRINA

The beautiful erinyes you know as Sabrina is the first to stand, she is an absolutely striking beauty, which is further enhanced by the fact that she stands a statuesque 6’1”. Everything about her either hints at or reveals her devil heritage, starting with her flaming red hair which is cut in such a way that her small horns are not hidden. Her eyes seem to be coal black at most times, however they will flame red when she is excited or angry. Her figure is very curvy and her skin tight black (with red trim) lingerie does nothing to hide it. Another clear give away is the barbed tail curling out of her cute derriere. A red and black cape billows from her neck, but it is free of any symbols or adornments. She wears little in the way of jewelry, only a small amulet and a golden circlet nestled in her red curls, as well, the belt that holds her scabbard in place is studded with small gems, some of which glow with an inner green fire. Skin-toned gloves are nearly impossible to spot on her hands.
Sabrina is quite clearly armed, she carries a wicked looking long sword of black metal, the length of which flames with small wisps of fire. A longbow is slung over her shoulder, and it too has an aura of flame around it.
Another remarkable thing about Sabrina is her black leather purse, it seems able to hold far more than would physically be possible, and yet, whenever she reaches in for something, it is always right on top. When questioned about it, she refers to it as Prada’s Unlimited Receptacle (of) Sexual Equipment.

She kneels before Askaretha, and lays her sword at her feet.

My loyalty has always been and always will be to you, my queen. Speak what our mission shall be, and I will see it carried out. With your power, we will surely place you on the council where you deserve to be

Having said her piece, she waits until Askaretha taps her on the shoulder and extends her hand, on one finger is a ring with a single huge red ruby. Sabrina kisses the ring reverently, and then rises and backs away, taking back her sword as she does so.

Falconknight06
2012-07-11, 04:56 PM
Drake will wait until the erinyes is done prostrating before the queen, before he stands and approaches the pit fiend.

Drake stands an athletic 6'1", and is mostly human in his appearance. His fiendish nature is revealed in his green eyes with golden and red flecks in them, that burn brightly when he casts spells granted by his mistress, his sharp teeth, and prominent horns poking out of his head through his light brown hair. His wings resemble those of a raven, with dark blue-black feathers, much like the wings of a fallen solar. He wears a fine mithral chain shirt, with a noticeable crystal on the chest. At his side is a longsword which seems to be made of a light purple crystal, complete with silver accents. Any who have seen the half-fiend fight know that the sword seems to vibrate along with his songs of battle, creating a noticeable effect on any hit by the blade. The blade has also been known to surround those hit with a silvery fire, preventing any hiding by those struck. On his back is a mithral shield, which he has been known to throw at an opponent, and have it return to his hands as he fights.

Around his neck hangs the mummified hand of an elven mage, a rather low powered item by hell's standards. A cloak of dark green sits over his shoulders, finely made, but minimally adorned, and a finely made set of sandals on his feet. His bag is a simple handy haversack, of the type often used by mortal adventurers.

Drake approaches Askaretha, then kneels before the pit fiend

As always, my blade, my voice, and my magic belong to you my lady. I shall do whatever you command until the end of my days.

As he says this, he too lays his blade at the pit fiend's feet, and kisses her ring as Sabrina had. With that, he returns to his seat, returning his blade to the scabbard at his side.

MikelaC1
2012-07-12, 08:32 PM
Last to approach Askaretha is the human woman she named Xenobia. Among humans, she would be classified as pretty, even beautiful, however she is rather outclassed by Askaretha, and even Sabrina. But she approaches the demon queen without any sort of inferiority, kneeling as both of the others did.

You have but to simply name your enemies, my queen, and I shall see them destroyed. By fire, by lightning, by ice, it matters not to me.

When Askaretha holds forth the ring, she kisses it as well.

After the formalities are done, Askaretha takes a map out, and spreads it on the table in front of you. As the group gathers around, they see what must be an area of hell on it, as the river that runs through it is clearly marked as the Styx.
These are the shoals of despair, where the newly arrived souls first enter Hell. They are collected here, hopefully before they reach the Styx, which would rob them of their memories, and all of their value to us.
I need you to capture 10 souls there, before they reach the Styx and before they get collected by other devils. She hands you a belt studded with 10 small gems. Speak the command word Ydraces within range of a soul and it will be drawn inside. If any other devils happen upon you while doing this, you must kill them, I dont want anyone to know what I am doing, and I certainly dont want to have to bargain for these souls.
After you have collected the 10 souls, go here and she points to a section of the map which has mountains on it In these mountains, you will find an old devil named Bastarah, he is one of the greatest of our blacksmiths, and I need him to craft my own personal greatsword. He will need the souls to power it. You will need to convince him to come with you to craft my sword, clearly you will need to have him come voluntarily, we cant force him to craft it. Again, any other devils you see, must be destroyed, it would even be worse if word got out that Bastarah was coming to see me.
Any questions?

Falconknight06
2012-07-13, 02:06 PM
Do you have any preferance for the souls? Spellcasters, Meatshields, Rogues, Women, Men, Dwarves? Or is this a free-for all, just grab ten souls and get the blacksmith without leaving any witnesses?

Drake cinches his pack onto his back, preparing for the journey to the river, clearly excited to illustrate his devotion to the woman who is granting his favored soul powers.

MikelaC1
2012-07-13, 10:13 PM
You would think that the soul of an arch-mage would be worth more than that of a common guttersnipe, but it seems that a soul is a soul is a soul. None are more powerful than others. There are sages among us that could tell you why but for me, its not an issue.
Which works out fine, you pass on some souls that arrive and you'll still have to explain yourself to the devils who will be showing up to harvest the souls that are arriving. Just take what shows up.

MikelaC1
2012-07-17, 06:50 AM
Since there seem to be no more questions, I will cast to send you on your way. Who will be carrying the belt?

Xenobia steps forward, taking the belt from Askaretha. You two seem more suited to front line duties, while I like to stay in the back. That probably makes me the better candidate for this. You slay, I collect.

With that taken care of, Askaretha summons forth arcane power, and shifts you from your current home on the second plane of hell (Dis) to the first plane. When you materialize, you come into an area that would be, if you were on the prime, considered a plain. As like all the planes of Hell, the heat is oppresive, the sky alternating between black soot and red flames, and the ground is buring in some places, with even exposed lava in some spots. Such things do not concern the native devils, and Xenobia seems unaffected as well. Far off in the distance, you see what appear to be mountains, the place you were told where you could find Bastarah. However, dealing with him is not the first order of business, and turning around, you see the oily black waters of the River Styx. From where you are, you can see big black rocks in the river, breaking up its smooth flow and creating the shoals that give this place its name. For the moment, there seems to be nothing present.

Falconknight06
2012-07-27, 03:25 PM
Well then, let's get started Drake will say, looking out over the plains around the river for possible souls for the group to capture.

MikelaC1
2012-07-30, 11:35 PM
The group looks around for a few minutes, but they see no targets right away. However, as they continue to search, there is suddenly a flash of light and three souls appear about 10 ft away from them. They begin to shuffle mindlessly towards the River Styx.
As the party moves, or thinks about moving, to intercept them however, there is another flash of light, and 3 barbed devils appear. They challenge the group.

Who are you? What are you doing here? This is a restricted zone, you have no authorization to be here. Those souls are none of your concern, step away from them, you're going to be in enough trouble just for being here, dont compound matters by interfering in soul harvesting.

The souls are between you and the barbed devils. You are 10 feet away from the souls, and the barbed devils are 10 feet beyond them. The river is about 20 feet behind you. Your actions?
(note, we are not in battle yet so no need to roll initiative)

Falconknight06
2012-07-31, 12:28 PM
Oh, so sorry gentleman Drake will say, before using his dimensional jaunt ability (teleportation reserve feat) to teleport behind the devil who was speaking, and stabbing into the creature with his longsword, his sword and shield out as he begins to sing.

I'm assuming he has arcane spell like abilities or just arcane abilities so mage-bane is activated? If not, subtract 2 from the to hit and the 2d6 damage

Attack roll
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

Magebane
[roll2]

Will begin singing if possible, then add 8 more sonic damage

Debbie_D
2012-08-01, 04:19 PM
SABRINA

Sabrina also utilizes the element of surprise, teleporting to a position where she can attack the devil, and unleashes her devastating assualt, all while activating her shield power.

[rollv]1d20+37[roll] attack & [roll0] damage & [roll1] shock
[rollv]1d20+32[roll] attack & [roll2] damage & [roll3] shock
[rollv]1d20+27[roll] attack & [roll4] damage & [roll5] shock

Debbie_D
2012-08-01, 04:20 PM
crap, try that again

[roll0] attack & [roll1] damage & [roll2] shock
[roll3] attack & [roll4] damage & [roll5] shock
[roll6] attack & [roll7] damage & [roll8] shock

MikelaC1
2012-08-03, 08:23 AM
As the two devils begin their assualt on the barbed devils, they discover the secondary form of defense that barbed devils have, namely the barbs that cover their entire bodies. Drake takes 10 points of damage as a result of his strike, while Sabrina takes 24 points. Meanwhile, Xenobia speaks a word Ydraces and one of the souls is drawn into the belt. Regrouping quickly from the unexpected resistance, the devils form up and prepare to fight. Two on Drake, two on Sabrina.

Debbie_D
2012-08-07, 06:44 PM
SABRINA

Sabrina is a blur of motion as she continues to hack away at one of the devils, trying to take it down before it can mount any sort of counter attack.

[roll3] attack & [roll4] damage & [roll5] shock
[roll6] attack & [roll7] damage & [roll8] shock

Debbie_D
2012-08-07, 06:45 PM
one crit threat in there

MikelaC1
2012-08-07, 06:57 PM
Sabrina tears savagely through the first of her barbed devils, leaving it a tatter of ichor staining the floor of Hell.
Drake up.