PDA

View Full Version : Totemist/Binder questions and [PF] conversions?

Bloodgruve
2012-07-09, 09:59 AM
I've been invited to a game which is a ways off but I'm planning out some character options. Will use the PF system but the DM allows 3.5 materials.

I'm looking at Totemist2/BinderX. I have never run a Binder before and some of the Vestiges look very interesting but lack attack options. I want to throw some Totemist in the mix for reliable methods of attack and other options. Natural attacks would be my default means of attack.

Couple questions:
*Is Totemist2 a good dip for Binder? If not Totemist what other dips would be good?

*I've seen some Binder conversions for PF but nothing on Totemist. Think a 2 level dip would need anything?

*I'm looking at Rapid Pact Magic, Expel Vestige, Improved Binding and Multiattack. What other feats should I look at for this build?

*The vestige Aym gives Halo of Fire which states that "you can deal 1d6 points of fire damage with each melee touch attack you make." Would this give all your natural weapons fire damage or is a specific melee touch attack needed?

*I've only started looking at this so any Vestige/Soulmeld combo input is appreciated :)

This will present a lot of options but I'm planning to attack it with spread sheets and premade builds.

TYVM
Blood~

Person_Man
2012-07-09, 04:16 PM
Is Totemist2 a good dip for Binder? If not Totemist what other dips would be good?

At low levels, yes. Heavy multi-classing can get you lots of abilities. At mid-high levels no, as multi-classing dramatically slows down your chakra and vestige progression, and higher level chakra binds (and enough essentia to power them) and higher level vestiges are much more potent then lots of low level abilities.

I've seen some Binder conversions for PF but nothing on Totemist. Think a 2 level dip would need anything?

Soulmelds provide bonuses to Skills, which would need to be re-jiggered into Pathfinder Skills. You'd need to add Fly Skill bonuses to some soulmelds. You would also have to convert some Bull Rush/Grapple/Str/etc bonuses into appropriate Combat Maneuver bonuses.

Also be aware that Pathfinder seriously nerfed some special attacks. For example, in 3.5 Grapple was an attack action. In Pathfinder, Grapple is a Standard Action. So a Totemist 2 with six attacks could get six Grapple checks every round in 3.5, but just one in Pathfinder. Which sucks.

I'm looking at Rapid Pact Magic, Expel Vestige, Improved Binding and Multiattack. What other feats should I look at for this build?

There are a bunch of Vile feats (mostly in Elder Evils) which grant a potent benefit in exchange for 1 point of Con damage. Since you'll have a couple of ways of healing or negating that damage, they're a great deal. For example, Chosen of Evil gives you an Insight bonus to an attack, Save, ability check, or Skill check equal to the number of Vile feats you have as an Immediate Action. Dark Speech/Dark Whispers provide a potent Fear/Confuse effect. Insane Defiance lets you redirect any Mind-Affecting effect. And there are others.

The vestige Aym gives Halo of Fire which states that "you can deal 1d6 points of fire damage with each melee touch attack you make." Would this give all your natural weapons fire damage or is a specific melee touch attack needed?

Nope. A melee touch attack is a melee touch attack, and not your normal (non-touch) melee and natural weapon attacks.

But the Heart of Fire soulmeld bound to your Totem chakra does add Fire damage to all natural weapons.

I've only started looking at this so any Vestige/Soulmeld combo input is appreciated :)

There aren't a lot that I know about.

eggs
2012-07-09, 04:29 PM
DragoonWraith's Midnight Occultist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157493) homebrew PrC is very popular on these boards. I haven't used it or examined it closely, but the idea is intriguing.

Waker
2012-07-09, 04:45 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218434
Here is someone's attempt at PFing the Incarnum classes. Not sure if the same was done with Binder.

Tvtyrant
2012-07-09, 04:51 PM
Binders are also good with symbiotes, since you can heal the damage. Infinite stunning attempts and permanent mind blank for instance.

Bloodgruve
2012-07-09, 10:06 PM
TYVM for the input.

I'll be taking a close look at the Vile feats, kinda fits the character that I want to play.

TY for the PF Incarnum and Midnight Occultist.

Where would I find more info on Symbiots?

Blood~

Tvtyrant
2012-07-09, 11:37 PM
TYVM for the input.

I'll be taking a close look at the Vile feats, kinda fits the character that I want to play.

TY for the PF Incarnum and Midnight Occultist.

Where would I find more info on Symbiots?

Blood~

Fiend Folio and Eberron (I think magic of eberron)!

Bloodgruve
2012-07-11, 03:17 PM
Grafts look like a lot of fun...

Midnight Occultist is crazy. I really like the class and it will be part of my build if the DM allows. I've been designing some vestiges of my own but my work just doubled with these options.

So looking at Totemist2/Binder3/Midnight Occultist10/Binder5 with Multiattack, Rapid Pact Magic, Expel Vestige, Improved Binding, Chosen of Evil and a couple other Vile feats and grafts.

Any further input is appreciated.

TYVM
Blood~