PDA

View Full Version : Stating out a watchable DnD movie?

Korivan
2012-07-09, 10:48 AM
I'll admit, I didn't hate the Dnd movies. But for a game that's so awsome, the movie was a let down. So, if you had to slap hollywood in the face with an idea, what would you do.

Based on current suggestions I'm looking at this (also, this is for fun, no idea if anyone is gonna slap around execs with rolled up newspapers and rub their noses in it)

DM/Narrator: Morgan Freeman
Kelbane Blackstaff: Robert Dawny Jr.
Harkle Harper: John Cleese
Mordenkain: Patrick Stewart
Tenser: Sean Conery
Main Villian: John Malcavitch or Anthony Hopkins

But what about the actual party? Who would fulfill the smerfet rule? Probably Scarlet Johanson or Anne Hathaway id imagine. Wonder what the plot hook would be? To save a deity, find a artifact before a floating mountain falls?

Thoughts???

Daer
2012-07-09, 11:07 AM
the guy who dies during the quest - Sean Bean

Ziegander
2012-07-09, 11:07 AM
Interesting... I would not set it in Forgotten Realms at all (although concepts, locations, and/or characters are free game for the plundering). I would keep the script mature and serious with minimal and brief points of comic relief, the set design gritty and realistic with a more washed-out color-scheme, and the director would have to be vetted and take the material seriously.

Imagine a D&D movie that combined the set designers for the Lord of the Rings trilogy with Guillermo del Toro as director.

I would avoid a completely star-studded cast like the one you proposed, simply because the cost would be prohibitive for such a risky film venture as D&D: The Movie, but a few less expensive established names would be beneficial.

As a script writer myself, I've never actually considered writing a "D&D script" before, and this thread gives me a reason to think about it.

The biggest hurdle is coming with "The D&D Story," because the property is a game, with a million stories told using it, but no one story that is held as "canon" or as the most popular.

Craft (Cheese)
2012-07-09, 11:17 AM
Realistically, the best bet would be to tie the movie to specific settings and characters rather than trying to make "The D&D movie." A movie version of one of the Eberron novels, for instance (though I've no idea if the eberron novels were any good).

BRC
2012-07-09, 11:31 AM
The problem with making a "DnD Movie", or Book series, or comic, or anything is that DnD is designed as a SIMULATION of fantasy books and movies. DnD is designed to be as generic as possible, trying to "Stat out" a movie is basically just tying your storyline to a set of restrictions that don't add anything. There is a reason The Giant does not give us the character sheets for the Order of the Stick. A Wizard throwing fireballs is cool. A Wizard talking about how he's only allowed to throw two fireballs a day is less cool. A Wizard saying "If we kill that dragon, I'll level up and be able to throw three fireballs" is kind of boring.

You COULD make a movie set in a setting created for DnD, but that would be an Eberron movie, or a Forgotten Realms movie.

jackattack
2012-07-09, 11:35 AM
If I were going to write a D&D movie, I would make it a party of base class characters, but double or triple up on the fighters (melee, archer, knight?) and maybe on the rogue (thief, dirty fighter). Add a couple of henchmen for Watson moments.

Eight characters to start gives us a few we can kill off in the first reel.

Every classed character would have at least one scene, preferably two, in which they get to do one of their class' schticks. They don't necessarily have to succeed, they just have to show it off.

The plot would probably be something along the lines of "professional adventurers go looking for loot and incidentally save the village". The movie would end with the remaining characters replacing deceased party members and looking for another dungeon to crawl. I would not put the fate of the world on the party's shoulders.

I might have a scene or two where characters of slightly different alignment discuss their motivations for doing what they do, but I would not actually use the word "alignment".

----------

If I were casting a D&D movie, I would not cast anyone who has been (a prominent character) in a fantasy movie before. Period movies, maybe, but not a full-out fantasy movie.

jackattack
2012-07-09, 11:37 AM
A Wizard throwing fireballs is cool. A Wizard talking about how he's only allowed to throw two fireballs a day is less cool. A Wizard saying "If we kill that dragon, I'll level up and be able to throw three fireballs" is kind of boring.

But a Wizard shouting "Lighting Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt!" is hilarious!

Lord Tyger
2012-07-09, 11:40 AM
The problem with making a "DnD Movie", or Book series, or comic, or anything is that DnD is designed as a SIMULATION of fantasy books and movies. DnD is designed to be as generic as possible, trying to "Stat out" a movie is basically just tying your storyline to a set of restrictions that don't add anything. There is a reason The Giant does not give us the character sheets for the Order of the Stick. A Wizard throwing fireballs is cool. A Wizard talking about how he's only allowed to throw two fireballs a day is less cool. A Wizard saying "If we kill that dragon, I'll level up and be able to throw three fireballs" is kind of boring.

You COULD make a movie set in a setting created for DnD, but that would be an Eberron movie, or a Forgotten Realms movie.

Agreed in principle, but I'd point out that the idea of only being able to manage a certain number of spells per day that you have memorized derives from Jack Vance's Chronicles of the Dying Earth, which, while maybe not a movie, would make a great HBO show IMHO.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-07-09, 11:43 AM

The point is, others have tried it with results nowhere near as awesome as could have been, so I assume this is more of a "dream team" sort of thing, and an attempt to pinpoint what would be needed to capture the D&D feel.

I'd grab J. Michael Straczynski to write and produce the thing.

Lord Tyger
2012-07-09, 11:53 AM
Hmm. Joss Whedon to write/create, I think. Awesome dialogue, good blend of action, comedy, and tear wrenching sorrow, and a free Summer Glau and Nathan Fillion with every purchase.

Ziegander
2012-07-09, 12:11 PM
Hmm. Joss Whedon to write/create, I think. Awesome dialogue, good blend of action, comedy, and tear wrenching sorrow, and a free Summer Glau and Nathan Fillion with every purchase.

lol

I thought of Whedon, but nothing in his vast repertoire of writing offerings indicates that he would work well for "fantasy adventure." He has done superheroes and science fiction, both to great acclaim and success, but if anyone says that his Buffy series qualifies him as a serious fantasy writer, I'll shoot them. I love the guy, but seriously, come on.

Whedon also, I think, would want to make the whole thing more humorous than it actually should be. Too tongue-in-cheek and clever. I'm imagining him writing the Lord of the Rings trilogy and ramping up the Legolas/Gimli banter to the point of distaste.

I do very much like the thought of, "professional adventurers take a job, look for loot, and, in the process, save the village/township/city." Could even be set up for a sequel in which they "save the world."

Seerow
2012-07-09, 12:22 PM
I dunno I think Whedon could pull off an Eberron movie pretty well.

As an alternative to the setting specific movies though, I could see a movie based upon D&D with a matrix-esque premise, where you switch between the characters in the fake world where they can do all sorts of crazy stuff, and the players in the real world. If done well, it could be the sort of thing that actually spikes interest in the game itself. If done poorly, it could end up really cheesy and worse than already existing D&D movies though.

valadil
2012-07-09, 12:23 PM
The problem with making a "DnD Movie", or Book series, or comic, or anything is that DnD is designed as a SIMULATION of fantasy books and movies.

D&D is also episodic in nature. I don't think a movie will depict that accurately. You'd need to have a TV show or mini series to represent that properly.

Would the ideal D&D movie be about people playing D&D or about the story in the game? On the one hand, I'm not sure I'd like to watch a movie about D&D players. On the other, a movie of a D&D game's story would probably just be generic fantasy at best. I think showing the players would be a good way to differentiate it from yet another fantasy movie. I also think I'd find the tabletop scenes more palatable in a TV show than a movie, but I can't put my finger on why.

Kyberwulf
2012-07-09, 12:28 PM
They made it already. It's called, "The Gamers: Dorkness Raising."

Duke of URL
2012-07-09, 12:32 PM
Agree with above comments about technical stuff (cinematography, direction, etc.). For story, go here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116836) and find a way to contact the gaming group involved to buy the story rights off of them.

Seriously -- either of those two stories would make excellent movie plots and show off D&D as a storytelling system.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-09, 12:57 PM
DM/Narrator: Morgan Freeman
I hated her narrating in Asura's Wrath, and I doubt this would be different.

There was an original, you know.

Also, even though the original wasn't officially "D&D", Dorkness Rising doesn't use any system I recognize. Hit points, initiative, and six ability scores were about the only things I recognized as being in 3.X. And the first two are edition-universal.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-07-09, 01:28 PM
D&D is also episodic in nature. I don't think a movie will depict that accurately. You'd need to have a TV show or mini series to represent that properly.

Would the ideal D&D movie be about people playing D&D or about the story in the game? On the one hand, I'm not sure I'd like to watch a movie about D&D players. On the other, a movie of a D&D game's story would probably just be generic fantasy at best. I think showing the players would be a good way to differentiate it from yet another fantasy movie. I also think I'd find the tabletop scenes more palatable in a TV show than a movie, but I can't put my finger on why.

Probably because in a TV show you can open (and end) an episode with something like that as a frame-story (or whatever the heck it's called in English, a story outside the story) without actually breaking the flow of the story you really want to focus on.

nyarlathotep
2012-07-09, 01:34 PM
The best DnD movie of all time has been made. It was however cleverly disguised by making the setting appear superficially modern despite everything important to the plot using magic. This movie was called Big Trouble in Little China.

valadil
2012-07-09, 02:40 PM
Probably because in a TV show you can open (and end) an episode with something like that as a frame-story (or whatever the heck it's called in English, a story outside the story) without actually breaking the flow of the story you really want to focus on.

That was my first thought. Except that the story telling POV worked oh so well for Princess Bride I feel like it could work for another movie as well. Or maybe that just means PB is a fantastic movie and the exception that proves the rule.

I guess the player/PC dichotomy would lend itself better to a TV show. You could use the table view to get back into the show following a commercial break and whatnot.

Kerrin
2012-07-09, 03:00 PM
The best DnD movie of all time has been made. It was however cleverly disguised by making the setting appear superficially modern despite everything important to the plot using magic. This movie was called Big Trouble in Little China.
I have to laugh. A couple of weeks ago I watched Big Trouble In Little China again for the first time in 3-4 years. Good fun again!

"All I know is, this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just stands there waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him with *light* coming out of his mouth!"

Roxxy
2012-07-09, 04:02 PM
Personally, I'd abandon any focus on the game and instead revolve around a setting of the game. I like war movies, so I'd gravitate towards Dragonlance. By focusing on a setting and not game mechanics, the movie would likely be much more interesting and less filled with cliches.

Seerow
2012-07-09, 05:46 PM
I hated her narrating in Asura's Wrath, and I doubt this would be different.

1) Morgan Freeman is a dude, not a girl.
2) I just checked IMDB and Morgan Freeman never did anything for Asura's Wrath.

I think you're confused.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-09, 05:49 PM
1) Morgan Freeman is a dude, not a girl.
2) I just checked IMDB and Morgan Freeman never did anything for Asura's Wrath.

I think you're confused.

Must've been caused by reading a YouTube comment. It said something about Morgan Freeman, so I automatically assumed that was the narrator.

jackattack
2012-07-09, 07:46 PM
First, a decent script can include the episodic nature of the game. If the adventurers are shown spending the last of their loot from the previous (unseen) adventure in the first ten minutes, then spend the majority of the loot from the on-screen adventure and start looking for a new adventure in the last five minutes.

Second, I would stay away from the official D&D settings entirely. Any setting you pick is going to leave more D&D players cold than pleased. There may be licensing issues. And the majority of the movie-going audience doesn't know the settings and doesn't care about them.

Third, the game is the point. D&D created many of the cliches in question, and they deserve to be shown in their original context. Cliches aren't necessarily a bad thing if they are handled skillfully.

The difficult part is establishing the existence of widely varied monsters from the outset, as well as a codified system of magic.

Fourth, if such a movie did spawn sequels, I would put off world-saving for a long time. After saving the village in the first movie, I'd put them up against a (as in "one") dragon, then save a kingdom, then then battle demons, then save the world, and maybe go cosmic after that. Power creep is a big problem in episodic storytelling, but if it belongs anywhere it would be in a D&D movie franchise.

Starbuck_II
2012-07-09, 07:56 PM

If it works, repeat it? Independents like Gamers, would be different than a Holloywood version.
Maybe it would actually use actual feats instead of homebrew ones like in the Gamers movie. I mean, that girl cheated.

Anxe
2012-07-09, 08:35 PM
If we're going to do a D&D movie we can either tell a new story or take a story from the novels or backstory of the settings. I think a novel story would be best as they are already designed for a narrative that people experience from the outside. We, as fans, would also be able to enjoy it by seeing the differences that are created.

Going with my idea, I think the Drizzt series would be the best choice for a visualization of the novels. Most people, even if they haven't read it, are familiar with the main character. Simply doing the first book or the first trilogy would probably be a fine movie. However, it would be missing one key part of what makes D&D the game it is.

D&D is a game, but its also an interaction between the players. Part of why The Gamers is the best "D&D" movie, is because it has the players and it has the characters. I have no idea how that could be added in for Drizzt, but if it is? And if its done well? Awesome.

From there we can get into actors and directors and such. Joss Whedon as a Director/Writer sounds great. RA Salvatore as Writer/Producer also seems obvious.

However, casting gets a little confusing. I'd want the actors for the players and the characters to be the same person. I'd also want them to be nerdy as a player and heroic as a character. The stereotype would make them almost opposite in appearance when they switch. I'd also want to avoid associating the actor with the role. For example, Sean Connery as Tenser sounds awesome, but I'd find it hard to believe that Connery is the man actually playing such a character. He's just too suave to play D&D.

I think the only way I could really be satisfied is if they got an entirely new cast, like they did for the new Star Trek movie. Hell, I think I'd be okay if they cast a bunch of people from the Star Trek movie. Spock, Scotty, Sulu, and Chekov can all cross that nerd/hero border with different costumes and attitudes.

It also would be super funny if all the monsters and NPCs are played by the DM actor.

ZeroGear
2012-07-09, 09:44 PM
I would definitely spring for an Eberron movie. I mean hell, Looking at the 4E cover, the Lord of Blades is practically drawn as a magical, slightly-larger-than-human version of Megatron (from the live action movie).

Anyway, concerning things done x-times per day, here's my interpretation of how that could be played:
Performing actions like that, like a paladin calling on one's god to smite his foe, a cleric channeling positive energy, a barbarian flying into rage, and especially a wizard casting one of his highest level spells, results in a serious drain on the body. I mean, channeling raw magic though oneself to form a spell can't be good for one's health, so the person can only do it a few times. As the person gets stronger, and has more practice, these actions are easier to do, but are still a bit taxing, so there has to be a limit.
Magic items with such limits, on the other hand, have these limits because they can only contain a certain amount of magical energy at a time, when it's gone, it's gone unit the item has a chance to recharge. Kinda like a cell phone plugged into a solar panel.
In movies, these kinds of instances can be worked around quite easily simply by letting the person only take the action a few times, then depicting the character out of breath. And if you need to use the acton maybe one extra time, that is what they invented Action Points for!
I kinda think that in this case a character sheet is more like a profile; it gives the general idea of what a person is capable of rather than restricting his actions. Anyone can fight with two weapons, they're not always going to have two-weapon fighting, and they aren't always going to be good at using both weapons.

Personally, I would say a CGI movie would be better than Live Action because it lets makers do more with fewer restrictions due to real-world physics, but that's just me. If you need some inspiration for the plot, you can always turn to the novels, they do a good job at explaining the characters.
As for a story teller, Eberron is known for it's Chronicle (newspaper), just present the movie as a bard telling the story though his/her writing.

Hope that has mostly relevant.

Ps. 'The Gamers' was using 1st edition, and 'The Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising' was using 3rd edition as far as I could tell (I kinda recognized the players handbook they were using).

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-09, 09:56 PM
Ps. 'The Gamers' was using 1st edition, and 'The Gamers 2: Dorkness Rising' was using 3rd edition as far as I could tell (I kinda recognized the players handbook they were using).

The Gamers might've been using first edition. I read somewhere that the system they were using was left intentionally vague due to copyright.

The Gamers 2 was announced to be playing D&D, and was using the 3.5 PHB, but I didn't recognize it as anything more than a weird amalgam of editions. And Lodge's players complain when he deviates from the rules, so I don't know if merely saying "houserules" is enough.

huttj509
2012-07-09, 09:59 PM
Vin Diesel as a fighter/barbarian, Robin Williams as a bard, Wil Wheaton as a thief (or wizard)?

I mean hey, if you want actors who look like they actually play games...

ZeroGear
2012-07-09, 10:26 PM
Hugh Jackman as a Shifter, preferably a ranger that rights with two weapons (again, spiked gauntlets preferred)

Johnny Depp as a rogue or a bard, preferably an Elf.

Can anyone think of a decent voice actor for a Warforged?

For some reason, I could just picture Wanda Skykes lending her voice to a gnome spell caster, possibly a Cleric, Druid, or Wizard, although the character would have to be played by someone else due to her being too tall.

huttj509
2012-07-09, 10:33 PM
Hugh Jackman as a Shifter, preferably a ranger that rights with two weapons (again, spiked gauntlets preferred)

Johnny Depp as a rogue or a bard, preferably an Elf.

For some reason, I could just picture Wanda Skykes lending her voice to a gnome spell caster, possibly a Cleric, Druid, or Wizard, although the character would have to be played by someone else due to her being too tall.

Height can be handled. See the Lord of the Rings movies?

ZeroGear
2012-07-09, 10:36 PM
Height can be handled. See the Lord of the Rings movies?

Valid point.
So...any ideas for a warforged?

Anxe
2012-07-09, 10:59 PM
I think a warforged would need some voice altering to really be good. Kind of like how Tony Stark's voice is a little different when he's in the Iron Man suit. The specific actor would depend on what type of warforged you wanted to do.

Ianuagonde
2012-07-10, 01:17 PM
Patrick Stewart as the party leader, definitely. I would also like to nominate Neil Patrick Harris as a semi-caster, a bard or beguiler for example.

For the ending: the party gets smacked around by the BBEG. It's clear they're vastly outclassed. Then, a lone figure appears in the smoke, clearly unarmed and unarmored. And the party cries out: "Praise the Gods, a monk of the (*insert name*) order, we're saved!" And the smoke clears to reveal Chuck Norris.

Scots Dragon
2012-07-10, 01:53 PM
Patrick Stewart as the party leader, definitely. I would also like to nominate Neil Patrick Harris as a semi-caster, a bard or beguiler for example.

For the ending: the party gets smacked around by the BBEG. It's clear they're vastly outclassed. Then, a lone figure appears in the smoke, clearly unarmed and unarmored. And the party cries out: "Praise the Gods, a monk of the (*insert name*) order, we're saved!" And the smoke clears to reveal Jet Li.

Fixed that for you.

Also substitute Jackie Chan at your leisure.

The Glyphstone
2012-07-10, 02:22 PM

For the ending: the party gets smacked around by the BBEG. It's clear they're vastly outclassed. Then, a lone figure appears in the smoke, clearly unarmed and unarmored. And the party cries out: "Praise the Gods, a monk of the (*insert name*) order, we're saved!" And the smoke clears to reveal Chuck Norris.

At which point the trope is subverted by the BBEd also smacking around Chuck Norris?:smallcool: The man's been reduced to sponsoring Bowflex commercials, he doesn't exactly have a great acting career anymore.

Kaveman26
2012-07-10, 03:05 PM
If I were going to tackle something like this I would need to make several assumptions and work from several specific ideas

Premise:

*I would avoid pre-written novels like they were a plague. Drizzt COULD translate very well to the large screen. Kelemover and the ascension to his status as the God of Death COULD translate very well. Elminster COULD work. But ultimately each of those projects will fail if they are presented first.

*I would work to avoid completely original content. As several have alluded to Eberron would potentially work as would Forgotten Realms. Specific modules would be very hard to translate.

*I would take the concept of some of the most highly regarded old school modules as inspiration for the meat of the movie. Things like Temple of Elemental Evil, Queen of Spiders, Against the Giants, Keep on the Borderlands etc. I would lean heavily towards Tomb of Horrors. It is sufficiently vague to allow creative license and adaptation, but atmospheric and contained enough to provide drama.

Cast:

*Big name actors are out. Vin Diesel might be in based on history of being associated with the game and playing, but I doubt he will work for scale and give up millions. Probably more like a cameo role. Maybe the voice of demi-lich?Adrienne Curry as a cameo role etc.

*Ideally you would want genre familiar people that are willing to work with the material and not just chew scenery.

Game Stuff:

* I would avoid references to levels, classes, and "Skills" like the plague. A reference to a deeper resovoir of power for a wizard fine, increased focus and precision of movement for a rogue sure.

*If I do reference in game stuff it will be logical and part of the story. I will explain a bag of holding and not just have people randomly shoving things in there.

*I will avoid shout outs to famous D and D landmarks and concepts. This irked me to no end with Harry Potter. Every movie someone would bring up "Diagon Alley" in this awed voice and then the music changes and BAM!, change of scenery to the wizard market place complete with upbeat excited music. They were playing up the location as famous from the book. Sure Harry would have been excited the first time he goes there, after that its like going to the mall. I won't have people thrilled to death to walk into Waterdeep and see the bucket heading down to the underdark.

Movie Itself:

*Cold open to the group in a battle amidst a tomb or dungeon. James Bond style 5 minute frantic battle that helps individualize each character. Cold open gives us the hook/macguffin for the movie.

*A warrior type will hold a portcullis. No arguments, this WILL happen.

* A wizard will pop off a fireball non chalantly. Non-Negotiable.

*There will be an in joke where the group finds the magic items from the characters in D&D cartoon series.

That's all I got right now

Ravenica
2012-07-10, 03:21 PM

Billy Dee Williams!

ZeroGear
2012-07-10, 05:25 PM
I nominate the movie having a Gazebo in it! And the paladin getting eaten by it!
:smallannoyed: I don't care, that joke is a staple of D&D, and this is just a Monty Python moment waiting to happen!

newBlazingAngel
2012-07-10, 09:47 PM
I hate to use the term 'like dorkness' but I think that's the best method to play out a movie without it just being a fantasy movie that could have been a D&D campaign.

Characters:

The DM- Morgan Freeman. Or somebody like him. Pull a joke about a cocky young player insulting his age.

Newb- Obvious but Necessary for audience knowledge.

The obsessed one- Draws heavily from Pete, the Darths and Droids character. He min maxes, own thousands of dice, ect.

The buds- Two players who are buddies in and out of game. May lead to tragedy later.

Vin Diesel- It would be practically impossible to get him, but oh how amazing it would be. The shock and awe. Also, he could definitely be a warforged. The guy was the voice of the iron giant. (After editing but he might have a voice changer.)

Premise: I'd be going for something cliche with D&D but nowhere else. This means fighting D&D monsters practically unrecognizable to an outside of observer, creating the illusion of originality. Kobolds, Gnolls, and gelatinous ooze. And naturally, a ton of inside jokes. You all meet in a tavern, evil cultists have kidnapped the local princess, Raya McGuffin, who is part of a prophecy that could destroy the earth.

My only two demands would somebody who can narrate like Morgan Freeman, and a paladin who gets a good death. Not a throw away death, but a final stand against overwhelming odds where he downs the leader with a final smite.

Manly Man
2012-07-11, 10:08 AM
I'd heard the idea somebody said to make a series instead of a movie, and the first thing that popped into my head was a recreation of Gary Gygax and his buddies' adventures under Castle Greyhawk up until they get to Zagyg at the bottom.

As for a D&D movie itself, I'd say to have it be animated, since you tend to get better results at making things seem to be fantastic when you don't have to worry about the sillier things, like reality and the laws of physics. As far as I know, although I could be wrong, voice acting is cheaper than live action as well, and on that basis there could be many folks who, while probably not suited very well to actually acting out as a hero, certainly have the voice for it. Michael Bell, for example, could do the voicing for someone dramatic, poetic, yet snarky- the perfect fit for the team's bard- if his Legacy of Kain work is anything to go by. Tim Curry would have to play a wizard, whether a hero or a villain; there is no other way. I'm sure that Vin Diesel would be happy to voice a character similar to his own Melcor, although a complete expy of him would be too much. I'm not exactly sure of who else would be what character, though.

I figure that the story would go something along the lines of the original party being a bunch of murderhobos who happen to congregate during a scuffle with some orcs/goblins/kobolds, and decide to venture into the nearst town together for a rest at the local inn before heading off. They find out that the place is in shambles, the people are miserable, and there are stories of a mad wizard that kidnaps people of all kinds for his magical experiments. They get hired by town council, and are forced to learn about one another to synergize and cooperate with one another properly; whether they actually get along or not is a tossup for me. Eventually they figure out a certain theme that the wizard has going, probably basing it off of a particular school of magic. Undead minions are an option in this case, but not so much as horror monsters as they are just mindless bags of carrion. Eventually, they reach the wizard's keep, storm it, have a definite uphill climb in terms of navigating and fighting their way through it, and then have an epic battle at the top with the wizard, lots of explosions and whacking and whatnot. Wizard is defeated, the adventurers loot the place silly, and end up being celebrated as local heroes when they return. The ending should have the group decide that they aren't so bad around each other after all, and then answer a call that has them walking into the sunset together, eager to have their next adventure.

Obviously, there are probably better ideas for an adventure, but it's certainly an example of a low-level one that could still be very entertaining. We all know that folks like Aragorn could be equated to something around level five, and look at how well that came out. It's all in the writing.

Saintheart
2012-07-12, 06:04 AM

PETER.

http://www.drawingnow.com/file/pic/gallery/109470_view.jpg

CULLEN.