PDA

View Full Version : Help me weave a tapestry!

Dr Bwaa
2012-07-09, 11:38 AM
All right, Playgrounders. I'm hoping your collective experience and expertise can help me out here, as I have a rather large project (potential project, anyway) and I don't actually have the resources to get it done on my own. Allow me to explain.

My main/oldest gaming group is comprised entirely of my closest childhood friends. A week or two ago, the GM of our longest-running campaign proposed to his girlfriend, and she accepted. Besides the miscellaneous other responsibilities as close friends of the groom-to-be, the rest of us want to pool our efforts to create a large wall tapestry depicting a map/characters/scene from this most involved campaign, as a wedding present. [Note: his fiancee would not be upset about this in the slightest; no concerns about that. The only question is whether it's feasible.]

This is where you come in, Playgrounders. Has anyone done something like this before? Do you have any recommendations on companies that make high-quality custom tapestries? Perhaps most importantly of all: Does anyone have the artistic talent to help us out with the actual artwork (this is a rhetorical question; I know you people do)?

I'll add more clarifications/etc if necessary :smallsmile:

Clarification: We do not intend to weave this ourselves; as far as the actual product is concerned, I am looking for advice on professional options.

Clarification: I am aware that there will presumably be a non-insignificant cost incurred for each phase of this project (design, professional weaving, etc). This is not a problem, but any advice on appropriate pricing for this sort of thing would be much appreciated.

Story Time
2012-07-10, 03:53 AM
...size...is a concern...

...for an example a high-quality image could be reduced to '256' colors and then transposed into a software to make a cross-stitch pattern. This could be done in pieces, but not every-one wants a cross-stitch tapestry. It is possible to have a cloth canvas for the pattern itself and to make the big tapestry in pieces and then sew it together...but that kind of thing imposes other limits like paying the people or company who would put it together.

A real loom weave might be the the better option from an experienced worker. But there is a cost facet there that some might not be willing to swallow.

If it's a wedding gift, I...don't think it'd be a good idea for first-time stitchers to dive into it. What might be better is a set of place-mats for eight or twelve. That would be...easier...and probably more simple in terms of cost.

...at any rate, this is what comes to mind. There could be more options. Try to make the decision carefully.

Dr Bwaa
2012-07-10, 08:44 AM
I should have been more clear on that point; thank you. I'm mostly looking for people who might be willing to help with the artistic side (design, layout, as well as the actual artwork), and advice on respectable professional options for actually making the thing. There would be several people pitching in for this project; we are expecting there to be some cost associated with all aspects of an undertaking like this. I'll update the OP to be a bit clearer.

willfrankjoy
2012-11-16, 07:38 AM
I guess both size and quality are the main concern. You can look in to this along with the other factors.

----------------------
weaving looms (http://www.paradisefibers.com/weaving/table-and-floor-looms-1.html)

Ramon
2012-12-07, 06:04 PM
Hello,
did you get any advance on this project? I'm writing because a while ago i prepared a banner for myself and that was a very fun project (like 10 years ago and dont have a single picture of it... :smalleek:)... this just brings me good memories.

My first question is about the type of work you have in mind, my banner was a mix of painting embroidering and patchwork, but the result was fun. So in order to help you this will be the first question to solve. I imagine that you are thinking of something of a relative good size that may be hanged on a wall (about 3" x 4 or 5"?) so this gives you plenty of space to design and add detail there.

My suggestion will be to set the basemap as a painting and background for the tappestry (this might be painted over canvas) and then make the scenes, characters and other details from silk or other colored fabric. you then will sew those pieces over the map and finally you can add details such as roads, paths and some lettering embroidered to your piece.

But starting from this, your next step will be finding someone to help with the design.

Finally, this is something i can not help much (i live in Perú) is finding someone to excecuthe the full project. My guess will be to get people that do those quilts. I understand that this technique is used commonly in USA.

Hope this helps a little, if you put a scketch of what you have in mind, I'm sure we can provide you with more ideas. I'll try to find pictures of other works similar to what i described if this helps.

hasta Luego!