PDA

View Full Version : How do Uberchargers work?

Morithias
2012-07-09, 12:38 PM
Despite having seen these "chargers that do hundreds of damage" referenced all over this site, I can't seem to actually find a handbook on how to do it.

I'm working on a mounted charger using "kishi charger" from oriental to do x4 damage, but other than "take power attack". I can't find any real info on these, and even at full power attack, the power attack bonus damage only comes to 80 plus whatever the lance itself does.

So how are people getting like 300+ damage on their charges?

Thanks for the help!

Tyndmyr
2012-07-09, 12:46 PM
Despite having seen these "chargers that do hundreds of damage" referenced all over this site, I can't seem to actually find a handbook on how to do it.

I'm working on a mounted charger using "kishi charger" from oriental to do x4 damage, but other than "take power attack". I can't find any real info on these, and even at full power attack, the power attack bonus damage only comes to 80 plus whatever the lance itself does.

So how are people getting like 300+ damage on their charges?

Thanks for the help!

Aright, generally, you take pounce. Thus, you get full attacks on even a charge. The easiest means of doing this is grabbing a level of lion totem barb, and hey, rage adds damage too.

Then you slap on power attack and shock trooper, which means you're bleeding off armor instead of to-hit. This is very good for average damage numbers.

Slap on leap attack, for +100% damage from power attack, and suddenly, damage numbers are quite respectable(2h weapons are considered standard).

Things like snap kick are additional possibilities, but frankly, stacking strength and size benefits(half minotaur is a great template) seem to be pretty standard. There's a lot of ways to get >300 damage, but with this basic path, you should be set up solidly.

Morithias
2012-07-09, 12:52 PM
Aright, generally, you take pounce. Thus, you get full attacks on even a charge. The easiest means of doing this is grabbing a level of lion totem barb, and hey, rage adds damage too.

Then you slap on power attack and shock trooper, which means you're bleeding off armor instead of to-hit. This is very good for average damage numbers.

Slap on leap attack, for +100% damage from power attack, and suddenly, damage numbers are quite respectable(2h weapons are considered standard).

Things like snap kick are additional possibilities, but frankly, stacking strength and size benefits(half minotaur is a great template) seem to be pretty standard. There's a lot of ways to get >300 damage, but with this basic path, you should be set up solidly.

Okay Kishi charger lets me full attack while charging on my mount so that's covered. Power attack and shock trooper makes sense...I'm pretty sure you can't use leap attack when mounted.

I thought they meant it was 300+ in one ubercharge, not a full attack. With full attack, my attack will be doing the 300+. Thanks for the info.

Okay, that mystery is solved, time to create the "Sisters of Battle".

Flickerdart
2012-07-09, 01:00 PM
Take, say, 30 Strength.

+5 Kinetic Lance: 1d8+25 damage (avg close enough to 30)
+40 damage from Power Attack/Shock Trooper
= 70 base damage
+70 from being a lance (damage on a charge attack)
+70 from Spirited Charge
+70 from Valorous enchantment
=280 damage per attack

Menteith
2012-07-09, 01:00 PM
Okay Kishi charger lets me full attack while charging on my mount so that's covered. Power attack and shock trooper makes sense...I'm pretty sure you can't use leap attack when mounted.

I thought they meant it was 300+ in one ubercharge, not a full attack. With full attack, my attack will be doing the 300+. Thanks for the info.

If you're looking for a way to do that kind of damage with a single attack, then mounted chargers can pull it off pretty easily. Check out Person Man's wonderful guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7165087) on the subject for more details.

mootoall
2012-07-09, 01:04 PM
Generally it involves a nasty combination of the Valorous weapon enhancement, Spirited Charge, a lance, and a bunch of Power Attack.

eggs
2012-07-09, 01:08 PM
Needs more multipliers! Rhino's Rush and Frenzied Berserker are usually a start.

Tokuhara
2012-07-09, 01:10 PM
Depends.

If you want the Barbarian version, it runs with Power Attack, Pounce, and Leap Attack while charging

The mounted version is far more simple. It uses Spirited Charge, a lance, and features that boost the multiplier for damage (Valorous in 3.5, Glorious Charge from Gendarme Cavalier in PF)

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-09, 01:17 PM
Human, Spirit Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy, Skilled City Dweller: Ride for Tumble, (Possibly Wolf Totem, but that isn't needed) Barbarian 6

Feats:
1) Power Attack
Hu) Battle Jump
3) Improved Bull Rush
6) Shock Trooper

Items of note: A Large +1 Gloryborn Valorous Greatsword (a +2-equivalent weapon), Strongarm Bracers, and a +2 Enhancement item of strength.

Assumptions: He starts with an 18 strength. He has maxxed jump and gotten the synergy bonuses to jump.

Here is his attack routine on a Whirling Frenzy-enabled Heedless Charge, jumping at the enemy to enable Battle Jump, with full power attack, at level 6:

Attack 1:
25 str (+7)
-2 to hit from whirling frenzy
+6 bab to hit
+1 enhancement to hit

Damage: 3d6
+1 enhancement
+10 strength (7 +3)
+1 Gloryborn
+12 Power Attack
+2 Charge bonus to hit

Multiplier x3 = Battle Jump (x2) + Valorous (x2)

Damage on first attack is 9d6+72

So +14/9d6+72

Attack 2:
25 str (+7)
+6 bab to hit
+1 enhancement to hit
+2 Charge bonus to hit

This is the same as the first attack, so +14/9d6+72

Attack 3 (iterative attack):
25 str (+7)
+1 bab to hit
+1 enhancement to hit
+2 charge bonus to hit

+9 to hit

Damage:
2d6
+1 enhancement
+10 strength (7+3)
+1 Gloryborn
+2 power attack

So this is +9/9d6+42

Also, here's a barbarian that DOES get several hundred damage per attack...

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12842.20

Kalaska'Agathas
2012-07-09, 01:22 PM
As they say, in before the 'hood (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7200).

Oscredwin
2012-07-09, 01:29 PM
Human, Spirit Lion Totem, Whirling Frenzy, Skilled City Dweller: Ride for Tumble, (Possibly Wolf Totem, but that isn't needed) Barbarian 6

Feats:
1) Power Attack
Hu) Battle Jump
3) Improved Bull Rush
6) Shock Trooper

Items of note: A Large +1 Gloryborn Valorous Greatsword (a +2-equivalent weapon), Strongarm Bracers, and a +2 Enhancement item of strength.

Assumptions: He starts with an 18 strength. He has maxxed jump and gotten the synergy bonuses to jump.

Here is his attack routine on a Whirling Frenzy-enabled Heedless Charge, jumping at the enemy to enable Battle Jump, with full power attack, at level 6:

Attack 1:
25 str (+7)
+6 bab to hit
+1 enhancement to hit

Damage: 3d6
+1 enhancement
+10 strength (7 +3)
+1 Gloryborn
+12 Power Attack
+2 Charge bonus to hit

Multiplier x3 = Battle Jump (x2) + Valorous (x2)

Damage on first attack is 9d6+72

So +14/9d6+72

Attack 2:
25 str (+7)
+6 bab to hit
+1 enhancement to hit
+2 Charge bonus to hit

This is the same as the first attack, so +14/9d6+72

Attack 3 (iterative attack):
25 str (+7)
+1 bab to hit
+1 enhancement to hit
+2 charge bonus to hit

+9 to hit

Damage:
2d6
+1 enhancement
+10 strength (7+3)
+1 Gloryborn
+2 power attack

So this is +9/9d6+42

Also, here's a barbarian that DOES get several hundred damage per attack...

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12842.20

When you power attack all your attacks get the same bonus to damage from power attack for the whole round. Iteratives don't lose PA bonus proportional to their lose in BAB.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-07-09, 01:31 PM

Psywar/Slayer/Pyrokeneticist.

Needs more multipliers! Rhino's Rush and Frenzied Berserker are usually a start.

Just Say No to Frenzied Berserker. Friendly fire isn't friendly, and being a walking TPK is not fun for your friends.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-09, 01:36 PM
When you power attack all your attacks get the same bonus to damage from power attack for the whole round. Iteratives don't lose PA bonus proportional to their lose in BAB.

The thing is, you can't lose more than your BAB, though... was this clarified in a FAQ somewhere??

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-07-09, 01:40 PM
The thing is, you can't lose more than your BAB, though... was this clarified in a FAQ somewhere??

No, you can't lose more than your BAB. However, not having to sacrifice your BAB to attack means you hit more often, which means more damage output.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-09, 02:20 PM
That's why I thought you can't lose more than your iterative BAB on your iterative attacks...

Diarmuid
2012-07-09, 02:48 PM
I think the better clarification is that your BAB is a static number, and iterative attacks simply impose penalties to your attack rolls on subsequent attacks, hence you can have the same PA penalty for all of your attacks, regardless of iteratives.

lsfreak
2012-07-09, 03:00 PM
Just Say No to Frenzied Berserker. Friendly fire isn't friendly, and being a walking TPK is not fun for your friends.

Though you can mitigate this somewhat by handing the wizard and rogue both a wand of grease. Not allowed the Balance check to move, so you're stuck there until the frenzy wears off.

But yea, frenzied berserker is generally one of those things covered by gentlemen's agreement, either for annoyance/TPK factor or because of how crazy it gets with charging.

Yuki Akuma
2012-07-09, 03:10 PM
That's why I thought you can't lose more than your iterative BAB on your iterative attacks...

Your Base Attack Bonus is 6.

Even on your second attack. You just take a -5 penalty to your second attack.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-09, 03:15 PM
Though you can mitigate this somewhat by handing the wizard and rogue both a wand of grease. Not allowed the Balance check to move, so you're stuck there until the frenzy wears off.

But yea, frenzied berserker is generally one of those things covered by gentlemen's agreement, either for annoyance/TPK factor or because of how crazy it gets with charging.

Another amusing take on it is to add both the viscous and merciful enchantments to the frenzied berzerker's weapon. Thus, he doesn't actually kill anyone in his wild rages(though you can obviously execute the very knocked out people he's done with...)

And, as a side benefit, he will eventually knock himself out if he gets too out of control.

Person_Man
2012-07-09, 04:19 PM
Optimizing Power Attack (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7165087)

Urpriest
2012-07-09, 04:36 PM
Take, say, 30 Strength.

+5 Kinetic Lance: 1d8+25 damage (avg close enough to 30)

Where is Kinetic from?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-07-09, 04:56 PM
Psywar/Slayer/Pyrokeneticist.

Is frenzy tied to rage? Cause if not, you could wake up, go to a secluded place (I am partial to extra dimensional spaces such as a rope trick spell) use all of your frenzies in short time, return to your party and ask your cleric for something to cure the fatigue/exhaustion.*

Note that this only work if all the other abilities of the FB are not tied to frenzy.

*This is extremely cheesy/munchckiny and I only suggested it tongue in cheek.
Dusk Eclipse isn't liable for any injury sustained due a DMG being thrown at you by an irate DM, or similar.

Tvtyrant
2012-07-09, 04:59 PM
I believe it is also do-able from a natural weapon standpoint, making up for the 2:1 by having a lot more attacks.

elonin
2012-07-09, 05:02 PM
Don't think that helps. The FB class is about improving rage.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-09, 05:08 PM
The current standard as far as I'm aware are the Hood builds, which under normal conditions achieve something like 7 attacks at 7d6+1118 damage each. The full guide is over at BG (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7200).

This does require pseudocustom magic items (unique item properties being applied to other items as per the MIC), access to a lot of sources, some setting-specific and a DM who will tolerate you putting out five figure damage numbers occasionally.

Flickerdart
2012-07-09, 05:40 PM
Where is Kinetic from?
Sorry - upon checking the name, it's actually called Collision, the simple +2 for 5 damage enchantment in the XPH/SRD.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-07-09, 06:47 PM
Though you can mitigate this somewhat by handing the wizard and rogue both a wand of grease. Not allowed the Balance check to move, so you're stuck there until the frenzy wears off.Then watch as the character is neutralized by opponents who can do similar things. Most FB builds bypass this weakness by having flight somehow, which also negates the problem of flying opponents being unreachable by your FB.

The problem is that the more ways you have of stopping your friend when he goes out of control... the more ways opponents have of stopping him from being a factor in combat. If you build him in such a way that you can't shut him down easily... well, that's a problem for the party as well as the opponents.

Also, frenzy is triggered every time he takes damage. Tucker's Kobolds can plink him with 1d3 damage repeatedly until he fails a saving throw and goes after the party, since there's no other visible threat.

Golden Ladybug
2012-07-09, 08:40 PM
Frenzied Berserker is one of those "dude, don't do that sh*t" classes, but damn if it doesn't make pretty damage numbers :smallbiggrin:

Spoilered for length and potential irrelevance

Dragonborn Water Orc PounceTrip Barbarian 2/Fighter 4/Frenzied Berserker 5

1) Power Attack
F) Cleave
F) Intimidating Rage
3) Destructive Rage
Fighter 1) Improved Bull Rush
Fighter 2) Dungeon Crasher
6) Shock Trooper
Fighter 4) Headlong Rush
etc, etc

Assuming 22 Base Strength, with a +4 Item (Not at all unreasonable for an ECL11 character), Rage, Frenzy, and both ability increases to strength that gives us 38 Strength in optimal conditions. Bum an Enlarge Person off the Party Wizard.

Lets say our Frenzied Berserker is the proud owner of some Armbands of Might, because free damage is free damage. A +1 Valorous Ranseur is also nice, which we'll get our Wizard Friend to GMW up to +3. Being a Dragonborn, we can fly up above our target and fly straight down at them, minimizing the drawbacks of Headlong Rush, while also gaining the bonus damage from Piercing Charge.

Our Attack Routine: +11/+6/+1 (BAB) +15 (Strength) +3 (Weapon) +2 (Charge) -2 Size = +31/+31/+26/+21

Our Damage:

2d6+25 (Ranseur)
+33 (Improved Power Attack)
+2 (Armbands of Might)
= 70 (Average) Damage

Headlong Rush x2
Valorous x3
Piercing Charge x4

= 265 (Average) Damage

Assuming all four attacks hit, that deals 1060 damage on a Charge, on average. And you make free trip attempts after each hit.

If you're allowed to get the bonus damage on a Lance when you're not mounted, you can use that instead of a Ranseur for another Multiplier

This works out to be 402 damage per hit, or 1608 on a charge.

Now, you just have to find a way of not killing your buddies after you get all this done. My favourite way is to buy your Wizard/Rogue friend a Wand of Calm Emotions and voluntarily fail your saving throws against it.

Now, lets see what happens at ECL 20

Dragonborn Water Orc PounceTrip Barbarian 2/Fighter 6/Frenzied Berserker 10/X 2

1) Power Attack
F) Cleave
F) Intimidating Rage
3) Destructive Rage
Fighter 1) Improved Bull Rush
Fighter 2) Dungeon Crasher
6) Shock Trooper
Fighter 4) Headlong Rush
9) Knockdown
12) Combat Relfexes
15) Robilar's Gambit
18) Steadfast Determination
Fighter 6) Dungeon Crasher 2

Your +1 Valorous Ranseur/Lance is now a +1 Valorous Brutal Surge Collision Ranseur/Lance and you've got a +6 Item of Strength, as well as a +5 Tome. All your Ability Bonuses go into Strength. Pay for your Enlarge Person to be Permancied (If that allows you to qualify for the Knockback feat from RoS, offset your feat progression by a level and take it). GMW your weapon up to +5

Attack: +20/+15/+10/+5 (BAB) +22 (Strength) +5 (Weapon) +2 (Charge) -2 Size = +47/+47/+42/+37/+32

Damage:

2d6+43
+80 (Supreme Power Attack)
+2 (Armbands of Might)
+5 (Collision)

=137 (Average)

Headlong Rush x2
Valorous x3
Piercing Charge x4
(Lance x5)

=548 (685) Damage

That makes our full attack reach the area of 2740 (3425)

And then, since we charged them into the ground, we can make a bull rush attempt (at +30) to Dungeon Crash them into the ground (8d6+66 Damage). Take that, enemy/friend of the Frenzied Beserker.

We also get to make a trip attempt every time we do more than 10 damage to someone, followed up by another attack from Improved Trip, and even though these additional attacks don't get the ridiculous multipliers of our charges, we can use them with Robilar's Gambit to stand there in the middle of our foes and still take down everyone who looks at us funny. If the unlucky sod who got in the way of our charge is somehow still alive after it, we can do this to them as well.

Besides, its not like we're going to have good AC (-20 from Shock Trooper), and Deathless Frenzy is going to keep us standing for the whole fight. Its not like lowering it any further is going to matter much.

kpenguin
2012-07-09, 08:41 PM
Well, see, when you heal your teammates with your medigun long enough and build up your uber meter...

Anxe
2012-07-09, 08:46 PM
When I built one as an NPC I also tacked on Ranger and Favored Enemy Power Attack for a little extra boost.

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-09, 08:50 PM
The current standard as far as I'm aware are the Hood builds, which under normal conditions achieve something like 7 attacks at 7d6+1118 damage each. The full guide is over at BG (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7200).

This does require pseudocustom magic items (unique item properties being applied to other items as per the MIC), access to a lot of sources, some setting-specific and a DM who will tolerate you putting out five figure damage numbers occasionally.

Incidently, where in the MIC does it actually say that? I've looked it over a lot trying to find things for my warblade ubercharger but haven't seen it. :smallfrown:

Tvtyrant
2012-07-09, 11:41 PM
Well, see, when you heal your teammates with your medigun long enough and build up your uber meter...

This would actually be kind of cool for a Healer. Every 1d4 rounds you can make someone invulnerable.

Rejakor
2012-07-10, 02:20 AM
Unfortunately, it's too easy for clerics to make things immune to death (delay death, greater ironguard) but it doesn't just last for a couple of rounds.

That said, when I update the spark scientos class, i'll probably add a Science Gun and short term invincibility into the medical spark subschool.

Uberchargers work because there are too many things that add a multiplier onto power attack damage. Valorous, spirited charge, leap attack, heedless charge... add to that things that give extra attacks, and add on misc damage or multiple entire damage sets (heedless charge, battle jump), and you get huge piles of damage. This is basically the only way to do huge piles of damage in DnD barring CL telekinesis multitossing, hulking hurler, or mailman sorcerers, as the designers were terrified of damage stacking and completely ignored the fact that save or suck or save or die (or no save, you die) spells effectively wiped out the hp bar all in one go.

LordBlades
2012-07-10, 02:30 AM
Regarding Frenzied Berserker, it's worth discussing with your DM whether Iron Heart Surge can end Frenzy. It's not entirely clear by RAW either way, so quite a few DMs allow it.

herrhauptmann
2012-07-10, 12:44 PM
I'm pretty sure you can't use leap attack when mounted.
It's debatable. Play a tauric shaped creature, so that you ARE your mount. Problem solved.
One variety of inevitable, and the races of faerun centaurs get mounted feats without needing the ride skill. So there's your justification for using ride-by attack on your bariaur/centaur/tauric template.

Oh, and if mounted, use 2 lances. They're suddenly one handed weapons (which should include while as a centaur)Gonna go back over my math for this later. Until then, ignore the italics.

Incidently, where in the MIC does it actually say that? I've looked it over a lot trying to find things for my warblade ubercharger but haven't seen it. :smallfrown:
I assume you're talking about customizing unique items...
Unique items can be deconstructed so that the enchantments can be recreated on other weapons:
example:

Life-Drinker

This +1 greataxe is favored by undead and constructs, who do not suffer its drawback. A life-drinker bestows two negative levels on its target whenever it deals damage, just as if its target had been struck by an undead creature. One day after being struck, subjects must make a DC 16 Fortitude save for each negative level or lose a character level.

Each time a life-drinker deals damage to a foe, it also bestows one negative level on the wielder. Any negative level gained by the wielder in this fashion lasts for 1 hour.

Strong necromancy; CL 13th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, enervation; Price 40,320 gp;
MW Greataxe=320gp.
+1 enchantment=2000gp.
That gives 38000 left over, which is the cost of the 'life-drinker.' Tada! Now put the lifedrinker on any weapon you want, and so long as you've got soulfire armor (BoED) you're dealing 2 negative levels per hit. (Breakdown doesn't work as well with the epic version)

mootoall
2012-07-10, 06:02 PM
Oh, and if mounted, use 2 lances. They're suddenly one handed weapons (which should include while as a centaur)

This is a Bad Idea. You would have to give up the bonus to PA that you get for using a two handed weapon, with no real benefit.

herrhauptmann
2012-07-10, 07:18 PM
This is a Bad Idea. You would have to give up the bonus to PA that you get for using a two handed weapon, with no real benefit.

Hmm... Ignoring all extra feats and magic
2:1 returns if wielded two-handed.

But if TWF lances. -4 on each hand (at a minimum)
1:1 PA for main hand.
0.5:1 for the off hand? Having trouble finding Power attack for the offhand with a non-light weapon.

Hypothetical character who gets say a 5:1 PA two handed. Should then be getting like a 4:1 and 3.5:1, at that -4 to attack. If you still have an almost guaranteed hit with that -4, should be worth it.
That's the reasoning I was workign off of, but the math seems a little odd now, particularly for the off-hand.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-10, 07:20 PM
It might be able to work if you could get multiple limbs. You might end up ahead damage-wise using, say, three 2-handed Lances with Girallon Arms rather than 1 lance in six hands.

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-10, 07:54 PM
I assume you're talking about customizing unique items...
Unique items can be deconstructed so that the enchantments can be recreated on other weapons:
example:

MW Greataxe=320gp.
+1 enchantment=2000gp.
That gives 38000 left over, which is the cost of the 'life-drinker.' Tada! Now put the lifedrinker on any weapon you want, and so long as you've got soulfire armor (BoED) you're dealing 2 negative levels per hit. (Breakdown doesn't work as well with the epic version)

Yes, the formula was quite clear, but I'm trying to find the explicit ruling that you can actually do it. I've seen it assumed that you can in many places, but I've spent a good 3 hours looking over that thing for the ruling without seeing it. Is it better to make a separate thread for this?

herrhauptmann
2012-07-10, 07:57 PM
Definitely a new thread for the custom item question.
Good luck.

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-10, 08:03 PM
Definitely a new thread for the custom item question.
Good luck.

Alright, I'll need it.

On topic of the thread, warbeast is your best friend as far as non-paladin mounted charger goes. Pick up any animal you want ever. Dirt cheap. I made a raging barbarian with a dire tiger for a mount. It was pretty sweet at level 6.

Roderick_BR
2012-07-11, 12:20 PM

Jump check. Depending on some numbers (height, skill roll, spell level, etc) he can literally jump over it. And can justify that he ALWAYS jump when charging and power attacking.
Had a FB in my group once. He almost one-shoted the fighter. An epic level one. With only the feat Cleave's extra attack.

Flickerdart
2012-07-11, 12:23 PM
Jump check. Depending on some numbers (height, skill roll, spell level, etc) he can literally jump over it. And can justify that he ALWAYS jump when charging and power attacking.
Had a FB in my group once. He almost one-shoted the fighter. An epic level one. With only the feat Cleave's extra attack.
Except how the Grease is cast underneath him, he falls over and can't charge anywhere.

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-07-11, 02:11 PM
Except how the Grease is cast underneath him, he falls over and can't charge anywhere.

Except now your level 20 Ubercharger capable of one-shotting Ao is now able to be completely eliminated by a level 1 Kobold Sorcerer with Grease...

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-11, 03:22 PM

Depending on what levels we're talking about, I'd expect the charger to have multiple movement modes plus freedom of movement.

Flickerdart
2012-07-11, 03:41 PM
Depending on what levels we're talking about, I'd expect the charger to have multiple movement modes plus freedom of movement.
Uh, what? The post I quoted was talking about jumping over the grease as a counter. Flying has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-11, 03:48 PM

Which is why Frenzied Berserkers are specifically NOT supposed to get those. So they can be shut down by the party with a bag of marbles.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-11, 03:50 PM
Uh, what? The post I quoted was talking about jumping over the grease as a counter. Flying has nothing whatsoever to do with it.

He said he'd jump over it. You said you'd cast it directly under him. At that point, alternate movement modes (or FoM) matter. In the case of a general ubercharger, you'd expect to have those things. In the case of a FB, you probably wouldn't so the party could scatter without casualties.

LordBlades
2012-07-12, 12:12 AM
Which is why Frenzied Berserkers are specifically NOT supposed to get those. So they can be shut down by the party with a bag of marbles.

If he doesn't get them, then he's largely useless past a certain level. Not everybody will be nice and stick to the ground so they can charge them.

As others have said, there are quite a few other ways to make a FB safe that don't hurt it's ability to fight and can't be exploited by the enemy. My favorite:

100% clear by the rules ways:
-use all your Frenzy uses in the morning. You get all the goodies of the class, except for +6 str and 1 extra attack (but that's easy to duplicate by Haste).
-bump your Will save to a level where passing a DC 20 save is no longer an issue. Quite hard to do at level 6 (when you'd first enter FB, but fully doable by level 10 or so assuming you have a couple of friendly casters willing to support you.
-Make damage irrelevant for your party. There's plenty of tricks to become immune to death by HP damage.
-Provide to the FB a target that can handle him. We've used a lockdown crusader with bigger reach for that once. He'd try to keep the FB always in reach at the end of the combat, and keep him down until Frenzy ended.

Debatable stuff (aka ask your DM):
-Iron Heart Surge ending Frenzy
-Righteous Wrath works for Frenzy too

Tvtyrant
2012-07-12, 12:22 AM
Contingency: Calm Emotions perhaps? Whenever he goes off in a fit the contingency wakes him up.

sonofzeal
2012-07-12, 01:12 AM
Regarding Frenzied Berserker, it's worth discussing with your DM whether Iron Heart Surge can end Frenzy. It's not entirely clear by RAW either way, so quite a few DMs allow it.
My personal preference is simply to allow Righteous Wrath (BoED) to cover that.

kardar233
2012-07-12, 09:27 AM
The Ubercharger record (at least, the one I have a link for) is here (http://web.archive.org/web/20080214233419/forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=401662), archived from the Gleemax boards.

Really, it comes down to three things:

a) Get big static bonuses. Power Attack, high Strength+2-Handed Weapon, etc.
b) Get multipliers. Lance, Spirited Charge, Battle Jump, Valorous, Vaulting, etc.
c) Get lots of attacks. Pounce, Whirling Frenzy, etc.