PDA

View Full Version : A Tall Tail.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-07-09, 01:04 PM
So using the Pathfinder Create a Race (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/arg-creating-new-races) I made a few new races for my campaign, Now some started off with an image idea, like the Coluans (Constructs ala Brainiac 5), Some with a concept like my Aventi reboot from stormwrack, and some with just looking at a cool feature.

Hence my issue with my Atailians. I built them around one thing I saw and thought was cool. The following three abilities.Slapping Tail (3 RP)
Prerequisites: None.
Benefit: Members of this race have a tail they can use to make attacks of opportunity with a reach of 5 feet. The tail is a natural attack that deals 1d6 points of damage plus the user's Strength modifier if Small, 1d8 points of damage plus the user's Strength modifier if Medium, or 1d10 points of damage plus 1-1/2 times the user's Strength modifier if Large.
Special: If a Large creature has the reach trait, its tail also gains reach.

Tripping Tail (3 RP)
Prerequisites: Slapping tail trait.
Benefit: When a member of this race hits with its slapping tail, it can make a trip attack as a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

Prehensile Tail (2 RP)
Prerequisites: None.
Benefit: Members of this race have a long, flexible tail that can be used to carry objects. They cannot wield weapons with their tails, but they can retrieve small, stowed objects carried on their persons as a swift action. So it's a monstrous human, with no defined benefits or deficits yet. However I have no real idea what they should look like. They have al sorts of races out there, and many who have tails just for look. However I'm not sure what ones haven't ben done. But I do want them to be sort of individualistic.

TL;DR
Name some animals that have tails that have not been made into a race already please and thank you.

Randomguy
2012-07-09, 03:31 PM
Monkeys? Lemurs? Snakes? Fish? Horses/equines? Scorpions? Kangaroos? I like that last one best, since you could make them marsupial, and there aren't any marsupial humanoids (that I know of). Also, kangaroos can already balance on their tails, so this could be a sort of intelligent kangaroo with weaker leg muscles but stronger tails.

Maybe when you pick an animal, you could make the name of the race similar to part of the animal's classification? Like how those elephant people in MM2 are called Loxo's.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-07-09, 03:53 PM
Monkeys? Lemurs? Snakes? Fish? Horses/equines? Scorpions? Kangaroos? I like that last one best, since you could make them marsupial, and there aren't any marsupial humanoids (that I know of). Also, kangaroos can already balance on their tails, so this could be a sort of intelligent kangaroo with weaker leg muscles but stronger tails.

Maybe when you pick an animal, you could make the name of the race similar to part of the animal's classification? Like how those elephant people in MM2 are called Loxo's.

Monkeys are Vanara,Apes are Girallons, Both are well done. Lemur does have a touch of what I want, but I was looking for something more barbaric. Snakes are Done, Fish are Mermaids. Horses have centaurs, Scorpions have the terrifying scorpionfolk not to mention I have a race for them already. I was actually thinking Kangaroo but I went and made a different race for them. Naturals slams, bonus to balance, etc.

Honestly I was looking to Pokemon for example. Haha. They have them categorized by "Body Type" (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_body_style#Pok.C3.A9mon_with_a_ bipedal.2C_tailed_form) so I've been looking at the ones that are human shaped with a tail for inspiration, none so far.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-07-09, 05:03 PM
Why stick to mammals? Lizardfolk have already been done, but there's that. Chameleons, or maybe salamanders could work. Frogs and toads don't tend to have tails, as far as I know, but why not tadpoles?

Palanan
2012-07-09, 05:27 PM
Actually, when I first glanced at your concept, I thought of a beaver. The wide, flat tail is perfect for slapping.

As for lemurs, they don't have prehensile tails, and some don't have proper tails at all. The spider monkeys and their relatives (woolly monkeys and muriquis) do have fully prehensile tails, complete with a fingerprinted pad, and so do the capuchins.

The Dark Fiddler
2012-07-09, 06:28 PM
Actually, when I first glanced at your concept, I thought of a beaver. The wide, flat tail is perfect for slapping.

Forget what I suggested, be a beaver.

ExemplarofAvg
2012-07-09, 06:42 PM
Forget what I suggested, be a beaver.

That's all fun and games but I already have beaver-folk.
I'm now thinking along the lines of this (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mewtwo_(Pokémon)) or possibly that (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Mew_(Pokémon)) if small because it gives a muscular tail that would be able to slap/trip, and if wrapped could presumably grab as well.