PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Race: Equiran - 'Shojo Centaurs' WIP

Princess Tracy
2012-07-09, 03:56 PM
Equiran

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/087/4/0/centaur_girl_color__by_ashgutz-d4u7p19.jpg

Fluff to be finalised and added in. Crunch is slightly less WIP. Speaking of, I haven't quite decided to qualify the race as Fey, Monstrous Humanoid, or Humanoid yet, any thoughts? My initial design had them as sort of 'half-centaurs' with human blood, so a flexible +2 to one stat and teh humanoid type. The second design made them to centaurs as Aasimars are to Humans. The final design is a sort of compromise of those.

Equiran Racial Traits

+2 Charisma, +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence: Equiran are sleek and fluffy, but often instinctual or ditzy
Fey: As shojo warriors for love, what else did you expect?
Medium: Equiran are medium creatures (but see below)
Fast Speed: Equiran's draw upon the superior speed that their extra legs and the horse-like build that their lower bodies possess to easily outpace most humanoids. Their base speed is 40 feet.
Stability: The extra legs of Equiran grant them extra stability, giving them a +4 on CMD against bull rush, overrun and trip attempts.
Low-Light Vision: Equiran can see twice as far as humans in dim light.
Weapon Familiarity: Gain proficiency in short bows (including composite short bows) and lances. In addition, when weilding a lance, they are treated as mounted, allowing them to hold it in one hand and deal double damage on a charge.
Packmule Build: Due to your lower body's size, you are treated as one size category larger when calculating your encumbrance. - [questionable component, was thinking of removing or making into a racial trait]
Hooves: Equiran have hooves, obviously, two of which can be used as secondary natural attacks. These deal unarmed strike damage as if tey were one size category larger, and can both be used with other weapons as part of a full attack with a -5 attack on each hoof and only half strength to damage, as is standard.
Languages: Begins speaking Sylvan and Common. Those with high intelligence can learn Elf, Gnome, Celestial, Giant, Halfing or Draconic.

---

Like I said, VERY WIP I have some racial abilities under construction. Here's one concept...

Halo: drawing upon the power of LOVE and also their nature, Equiran can generate a halo at will that casts light as a[I] light spell. While this is active, gain a +2 to saves against illusion spells

And maybe like a +2 to handle animal or something, of speak with animals for horses only... not sure, I'll figure it out for next update.

Princess Tracy
2012-07-09, 03:57 PM
Reserved in case I learn how to organise and present things and regret not reserving posts earlier.

Waker
2012-07-09, 04:14 PM
Going by the name, is the race exclusively female? If so, you might want to explain why that is.
The idea is good so far, but I'll ask a few other questions.
Fast Speed: How fast are they? 40ft? 50ft? You'll need to specify that.
Hooves: You'll want to specify how much damage they can do with the hooves. Hooves for a large horse do 1d4 damage.

Princess Tracy
2012-07-09, 04:42 PM
Going by the name, is the race exclusively female? If so, you might want to explain why that is.
The idea is good so far, but I'll ask a few other questions.
Fast Speed: How fast are they? 40ft? 50ft? You'll need to specify that.
Hooves: You'll want to specify how much damage they can do with the hooves. Hooves for a large horse do 1d4 damage.

I couldn't remember how much hooves did so I just decided to make it based off unarmed damage. And to give the monks some love. I could have sworn i put the speed entry to 40 ft, hang on while I fix that. I'll fluff up the thing later with gender-stuff, though I didn't really decide they HAD to all be female despite the shojo tag. Shojo anime always has exotic bishonen, from my knowledge!

Waker
2012-07-09, 04:58 PM
Ok, so not all female, just pretty, got it.
Monstrous Humanoid is the type for normal centaurs, how are these different from them? As in, are they an offshoot of centaurs that mated with some fey, exposed to magical radiation, entered an elemental pact or something? Or are they an entirely separate species that just looks similar?
I understand wanting to throw them a bone. How about something like
Hooves: An Equiran may use her hooves as a natural attack that deals 1d4 damage. If the Equiran has the monk unarmed strike ability, she may use her hooves and be treated as one size category larger.

Princess Tracy
2012-07-09, 05:09 PM
Duly noted on the hooves - that's pretty much what I intended anyway, I just had a bit of a brainfart and took the lazy route out.

Well, I made the race on a whim with a specific campaign I'm in in mind, so I was going to keep it a bit vague to better fit the setting, but the idea is they are spirits of nature that embody the maho shojo pluckiness. They're one part centaur, one part aasimar and just a dash of elf is my thinking, though this draft doesn't really bring that across in retrospect. I guess the fey thing is a product of my indecisiveness, because as I said my original direction was for them to be kind of half-centaurs - like centaurs but brought into player-level power by way of human heritage, so there's a few spectres of the various drafts working against each other. The fey thing was me ducking out of a dilemna by picking a third option as one does occasionally - I had it as either humanoid or outsider (native) before. Monstrous Humanoid rubs me the wrong way (darkvision for some reason just feels wrong if nothing else) and I decided since dhampirs aren't undead or something despite their heritage, why not have it that the 'Equiran are humanoids of the Equiran suptype'? I don't know, it seemed to fit in my head.

(the dash of elf comes from the pic I found to post that had teh elf-like ears and it jsut inspired me - I have no drawing skills but I do have a habit for being very visually inspired sometimes)

Thanks for all the feedback thusfar, dude. I'm probably going t go tend to my sacred writing duties before turning in for the night, but I'll try and expand on this in the morning so you'll have something more to comment on, 'kay?

Waker
2012-07-09, 05:19 PM
My question about the type is that Humanoids have the description "A humanoid usually has two arms, two legs, and one head, or a humanlike torso, arms, and a head." so that wouldn't make too much sense for the type. Granted it does say usually, but that's mostly to account for extra stuff like a tail. Fey or Monstrous Humanoid are both fine, as is Outsider if you want to go that route. Remember also that the Darkvision is just the usual attribute added to Monstrous Humanoids, you can decide to drop it and use Low Light Vision if you want.