PDA

View Full Version : Star Control II!!!

danzibr
2012-07-09, 05:39 PM
Oh man. So I played this game like a decade ago on the 3DO and it was so awesome. I went to play it the other and found my 3DO is broken! I got to googling and found... the source code has been released! And people are making a redo of it (sort of official), called the Ur-Quan Masters (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/info.php). But wait, that's not all. There's a massive mod (http://code.google.com/p/project6014/wiki/Downloads?ts=1285884563&updated=Downloads) (well, maybe mod isn't the right word) that a bunch of people have been working on for a long time and you can even play the demo. I'm so pumped about this.

Just thought I'd share this on the slight chance there are other SCII fans out there who weren't aware.

EDIT: If you're interested in helping with the aforementioned massive mod, here's the thread to post in (http://forum.uqm.stack.nl/index.php?topic=5178.0). I have zero programming skill, but if I did, I'd be up on that.

Grif
2012-07-09, 05:44 PM
Oh man. So I played this game like a decade ago on the 3DO and it was so awesome. I went to play it the other and found my 3DO is broken! I got to googling and found... the source code has been released! And people are making a redo of it (sort of official), called the Ur-Quan Masters (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/info.php). But wait, that's not all. There's a massive mod (http://sc2.sourceforge.net/info.php) (well, maybe mod isn't the right word) that a bunch of people have been working on for a long time and you can even play the demo. I'm so pumped about this.

Just thought I'd share this on the slight chance there are other SCII fans out there who weren't aware.

You'll be hard-pressed to find anyone that isn't a fan who didn't know. :smalltongue:

danzibr
2012-07-09, 05:52 PM
You'll be hard-pressed to find anyone that isn't a fan who didn't know. :smalltongue:
Yeah... but it's been out so long I simply never thought to google Star Control. It's not the sort of thing you find without looking for it.

So anyways, you're a fan?

Grif
2012-07-09, 05:54 PM
Yeah... but it's been out so long I simply never thought to google Star Control. It's not the sort of thing you find without looking for it.

So anyways, you're a fan?

On and off. (If that is even a term.)

Did I mention I have no clue on how to use the Pkunk's Fury to this day? :smallbiggrin:

danzibr
2012-07-09, 05:59 PM
I really sucked at... to be honest, most of the ships. I had a few I used a lot, namely Spathi, Pkunk, and the flagship (totally forgot what I called it, probably something stupid). I seem to remember always timing the Utwig's shield thingy at the wrong time and losing all my energy. :smalltongue:

Douglas
2012-07-09, 06:04 PM
So, even little kids who have never heard of the game already know about the UQM project? I think you have a misplaced "not" in there.

Did I mention I have no clue on how to use the Pkunk's Fury to this day? :smallbiggrin:
Meh, it's only really good against the Sa-Matra. For that fight, just run away until you've lured all three comets far away, then zoom in and strafe with a flyby attack using the side-aimed bullets.

I had a fair bit of fun watching the AI-controlled Pkunk fight against Ilwrath, though. The AI is amazing at dancing in and out just barely beyond the Ilwrath weapon's range, pecking away until they die. I suspect they wrote a special AI just for that matchup because of how much experience the Pkunk should have defending themselves from the Ilwrath specifically.

I really sucked at... to be honest, most of the ships. I had a few I used a lot, namely Spathi, Pkunk, and the flagship (totally forgot what I called it, probably something stupid). I seem to remember always timing the Utwig's shield thingy at the wrong time and losing all my energy. :smalltongue:
It's kind of funny how effective a well-piloted Spathi is against almost everyone else, at least against the AI's "chase until dead" standard tactic. That rear-firing guided weapon combined with the speed and maneuverability to outrun almost everyone is a devastating combination. If they weren't such cowards, they'd kick everyone's ass and become the new dominant race. Of course, if they weren't such cowards they also wouldn't have designed a weapon system like that, so...

What's really fun, though, is beating Mycon podships with Arilou without ever shooting. Win entirely by guiding the Mycon shots back into them.

danzibr
2012-07-09, 06:23 PM
Black Spathi Squadron!!!

tensai_oni
2012-07-09, 07:28 PM
No one is really making Ur-Quan Masters - it's been out for years. And yes, it is a great game. The best anti-AI ship is definitely the Thraddash Torch. It only makes other players frustrated and annoyed in PvP however. Oh, and there's a reason the Utwig Juggler is considered ridiculously overpowered.

Your link for the demo is wrong, I assume you mean Project 6014? There is very little actual content of that fangame yet, but it'll be fun when it's eventually done.

danzibr
2012-07-09, 07:39 PM
No one is really making Ur-Quan Masters - it's been out for years. And yes, it is a great game. The best anti-AI ship is definitely the Thraddash Torch. It only makes other players frustrated and annoyed in PvP however. Oh, and there's a reason the Utwig Juggler is considered ridiculously overpowered.

Your link for the demo is wrong, I assume you mean Project 6014? There is very little actual content of that fangame yet, but it'll be fun when it's eventually done.
Whoops, fixed the link. Did the same thing twice, der.

Yeah, but the last update for Ur-Quan Masters came out less than a year ago, and going by the forums it seems there's still progress being made.

SanguisAevum
2012-07-10, 06:14 AM
Ahh! greetings to my fellow *Happy Campers*

danzibr
2012-07-10, 09:16 AM
Ahh Orz... I always liked messing with them. And I love their ship, but it was really hard to see which direction you'd be shooting in. Had to do some trial and error.

Anyways, has anyone tried this mod (http://www.submedia.net/uqm/)? It looks promising, but I'm having troubles with the controls. It'll be nice to play SCII modded out, like a new experience! Sort of.

Douglas
2012-07-10, 09:29 AM
With Orz, I always just rotated the gun until it pointed straight backwards and left it there for the rest of the fight.

On a completely different subject, did anyone else, way back before you got spoiled about such things, take too long and get surprised by the Kohr-ah sphere of influence suddenly starting to move after sitting perfectly still for the whole game? What did you think when it happened?

danzibr
2012-07-10, 12:04 PM
With Orz, I always just rotated the gun until it pointed straight backwards and left it there for the rest of the fight.

On a completely different subject, did anyone else, way back before you got spoiled about such things, take too long and get surprised by the Kohr-ah sphere of influence suddenly starting to move after sitting perfectly still for the whole game? What did you think when it happened?
I did! Well, kinda. The first time I watched my brother play it. Yeah, all the races got wiped out. Didn't look at the star map for a little while and then the Supox and Utwig sphere disappeared and it was like... wha?

Volatar
2012-07-10, 03:17 PM
Woah, that mod you linked in the OP looks really cool. Wonder if I can contribute to the project...

danzibr
2012-07-10, 03:51 PM
Woah, that mod you linked in the OP looks really cool. Wonder if I can contribute to the project...
Could I program in the slightest I'd totally contribute. I did however start the demo, which is totally awesome, at least so far.

danzibr
2012-07-12, 07:46 AM
Well, I'm replaying the game with a melee balance mod. Started out clearing Sol and whatnot, then ran down to the Pkunk. Now what to do? Go for the portal spawner? Decisions, decisions.

SanguisAevum
2012-07-13, 08:58 AM
Well, I'm replaying the game with a melee balance mod. Started out clearing Sol and whatnot, then ran down to the Pkunk. Now what to do? Go for the portal spawner? Decisions, decisions.

Whenever i play a run through, i cant seem to stop myself aiming to get the portal spawner as quickly as possible.

It just makes travel so much easier...

Douglas
2012-07-13, 09:29 AM
Yeah, the portal spawner is always an early priority for me.

I typically go grab the exotics from Alpha Centauri as my first trip out from Sol, though. There are two or three planets there with enormous exotics deposits, and getting all of those is a huge boost early on. It may take some saving and reloading to pull it off, but that's at least partly because I often try to get two deposits per lander trip instead of settling for just one.

Other good places to go resource hunting early are the Vulpeculae constellation (ally with the Orz, get the Taalo Shield, and loot a ton of treasure and auric worlds - load up on cargo bays for the flagship before departing), and the Sextantis constellation (a rainbow world, tons of bios, and picking on the Vux is fun). You might want to put off Sextantis until you have some of the lander upgrades, though. Speed and lifeform resistance are especially critical due to the number of dangerous bios in the constellation; fire rate and earthquake resistance are also very useful, the former for subduing said dangerous bios more easily and the latter for all the lanthanide worlds (valuable, but lots of earthquakes) that I think I remember being there, but those are significantly later in the tech list (items 7 and 8).

danzibr
2012-07-15, 06:41 PM
Mmm thanks for the input all. I ended up beating it yesterday morning, doing the same cheap-donkey stuff I did before.

Snatch Portal Spawner ASAP, hop near Slylandro, stop probe business, drop by rainbow world after rainbow world until out of fuel, return to Sol, get the rest of the rainbow worlds. Now you can get all the technology and history you want from the Melnorme. Picked up Burvix Caster and eggshells, go to Druuge with 16x 100 fuel thingies, trade a shell for fuel, profit.

In other news, I played the demo of Project 6014. Oh man, so exciting. I also found a file on google docs with their plan for the plot, read it a bit then forced myself to stop due to spoilers. So exciting.

danzibr
2012-07-17, 04:03 PM
I put a link to the page regarding programming/art help with the unofficial sequel, if anyone's willing and able.