PDA

View Full Version : Beastlands transformation into animals

Madeiner
2012-07-09, 08:02 PM
Hi there.
I am currently DMing a planescape campaign which is soon to be directed to the beastlands.
I read that visitors coming to the beastlands are transformed into animals while on the plane.
So i am creating a little mini adventure where the players are transformed into "magical" animals.

I am trying to design the adventure around the characters that i am creating.
What i would like: a short (3-hours of less) tactical based adventure centered around small animals trying to open a portal to leave the beastlands.

I am still using Pathfinder as a system, but i am creating a little system just for this scope.
Each animals will have 3 abilities, usable at will (maybe with a cooldown), plus an "ultimate" ability, more powerful, usable only once, plus one time for each "boss" battle.
After each combat/scene solved, everyone gains a "point" that can be used to increase an ability.
This is loosely based on the "MOBA" games (see League of legends)

I'd like to have some suggestions about abilities/animals that i could use.
I'd also like comments, ideas, or even to know if you think this is fun or not.
Note that all abilities have no save.

Here are the animals i have come up with:

Hedgehog, the tank. (pretty much complete)
1: Powerball: the hedgehog curls and charges an enemy, increasing speed for the charge. Inflicts damage and taunts the enemy to attack the hedgehog for 1 round.
2: Defensive curl: the hedgehog assumes a defensive posture, increasing AC. Returns damage when hit.
3: Spines: the hedgehog can launch its spines, delivering an area attack around himself.
SPECIAL 4: (swift action) The hedgehog taunts all enemies around him for 1 round. The next round, he deals 1 damage to all targets around himself for each 4 damage suffered.

Skunk, the "mage"
1: Bad odor: the skunk can create a poison-like effect at its location, dealing 1 damage. The next round, the odor deals much more damage to targets in the square (this probably will require a taunt from the hedgehog to be effective)
2: Fear gas: the skunk can produce a maledorant gas that will make the one target flee from the skunk for 1 round.
3: Delayed blast smell: the skunk produces an odor that will only become lethal after 2 rounds. The odor remains for 5 rounds, and the skunk can only have in place maximum 2 "smells" at a time. Anyone that enters the smelling square after the 2 rounds have passed receives damage and his movement speed his reduced to 1/4. However, if the square is disturbed before the gas has become lethal, the gas fades away harmlessy. The gas is invisible.
SPECIAL 4: Incendiary gas: the skunk emits a very powerful gas that can be set on fire. If set on fire, it deals more damage.

Hawk, the damagedealer/utility
1: Swoop down: the hawk swoops down from the sky, dealing damage, then climbing back in the air.
2: Twin Songs: the hawk can produce a special tune that alternates the effect each time it is cast. Effect1: all creatures (even enemies) except in range expect the hawk gain Haste, can use an extra ability as a move action, and all healing effects are tripled for 1 round. Effect2: all creatures (even enemies) in range are Slowed, abilities have a 50% chance of failing, and healing effects are 1/3 as effective.
3: Healing winds: the hawk creates a gust of wind, healing all allies in range.
SPECIAL 4:Assault: the hawk attacks an enemy incessantly for 1 full round, dealing damage and preventing the enemy from using any ability.

Chamaleon, the rogue
1: Invisible attacl: the chamaleon is camouflaged for 1 round. Enemies ignore him while chamouflaged. If during the round the chamaleon is granted an Attack of opportunity, he can hit the enemy for much damage.
2:
3:
SPECIAL 4:

That is all that i have thought. I am not really sure about the chamaleon. Maybe it can be substituted for something else, maybe a digging-type animals that can hide underground and attack. Or an amphibious type. Not really sure.

Im going for tactical combat so if you can suggest something more tactical i'd appreciate it.
I still need some ability to set enemies on fire to combo with the skunk.
I'd also like something for moving enemies around.

The final boss battle will be against similar animals. For example, there will be a healer type that is protected by a tank type.
To defeat the tank, the hawk could for example use Song to shut the enemy healer and kill the tank, using Song again to cast more powerful heals once the enemy healer is down.

The hawk can use its special ability to shut down the healer, or protect an ally that is dying.

The skunk can do the same with his fear gas, but needs enemies that stand still (taunted for example) to really do damage.

The hedgehog can taunt things and protect allies, and is the most durable of all.

The chamaleon also needs someone to trigger attack of opportunity to deal most damage, like the skunk's fear, or maybe the hedgehog can taunt and run to trigger an AoO.

Do you have any ideas for some abilities to be used with the chamaleon, or for some new animals?
Can you suggest some fun encounters/scenarios?

begooler
2012-07-11, 10:05 AM
Instead of a chameleon, maybe the rogue could be a spider or a snake. They get camouflage and also have poison and sneak attacks.

If you stick with chameleon, maybe give it a ranged tongue attack that gets precision damage if it hides for one round first.