PDA

View Full Version : Free Action Wand Use

White_Drake
2012-07-09, 11:53 PM
I was hoping to get a Spell Storing weapon with a wand chamber containing a wand of Vampiric Touch so I could keep my Shock Dragoon barbarian from dying a horrible death due to his nil AC. Only trouble is that I'd rather not waste a standard action to use a wand, and I don't know of ways to get free/swift action wand usage. Any ideas?

Gwendol
2012-07-10, 12:01 AM
You pay more gold to account for the fact that a quickened spell occupies a higher spell slot?

VGLordR2
2012-07-10, 12:13 AM
You pay more gold to account for the fact that a quickened spell occupies a higher spell slot?

I'm not sure how metamagic works with the rule stating that wands cannot have a greater spell level than four.

Tebryn
2012-07-10, 12:17 AM
They become epic wands.

Yukitsu
2012-07-10, 12:23 AM
I was hoping to get a Spell Storing weapon with a wand chamber containing a wand of Vampiric Touch so I could keep my Shock Dragoon barbarian from dying a horrible death due to his nil AC. Only trouble is that I'd rather not waste a standard action to use a wand, and I don't know of ways to get free/swift action wand usage. Any ideas?

There's an item called a metamagic wand grip that grants you the ability to spend more charges to meta the wand's effects. If you take something to qualify for quicken spell, you can use that.

Darrin
2012-07-10, 06:38 AM

Some ideas:

1) Use a Rage variant that doesn't muck around with your Con score, giving you the illusion of "extra HP" that go away after the combat/rage ends. I prefer Whirling Frenzy (Unearthed Arcana), but there's also Ferocity from the Cityscape Web Enhancements.

2) If all you want in the spell storing weapon is vampiric touch, then consider the Bloodstone property for a free Empowered vampiric touch.

3) Actually, ditch the spell storing weapon for a Wrathful Healing weapon. Never heard of it? That's because it's tucked into an obscure 3.0 sourcebook, "Enemies & Allies". +3 enhancement, for X damage, heal back X/2 HP.

4) Consider replacing the wand of vampiric touch with a wand of close wounds: immediate action to heal 1d4+3 HP.

5) Ruin delver's fortune is another immediate action spell that can get you 4d8 temp HP. Stalwart pact can be cast before the battle, and automatically gives you up to +35 temp HP (plus some other buffs) once you go below half your total.

6) Actually, what you really need are Glyph Seals (1000 GP, MIC), maybe a dozen or so. Use Sanctum Spell to drop the spell level to 2nd, then cast vampiric touch into the Glyph Seals and attach them to your weapon with the trigger "touching any creature that isn't me". Hit an enemy with your weapon, and the Glyph Seal triggers automatically (no action). If you need more, attach the Glyph Seals to your pockets and make sure you store spell components or ammunition in those pockets (free action to draw), so every time you open/touch that pocket, it triggers a spell.

Acathala
2012-07-10, 07:10 AM
Altenatively if FR materiial is allowed, Scepters from Lost Empires of Faerun might be your bag. They are basically more wands that not only hold a higher level of spell, but two spells.

gbprime
2012-07-10, 09:16 AM
If you need more, attach the Glyph Seals to your pockets and make sure you store spell components or ammunition in those pockets (free action to draw), so every time you open/touch that pocket, it triggers a spell.

Hmm.... where are my keys?
<searches pockets>
BOOMboomBOOMBOOM... popfizzle

Dang it.

:smallamused:

eggs
2012-07-10, 12:30 PM
One option is the Graft Weapon power. It turns the weapon into a natural attack which can be used to deliver spells and powers. So for a standard action, you could use Vampiric Touch and make one melee attack.

A command thought 1/day item of Graft Weapon should be somewhere in the ballpark of 5,400 gp (unless it's ruled to be way out of line with the price tag, which it really shouldn't be), or a full Dorje should cost 11,250 gp (but 50 uses is probably way more than you'll need).

nedz
2012-07-10, 07:24 PM
Auto-resetting Trap of Vampiric Touch, just put it in your boot or something.

Tvtyrant
2012-07-10, 07:25 PM
There is an Eberron feat from the prophecy line that turns all wand uses into a swift action with no charge (ha!). Artifex or something.

Curmudgeon
2012-07-10, 08:25 PM
There is an Eberron feat from the prophecy line that turns all wand uses into a swift action with no charge (ha!). Artifex or something.
No, that's not right. Prophecy's Artifex only applies to wands you personally created. And you first need to activate Dragon Prophesier (a full-round action to start, lasts for only a few rounds, and has daily use limits).

Tvtyrant
2012-07-10, 09:05 PM
No, that's not right. Prophecy's Artifex only applies to wands you personally created. And you first need to activate Dragon Prophesier (a full-round action to start, lasts for only a few rounds, and has daily use limits).

I concede the first, but it's 3+1/2 your Knowledge(arcana) ranks. You can easily boost that up to 13 rounds. Using it on the first round of combat in a battle that is going to last a while isn't terribly suboptimal IMO.