PDA

View Full Version : The Spellstitched template.

AquilaRift
2012-07-10, 12:41 AM
As written, the Spellstitched template confers a meager +1 challenge rating on any corporeal undead creature it's attached to. Should this be higher? I ask for the Playground's opinion because
a) the Monster Manual II, which it comes from, is notorious for under-CRed foes;
b) arcane spellcasters are worryingly powerful at the best of times, and handing arcane spells (even school-restricted) to undead based on Wis scores seems off balance;
c) the group I'm planning on throwing spellstitched undead at is not especially optimized.

Rejakor
2012-07-10, 02:26 AM
It essentially bolts half a wizard to the side of the creature.

Since wizard is a tier 1 class, well.

Let's just say that it depends on what spells the spellstitched creature has access to.

Worse, it bases what levels those spells are not on HD, but on Wis score. A level 1 necropolitan cleric can get the casting of a 9th level wizard, which is.. worrying at best.

The spells it gives should be based on HD, and the CR increase should be based on HD as well, something like +1 per 3 or something.

GreenSerpent
2012-07-10, 01:52 PM
Spellstitched was updated in Libris Mortis one of the 3.5 books, wasn't it?

phlidwsn
2012-07-10, 02:10 PM
Spellstitched was updated in Libris Mortis one of the 3.5 books, wasn't it?

Complete Arcane, pg 161

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-10, 04:49 PM
Worse, it bases what levels those spells are not on HD, but on Wis score. A level 1 necropolitan cleric can get the casting of a 9th level wizard, which is.. worrying at best.

The spells it gives should be based on HD, and the CR increase should be based on HD as well, something like +1 per 3 or something.

No... they don't. Spellstiched was updated in CAr, so now they only receive some SLAs, up to sixth level MAX, limited to 3/4 schools.

drack
2012-07-10, 04:52 PM
I'd say most worrying about it is getting a huge skeleton, and fitting it on there because with CL by HD, and undead HD being huge this gets silly quickly. :smallbiggrin:
Edit: before someone comments yes I know you need to give them wisdom first, but low level spells with effects based on CL commonly lack the level 20 cap...

umbergod
2012-07-10, 10:21 PM
No... they don't. Spellstiched was updated in CAr, so now they only receive some SLAs, up to sixth level MAX, limited to 3/4 schools.

a 9th level wizard casts 5th level spells, so what you quoted and bolded is still valid :P

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-10, 10:26 PM
a 9th level wizard casts 5th level spells, so what you quoted and bolded is still valid :P

...Sorry, brain fart. I read that as getting access to 9th level spells, gods know why.

umbergod
2012-07-10, 10:29 PM
...Sorry, brain fart. I read that as getting access to 9th level spells, gods know why.

no worries :) I did too at first, and contemplated the horror of undead with 9th level SLAs

Rejakor
2012-07-10, 11:50 PM
Damn, swordsaged. And I was going to be so cutting, too.

It's worth noting that one of the schools available for spell choice is freakin' conjuration, so yeah, non trivial. If you have a gravetouched ghoul cleric BBEG using spellstitching to cast enervation, or buffing his undead minions with some Conj spell, it's not a huge deal.

But if you have a 4th level party looking down the barrel of a Solid Fog + Vortex of Teeth combo, twice, from two 1st level spellstitched haunt shifted necropolitan clerics, that's a bit off, CR wise.