PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Gunslinger Archetype (Ranger Hybrid) - The Hunstman

King Tius
2012-07-10, 08:17 AM
The goal of this archetype is to give the gunslinger an animal companion and some tracking abilities similar to a ranger. It is designed to work with the Musket Master (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger/archetypes/paizo---gunslinger-archetypes/musket-master) archetype. The aimis to have a character that can track prey and function much like a ranger can while still having a focus in firearms (and without all the favored terrain and spell nonsense). Here's what I have so far:

Since the Musket Master already replaces gun training, this archetype will replace the Gunslinger's bonus feats. This jives well with the ranger getting his animal companion at level 4.

My real question is about power. I'd like to add Track and Wild Empathy in there as well. Neither is particularly game breaking, especially with regards to combat.

Do you think the animal companion + these other abilities is enough of a replacement for the 5 bonus feats? Is it too much? Not enough? This archetype would work well for someone who wants to play a duck hunter or other consummate outdoorsman with an animal sidekick but would also work great with Musket Master to basically give you the Hunter from World of Warcraft. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Substituting Nimble (all levels) for: Track, Wild Empathy, Endurance, Woodland Stride, Evasion, Swift Tracker, and Improved Evasion.

King Tius
2012-07-10, 09:44 AM
Another potential option I can see is to take this Elven Arche (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/open-design/elven-archer)r alternate class, strip out the spells, and add the animal companion. It wouldn't be focused on guns expressly, but could have a similar flavor for everything else.

stack
2012-07-10, 12:22 PM
Nimble would work. You can trade that out for a series of wilderness skills without losing much.

I like the idea overall.

King Tius
2012-07-10, 12:45 PM
See, I really liked Nimble. Plus, once you get into the mid level wilderness abilities, they only apply to the ranger's favored terrains. I'll toss in Endurance, Woodland Stride, Evasion, Swift Tracker, and Improved Evasion. I think those will make it worth giving up the +5 to AC.

stack
2012-07-10, 01:39 PM
Sounds reasonable. Maybe write it out more formally?

King Tius
2012-07-10, 03:45 PM
Yeah, I will eventually. I should add Knowledge Nature and Geography to his skills, too.

Swap Knowledge (Dungeoneering) for Knowledge (Nature)

King Tius
2012-07-10, 09:22 PM
Upon further consideration, I think taking out the bonus feats will hinder this class, especially since it isn't a spellcaster. Instead of getting rid of those, I'll take out the Nimbles and add the following:

Track, Wild Empathy, Hunter's Bond, Woodland Stride, Swift Tracker, Quarry, Improved Quarry.

Granted, Some of these are introduced a little earlier than on the Ranger list, but I wanted to make sure the class was getting something at every level. Here it is all combine:

{table=head]Level|Abilities
1st|Deeds, Grit, Gunsmith(musket), Rapid Reload(Musket)
2nd|*Track(1st), *Wild Empathy(1st)
3rd|Deeds
4th|Bonus Feat, *Hunter's Bond (4th)
5th|Musket Training
6th|*Woodland Stride(7th)
7th|Deeds
8th|Bonus Feat
9th|Musket Training
10th|*Swift Tracker(8th)
11th|Deeds
12th|Bonus Feat
13th|Musket Training
14th|*Quarry(11th)
15th|Deeds
16th|Bonus Feat
17th|Musket Training
18th|*Improved Quarry(19th)
19th|Deeds
20th|Bonus Feat, True Grit
[/table]

* = ranger abilities added. () = equivalent ranger level

Skills: Swap Knowledge (Dungeoneering) for Knowledge (Nature)

stack
2012-07-11, 08:08 AM
I like it. Makes a reasonable choice in place of multi-classing between gunslinger and ranger.

King Tius
2012-07-11, 09:41 AM
For future reference, when I get around to writing this guide up, I will use this picture.

http://images.wikia.com/wowwiki/images/d/d3/DwarfHunter.jpg