PDA

View Full Version : help with ranger/monk prestige class

nakedonmyfoldin
2012-07-10, 09:16 AM
So a player of mine has a low level ranger, and he's become infatuated with the monk class. So I want to do something to either create a hybrid class or a prestige class that gives him a few abilities from each. Magic is a low priority.
I figured something like a nomad or wanderer, but that doesn't sound enticing. Basically some kind of class that takes solace in and gains power through nature.
Thanks!

Diovid
2012-07-10, 09:42 AM
What abilities exactly does the player want?

Fist of the Forest is a nice monk-like prc, but it's only 3 levels long. The Superior Unarmed Strike feat can also give the character unarmed strike progression without monk levels. Items such as the Gaunlets of the Talon, Monk's Belt, Monk's tattoo and Necklace of Natural Attacks are likewise a good idea.

Perhaps the player could go for something like ranger 6 / fist of the forest 3 / beastmaster 1 / animal lord 10? Picking bear as the character's totem and taking the natural bond feat.

Randomguy
2012-07-10, 09:49 AM
Just point him to the Aescetic Hunter feat, from complete adventurer. It lets him stack his ranger and monk levels for unarmed damage and gives some other bonuses. Ranger 18/Monk 2, or Ranger 15/Monk 2/Fist of the Forest 3 isn't a terrible build. Oh, and he could TWF with his quarterstaff in 2 hands and unarmed strikes.

You don't need a class that "takes solace in and gains power through nature." You could just refluff something that way. With the right fluff, that could be a ranger, a barbarian, a druid or a cleric of Obad-Hai, to name a few examples.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-07-10, 09:51 AM
Shou disciple (Unaproachable East) is a 5 level prestige class that gives: full bab, unarmed damage progression 2 (IIRC) bonus feats, and the ability to flurry with martial weapons. A perfect wat to pick up monk abilities without spending too many resources.