PDA

View Full Version : Character design rate and critique

Ramshack
2012-07-10, 09:48 AM
Im trying to reate a solid battle field controller. Here is the catch. No magic! No arcane divine or magic items or super natural abilities. Prestige classes are available as long as they offer strictly martial benefits. Tome of battle not allowed and neither are flaws. My DM frowns on the spiked chain too lol

Private
2012-07-10, 09:55 AM
Your best bet would be a Tripper.

Like this. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415)

I suggest changing to a spiked chain if other books are allowed, but you get the gist.

Mayito
2012-07-10, 10:08 AM
If pathfinder is allowed then do a maneuver master monk with panther style you are running around the entire battlefield laying down combat maneuvers left and right. If you spec right you can even do dirty tricks as melee attacks, dirty trick let's you add pretty much any of the minor status effects for a short duration explained by doing dirty tricks, blind? Throw sand in their eyes, entangle? Pull their pants down, sickened? Fart the remnants of your triple bean burrito right in their nostrils. Without the right feats though it only lasts one round, takes you a standard action while they can spend a move to get rid of it.

Ramshack
2012-07-10, 11:15 PM
Here is what I came up with. The focus is on Battlefield control and while I realize this would be made better with a spike chain, the DM does not appreciate them much in his campaign.

Race Human:
Level 2 Monk, 18 Fighter
Weapon Guisarme
Final BAB of 19

Level 01 Monk: Jotunbrud, Combat Expertise, Improved Grapple, Unarmed Strike
Level 02 Monk: Combat Reflexes, Evasion, Fast Movement
Level 03 Fighter: Improved Trip, Improved Bull Rush
Level 04 Fighter: Power Attack
Level 05 Fighter:
Level 06 Fighter: Knock Down, Stand Still
Level 07 Fighter:
Level 08 Fighter: Shock Trooper
Level 09 Fighter: Knock Back
Level 10 Fighter: Hold the Line (or something better?)
Level 11 Fighter:
Level 12 Fighter: Dodge, Mobility
Level 13 Fighter:
Level 14 Fighter: Side Step
Level 15 Fighter: Robilar's Gambit
Level 16 Fighter: Deft Opportunist
Level 17 Fighter:
Level 18 Fighter: Defensive Sweep, Overpowering Attack
Level 19 Fighter:
Level 20 Fighter: (Open Feat)

With a Guisarme I don't threaten at 5' I feel like Unarmed Strike allows me to kick people away and threaten that square now.

By Combining Knock Down and Knock Back (combined with Shock Trooper) I can keep people away or on the ground.

Hold the line Could probably be replaced with something better. Thoughts?

I took Robilar's Gambit over Karmic Strike because I get the AoO whether the opponent misses or hits unlike Karmic Strike.

I miss Weapon Focus, Weapon Spec, and their superiors but I feel utility and control was more important over damage. Additionally Most attacks will be AoO which get +4 with Deft Opportunist.

I would Love some Thoughts, Opinions and Critiques. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks again!

VGLordR2
2012-07-10, 11:20 PM
If you pick Dvati as your race, you can effectively double your tripping area.

Siosilvar
2012-07-10, 11:25 PM
With a Halberd I don't threaten at 5'

Yes you do. Halberds are one of the few polearms that don't have reach.

Glaive + Armor Spikes is the traditional response to "I can't use a spiked chain", but Glaive + Monk level(s) should work too.

Ramshack
2012-07-10, 11:32 PM
Yes you do. Halberds are one of the few polearms that don't have reach.

Glaive + Armor Spikes is the traditional response to "I can't use a spiked chain", but Glaive + Monk level(s) should work too.

Ah that's my Mistake, though I just checked the PHB and it states Glaives cannot be used to trip. So a Guisarme looks like the next best choice. Though it loses the double damage against chargers. Which makes Hold the line less appealing. Wouldn't I get an AoO as they charged into my threatened area regardless?

Is there any suggestions for something better. Weapon Focus could fit. Or Close Quarters Combat for added defense against Grappelers? Improved Buckler Defense could also work well. We house rule they can be used with 2h

eggs
2012-07-11, 12:54 AM
How are you qualifying for Combat Brute?

If you have two feats free on a Knockback Fighter build, the Dungeoncrasher ACF seems like an obvious suggestion.

On Hold the Line, it can be redundant with a reach weapon, but it's still moderately useful against large enemies or other polearm-users. But Steadfast Boots from Magic Item Compendium basically cover that in the same way a Glaive would, and provide some other fairly useful benefits at a very low price tag.

And on that topic, gear's usually where fighter builds get interesting.
For another suggestion on that front, I'd consider a Shadow Cloak from Drow of the Underdark (same basic function as sidestep, limited daily uses, fairly low price).

EDIT:
You also have the prerequisites for Karmic Strike. If you can use it with for Robilar's Gambit to smack attackers twice for every attack they make, it can definitely be worth a feat if you can sneak it in.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-07-11, 01:43 AM
Half-Minotaur + Half-Orc
LA Buyoff
Half-Orc Paragon 1/ Fighter 5/ Exotic Weapon Master 1/ Fighter 13
Zhentarim Soldier sub levels, Dungeoncrasher, Physical Prowess
Iron Will and Menacing Demeanor via the Otyugh Hole
Max ranks in Intimidate, Never Outnumbered skill trick, Skilled City Dweller for Tumble
Masterwork Spiked Chain, Masterwork Armor

1. Half-Orc Paragon 1, Combat Reflexes, Track
2. Fighter 1, EWP: Spiked Chain
3. Fighter 2, Combat Expertise, Dungeoncrasher
4. Fighter 3, Zhentarim Soldier: Skill Focus: Intimidate
5. Fighter 4, Weapon Focus: Spiked Chain
6. Fighter 5, Imperious Command, Zhentarim Soldier
7. Exotic Weapon Master 1, Trip Attack exotic weapon trick
8. Fighter 6, Dungeoncrasher
9. Fighter 7, Improved Trip
10. Fighter 8, Power Attack
11. Fighter 9, Zhentarim Soldier
12. Fighter 10, Improved Bull Rush, Knock-Back
13. Fighter 11
14. Fighter 12, Weapon Specialization: Spiked Chain
15. Fighter 13, Knock-Down
16. Fighter 14, Melee Weapon Mastery
17. Fighter 15
18. Fighter 16, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization
19. Fighter 17
20. Fighter 18, Weapon Supremacy: Spiked Chain

Two Long Arm grafts (+5 ft. reach), the feat Graft Flesh (LoM) only has Heal ranks as a prerequisite, there is absolutely nothing magical about this graft in both its creation/application and the end result. If possible, also include Feathered Wings graft (requires the creator to cast Fly) and Healing Blood graft (requires the creator to cast Regenerate), both of which become nonmagical extensions of the character once applied.

Ramshack
2012-07-11, 08:32 AM
How are you qualifying for Combat Brute?

If you have two feats free on a Knockback Fighter build, the Dungeoncrasher ACF seems like an obvious suggestion.

On Hold the Line, it can be redundant with a reach weapon, but it's still moderately useful against large enemies or other polearm-users. But Steadfast Boots from Magic Item Compendium basically cover that in the same way a Glaive would, and provide some other fairly useful benefits at a very low price tag.

And on that topic, gear's usually where fighter builds get interesting.
For another suggestion on that front, I'd consider a Shadow Cloak from Drow of the Underdark (same basic function as sidestep, limited daily uses, fairly low price).

EDIT:
You also have the prerequisites for Karmic Strike. If you can use it with for Robilar's Gambit to smack attackers twice for every attack they make, it can definitely be worth a feat if you can sneak it in.

Sorry I meant Shock Trooper. For directed Bull Rush Attempts, and knocking opponents into one another. I had the two feats confused.

I'm also unsure if the steadfast boots or Shadow Cloak would be considered magical items and therefore not available.

And while I would love to stack Karmic Strike and Robilars gambit my DM ruled that the same action cannot provoke two attacks of opportunity and therefore it's one or the other

Ramshack
2012-07-11, 08:34 AM
Half-Minotaur + Half-Orc
LA Buyoff
Half-Orc Paragon 1/ Fighter 5/ Exotic Weapon Master 1/ Fighter 13
Zhentarim Soldier sub levels, Dungeoncrasher, Physical Prowess
Iron Will and Menacing Demeanor via the Otyugh Hole
Max ranks in Intimidate, Never Outnumbered skill trick, Skilled City Dweller for Tumble
Masterwork Spiked Chain, Masterwork Armor

1. Half-Orc Paragon 1, Combat Reflexes, Track
2. Fighter 1, EWP: Spiked Chain
3. Fighter 2, Combat Expertise, Dungeoncrasher
4. Fighter 3, Zhentarim Soldier: Skill Focus: Intimidate
5. Fighter 4, Weapon Focus: Spiked Chain
6. Fighter 5, Imperious Command, Zhentarim Soldier
7. Exotic Weapon Master 1, Trip Attack exotic weapon trick
8. Fighter 6, Dungeoncrasher
9. Fighter 7, Improved Trip
10. Fighter 8, Power Attack
11. Fighter 9, Zhentarim Soldier
12. Fighter 10, Improved Bull Rush, Knock-Back
13. Fighter 11
14. Fighter 12, Weapon Specialization: Spiked Chain
15. Fighter 13, Knock-Down
16. Fighter 14, Melee Weapon Mastery
17. Fighter 15
18. Fighter 16, Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization
19. Fighter 17
20. Fighter 18, Weapon Supremacy: Spiked Chain

Two Long Arm grafts (+5 ft. reach), the feat Graft Flesh (LoM) only has Heal ranks as a prerequisite, there is absolutely nothing magical about this graft in both its creation/application and the end result. If possible, also include Feathered Wings graft (requires the creator to cast Fly) and Healing Blood graft (requires the creator to cast Regenerate), both of which become nonmagical extensions of the character once applied.

Hmm Great build I'll have to consider it. Though the DM has already shown his disdain for the Spiked Chain and I'm not sure the skin grafts are against the spirit of his non magic campaign lol. I'll check it out though. Thank you for the input!