PDA

View Full Version : Advice on building a planar shepherd.

Michellus
2012-07-10, 10:06 AM
Hello everyone. Recently my 19th level cleric/Radiant servant/sacred exorcist died in our campaign and ressurecting does not seem to be an option. Which is okay because i had a good talk with my dm and we were planning this from the beginning.

After much thought i have asked my DM if i could play a planar shepherd. And got the go signal. Our party is semi if not optimized. And ive been trying to come up with something that can also rock some boats.

We havent received XP since our last session which might level us up. So ive been building lvl 19 but that could change to 20.

I have access to all books except tome of battle and psionics.

Here is what ive come up with so far.

Human.

Druid 5/Planar Shepherd 10/?

Been thinking about maybe just going druid 10/planar shepherd 10 but i was wondering if you guys knew any good options other than that.

Stat wise i got.

Str 12
Dex 14
Con 15
Int 14
Wis 16
Cha 13

But im kinda stuck at feats and the last 4-5 levels on what to pick. And how to boost my wildshaping abilities.

By my calculations i should have 8 feats to spend. Minus one for the Greensinger intiate or the initiate of nightbringer.

Ive been looking at the forum and came across the Wildshape Amulet and the Skin of Kaletor (not quite sure which book these are in though. Does anyone know the source?)

My main problem is feats and having more money than i know how to spend. Because druid 10/Planar shepherd 10 seems like a pretty solid choice by itself already.

I quite like the idea of being able to turn into a Marilith with a gazillion hd going all meatgrinder on things.

Any advice would be greatly appretiateed.

Invader
2012-07-10, 10:38 AM
Hello everyone. Recently my 19th level cleric/Radiant servant/sacred exorcist died in our campaign and ressurecting does not seem to be an option. Which is okay because i had a good talk with my dm and we were planning this from the beginning.

After much thought i have asked my DM if i could play a planar shepherd. And got the go signal. Our party is semi if not optimized. And ive been trying to come up with something that can also rock some boats.

We havent received XP since our last session which might level us up. So ive been building lvl 19 but that could change to 20.

I have access to all books except tome of battle and psionics.

Here is what ive come up with so far.

Human.

Druid 5/Planar Shepherd 10/?

Been thinking about maybe just going druid 10/planar shepherd 10 but i was wondering if you guys knew any good options other than that.

Stat wise i got.

Str 12
Dex 14
Con 15
Int 14
Wis 16
Cha 13

But im kinda stuck at feats and the last 4-5 levels on what to pick. And how to boost my wildshaping abilities.

By my calculations i should have 8 feats to spend. Minus one for the Greensinger intiate or the initiate of nightbringer.

Ive been looking at the forum and came across the Wildshape Amulet and the Skin of Kaletor (not quite sure which book these are in though. Does anyone know the source?)

My main problem is feats and having more money than i know how to spend. Because druid 10/Planar shepherd 10 seems like a pretty solid choice by itself already.

I quite like the idea of being able to turn into a Marilith with a gazillion hd going all meatgrinder on things.

Any advice would be greatly appretiateed.

The amulet is in Magic of Faerun IIRC and the skin of the kaletor is in dragon magazine. Also take a wis and con +6 item to keep it simple and you can call it a day really.

For Feats:
Natural Spell
Dragon Wildshape
assume supernatural ability
Abberant blood
Abberant wildshape
Theres nothing else you really need overly much IMO.

Take Lamania for extend on all your Druid spells and have the enhance wildshape spell handy

Randomguy
2012-07-10, 10:39 AM
Druid 10/Planar shepard 10 is just about the best build you could get.

Just pick up natural spell and use the other feats on whatever seems most fun.

You're wild shaping's good enough as it is. Some feats to make it better are Aberrant Wild Shape (Lords of madness, has a prerequisite), Dragon wild shape ( the nonepic one in Draconomicon) and Assume Supernatural Ability, but you might not need it. At these high levels, it isn't hard to have Shapechange active 24/7, so wild shape doesn't really matter at much.

Use your magic items to boost your wisdom as high as you can. You might also want a Tome of Clear Thought, for extra skill points.

For 24/7 shapechange get a greater metamagic rod of Extend spell and a pear of power or 2 for 9th level spells.

Get wilding clasps to make magic items work while you're wildshaped. Make your primary magic weapon a Mouthpick weapon (it's a +2 enchant in Lords of Madness) so that you can use it while you're turned into a bear.

If you take Draconic Wildshape or just shapechange into dragons a lot, then you might want to pick out a few Metabreath feats. Heighten breath is a bit of a low blow, though.