PDA

View Full Version : wizard spellbook help

Gamer91919
2012-07-10, 04:18 PM
Hi everyone,
I have been looking for an item for my new wizard. I remember seeing it some months back, its a spell book equivalent that surrounds the wizard with floating glowing runes (or something). I would like this for thematic reasons but cant find it in any of my books. (I am starting to think it may have something to do with a monster class but cannot confirm)

Also this is my first wizard and I would appreciate any tips for protecting my spell book, and reducing my uselessness if I am captured/detained. (I will be doing some shady scoundrely stuff with a lvl or 2 of rogue).

Thank you in advance for your help!

gorfnab
2012-07-10, 04:33 PM
Sounds like a mix of Geometer (CArc) and Illumian (RoD). Actually you could just fluff an Illumian Eidetic Spellcaster Wizard ACF (Dragon Magazine #357) to instead of keeping his spellbook in his mind to having his spellbook float around him like the rest of his sigils.

HunterOfJello
2012-07-10, 05:05 PM
the Runesmith PrC is for Dwarf spellcasters who want to be able to cast arcane spells while decked out in full armor. it's pretty cool

TuggyNE
2012-07-10, 05:51 PM
Actually you could just fluff an Illumian Eidetic Spellcaster Wizard ACF (Dragon Magazine #357) to instead of keeping his spellbook in his mind to having his spellbook float around him like the rest of his sigils.

This is what I thought of. Also, it's pretty cool. :smallcool:

JeminiZero
2012-07-10, 07:17 PM
Also this is my first wizard and I would appreciate any tips for protecting my spell book, and reducing my uselessness if I am captured/detained. (I will be doing some shady scoundrely stuff with a lvl or 2 of rogue).

If Eidetic Spellcaster is not permitted, there is also the option of tattooing spellbook pages on yourself (Complete Arcane 186). There is limited space though, so you should place at most 1 spell of each spell level (to leave space for future stuff). If you don't have eschew materials, your level 1 spell should also be Summon Component (Complete Mage pg 118).

Kelb_Panthera
2012-07-10, 07:40 PM
If Eidetic Spellcaster is not permitted, there is also the option of tattooing spellbook pages on yourself (Complete Arcane 186). There is limited space though, so you should place at most 1 spell of each spell level (to leave space for future stuff). If you don't have eschew materials, your level 1 spell should also be Summon Component (Complete Mage pg 118).

Same book has the Geometer PrC. If you get your spells tatt'ed onto you by one, they only take one page-equivalent per spell. Though, you will have to make a one-time spellcraft check to learn to read them. Unless of course you want to take two levels in geometer.

Darrin
2012-07-11, 06:57 AM
Hi everyone,
I have been looking for an item for my new wizard. I remember seeing it some months back, its a spell book equivalent that surrounds the wizard with floating glowing runes (or something).

Necklace of the Phantom Library. Eberron Explorer's Handbook p. 152. Expensive, though: 15000 GP.

Also this is my first wizard and I would appreciate any tips for protecting my spell book, and reducing my uselessness if I am captured/detained.

Most DMs tend to leave spellbooks alone, as most wizard players consider it a breach of RPG etiquette and a violation of trust to intentionally invalidate a character's entire purpose and ability to influence the world around him. If your DM does go after your spellbook... there's very little you can do to stop him if he's determined to make your wizard suck.

That being said, there are rules for making your spellbook sturdier in Complete Arcane (p. 140). Generally what you need to watch out for is rolling a "1" on a saving throw, particularly against energy damage/area effects like fireball or cone of cold. The DM picks four items most likely affected from a table and then randomly selects one, and the object has to make a saving throw or take the same damage you did. If your spellbook is safely stowed in a backpack or pouch, it should be fine.

If you have unlimited funds, make your spellbook cover out of riverine (Stormwrack p. 128), which is immune to pretty much everything except disintegrate and disjunction (6000 GP for a 3 lb spellbook). Make the pages out of aurorum (Book of Exalted Deeds p. 38), and the pages can be put back together even when sundered (500-4000 GP per page).

I like the tattoo idea. Dimension hop (PHBII) would probably come in handy (only Verbal component), although my first thought was something along the lines of summon monster/benign transposition (requires an arcane focus, though). Open/close is kind of disappointing (Verbal, Somatic, and brass key required), but knock only requires Verbal. Summon component + gaseous form would be quite nifty.

Another unusual spellbook would be the Lore Gem (7500 GP, Magic Item Compendium). Wear it on your forehead, stores up to 30 spells. Or even better, mount it on a headband or helmet made of riverine or aurorum.

(I will be doing some shady scoundrely stuff with a lvl or 2 of rogue).

#1 rule for spellcasters around these parts: Thou Shalt Not Lose Caster Levels. Nearly everything a rogue can do, a wizard can do with the right spells and a little preparation. So be careful about multiclassing... even taking 1 level of rogue delays getting access to higher level spells. Now, if the other players aren't high-end optimizers, this may not be a big deal, and delaying your spell progression may bring your power level down towards the rest of the group, which might be better for your group. But in general, avoid multiclassing if it means losing caster levels.

gorfnab
2012-07-11, 02:12 PM
(I will be doing some shady scoundrely stuff with a lvl or 2 of rogue).

Here is a handbook that might be of use to you then: Sneak Attacking Spellcasters (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1240). I usually recommend a build of Rogue or Spellthief 1/ Wizard (Spontaneous Divination ACF, CC) 5/ Unseen Seer 10/ Arcane Trickster 4

Gamer91919
2012-07-11, 05:35 PM
Thank you for all the help everyone! I really appreciate it!

Slipperychicken
2012-07-12, 01:11 AM
Most DMs tend to leave spellbooks alone, as most wizard players consider it a breach of RPG etiquette and a violation of trust to intentionally invalidate a character's entire purpose and ability to influence the world around him. If your DM does go after your spellbook... there's very little you can do to stop him if he's determined to make your wizard suck.

Even if you do take Eidetic Spellcaster, he can still pull all kinds of shenanigans to make you worthless, if he's willing to trample the rules for his power trip. All outside the rules, of course, but no rule can save a game from a sufficiently bad DM. If your DM does this to you, be sure to quit the game immediately, get your buddies to quit too, and find a new DM.