PDA

View Full Version : A Little help for a DM/Major Plot points.

Ranting Fool
2012-07-10, 05:05 PM
Hello Playground, once again I'd like to ask your advice on DM related plot shenanigans and see what suggestions you lot come up with to help my twisted little mind work...

But first a word from our sponsors...

*Spoiler alert* For my Players who happen to lurk around this forum I'd ask you not to read any this tread as it may have major plot points that will ruin your fun if you know about them before hand. So please back away slowly :smallbiggrin:

Now then, please click below for a quick recap and some general questions:

A few general questions that could help me out about the Planes and epic magic / trippy-esk stuff.

Our heroes have just found out that the continent they are on, is not in fact on their world. They were always wondering why,

A: No one had ever found it before and when people scry the sea all they see is more sea.

B: Why no communication stones work and people can't greater teleport to it.

the continent they are on is in fact a very very large demi plane created to look identical to another world, where some rather large and powerful mages teleported whole populations to after they messed with the fabric of the world enough to allow a full scale demonic invasion (This is all 900+ years in the past)

Our heroes have found out that the population and the college of wizards who teleported them all had some big civil war and wiped each other out leaving large chunks of this continent a magic wasteland (the population where mostly minor magic but also are believed to have had a bunch of wizards who weren't part of the whole "oopps we messed up the world we better kidnap everyone so no one realises what we've done" - just to note this is what the PC's have found out from exploring old ruins and a few ghosts and such. And as such their knowledge is not 100% accurate.

Things to note: The PC's have been told/found out that back when all this happened if you sailed of far enough into the sea you would go through a rift into a "World of fire and seas of flame" but now hundreds of years later that same journey will take the PC's back to their home prime plane.

The trip from home to the new world used to take 3 months. Now is only taking boats about 2 months, some sailors put this down to "Good winds" but the captains were a little freaked out by it (Only our PC's know they are on another plane at the moment)

Also they are in the ruins of an old ship building place where adapts made masterwork expensive boats to be enchanted to sail under the waves so Wizards could explore the sea and catalogue it (Most of these long dead wizards are very much normal scientist type stuff with a few "I'm a God and can remake world" types) they found within the chest cavities of some of these dead ship builders (some reanimated as Drowned Ones) small Blue stones that have a "Abjuration" aura. These builders/sailors were the ones who found out that they had been teleported to a fake world by sailing too far away and they told others, which sparked the civil war/major event which wiped out their race and at least one member was entombed in a force jar heavily mutilated and undead-ed for the last few hundred years as punishment.

Lastly the players believe that if any of those big Wizards were still here they would be like giant bait to the demons who would break through to this plane (as they found when they visited a Wizard tower where each floor was a little demi plane and there was a wizard in a Time/Stasis type trap. They free him and about 1 min later hordes of demons rip through into this reality) because those Wizards have altered themselves to gain more magic. The PC's know at least one way, Drinking some rather funky potions gives spell like ability feats but also inscribes the body with magic tattoos.

Questions:
1: What would be good spells/effects for these chest implants be? They could be work related I.e ability to cast water breathing or some such. Or cursed items (The big wizards were not very nice)

2: What would the effect be on the new settlers of this continent (several small cities have sprung up over the last 4 years since they "Discovered" all this lovely unused land across the "Endless" see) if the PC's spread this knowledge.

3: How should I have this new plane endanger the old world? or rather how best to describe the damage this plane does? Tidal waves?

4: How should I let the players know that they are a danger to the world now that they have drank some of these "power up" potions, they have small tattoos and they have already found that items and locks that would only work for the Long Dead Wizards work perfectly well when used by them (with added tattoo glowing in case I was being too subtle) Small demons start appearing around them? Some LG Pally is sent on a mission to kill them to stop them luring in an army of demons?

5: Not really a question but I plan to have the PC's go after and find the "Tiny little cube" that they've seen the Long Dead Wizards use to control the tiny demi-planes and have a choice to either,

A: Move this plane out of contact with the old world, setting themselves up as kings/gods/whatever but gaining that power would most likely mean they are powerful enough for demon hordes to come after them.

B: leave the plane with the cube thus ending all life left within the demi-plane but sparing the old world.

C: Use the power of the cube to teleport all sentient life to the old world (Rather randomly) but most likely killing the PC's (I've a feeling at least one of the PC's will go down this root)

Well that was a lot of rambling. If anyone has any advise, questions or ideas that I really should use that I'm overlooking. I'm all ears, also if anyone liked any idea mentioned now or later and wants to use it feel free :smallbiggrin:

only1doug
2012-07-11, 04:41 AM
1. Heart of Water (complete mage), the heart line of spells
2. Varying but likely to ban powerful arcane magics
3. why should it? (unless you really want it to) If anything I would have it syphon energy from the new palanet, reduce the effects of the tidal system, then start to slow the planets spin, the years will be growing longer etc.
the more magic used on the demi-plane the more syphoning of energy from the home plane.
4. Magic calls to magic: initially no long term damage (they should not be doomed yet, but start dropping the hints that continuing to follow the same course will result in them becoming the danger)
Journal Fragments which chart the progress of becoming a demon magnet:
Stage One: Drink potion, gain SLA and Tattoo.
Stage Two: the tattoo's shift form and become images of the demons.
Stage Three: (according to the journal) is the tattoos animating, ripping themselves free of the body and becoming familiars to the party members, so long as the familiar is alive the PC keeps the use of the SLA.
Stage Four, the Familiars grow in power and antagonism, they will attack anyone who is not an ally of the party (degrading swiftly until only the PC is safe from being attacked by his familiar).
Stage Five, Should a PC die his familiar grows further in power and becomes one of the demons that will attack any full powered mage, at this stage PC are probably targets of Demon attacks anyway.
D. Collapse the Plane (destroying it) (see C)
E. Isolate the Plane, closing all contact with other planes and preventing further demon access to the plane
F. Expand the Plane, Currently just one continent, expanding it to the size of an entire world, creating new land masses etc, pretty much guaranteed to draw demons unless E was done first, likely to cause problems on their former plane unless A was done first.