PDA

View Full Version : Taking the hit for your rider.

Morithias
2012-07-10, 05:59 PM
Okay so my Cavalry unit has the "Battle Maiden" class, which means her horse is intelligent and therefore gets feats.

The rider herself is likely going to be using a charger Shock Trooper combo so her AC is going to be rather low. Luckily with mounted combat, we can use our ride skill as our Horse's AC.

Are there any feats or special items that let you take an attack meant for someone next to you? So that the horse takes the attack and I can use my ride bonuses to negate it?

Tim Proctor
2012-07-10, 06:11 PM
This may not be exactly what you want but I have a player once Marshal 2/Fighter 4/Legendary Leader 5/ Exemplar 1 who had a bunch of AoE buff stuff especially Combat Expertise/Allied Defense and improved Cohort. He had his Cohort be a druid 5/warshaper 5/master of many forms 1 who had Combat Expertise/Allied Defense/Bestial Charge.

Basically him and his horse would be at -5 to attack from combat expertise get +10 AC (+5 from them and +5 from their ally) and charge in so he would get a full round attack, and so would his horse from the Pounce ability. Moral of the story never trust a Marshal who has a Druid Cohort.

However, the Marshal does give you the option to grant movement to your horse allowing you to chase down people. Its a cheesy combo. If your horse gets Marshal levels then you can make it really cool.

GnomeGninjas
2012-07-10, 08:37 PM
I think that there is a white raven manuver that does that, though I'm away from books.

King Atticus
2012-07-10, 08:59 PM
I seriously doubt your horse could meet the prerecs but you might take a look at Goad (CAdv 109). There might be some kind of a fix you could slip in as a house rule if you talk it over with the DM. Basically the horse would taunt (rear up, paw the ground, make aggressive noises towards, etc.) an enemy in combat and if he fails a will save he can't attack anyone but the horse on it's next turn. Only works with melee though.

Urpriest
2012-07-10, 09:10 PM
Halfling Outrider gives you a maneuver that lets you duck behind your mount. I think it just gives cover though.

Sucrose
2012-07-10, 10:23 PM
If they have 50,000 gold to burn, and a goldsmith to make a ring fit over a horse hoof or something, a set of Friend Shield Rings would let the horse cast Shield Other on the Maiden, taking half of the punishment for her.

TuggyNE
2012-07-10, 11:12 PM
I thought for sure there was something in Core that would let you do this, but I'm not finding it. :smallconfused:

It seems kind of an obvious lack, though.

(Of course, the Ride skill has some amusing flaws in it: e.g. the DC to attack from mounted cover, which various Native American tribes did routinely, being 60, which is the same as Balancing on a "hair-thin object".)

Darrin
2012-07-11, 08:22 AM
I think that there is a white raven manuver that does that, though I'm away from books.

Probably "Shield Block": as an immediate action, grant an AC bonus to an adjacent ally equal to your shield bonus +4 (although technically it does not require a shield). Requires Initiator 3, so the mount would have to have at least 6 HD, but it has no maneuvers as prereqs. You could have the mount pick it up with Martial Study, or just buy it a Novice Crown (Bridle?) of the White Raven.

Urpriest
2012-07-11, 12:16 PM
I thought for sure there was something in Core that would let you do this, but I'm not finding it. :smallconfused:

It seems kind of an obvious lack, though.

(Of course, the Ride skill has some amusing flaws in it: e.g. the DC to attack from mounted cover, which various Native American tribes did routinely, being 60, which is the same as Balancing on a "hair-thin object".)

Eh, those Native Americans were likely Halfling Outriders. You do need to give some iconic abilities to PrCs rather than letting everyone access them, after all.

Flickerdart
2012-07-11, 12:21 PM
There's a feat in DotU that allows a creature to take a hit for an adjacent ally - but the two switch places as part of the effect, and suddenly finding a horse on your head is not anyone's idea of fun.

Amidus Drexel
2012-07-11, 12:28 PM
If your DM counts riding as adjacent, the Good Karma feat might work. (complete scoundrel pg 77).

Kaje
2012-07-11, 12:31 PM
Core has a no-action DC 15 ride check to take cover on your mount.

Crasical
2012-07-11, 04:58 PM
There's a feat in...

There's a feat in DotU that allows a creature to take a hit for an adjacent ally - but the two switch places as part of the effect, and suddenly finding a horse on your head is not anyone's idea of fun.

FLICKERDAAAAART! :smallmad:
Ninja'd.

TuggyNE
2012-07-11, 08:15 PM
Core has a no-action DC 15 ride check to take cover on your mount.

That doesn't necessarily negate or redirect any given attack. And, as alluded to, you need a DC 60 check to do anything useful with that.

GnomeGninjas
2012-07-11, 08:42 PM
That doesn't necessarily negate or redirect any given attack. And, as alluded to, you need a DC 60 check to do anything useful with that.

It doesn't help with much, but if you're on a horse at low health and you need to run away cover will make it so the people you're running from don't get AoO on you.