PDA

View Full Version : D&D/PF - Potions

Ryulin18
2012-07-10, 07:17 PM
Me and my group had a large discussion today on the idea of potions.
How do you imagine your potion? After years of gaming, my entire group believed potions to be large red glasses about the size to fit in your palm.

I worked that out to be about 2 pints of liquid that you can drink in 6 seconds...Huh?
None of them believed me when I proposed that a potion is a strong solution in a test tube sized vial.

What's your opinions? Any pictures of an official D&D potion?

Invader
2012-07-10, 07:23 PM
How do you imagine your potion? After years of gaming, my entire group believed potions to be large red glasses about the size to fit in your palm.

I worked that out to be about 2 pints of liquid that you can drink in 6 seconds...Huh?
None of them believed me when I proposed that a potion is a strong solution in a test tube sized vial.

There's pics of a few different potions in the potions section of the DMG.

Just curious, how do you get something small enough to fit in your palm but still holds 2 pints?

Ryulin18
2012-07-10, 07:25 PM
Just curious, how do you get something small enough to fit in your palm but still holds 2 pints?

They meant about this size - My bad, hard to understand without gesturing the size.
http://www.globalvatsolution.com/upl/ist2_9502518-business-hand-hold-apple-isolated-on-white(1).jpg

About 3/4's of a soccerball with a neck...

Invader
2012-07-10, 07:26 PM
Actually it gives a description as well:

"A typical potion or oil consists of 1 ounce of liquid held in a ceramic or glass vial fitted with a tight stopper. The stoppered container is is usually no more than 1 inch wide and 2 inches high".

Invader
2012-07-10, 07:28 PM
They meant about this size - My bad, hard to understand without gesturing the size.
http://www.globalvatsolution.com/upl/ist2_9502518-business-hand-hold-apple-isolated-on-white(1).jpg

To be fair an apple is about a half pint maybe slightly more but not much. :smalltongue:

Invader
2012-07-10, 07:32 PM
By comparison this a 1 pint glass:
http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii636/invaderk2/pint.jpg

Togath
2012-07-11, 12:00 AM

as mentioned by invaderk, potions are only about a single once of liquid, in a small vial or tiny bottle(about 1.5 to 2 inches in length).
I wonder if your group got the image from world of warcraft or DDO(potions in those games are usually animated are being fairly large)

Incorrect
2012-07-11, 01:39 AM
I forget the source but there is a fake hollow tooth that can hold a dose of poison, or a potion. Thats a really small amount tho...

Personally I have always imagined something like a small test tube, or roughly 0,1 litre

But really, its magic. The amount or size doesn't even matter. It may even be different, depending on the maker.

Keneth
2012-07-11, 02:33 AM
By comparison this a 1 pint glass:
http://i1263.photobucket.com/albums/ii636/invaderk2/pint.jpg
To be fair, there's more than one kind of pint and pint is a retarded measurement to begin with (seriously, people need to switch to metric). Also, since this is a measurement for volume, the shape of the container makes a big difference. You can hold a round bottle holding 1 liter of liquid (about two pints) in your palm, after all it's only a sphere with a 5 inch diameter.

CTrees
2012-07-11, 02:47 AM
as mentioned by invaderk, potions are only about a single once of liquid, in a small vial or tiny bottle(about 1.5 to 2 inches in length).
I wonder if your group got the image from world of warcraft or DDO(potions in those games are usually animated are being fairly large)

This is my guess. Point your players towards RAW, which actually make sense this time.

Wonton
2012-07-11, 03:35 AM
Maybe it's because that's how they're drawn in OotS, but for some reason I just can't imagine potions not being in glass containers of that sort of lightbulb shape (http://fffmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/green_potion.jpg). I guess it can be pretty small so that it's still be only a few ounces in size, but I still think it would just be "wrong" to have it be in a straight vial and not a curved container like that.

DigoDragon
2012-07-11, 07:11 AM
Personally I have always imagined something like a small test tube, or roughly 0,1 litre

This is how my group imagines them.

A potion in a small test tube is portable and small enough that you can quickly quaff in one gulp. If they were 1-2 pints, you'd have to sit down at the local bar to get your Bull's Strength on.