PDA

View Full Version : Remake Unique Magic Items

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-10, 08:06 PM
I've seen it stated in several places that according to the Magic Item Compendium, you can add enchantments from unique items to another item. For example, you could take the luck blade price of 13740 and put that on a greatsword so that it would give you +1 luck to all saves and the ability to reroll and one roll a day. Now, I've spent a lot of time looking over the Magic Item Compendium, and have yet to see it. Could someone give me an actual page number?

elonin
2012-07-10, 08:14 PM
I don't know if that is an ability that is covered in MiC. It is an ability of the Artificer class.

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-10, 08:18 PM
I don't know if that is an ability that is covered in MiC. It is an ability of the Artificer class.

See, I wasn't sure either, but several reputably people have used it in this context.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-10, 08:30 PM
Yeah, I thought it was, but I can't find it. There's the option to add properties to a preexisting unique item, but no reverse engineering. The only thing I've got is that special magic weapons and armor are described as 'usually preconstructed' meaning that there are exceptions.

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-10, 08:51 PM
See, it wasn't just you either. JaronK, a highly respected optimizer has used this context in the past as well. Googling gets me nothing though. Perhaps it was just a self perpetuating rumor because nobody bothered to check.

HunterOfJello
2012-07-10, 08:51 PM
The MiC has rules for doing the reverse. Adding enhancements to items that are already magical or adding higher enhancements to items that are already magical. I don't remember anything about adding unique properties to normal items.

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-10, 09:02 PM
I found this thread, but it just gives formulas assuming you can do such a thing: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216721