PDA

View Full Version : Panthers don't ride horses

Yajirobe
2012-07-10, 08:42 PM
At least that's what my DM said when I tried to "mount" my animal companion on a Bottle of Smoke-made horse.

I am looking for tips on how to fast travel as a druid and not leaving my animal companion behind. Keep in mind it is a Medium (soon to be large) animal.

My level is 6. All druid.

Deepbluediver
2012-07-10, 08:56 PM
First thought:
http://tuesdayshorse.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/chinazoo2.jpg?w=560

Second thought: Get a wagon, hitch up the horse, and just have your panther ride around in that. Maybe something two-wheeled, like a racing buggy, to keep the weight down.

If that doesn't work start investigating ways to permenantly graft wings to your animal-buddy...probably via templates. :smallbiggrin:

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-10, 08:58 PM
Can't exotic saddles mean exotic for the rider as well? I see no problem just buying a really exotic saddle and strapping your panther to a dire polar bear.

Tvtyrant
2012-07-10, 08:59 PM
Make a chariot, turn into the horse, pull your animal companion. Never worry about it being disloyal again.

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-10, 09:07 PM
1.) Release your animal companion
2.) Get a Dire Eagle or Dire Bat animal companion
3.) Get a Military Flyer's Saddle that is a Masterwork Tool of Ride
4.) Fly on your animal companion, or have the party fighter ride it while you fly alongside it!

Or...

1.) Get that portable pit trap from MIC.
2.) Build a five story building in it
3.) Make the top building have an extendible tarp for a roof, and be a stables
4.) Only put your animal companion in there for short period of time at a stretch (though it DOES have wayyy more air than a portable hole), unless....
5.) ...You equip it with a bottle of air attached to a wind pipe or a chamber of comfort to recirculate fresh air in the place

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-10, 09:58 PM
...There IS a Reduce animal spell you, you know...

Gavinfoxx
2012-07-10, 09:59 PM
Oh. Right. Druid 2, 1 hour per level...

Ashtagon
2012-07-11, 04:28 AM
Dismiss the companion and get another when you arrive at your destination. This was actually the original intent behind making the companion so easily replaceable in the first place.

JeminiZero
2012-07-11, 06:10 AM
See if your DM will allow your panther to ride Phantom Steed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/phantomSteed.htm) instead. Unlike Bottle of Smoke, it does not explicitly require a ride check, nor does the rider have to hold a bottle in hand. Additionally the spell specifies that it bears the designated rider's weight (without imposing limits of size or weight on rider). Hence it is theoretically possible for a collosal creature to ride one with no issues.

Also semi-related:

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb248/Nirvanafann51/bearhorse.jpg

hewhosaysfish
2012-07-11, 06:14 AM
Make a chariot, turn into the horse, pull your animal companion. Never worry about it being disloyal again.

I'm just imagining the NPC reactions to a panther riding in a chariot. Do you think people will try to talk to him?

kitcik
2012-07-11, 10:00 AM
Umm your panther is slower than your horse?

Looking at the SRD I guess it's true - must be a lot of starving panthers in the D&D world.

Drelua
2012-07-11, 03:23 PM
Umm your panther is slower than your horse?

Looking at the SRD I guess it's true - must be a lot of starving panthers in the D&D world.

Actually, I'm pretty sure there's just a lot of panthers that know better than to try to chase down a horse. Not surprising since horses weigh upwards of 1000 pounds and tend to stay in large groups. According to some quick research, horses can go as fast as 47 mph and cougars go 35. That's how horses stay alive and why they're by far the most common mounts; they're built to run really fast.

Knaight
2012-07-11, 04:27 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure there's just a lot of panthers that know better than to try to chase down a horse. Not surprising since horses weigh upwards of 1000 pounds and tend to stay in large groups. According to some quick research, horses can go as fast as 47 mph and cougars go 35. That's how horses stay alive and why they're by far the most common mounts; they're built to run really fast.

Plus, panthers are stealthy. There's nothing preventing them from hunting down something that is theoretically faster than them, even if horses are a really bad idea.

Yajirobe
2012-07-11, 05:58 PM
Lots of good ideas. But I really like the Enveloping Pit one and the Reduce Animal one (d'oh, forgot the spell existed)

One thing about the Reduce Animal method. I remember that, on Tome and Blood, you had a magical item for familiars that it kept the familiar safe from envoroment, fed and protected. Do you guys know if there was an update of this item for 3.5? I can't find it on MIC.

Thanks and I'll be saving the lion and the bear pictures for next session.

Necroticplague
2012-07-11, 08:27 PM
Lots of good ideas. But I really like the Enveloping Pit one and the Reduce Animal one (d'oh, forgot the spell existed)

One thing about the Reduce Animal method. I remember that, on Tome and Blood, you had a magical item for familiars that it kept the familiar safe from envoroment, fed and protected. Do you guys know if there was an update of this item for 3.5? I can't find it on MIC.

Thanks and I'll be saving the lion and the bear pictures for next session.

I don't remember an item that did this, but their is a spell called Familar Pocket that did something similar, it got updated in the spell compendium and in complete arcane.