PDA

View Full Version : Sandman TV series

Dumbledore lives
2012-07-11, 12:44 AM
I was talking to a friend who was somewhere in the middle of the series and we were trying to think of the various actors and actresses who could play the Endless. I'm not very good at this kind of stuff so was wondering about the Playground's opinions.

I'll just put my opinions below and know that they are very malleable. Also note in explanations there will be some spoilers, so readers beware.

Destiny: Morgan Freeman - I think he has that reassuring voice and demeanor that his mere presence would cement the character, which is really what is needed. He's more of a plot device than a character anyway so I think it would work very nicely.

Death: Helena Bonham Carter - This is one I'm unsure about, she can certainly pull off crazy, but from what I've seen it's a different kind of crazy than Delirium or Desire. I'm not sure she can have quite the right kind of joy that Death exudes. In terms of look though she is very close, so there is potential.

Dream: Allan Hyde - This was one of the more difficult choices, but after re-watching his speech from the end of his run on True Blood I think he might be perfect. He's got that quality about him, one of sadness but also determination, and I think he would be amazing for all the scenes with Hob.

Desire: I'm unsure of who could play this, being both a male and a female makes it very difficult. Maybe Tim Curry at his Rocky Horror prime.

Despair: Despair would be largely makeup and special effects so that actor playing her doesn't matter as much.

Delirium: There are a number of younger actors who could play this, but I think my personal favorite and least likely is Evanna Lynch. She has just the right brand of crazy, and I can already imagine some of the lines especially Delirium's insults which would come out just perfectly.

Dienekes
2012-07-11, 12:48 AM
Dream: Benedict Cumberbatch he's got the face and the voice for it, as well as a good practice playing withdrawn characters.

Oh and of course there is only one person who can play Destruction: BRIAN BLESSED. Hell, Gaiman even admitted the part was based on him (sadly, it doesn't really look like BRIAN BLESSED when he's doing his artist schtick, but that's a small price to pay to get the acting talents of BRIAN BLESSED)

factotum
2012-07-11, 01:35 AM
Surely, if you're after someone fairly androgynous to play Desire, you can't do much better than Tilda Swinton? As for Despair, whoever plays her would need to be able to get the essential darkness of the character over from under layers of makeup, so you'd need a pretty good actress...nobody is immediately springing to my mind, though.

Oh, and you forgot Destruction, who does appear (albeit briefly) in the series. I'd say Nathan Fillion for that role--he's got the right ability to be both deadly serious and out-and-out ridiculous in the same scene.

Eldan
2012-07-11, 03:40 AM
While Cumberbatch is indeed a very good idea for Dream, for some reason the first actor that came into my head was Allan Rickman. Don't ask me why, I don't know.

Thinking about it, he might be better as Lucifer.

Dumbledore lives
2012-07-11, 03:42 AM
I can't believe I forgot about Destruction, I loved his parts of the series. I think factotum nailed it on the head though, Brian Blessed is the only one who could every portray him. Maybe Sean Connery at his most Scottish, but he's been out of acting for a while.

Eldan
2012-07-11, 03:48 AM
Sean Connery might make a good Odin. Or go for the In-jokes and hire Anthony Hopkins to play him.

Sneaky Weasel
2012-07-11, 05:04 AM
I personally think Alan Rickman would do a good Dream. His voice just fits with Dream's seriousness, in my mind.

As for Desire, factotum is so right. Tilda Swinton would be perfect for Desire. Perfect, I say!

And I'll cast another vote for Brian Blessed as Destruction, although he looks completely different in the comic. Trying to picture a blonde Brian Blessed with a ponytail...failing...

Helena Bonham Carter could do a good Death, similar to how she appeared in Fight Club.

Also, Giovanni Ribisi would make a good Cain, in my opinion. Not sure why I think that, I just do. And Sean Connery as Fiddler's Green would be awesome beyond words.

Selrahc
2012-07-11, 05:22 AM
Most of the actors suggested would be fine... 20 years ago. Most of the Endless appear as around 20-30. Having them be portrayed by a bunch of famous 40-70 year olds would just be jarring.

factotum
2012-07-11, 06:55 AM
Most of the actors suggested would be fine... 20 years ago. Most of the Endless appear as around 20-30. Having them be portrayed by a bunch of famous 40-70 year olds would just be jarring.

The way the Endless appear is largely in the eye of the beholder (certainly in the case of Dream), so having them be a bit older looking than they appeared in the comic isn't a big issue, IMHO. Can you name alternatives who are both young and have the appropriate gravitas to pull off the roles?

Eldan
2012-07-11, 06:56 AM
Yeah, many of them are a bit old, now. But I can't think of anyone younger.

Wyntonian
2012-07-11, 11:33 AM
And Sean Connery as Fiddler's Green would be awesome beyond words.

OH MY EVER-LOVING GOD YES!

He's probably one of my favorite characters in the series, and that's a perfect match.

I also like Morgan Freeman as Destiny. He really fits that role well.

Brian Blessed is the kind of guy who always needs his name written in bold. If he cleaned up a bit and got a ponytail, it could work, I suppose.

Eldan
2012-07-11, 12:07 PM
Hm. I love BRIAN BLESSED and think he could make an awesome destruction. But that character is one that, to me, has to be one of the younger looking ones.

comicshorse
2012-07-11, 01:50 PM
In the intrests of some younger suggestion :

Gerard Butler as Destruction

Zooey Deschanel as Delerium

Still think Tilda Swinton would be perfect as Desire

Christina Ricci as Death

Yora
2012-07-11, 01:52 PM
There was a really long running German show.
http://www.germany.info/contentblob/2192064/Galeriebild_gross/347650/SandmanPondorondop.jpg

:smalltongue:

Raimun
2012-07-11, 02:46 PM
There was a really long running German show.
http://www.germany.info/contentblob/2192064/Galeriebild_gross/347650/SandmanPondorondop.jpg

:smalltongue:

Brilliant.

Jaros
2012-07-11, 08:39 PM
The way the Endless appear is largely in the eye of the beholder (certainly in the case of Dream), so having them be a bit older looking than they appeared in the comic isn't a big issue, IMHO. Can you name alternatives who are both young and have the appropriate gravitas to pull off the roles?

They should totally film it many times with several different actors in each of the Endless roles and broadcast different casts randomly to different locations.

That would definitely be brilliant and not at all confusing and overcomplex.

Dienekes
2012-07-11, 10:15 PM
Hm. I love BRIAN BLESSED and think he could make an awesome destruction. But that character is one that, to me, has to be one of the younger looking ones.

Bahh, BRIAN BLESSED defies paltry concerns like age. And I think he could still work for it. The man still seems to have boundless energy, and especially when we see Destruction in his full Endless persona he looks pitch perfect BRIAN BLESSED.

Also to me the Endless should look ageless, like you can't really determine how old they actually are, which I think with the appropriate make-up can be done with quite a few actors.

Anyway, one that I don't think would work anymore but I wish that it would. A younger David Bowie coulda been great as the Corinthian.

CapnRedBeard
2012-07-11, 10:49 PM
I'd like it to be animated like that Final Fantasy movie was some years back.

The Sandman comics were by far my favorites. I have 80% of them including the first 15.

Aidan305
2012-07-13, 09:00 AM
Speaking of Sandman, it appears that a new Sandman comic is going to be debuting in 2013 - a prequel to the old series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GndnR7oSYYk

BRC
2012-07-13, 09:54 AM
Benedict Cumberbatch has the cheekbones to play Dream.

Selrahc
2012-07-15, 09:17 AM
Speaking of Sandman, it appears that a new Sandman comic is going to be debuting in 2013 - a prequel to the old series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GndnR7oSYYk

Interesting!

Endless Nights was fun, if definitely standing apart from the series proper. I'll be looking forward to this one too. I was always a little curious what Dream had actually been doing before Sandman 1...