PDA

View Full Version : Intelligence +1 LA template

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-11, 04:06 AM
Are there any +1 LA templates that give a bonus to intelligence and maybe some other useful perks? Ideally +4 intelligence or +2 and some other bonuses. All dragon magazines are on the table for this. The template is for a psionic character.

Private
2012-07-11, 04:36 AM
I don't have time to sift through them ATM, but this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869266/Master_Template_List) may help.

Kholai
2012-07-11, 04:40 AM
Voidmind, if you don't mind being a slave to your illithid overlords.

That's about it though as far as I know of.

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-11, 04:46 AM
Voidmind is sadly +3 LA.

Spuddles
2012-07-11, 05:03 AM
There's a 3.0 template, called Deep, from Dragon magazine, that gives +2 int and +1 LA.

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-11, 05:27 AM
There's a 3.0 template, called Deep, from Dragon magazine, that gives +2 int and +1 LA.

Ah, Dragon 306, good issue. Sadly, the template kinda sucks. Anything else out there?

White_Drake
2012-07-11, 05:33 AM
A single level in the half-dragon savage progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a)would net you +2 Int.

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-11, 06:04 AM
A single level in the half-dragon savage progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030912a)would net you +2 Int.

That's handy. I think there might be another Savage progression that might work too.

phelgeos
2012-07-11, 08:07 AM
If your creature type is 'Giant' you can qualify for the Primordial Giant template from Secrets of Xen'drik. I believe there's a half-giant race with no int penalty, no racial HD, and a +1 LA. Adjustments for the 'primordial giant' template are: Str –4, Con –2, Int +4, Cha +4. Template has no LA.

You also get a slew of great abilities. Totally broken.

I'm posting the whole bit from the sourcebook...

PRIMORDIAL GIANT “Primordial” is an inherited template that can be added to any giant (referred to hereafter as the base creature). A primordial giant uses all the base creature's sta-tistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Languages: Their increase in Intelligence might allow primordial giants to select additional languages from those available to the base creature.
Spell-Like Ability: Primordial giants retain some of the arcane power of their ancestors. A primordial giant can choose one of the following spell-like abilities, which it can thereafter manifest at will: invisibility, invisibility purge, or levitate. Caster level equals the giant's racial Hit Dice.
Abilities: Adjust from the base creature as follows: Str –4, Con –2, Int +4, Cha +4.
Special Qualities: Primordial giants retain the special qualities of the base creature and gain the fol-lowing special quality.
Magical Knack (Ex): Primordial giants use all spell-like abilities at +1 caster level.
Skills: Their increase in Intelligence awards pri-mordial giants 8 extra skill points for their fi rst racial Hit Die, 2 extra skill points per racial Hit Die beyond the fi rst, and 2 extra skill points per class level (if any). Primordial giants gain any one Knowledge skill as a class skill. Primordia l giants receive a +2 racial bonus on Spell-craft and Use Magic Device checks.
Environment: Usually same as base creature.
Favored Class: Primordial giants gain warlock as a favored class, in addition to the favored class of the base creature.
Level Adjustment: Same as base creature. Challenge Rating: Same as base creature.

Garwain
2012-07-11, 08:16 AM
You won't settle for +2 LA? The phrenic template is very juicy... see XPH p202. A boost to all mental stats, extra pp and abilities that scale with HD.

Addi
2012-07-11, 08:20 AM
Half-Air(edit: and -Fire and -Water) Elemental from Manual of the Planes, if that suits your needs.

CTrees
2012-07-11, 08:24 AM
If you can pull in Pathfinder, the Advanced simple template gives +4 to all ability scores, including Intelligence, and +2 natural armor.

Though, I've been thinking about it lately, and even if you bring PF's templates back to 3.5, not only are they often a bit imbalanced, but technically none of them have listed level adjustments. This is, naturally, because PF doesn't have LA, but... many 3.5 templates have differing CR and LA adjustments, and those without LA are, by default, illegal for PCs. So... yeah.

Mithril Leaf
2012-07-11, 08:31 AM
I've found that a level of half-fiend (which incidently qualifies you for lesser, so it could technically be free) customized for Arcanoloth suits my needs perfectly. Thanks for the help guys.

Spuddles
2012-07-11, 08:37 AM
Half-Air(edit: and -Fire and -Water) Elemental from Manual of the Planes, if that suits your needs.

I couldn't find the LA on those with a cursory look.

Addi
2012-07-11, 08:44 AM
I couldn't find the LA on those with a cursory look.

Me neither. The template list in the second post listed it as "n/a".

Edit: Maybe there's an update for this!?

Darrin
2012-07-11, 09:58 AM
Me neither. The template list in the second post listed it as "n/a".

Edit: Maybe there's an update for this!?

There is. The 3.5 Accessory Update Booklet (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20030718a) has a section for MotP, and gives the half-elemental templates a LA +3.