PDA

View Full Version : Is this character too simple/too detailed/silly/serious for a standard campaign?

Togath
2012-07-11, 05:19 AM
After deciding that I likely wont be playing a dnd campaign with a few friends of mine(from the sounds of it, their gaming style is too rp oriented for me), I was left with my character concept still stuck in my mind, and I had been pondering using it if I ever do find another gaming group, but thought I should ask around and see if there are any useful things I could add, or things that make him too much of a mary sue that I should probably remove.

The base(mostly mechanics oriented concept, mostly pathfinder/dnd);

I was planning on something such as warlade, leading into bloodstorm blade, at least if whoever the dungeon master is allows me to fluff unarmed attacks used with bloodstorm blade and blasts of wind from his punches or kicks, possibly with something to make him decent at using improvised weapons, and, if pathfinder is allowed, enough levels in the witch class with the white haired witch archetype to attack with his beard and/or mustache.
If whoever the dungeon master is doesn't let me make thrown attacks with my punches and kicks, then i would probably either stay unarmed, and melee(possibly taking levels of barbarian instead of bloodstorm blade, and maybe taking the flaming rage and frost rage feats to be covered in flaming ice when I use rage), or switch to melee and using a large variety of weapons(I was thinking of things such as great clubs, and oversized macahuitl, boomerangs and daggers being his main ones, with the macahuitl using the stats of a greatsword in this case]), if he gets enough warblade levels I was planning on taking martial study for shadow jaunt, and whatever the second level maneuver which allows you to become invisible for one round is called, in order to make him better at assassination

Fluff mostly;
I was thinking of having either be a plain human, or maybe a mul(from darksun, their half human, half dwarves, and asking if the dm would be willing to them to have hair, if the settings dwarves end up with hair), or a half giant(the non-darksun one from 3.5).
I was planning on having him come from some cold, Norse/Germanic region of the campaign world, and had been thinking of Velleck Ingvarrsson for his name and Ingvarr Bosson for his father, and Ketta Grethalsdotter for his mother's name, both living in the cold Germanic/Norse country he comes from and running an inn/pub.
he currently works as a travelling chef/[usually used]armour merchant using a small cart(usually just pulled by him, as he's very strong), a table and some cooking supplies as his shop, at least at the beginning of the campaign(his work as a merchant also makes it easier for the pcs to sell loot from dungeons, without the dm having to resort to something like in mmos, where you can sell anything to anyone to get money).
For his general outlook on combat, he likes to charge into combat when fighting an enemy, but prefers to do so from ambush, he is also fine with assassination and will chose it over zerg rushing the enemy if assassination is a viable option.
For his personality, I was thinking of having him be quiet most of the time, but in combat having roar or taunt the enemy, or shout battle cries, he is also fairly talkative when trying to sell something, or when he if he needs to trick someone during negotiations of some sort(at least if the dm doesn't make me rp too much, as in real life I am bad at those sorts of things, and don't like rping in a game that much[I do enjoy explaining what my character says in third person though, so that sort of thing is fine, such as "I try to persuade the guard to be lenient in arresting us for trespassing by saying that we thought we saw someone sneaking around there, and wanted to warn the owner of the land")
he is also very brave in battle and I was planning on him being genre savvy as well, and having him know common gaming world cliches, and to treat him as though he read things such as the evil overlord list.
he is also willing to take captives, torture them if necessary, and, if he is threatening to hurt someone(such as when interrogating them, or when holding a hostage), he will do so, in order to prove he is serious.

For his appearance, while it doesn't matter much(or so I thought) the dm of the group that I'm probably not going to end up gaming with did have a problem with a few parts of it, my concept for his appearance(including the parts the dm found odd) is below;

height; 6'8" if the dm allows me it on the half dwarf or the human, or around 8'10-9'4" on the half giant
hair/eye colour; very dark blond hair, nearly dark brown or black, and greenish brown eyes
hair style(which is something the dm had a problem with, not really sure why); somewhat scruffy, long hair(probably down to his shoulders), thick eyebrows, and a large mustache and beard.
if he is likely to end up in combat(including during ambushes or assassinations) he wears plate armour, but during business he wears simple garments, with a leather vest and coat as protection(probably equal to leather or padded armour in 3.5 dnd), if he is trying to ambush/assassinate someone, he wears a simple white painted wooden mask with simple eye holes cut into it and a strap to hold it on, he also often wears head wrappings to help further with disguising himself during stealth missions.

edit; just realised I forgot to mention his build and age, for his age, i was thinking probably around 30, or maybe 40, and I picture him as stocky but tall

Togath
2012-07-11, 10:53 PM
100 views so far, I take it that the guy who I almost ended up gaming with was just unusually twitchy(not sure if I'm using the right word there, he wasn't angry or anything, but he seemed to have a problem of some sort with my concept for the character) about character concepts and appearances?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-07-11, 10:57 PM
Sounds... fine? I don't see any particular reason not to allow it, unless you guys are supposed to all follow the rules of Goody McPaladin.

gooddragon1
2012-07-11, 11:04 PM
100 views so far, I take it that the guy who I almost ended up gaming with was just unusually twitchy(not sure if I'm using the right word there, he wasn't angry or anything, but he seemed to have a problem of some sort with my concept for the character) about character concepts and appearances?

Your description is a bit imposing to read. Though it looks like you've got everything fleshed out. I would say you might want to talk to the 3.5 char op boards if you've got any mechanical or power qualms. Backstory is however in the eye of the beholder and I'm really more of a mechanics person myself.

Also, give a bottom line of what you're trying to go for and people can give you ideas to move in that direction.

Togath
2012-07-12, 01:20 AM
ok, good to know that it was more the specific dm then some mistake I made, or making it poorly written.
I doubt he was worried about the alignment, he talked about starting the campaign in a series of islands owned by pirates, who were often slave owners(I think he said he wanted to use the throne of the sea princes from greyhawk, but I may be remembering the name of the place wrong).
A few other quirks of things he found odd; first; probing for traps, he had the view that if you didn't have the trap finding ability you could never find a trap, even if you use a crowbar or pole to probe ahead, and that sending something down the hallway in front of you would fail because you need trapfinding to find traps(I think he was planning to railroad, so yet another reason not to game with him).
he also wanted a "standard power campaign" which to him meant 20 point buy for 3.5 dnd, because he wanted us to be "a little stronger then the average base point buy", which according to him was 18(the base, and it's for somewhat low power campaigns, is 25 points in 3.5, not 18, but he didn't want to change it even after I showed him the section in the dmg/phb[cant remember which it was in atm] detailing it)
Another quirk; he thought that druids were a weak class, no I'm not kidding about that, he seemed to have trouble understanding "can turn into a flying, spell casting, t-rex with an army of elder elementals and bears", oddly he allowed warblades, but he seemed to think that they were the same power as fighter limited to core (really, what was he thinking?).
he also was strongly against us working together to try to make an at least semi balanced party(keep in mind, we all wanted a somewhat standardish party, of a healing class, a sneaky guy, a tough guy, and support), and he also seemed to think that half-elves were stronger then normal elves for a melee or archer build(which seemed like a rather odd view, at least to me).

NikitaDarkstar
2012-07-12, 02:26 AM
I'll point out the things I'd have issues with or find odd if I was the DM.

Mixing Pathfinder and 3.5? Yes PF is compatible with 3.5, but PF's classes and 3.5 classes don't mix, and bringing PF a PF class into 3.5 wouldn't be happening. (You got enough choices in 3.5 to build pretty much everything.)

You're talking about building what sounds like a brute force melee fighter that can assassinate (wearing full-plate?) and be a social skills character. I'm not saying it's impossible and I'm not saying you're not welcome to try, but I'll love to see of you do it. (Especially sneaking in full-plat. Unless you have access to the Iron Silence spell in some way I don't see how you'd do it.)

And 6'8" while being a half-dwarf? That is well above normal height for a normal human, but still inside the max height of a medium sized creature, so maybe your genes backfired and made you bigger, odder things have happened. However if you go for half-giant you'll have to keep your height within the limits of your size category, so for a medium sized creature you can't be over 8ft tall. (If Half-giant actually makes you a large creature that's different. No powerful build doesn't count, you're still medium.)

But overall the character sounds fine, and perfectly playable, but the DM of that group sounds somewhat confused about some of the rules.

Togath
2012-07-12, 03:46 AM
I'll point out the things I'd have issues with or find odd if I was the DM.

Mixing Pathfinder and 3.5? Yes PF is compatible with 3.5, but PF's classes and 3.5 classes don't mix, and bringing PF a PF class into 3.5 wouldn't be happening. (You got enough choices in 3.5 to build pretty much everything.)

You're talking about building what sounds like a brute force melee fighter that can assassinate (wearing full-plate?) and be a social skills character. I'm not saying it's impossible and I'm not saying you're not welcome to try, but I'll love to see of you do it. (Especially sneaking in full-plat. Unless you have access to the Iron Silence spell in some way I don't see how you'd do it.)

And 6'8" while being a half-dwarf? That is well above normal height for a normal human, but still inside the max height of a medium sized creature, so maybe your genes backfired and made you bigger, odder things have happened. However if you go for half-giant you'll have to keep your height within the limits of your size category, so for a medium sized creature you can't be over 8ft tall. (If Half-giant actually makes you a large creature that's different. No powerful build doesn't count, you're still medium.)

But overall the character sounds fine, and perfectly playable, but the DM of that group sounds somewhat confused about some of the rules.

good point about the half giant thing, and it's good to know that the concept might be viable(if i remove the attack mustache), also for the half-dwarf thing, the muls from darksun were actually taller then humans, for some reason(I too find it sort of funny that they decided to make half-dwarves tall).
Also, good point about the problem with half-plate making noise, i was able to solve the lack of hide skill with swift action invisibility as a maneuver, but i'm not sure if any maneuvers help reduce noise, also the for social skills part of it, I was thinking mostly appraise(he's a merchant with high int) and diplomacy, or maybe intimidate(warblades also can get gather information as a class skill if I'm remembering correctly, but I would probably leave gather information to someone else)

Jay R
2012-07-12, 09:41 AM
ok, good to know that it was more the specific dm then some mistake I made, or making it poorly written.

That's why there's no point asking whether a specific character is wrong for a standard campaign, just as you wouldn't ask if a standard character is wrong for a specific campaign.

There are no standard characters. There are no standard campaigns. There are only specific characters and specific campaigns.

(Yes, there are published modules. But they aren't all the same, so they aren't "standard", either.]

The relevant question is always, "Is this specific character wrong for this specific campaign?"

Togath
2012-07-12, 10:34 AM
That's why there's no point asking whether a specific character is wrong for a standard campaign, just as you wouldn't ask if a standard character is wrong for a specific campaign.

There are no standard characters. There are no standard campaigns. There are only specific characters and specific campaigns.

(Yes, there are published modules. But they aren't all the same, so they aren't "standard", either.]

The relevant question is always, "Is this specific character wrong for this specific campaign?"

I more meant, fluff wise, is he is too strange(or does he have too complex of a backstory/description) to bring to another campaign with a different dm, this is only the second time I've been in a non one shot campaign as a player so I'm somewhat new to making characters with backstories or defined personalities(my first time, I started as a cleric, but ended up being killed off by the bard after two sessions for trying to capture a random goblin which had no reason to exist the in the area, and as such seemed suspicious to me, after that I tried to play a cartographer elven shapeshift focused druid[though the campaign died before I got a chance to play the druid for more then one session])

Jay R
2012-07-12, 12:36 PM
I more meant, fluff wise, is he is too strange(or does he have too complex of a backstory/description) to bring to another campaign with a different dm, ...

That doesn't change my answer at all.

He is fine in the other campaign if he fits with what that DM and those players are doing, but not if he doesn't.

The question remains "Can this specific character fit in this particular campaign?"

NikitaDarkstar
2012-07-12, 12:39 PM
Even fluff-wise it's impossible to say. You can take a published module and give it to two groups and they can run it in completely different styles. One group might go for hilarity where your mustache attacking warblade would fit right in with the bard who uses a slinky as his weapon and the cleric who insists on being dressed up as a clown.
The other group might run it as gritty, dark and as realistic as possible meaning your character wouldn't fit in at all.

But keep the character around and bring him out whenever you find a game he'd fit into, there's nothing wrong with that. (Seriously, I think most people who's been gaming for a while has a few character concepts just waiting to be used.)

Togath
2012-07-13, 01:57 AM
Even fluff-wise it's impossible to say. You can take a published module and give it to two groups and they can run it in completely different styles. One group might go for hilarity where your mustache attacking warblade would fit right in with the bard who uses a slinky as his weapon and the cleric who insists on being dressed up as a clown.
The other group might run it as gritty, dark and as realistic as possible meaning your character wouldn't fit in at all.

But keep the character around and bring him out whenever you find a game he'd fit into, there's nothing wrong with that. (Seriously, I think most people who's been gaming for a while has a few character concepts just waiting to be used.)

Ah, now i understand, I'll probably keep the concept around, and bring it up if a campign looks like the sort i could fit him into

JoeMac307
2012-07-13, 10:20 AM
Your description is a bit imposing to read.

Yes, this is what I thought when I first came upon this thread. Your description is a huge block of text to wade through. I can't read things unless they are broken into small paragraphs and bullet points. Probably from working in a corporate environment too long. Nearly everything I read outside of novels are in small, easily digested blocks.