PDA

View Full Version : We're going for the record! Small World for 55+ hours. 1-3 August

KuReshtin
2012-07-11, 06:17 AM
BIG NEWS:
I'm excited to announce that on the 1st to 3rd of August, BM, DC, SM (all United Kingdom) and CO (Sweden)* will attempt to break the Guinness World Record for Longest Marathon Playing a Boardgame, at Bus Stop Toy Shop, Largs, Scotland. The current World Record stands at a smidgen under 54 hours but we're all gunning to go past that mark.

Of course, we're doing it all for a good cause - more news on that in the coming days. (There's lots of bits to tie up because you're not allowed to publicise a record attempt until Guinness approve it.) In the meantime though, I hope you'll all support us in our efforts.

At the moment, the game of choice for the record attempt is Small World.

*that would be me

Killer Angel
2012-07-11, 06:34 AM
At the moment, the game of choice for the record attempt is Small World.

A lot of matches, then... you'll probably end trying almost all the possible variations of powers/races.
It will include the underground expansion?

KuReshtin
2012-07-11, 06:38 AM
A lot of matches, then... you'll probably end trying all the possible variations of powers/races.
It will include the underground expansion?

yeah, there will be a lot of matches played. That would always be the case, and Small World was chosen because of the fact that every match is different since the power/race combinations change each match.
Stops it from being too repetitive.
However, i have a feeling we'll all hate Small World after this marathon session.:smallwink:

We haven't decided on whether to use underground as well, but we might well do. Gives a few more options with the races and powers.

The Succubus
2012-07-11, 06:40 AM
Play a FULL game of Order of the Stick....without the Shortening.

That's an easy week's worth there.

factotum
2012-07-11, 06:50 AM
Does it have to be the same game played constantly over the time period? You'd think they'd let you swap out now and again to relieve the monotony!

KuReshtin
2012-07-11, 07:29 AM
Nope, it has to be the same game throughout the attempt.
It's a marathon attempt, basically. they don't let marathon runners switch to bicycles in the middle of the race to break the monotony of running, so we don't get to change games during the attempt.

grimbold
2012-07-11, 07:31 AM
Play a FULL game of Order of the Stick....without the Shortening.

That's an easy week's worth there.

is that even possible?

Elemental
2012-07-11, 07:31 AM
Do they at least let you sleep sometime in the middle of your attempt?
Or, are they going to videotape it so people can laugh as you start to slowly go insane from sleep deprivation?

KuReshtin
2012-07-11, 07:49 AM
Do they at least let you sleep sometime in the middle of your attempt?
Or, are they going to videotape it so people can laugh as you start to slowly go insane from sleep deprivation?

According to the rules, we will accrue a 5 minute break for each completed hour of play.
So, if we start playing at 09:00, we can go for a 5 minute break at 10:00 and be back at 10:05. After that, our next break accrued would be at 10:05 after that completed hour and so on.

We can, however, add up those 5 minute breaks to make it a longer break, so if we play non-stop for 4 hours, we can take a 20 minute break, and so on.

We're still trying to figure out how exactly we are going to collect video evidence from the attempt, and if we can set up some sort of live feed or something so that people can tune in.

Elemental
2012-07-11, 07:53 AM
According to the rules, we will accrue a 5 minute break for each completed hour of play.
So, if we start playing at 09:00, we can go for a 5 minute break at 10:00 and be back at 10:05. After that, our next break accrued would be at 10:05 after that completed hour and so on.

We can, however, add up those 5 minute breaks to make it a longer break, so if we play non-stop for 4 hours, we can take a 20 minute break, and so on.

We're still trying to figure out how exactly we are going to collect video evidence from the attempt, and if we can set up some sort of live feed or something so that people can tune in.

So you can't... I don't know... Bring in a reserve while one of you sleeps?
Otherwise... It might be a little hard to do...

My suggestion is you look up tactics to keep awake for long periods of time that don't involve dosing yourself on caffeine and sugar.
I think I read somewhere about foods rich in protein or carbohydrates or something...

KuReshtin
2012-07-11, 08:00 AM
No, that would defeat the purpose.

Again, that's the point of a world record for the longest session of playing a single board game.

My suggestion is you look up tactics to keep awake for long periods of time that don't involve dosing yourself on caffeine and sugar.
I think I read somewhere about foods rich in protein or carbohydrates or something...
We will be doing extensive studies on the subject before the try, I'm sure. :)

Tyndmyr
2012-07-11, 09:03 AM

I have previously played video games for 70 hours at a stretch, back when LAN parties were cool. It gets...wonky.

The first sixteen hours or so is easy. Get tons of rest beforehand. Get a comfortable setup. Arrange for food to nibble on, but beware of the sleepiness that comes with heavy eating.

For maximum effectiveness, give up caffeine a couple weeks prior to the event. You build up a tolerance, so giving it up for a while sheds that. Keep giant stockpiles of caffeinated beverages around for the gaming session. Start slow, no need to dip into them for at least the first normal day. Assuming you start at like 8amish, you'll feel dog tired in the early morning of the first night. If you make it through that, you get kind of a second wind, though.

Keep bottled water around, too. Balancing the soda is a good idea.

After around two days of being awake, kind of a mental fog sets in. People act a bit dumber...sometimes to the point of appearing almost drunk. Having someone videotape this part could be hilarious later.

Also, set aside a couple days afterward for recovery. You will seriously need them.

KuReshtin
2012-07-11, 09:22 AM
I have previously played video games for 70 hours at a stretch, back when LAN parties were cool. It gets...wonky.

The first sixteen hours or so is easy. Get tons of rest beforehand. Get a comfortable setup. Arrange for food to nibble on, but beware of the sleepiness that comes with heavy eating.

For maximum effectiveness, give up caffeine a couple weeks prior to the event. You build up a tolerance, so giving it up for a while sheds that. Keep giant stockpiles of caffeinated beverages around for the gaming session. Start slow, no need to dip into them for at least the first normal day. Assuming you start at like 8amish, you'll feel dog tired in the early morning of the first night. If you make it through that, you get kind of a second wind, though.

Keep bottled water around, too. Balancing the soda is a good idea.

After around two days of being awake, kind of a mental fog sets in. People act a bit dumber...sometimes to the point of appearing almost drunk. Having someone videotape this part could be hilarious later.

Also, set aside a couple days afterward for recovery. You will seriously need them.

very good tips and suggestions..
we had a bit of a talk about things last night, and we all agreed that caffeinated drinks is not your friend during an event like this, until you reach the very final stretch, since the caffeine and sugar in those drinks usually give you a temporary high, but then a very hard crash after a while, which will be counter productive.

We will make sure there's plenty of water around for hydration and not a whole lot of heavy food.

All of us are gamers, so we have all done marathon gaming sessions before, only not in an official capacity, so I'm sure we'll get through at least the first day and a half or so without too much problem.
Hopefully.

I know I've done some 30-36 hour stints of being awake and haven't had much problem with that, however that's still a whole day less than what we're aiming for.

I will likely be getting the Saturday to recover to start with, and then possibly have an American football game to officiate on the Sunday, but I think that it can still be good to have that, as it requires me to get back into a proper sleep rhythm after being zonked out on the Saturday. Still expect an early evening on the Sunday. :smallwink:

Tyndmyr
2012-07-11, 09:45 AM
IIRC, I slept for 22 hours straight after my longest gaming stint. After that, I felt pretty decent, though. I think my clock was still a bit off from a normal day though, but that went back after a coupla days of adjusting...

Best of luck on your attempt!

Also, I can't help but wonder if there's a record for longest roleplaying session.

factotum
2012-07-11, 04:33 PM
I know I've done some 30-36 hour stints of being awake and haven't had much problem with that, however that's still a whole day less than what we're aiming for.

I think 38 hours or thereabouts is the most I've ever managed (after an All Night Film Show at University I chose to stay awake until as close to my normal bedtime as I could so I wouldn't disrupt my sleep pattern too much)...I really can't imagine doing 24 hours longer than that!

AtlanteanTroll
2012-07-11, 05:16 PM
It's a marathon attempt, basically. they don't let marathon runners switch to bicycles in the middle of the race to break the monotony of running, so we don't get to change games during the attempt.

Yes they do. It's called a triathlon. :smalltongue: *is smacked*

KuReshtin
2012-07-12, 04:08 AM
Yes they do. It's called a triathlon. :smalltongue: *is smacked*

*SMACK*

Then it's not a marathon anymore, silly troll. :smalltongue:

Tvtyrant
2012-07-12, 04:44 AM
Have you considered Twilight Imperium, and then have everyone turtle? You could easily get 30 hours a game that way, since it easily turns into WWI and you can waste endless time doing things like look at technology sheets on your turn.

If you remove Victory Points, that is. Otherwise the game is only a few hours each run.

Elemental
2012-07-12, 05:08 AM
You've got a point there... With the right game and the right manipulations, a game can easily last indefinitely.
Or would the people recording this record not award it if you manipulate things like that?

Killer Angel
2012-07-12, 06:32 AM
Have you considered Twilight Imperium, and then have everyone turtle? You could easily get 30 hours a game that way, since it easily turns into WWI and you can waste endless time doing things like look at technology sheets on your turn.

Alternatively, I would suggest something different.

Option 1: Small World.
What's good: you can have various combo of powers/races, so you'll avoid boring repetitions.
Bad: in the end it's the same basic scenario and every match won't waste so much time... you'll be in full mode immersion almost always, and playing 40 or 50 matches of the same game, can be pretty devastating.

Option 2: Twilight Imp.
What's good: you'll need lot of hours for a single game, and so you'll avoid a too much quick pacing.
Bad: a game too much long and very complex, can be mentally tiring. Very tiring.

Option 3 (my new suggestion): Starcraft (or something with similar characteristics).
Each game will last 2-3 hours: you'll avoid the bad part of games too much short and too much long (Civilization, I'm looking at you).
Developing different tech, you can have everytime different strategies.
The set-up will take some time, randomly choosing planets and placing them... this will have the bonuses of variety in the setting (no fixed map) AND it will give you some time to relax before beginning effectively to play.
When your race isn't directly involved in combat, you can enjoy some mental rest.

Castaras
2012-07-12, 06:54 AM
We haven't decided on whether to use underground as well, but we might well do. Gives a few more options with the races and powers.

If you're going to be doing that many hours, play with Underworld to keep the races varied enough to keep you interested. You can also switch out underworld every now and again to get just the vanilla.

Venser
2012-07-12, 07:03 AM
So...all you have to do is play a boardgame for more than 56 hours?
And you can play as many matches as you want?
Seems easy, but good luck.

KuReshtin
2012-07-12, 09:29 AM
Alternatively, I would suggest something different.

Option 1: Small World.
What's good: you can have various combo of powers/races, so you'll avoid boring repetitions.
Bad: in the end it's the same basic scenario and every match won't waste so much time... you'll be in full mode immersion almost always, and playing 40 or 50 matches of the same game, can be pretty devastating.

This is true that it'll be brutal to play 45-50 games one after the other of the same game. We're hoping that the variation of the powers and races will help out with the monotony.

It also has the added bonus of all players knowing the rules and that means we can get started without getting bogged down with weird rules.

As i said, Small World is the game we are going to go for, and Duncan, who runs the shop we'll be attempting the record has contacted Days of Wonder to see if they'd be interesting to promote the event and maybe donate a bit of money to charity.

Option 2: Twilight Imp.
What's good: you'll need lot of hours for a single game, and so you'll avoid a too much quick pacing.
Bad: a game too much long and very complex, can be mentally tiring. Very tiring.

Never player it, and I'm not sure anyone else in the group has either. This would potentially cause silly game stoppages for checking rules if we're not used to it, and if you say that it's overly complicated to start with, then Small World would be the easier choice.

Option 3 (my new suggestion): Starcraft (or something with similar characteristics).
Each game will last 2-3 hours: you'll avoid the bad part of games too much short and too much long (Civilization, I'm looking at you).
Developing different tech, you can have everytime different strategies.
The set-up will take some time, randomly choosing planets and placing them... this will have the bonuses of variety in the setting (no fixed map) AND it will give you some time to relax before beginning effectively to play.
When your race isn't directly involved in combat, you can enjoy some mental
rest.

The StarCraft board game is one that I have tried playing once, and after 2½ hours of setting up and trying to figure stuff out, we decided to scrap it since it was too broken to figure out.
A few others in the group have made it through a bit, so they should know it, but I think the reset between games could be preventative in the case of StarCraft.

If you're going to be doing that many hours, play with Underworld to keep the races varied enough to keep you interested. You can also switch out underworld every now and again to get just the vanilla.

I'm pretty sure we'll run with Underground and Tunnels, to give us the extra variation of the games.
Also, once we make the selection, we won't be able to mix and match which expansions we play, but must stick to the same one throughout.

So...all you have to do is play a boardgame for more than 56 hours?
And you can play as many matches as you want?
Seems easy, but good luck.

Considering that the 55 hours we're aiming for will take us from Wednesday morning at 9AM until about 4PM Friday afternoon, and that's not taking into account that the rules state that any breaks we take does not count towards our total time (we earn 5 minutes of break after every completed full hour of playing), we're more likely looking at about finishing at around 9-10PM on Friday night.
If you think that'll be easy, please, go right ahead and contact Guinness World Records to try and beat us when we set the record. :smallwink:

According to the information we were sent regarding the attempt, the current record is held by a group of Americans who played 'Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game' for 53 hours 59 minutes.

Killer Angel
2012-07-12, 01:19 PM
This is true that it'll be brutal to play 45-50 games one after the other of the same game. We're hoping that the variation of the powers and races will help out with the monotony.

It also has the added bonus of all players knowing the rules and that means we can get started without getting bogged down with weird rules.

As i said, Small World is the game we are going to go for, and Duncan, who runs the shop we'll be attempting the record has contacted Days of Wonder to see if they'd be interesting to promote the event and maybe donate a bit of money to charity.

Then, the issue is resolved; and an official involvement of DoW would be great! :smallsmile:

grimbold
2012-07-12, 01:31 PM
wait
can you sleep in this time?

Avaris
2012-07-12, 02:32 PM
Can't help but feel Risk Legacy would have been another good choice for this (I think I showed you a copy at the UK meetup?), given that the entire premise of the game is to have the board evolving over the course of a load of games... ah well, good luck!

KuReshtin
2012-07-13, 03:36 AM
wait
can you sleep in this time?
If it's part of a break. Yes.
At the table, playing the game? No.

Can't help but feel Risk Legacy would have been another good choice for this (I think I showed you a copy at the UK meetup?), given that the entire premise of the game is to have the board evolving over the course of a load of games... ah well, good luck!

Yeah, I thought that would have been a very good idea for a game for the record attempt.
We'd already settled on Small World before you showed me it, though. This has been in the works since early June, we just hadn't got the official reply from Guinness before last week, and then we needed to iron some stuff out this week, and that's why the announcement only came this week.

Archonic Energy
2012-07-13, 04:35 AM

I open the "do not open. ever." envelope!

Also Good Luck Ku.
i'll raid the hopstial's neuroscience lab for that expermental no sleep drug they are working on... :smallamused:

Asta Kask
2012-07-13, 05:26 AM
I'd go with classic - chess. You can sit for hours and contemplate a single move.

factotum
2012-07-13, 05:50 AM
I'd go with classic - chess. You can sit for hours and contemplate a single move.

Sitting for hours and contemplating a move after you've been awake for 50+ hours straight, though? Not so much. :smallwink:

grimbold
2012-07-15, 01:08 PM
If it's part of a break. Yes.
At the table, playing the game? No.

pretty hardcore

good luck staying awake!

Ravens_cry
2012-07-15, 01:43 PM
Monopoly?
You won't be friends after though . . .

Asta Kask
2012-07-15, 02:04 PM
Sitting for hours and contemplating a move after you've been awake for 50+ hours straight, though? Not so much. :smallwink:

When you've been awake for 50 hours you don't so much sit and contemplate a move as watch all the pieces doing a conga line and singing the Macarena.

Ok... Diplomacy? Again, the turns can be dragged out into practically infinity.

KuReshtin
2012-07-16, 04:16 AM

That's a two-player game. There's four of us. Also, as I have stated earlier:

We will be playing Small World.

When you've been awake for 50 hours you don't so much sit and contemplate a move as watch all the pieces doing a conga line and singing the Macarena.

Ok... Diplomacy? Again, the turns can be dragged out into practically infinity.

Se above. Also, my personal feeling is that sitting around, 'contemplating your next move' just to drag things out and get the clock running is cheating. The games will be played as if we're playing a regular game. When it's your turn, you get your move down on the board as soon as you can to keep the game flowing.

I actually think that would help keep everyone alert as well, because that means there's no downtime, and you have to keep focused all the time.
if someone drags his turn out for a long time, the others will switch off, and after a day and a half of playing a game, switching off will kill your record attempt.

You want to keep a steady rhythm going.

Killer Angel
2012-07-16, 06:52 AM
Saturday we played Small World. My Wealthy Dwarves, Sorcerers Dragon tamers and Fortified Trolls, ruled the day. :smallbiggrin:

The Succubus
2012-07-16, 07:52 AM

/yoink 10 yoinks

grimbold
2012-07-16, 10:06 AM
Monopoly?
You won't be friends after though . . .

i don't think it's possible to play 2 consecutive games of monopoly much less 15-25

Dallas-Dakota
2012-07-16, 10:18 AM
i don't think it's possible to play 2 consecutive games of monopoly much less 15-25
Possible for normal people. Then again, my family's games of monopoly tend to average of around 50 hours...

Then again, we do play it with a full economy, with double copied contracts of assurances of rent-freezing to buying people.

Tyndmyr
2012-07-16, 03:21 PM

Surely you joke...I've done four games in a row on a boring day. Now, granted, you need to avoid the hell out of the terrible house rules that many people use, and keep it snappy, but that's no great burden.

Ravens_cry
2012-07-16, 03:50 PM
I've been in games of Monopoly with family that lasted several days.

Castaras
2012-07-16, 05:14 PM

Or you end up doing a Macarena-off with your friend to whatever might be playing at the time.

You each do the macarena continously to whatever music is being played. First to stop loses.

He's currently winning 2:1. :smallfrown: :smallannoyed:

edit: I don't understand where all these long games of Monopoly come from. When I played Monopoly with my family it'd only last an hour, maybe two.

tyckspoon
2012-07-16, 06:28 PM
edit: I don't understand where all these long games of Monopoly come from. When I played Monopoly with my family it'd only last an hour, maybe two.

Houserules/ignoring standard rules, mostly. The 'Money taken by the game goes to Free Parking' thing, for example- it gives a way that a weak player can cling to life in the game instead of being knocked out the way they're supposed to. Free Parking is just supposed to be a null square, not a benefit...

Probably the biggest thing that stretches out games pointlessly is not using the auction rules. When somebody lands on an unclaimed property, that property is supposed to be purchased- the player who landed on it gets the first option on it, and can buy it immediately for face value. If they don't want it or can't afford it, a lot of people just leave it unclaimed- the only way properties get bought is when a player lands on it and takes it. That's incorrect. If the property is not purchased the first time somebody lands on it, it's supposed to go to general auction; this puts all the properties in play a lot quicker and gets money moving between players faster, which helps develop winners and losers and ends the game much more rapidly.

Gravitron5000
2012-07-17, 08:08 AM
i don't think it's possible to play 2 consecutive games of monopoly

... without someone getting killed due to murderous rage.

KuReshtin
2012-07-19, 04:26 AM
Quick update:

We have decided to have a collection for charity for the Children's Hospice Association Scotland (http://www.chas.org.uk/) while doing this record attempt.

We are still trying to work out some of the logistics, but we're hoping to try to set up a live feed from the shop where people can watch us sit around for three days.

By pure dumb luck, it also appears that the record attempt coincides with the annual World Boadgaming Championships, and a friend of mine who has signed up for that contacted them and gave them the link to our facebook event (https://www.facebook.com/events/450431761654276/), so hopefully, we can get some interest from that as well.
I'm also tryign to find a few other gaming sites and blogs and podcasters and stuff that maybe would be willing to mention it, so if anyone has any tips on that, please let me know.

Geek & Sundry is definitely one of them.

Archonic Energy
2012-07-19, 04:29 AM
that'll be cool now you'll need to post a justgiving link or something...

i wonder how much flights would cost an august?

KuReshtin
2012-07-19, 04:33 AM
that'll be cool now you'll need to post a justgiving link or something...

i wonder how much flights would cost an august?

We're working on a justgiving link as well.
Flights away from London? Must be dirt cheap during the Olympics.
Going back? Maybe not so much.

We're still needing some volunteers such as time keepers, stewards and witnesses, so if you can make it up here, you could help. :smallbiggrin:

The Succubus
2012-07-19, 04:39 AM
Tempting. I can't see your facebook page atm because I'm at work but I do have a day's annual leave that needs using before the end of September. When's the big event? I'd be happy to go up and offer abuse moral support.

Archonic Energy
2012-07-19, 05:07 AM
We're working on a justgiving link as well.
Flights away from London? Must be dirt cheap during the Olympics.
Going back? Maybe not so much.

We're still needing some volunteers such as time keepers, stewards and witnesses, so if you can make it up here, you could help. :smallbiggrin:

help... i think you mean point and laugh!:smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2012-07-19, 05:09 AM
Tempting. I can't see your facebook page atm because I'm at work but I do have a day's annual leave that needs using before the end of September. When's the big event? I'd be happy to go up and offer abuse moral support.

August 1-3.

Edit:

We've just received a great response from Days of Wonder, the creators of Small World in response to our world record attempt.

Days of Wonder have very kindly offered to make a substantial donation of their fabulous board games to CHAS for use within their hospices.

factotum
2012-07-19, 06:09 AM
Why does Archonic have Ku's avatar? 'tis very confusing... :smallconfused:

The Succubus
2012-07-19, 06:33 AM
Very confusing, isn't it.

Castaras
2012-07-19, 06:37 AM
Little odd, yes.

grimbold
2012-07-19, 07:10 AM
Why does Archonic have Ku's avatar? 'tis very confusing... :smallconfused:

wait what?

this is very unsettling...

KuReshtin
2012-07-19, 08:56 AM
It's ok. You'll get over it. :smallcool:

Archonic Energy
2012-07-19, 11:41 AM
wait what?

this is very unsettling...

are you sure... you don't sound very sure... :smallamused:

to be fair Succ & Cass "got" me earlier i was confused... i still have to check who's who.

Mercenary Pen
2012-07-19, 11:51 AM
i still have to check who's who.

Beware, Tom Baker and Colin Baker are wearing each others avatars.:smallbiggrin:

Dr.Epic
2012-07-19, 11:55 AM
Good luck to you!

enderlord99
2012-07-19, 12:11 PM
If I were doing this, I probably wouldn't play Small World. I'd play Settlers of Catan with every single expansion.

grimbold
2012-07-20, 04:00 AM
are you sure... you don't sound very sure... :smallamused:

can i EVER be sure? Oo

Knaight
2012-07-20, 04:21 AM
If I were doing this, I probably wouldn't play Small World. I'd play Settlers of Catan with every single expansion.

It actually doesn't take that long - even with multiple Traders and Barbarians scenarios going and 6 players a 4 hour game is really long. The only thing I've seen that actually would go long enough was a 30 board Risk monstrosity that was heavily house-ruled by necessity, and while that would work Small World has clearly been decided on.

KuReshtin
2012-07-20, 05:50 AM

I believe that there were a few guys who played Settlers of Catan for about 51 hours to set the record a while back. They were then beat by some other guys playing another game, and now were trying to beat the current record by playing Small World with the Underground expansion and Tunnels to give us a bit more variation.
The reason we went for Small World was because of the variation from game to game.

Edit for added Awesomeness:

http://who-is-awesome.com/who-is-awesome.jpg

Archonic Energy
2012-07-20, 05:56 AM
*cough*

post error thing has hittified so i'm kindly posting here so we can see Ku's awesome news... because he just PM'ed me to ask if i could see his awesome new message and i can't see his awesome new message...

Ku, your last post had better be awesome, i've kinda built it up for you now.

enderlord99
2012-07-20, 11:07 AM
Honestly, not only do I know nothing about Small World, the only thing I know about that Catan thing I mentioned was that it had lots of expansions, each of which made it last longer.

KuReshtin
2012-07-23, 04:01 AM
Honestly, not only do I know nothing about Small World, the only thing I know about that Catan thing I mentioned was that it had lots of expansions, each of which made it last longer.

It doesn't matter if the games take a long time or not. It's the gaming session itself that's the important thing, and that we're only allowed to play one type of game.
The fact that each game, you get a new combination of powers and races makes the game better in my mind, as it doesn't get too repetitive.

For a pretty good introduction (in my mind) to Small World, check out this Table Top episode (http://youtu.be/X9QtdiRJYro).

Deth Muncher
2012-07-23, 04:23 AM
Doho! Something I can help with, methinks! I researched polyphasic sleep a few years ago for a good 6 months on a paper that I wrote, so I think I can get you help that you need to work this effectively and not die.

The big thing to remember here is this: Sleep is important, so you're going to want to be doing this during your breaks. (Though you should find out if going to be the bathroom when it's not your turn constitutes using your break, because if so, you're gonna have a hell of a time dealing with it.)

If you accrue one 5 minute break per hour of gameplay, then what you're probably going to want to do is take a 30 minute nap every 8 hours (which leaves you a spare 10 minutes of time to ease into nodding off/waking up and clearing the grogginess). Also, side note, the hours of 12-3 (am and pm) are the best times to sleep, generally, because your sleep cycles are most in sync then, so you'll get the most restorative sleep. This is assuming you don't need to take official breaks to eat or go to the bathroom.

Also, if you DO nap, you should be sure to have people helping you to come wake you all up. Which reminds me: while I agree you should go on a caffeine hiatus for a while prior, I would recommend staying away from liquid caffeine as much as possible - if you HAVE to drink something with caffeine, go for either green tea or Spike energy drink (Spike's got pretty much the best bang for your buck, clocking in at 300mg/8.5oz). Personally, I'd say invest in some powdered caffeine - I got mine from Blast (just search for Blast caffeine powder) - if it's powdered, you can either add it to food (caffinated pizza, anyone?) or just shake it on your tongue directly. It's bitter, but each shake of the case is about 100mg of caffeine, or slightly more than a can of Red Bull.

If you're wondering where the hell I'm getting all the sleep facts, by the way, look into the research of Claudio Stampi - he's a guy who originally looked into things like this for people doing marathon solo boat races, where falling asleep at the helm could actually kill you if you did it too long. The book is long out of print, but you might be able to find an ebook of his research, or maybe in a university library (I found mine at the University of Richmond library).

If you're wondering where I got my research on caffeine...I'm an English major. I write a lot of papers. Need I say more?

grimbold
2012-07-24, 03:40 AM
that was a VERY interesting post dethmuncher
thankyou!

Deth Muncher
2012-07-25, 04:29 AM
that was a VERY interesting post dethmuncher
thankyou!

Vy tank hyu! Hy gots to be good at sumfink, no?

But really, if it's advice about how to effectively sleep, how to get the most caffeine in your body, how to write a research paper or how to play the euphonium, I've got all the answers you need. Anything else, not so much. /derail

Anyway, best of luck KuReshtin!

KuReshtin
2012-07-25, 05:38 AM
status update:
The guys ran a test on the video recording and streaming last night at the shop, and it looks as if things will go ahead with the streaming during the event.

Two of the guys haven't actually played Small World before, so we'll have a quick run-through with them on Sunday night to get them up to speed on the game and how it's played. And then we're starting things on Wednesday next week.

Only 7 days to go. Getting excited.

Also, we're collecting money for CHAS (Children's Hospice Association Scotland) as well, and we have a JustGiving page (http://www.justgiving.com/Bus-Stop-Toy-Shop) available for that good cause.

rakkoon
2012-07-25, 06:17 AM
Looks very cool, good luck.

We had a radio presenter who presented for 8 days straight over here. He also used lighting as a help. So just before sleep breaks you can start dimming the lights. When you wake up, lots of lights will help you keep awake.

Also, light food, no heavy carbs :smallsmile:

Math_Mage
2012-07-28, 02:37 AM
I can't believe chess was suggested, but go wasn't. :smalltongue:

KuReshtin
2012-07-30, 04:21 AM
This is it. This is the week when I, Ben, Duncan and Sean go for the record.
On Wednesday, we try to break the world record for the longest session of playing a board game.
We're doing it for charity, and we're supporting CHAS (Children's hospice Association Scotland). Please help us out by donating a little something for the good cause.
The donation page is at http://www.justgiving.com/Bus-Stop-Toy-Shop
Any donation is greatly appreciated.

The Succubus
2012-07-30, 05:24 AM
Good luck Ku. I really hope you guys make it.

Killer Angel
2012-08-01, 03:56 AM
So, today is the day...
You won't probably read this 'til it will be all over, but GOOD LUCK!

The Succubus
2012-08-01, 04:33 AM
Good luck Ku and please take good care of yourselves during the attempt.

Archonic Energy
2012-08-01, 04:37 AM
anyone got the site they are streaming it on?
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/formerself00

GOOD LUCK.

Castaras
2012-08-01, 04:43 AM
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/formerself00

For people who want to follow.

Archonic Energy
2012-08-01, 05:14 AM
and they're off...
wish they'd have picked PR. as i'd understand what's happening in game
:smallamused:

now. everyone phone Ku... :smallamused:

Also: why isn't Ku wearing a redshirt? :smallconfused:

Sipex
2012-08-01, 08:15 AM
Good luck guys!

KuReshtin
2012-08-01, 04:51 PM
We're about 12 hours into the attempt now, and We're doing pretty well.
After 9 completed games the standing is:

Ku - 3
Ben - 2
Sean - 3
Duncan - 1

Thanks for all the well wishes guys.

Sipex
2012-08-02, 08:28 AM
Day 2!

This makes me want to play Small World :P

factotum
2012-08-02, 09:09 AM
Bit worrying that there seems to be nobody at the table at the moment... :smallsmile:

Hiro Protagonest
2012-08-02, 07:14 PM
Might be a little late to say this, but maybe you could just play straight for anywhere between 12 and 36 hours, then use all your break time gathered up to sleep? Hopefully someone has an alarm clock and will be able to hear it...

Also, the stream is blurry. I can't figure out what the game looks like.

KuReshtin
2012-08-02, 09:51 PM
Bit worrying that there seems to be nobody at the table at the moment... :smallsmile:
We've been taking breaks here and there for 5 or 10 minutes, but leave the stream open. We did go for a longer break at about 7:20 this afternoon (thursday) to get a shower and frequent up a bit. Might have been then that you checked in.

Might be a little late to say this, but maybe you could just play straight for anywhere between 12 and 36 hours, then use all your break time gathered up to sleep? Hopefully someone has an alarm clock and will be able to hear it...

Also, the stream is blurry. I can't figure out what the game looks like.

We've been doing 4 hour stints to collect 20 minutes of break time and then only taken 5 or 10 minutes to keep a saved pool of break minutes.
After 38 hours, we've got about 90 minutes saved up. We'll see how that will be used as we get closer to the end.

We've got a phone call apparently scheduled with the marketing director at Days of Wonder, who produces Small World, where he wants to talk to us about the record attempt and stuff.
Going to be fun. It'll be at 4am UK time and we'll have been playing for 39 hours. The big question is: will the Americans understand the west Scottish accent during the call? :biggrin:

Killer Angel
2012-08-03, 02:41 AM
Tired faces...
Stand your ground, guys! :smallsmile:

Sipex
2012-08-03, 08:20 AM
Glad to see things are still going! Keep going guys! You're almost there :D

Elemental
2012-08-03, 10:13 AM
We've got a phone call apparently scheduled with the marketing director at Days of Wonder, who produces Small World, where he wants to talk to us about the record attempt and stuff.
Going to be fun. It'll be at 4am UK time and we'll have been playing for 39 hours. The big question is: will the Americans understand the west Scottish accent during the call? :biggrin:

No chance. They'll never understand you.

KuReshtin
2012-08-03, 10:16 AM
Just reached the glorious 50 hour Mark. That means we've only got another 4 hours until we break the record.
Then it's a matter of setting a new record. Setting the bar at its new level for people to try and reach.

Currently, we've finished 36 games and the current standing is:
Ku - 8
Sean - 11
Duncan - 12
Ben - 5

Best news of this marathon session was when we got a phone call from the co-founder of Days of Wonder, the publisher of Small World, where he told us he'd been following our live feed and that they would donate £1000 for CHAS, our charity of choice for the record attempt.
And that's in addition to the batch of games their European division pledged to donate to the hospices directly, for the kids and their families to be able to use.
Can't say enough about how much respect I have for those guys for them to support this record attempt by a bunch of nobodies in Scotland.

The Succubus
2012-08-03, 10:23 AM
Keep going Ku! You're almost home! How are you guys holding up?

Let me know what the final time is and I'll make a donation based on it. :smallsmile:

arguskos
2012-08-03, 12:07 PM
Stay strong guys! You're doing awesome! :D

KuReshtin
2012-08-03, 05:19 PM
So, I'm back home after having played 40 games of Small World back to back for 54 and a half hours, breaking the old world record for marathon playing a board game.

I want to thank everyone who helped us these last few days at the shop, bringing us snacks, meals and drinks, and generally let us boss them around. Without them, it wouldn't have been possible. .
I also want to give another shoutout to Days of Wonder, the publishers of the Small World game. Their European division pledged to send several sets of games to the Children's Hospices that we collected money for, and Mark Kaufmann, co-founder of Days of Wonder, actually called us from California in the middle of the record attempt tp let us know that they would donate a whopping £1000. The whole team behind the record attempt were so moved to hear that.

I also want to thank everyone that has donated money to the great cause of CHAS (Children's Hospice Association Scotland) during the past few days, and even if our record attempt is over, the donation page will still be open for more donations at the following link:
http://www.justgiving.com/Bus-Stop-Toy-Shop

Again, thanks so much for all the well-wishes during the past few days and the morale support through messages on the live feed. You guys kept us going.

Totally Guy
2012-08-03, 05:21 PM
I wonder when we'll find out if it was successful... I'll bet he's gone straight to bed.

Edit: Ninja'd

Congratulations on pulling it off!

KuReshtin
2012-08-04, 05:24 AM
Now, the waiting game is on.

Guinness said that after we send in all the evidence and witness statements and stuff, there will be a 4-6 week process period before we get the official verdict whether they accept that we beat the record or not.

I believe that the new record time is about 54 hours and 45 minutes, but we will have to see when we get the paperwork al sorted.

grimbold
2012-08-04, 08:27 AM
w0000t
nice going Ku!
I am so proud!

KuReshtin
2012-08-04, 10:45 AM
Let me know what the final time is and I'll make a donation based on it. :smallsmile:

Just saw your contribution, Succ. Thank you very much, it's hugely appreciated.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2012-08-04, 10:55 AM
I missed all the thread fun. Sorry buddy that I wasn't there to encourage you, but congrats on the record and also huge props to DoW for donating. What you guys accomplished is magnificent!

The Succubus
2012-08-04, 11:26 AM
Neat - you've almost busted £2000 in donations. Now in the name of all that is holy, get some shut eye!

KuReshtin
2012-08-04, 01:43 PM
Duncan caled me this morning at about 11:30 to say that the Sunday Mail had got wind of the record attempt, and they wanted to send a guy out to take some pictures of us. So at 1:30pm, I was back at the shop for that, and it looks as if we'll be in a national newspaper tomorrow.

Also, the Days of Wonder website had some info about the attempt that I haven't linked before..
http://blog.daysofwonder.com/2012/08/01/small-world-world-record-attempt-54-hours-of-trolls-wizards-elves/

Also mentioned on BoardGameGeek:
http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/12304/links-making-professional-prototypes-playing-small

The local weekly newspaper also mentioned us:
http://www.largsandmillportnews.com/news/largs/articles/2012/08/01/432925-round-the-clock-bid-for-guinness-world-record/

factotum
2012-08-05, 01:16 AM
Let's hope you get a flood of donations after the Mail article goes up! Congrats on achieving the target...

grimbold
2012-08-05, 04:37 PM
wow! nice going Ku!

Creed
2012-08-05, 10:19 PM
Amazing, great job.

However, by knowing that this record exists, you only make me want to challenge your reign.:smalltongue:

Elemental
2012-08-06, 01:25 AM
Congratulations on gaining your record.
Just, you know... Avoid heavy machinery for a bit.

Killer Angel
2012-08-06, 02:47 AM
So, I'm back home after having played 40 games of Small World back to back for 54 and a half hours, breaking the old world record for marathon playing a board game.

Congratulations!
This is awesome and amazing. :smallsmile:

Best news of this marathon session was when we got a phone call from the co-founder of Days of Wonder, the publisher of Small World, where he told us he'd been following our live feed and that they would donate £1000 for CHAS, our charity of choice for the record attempt.

Also this, is awesome and amazing. :smallwink:

grimbold
2012-08-06, 04:46 AM
Amazing, great job.

However, by knowing that this record exists, you only make me want to challenge your reign.:smalltongue:

thats what i was thinking >.>

KuReshtin
2012-08-06, 04:55 AM
Amazing, great job.

thats what i was thinking >.>

You are both welcome to try to beat the record.
If you do, then fair play to you.
I won't want to try it again.

Archonic Energy
2012-08-06, 05:36 AM

please, i wanted to start a record attempt 30 minutes after they started theirs so all we'd have to do is last an hour longer than Ku & co could... :smallamused:

The Succubus
2012-08-06, 05:39 AM
Yes, but that's because you're evil in human form, Archie.

grimbold
2012-08-06, 07:02 AM
please, i wanted to start a record attempt 30 minutes after they started theirs so all we'd have to do is last an hour longer than Ku & co could... :smallamused:
i really want to know how Ku did staying awake for 56 hours

i think i could do it.. but my record is 26 hours awake...but with red bull anything is possible

KuReshtin
2012-08-06, 07:42 AM
Staying awake wasn't actually too bad.
There were a few periods when I started falling sleep, but I think a whole lot of that was due to the other guys taking a pretty long time getting through their moves, so I didn't have anything else to occupy my brain with, and so started dozing off.

The worst time slots for that was probably around between 8-10am on both Thursday morning and Friday morning.

on Thursday night, we decided to take an extend3ed break so we could head off and get freshened up a bit. I headed home to get a shower and a change of clothes, and that helped a whole lot to get me feeling alert again.

I only had two cans of mountain dew during the attempt, and both of those were consumed during the Friday afternoon and evening.

I found that as long as I kept my mind working and active, it wasn't too bad. Of course, I had such a massive adrenaline crash after I got home on Friday night, that I can't even remember taking my glasses off and closing the laptop screen after having posted the lengthy thank-you message. next thing I remember after that, it was 9am Saturday morning, and I woke up on the couch in front of the TV. :smallbiggrin:

Tyndmyr
2012-08-06, 10:00 AM
Amazing, great job.

Likewise...but seriously, a Giantitp wave of guinness attempts would be epic!

TheFallenOne
2012-08-06, 10:45 AM
is there a record for the longest RPG session? Or would it count as a boardgame if you use miniatures? With a prepared module and spare characters I think a decent time can be pulled off...

KuReshtin
2012-08-06, 10:56 AM
is there a record for the longest RPG session? Or would it count as a boardgame if you use miniatures? With a prepared module and spare characters I think a decent time can be pulled off...

I believe there is a record for the longest RPG session. I haven't looked it up, but apparently, the longest RPG session is about 100 hours or something.
i'm not completely sure, though. It was what was told to me.

Archonic Energy
2012-08-06, 04:42 PM
Yes, but that's because you're evil in human form, Archie.

this coming from a always evil creature... i'm impressed!
:smallamused:
oh and *yoink*

grimbold
2012-08-08, 09:20 AM
I believe there is a record for the longest RPG session. I haven't looked it up, but apparently, the longest RPG session is about 100 hours or something.
i'm not completely sure, though. It was what was told to me.

that seems... un holy...:smalleek:

TheFallenOne
2012-08-08, 11:22 AM
I don't think that number is accurate, and Kureshtin seemed rather unsure of it. 100 hours is about the record for longest video game marathon. (http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/9000/longest-video-games-marathon) Anyway, I don't see why an RPG should have a two times as long record as board games when both are very similar in the basics. If you use battle maps the encounters basically are a board game.

rakkoon
2012-08-09, 06:15 AM
Congrats Ku!

Your record is safe from me anyway,never been awake for longer than 24 hours I think.

So how long will you NOT be playing this game?

KuReshtin
2012-08-09, 06:17 AM
Congrats Ku!

Your record is safe from me anyway,never been awake for longer than 24 hours I think.

So how long will you NOT be playing this game?

Thanks. :smallsmile:

I'd be up for playing a game of Small World today, if there was anyone wanting to play. I didn't get bored with it at all.

Castaras
2012-08-09, 08:51 AM
Y'know, the "boardgame" I'd like to see people play on sleep deprivation is Ugg-Tect (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/60131/ugg-tect). Would be hilarious to see the grunting and waving of arms about and hitting with clubs.

KuReshtin
2012-08-09, 08:56 AM
Y'know, the "boardgame" I'd like to see people play on sleep deprivation is Ugg-Tect (http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/60131/ugg-tect). Would be hilarious to see the grunting and waving of arms about and hitting with clubs.

I agree. That would be absolutely legen.....

wait for it....

DARY!

Archonic Energy
2012-08-10, 05:55 AM
so... has it been made offical yet?

KuReshtin
2012-08-10, 06:10 AM
No.
It's a 4-6 week processing period after we've submitted all the evidence. So we won't get any word about it for another month or so.

And there might be another fly in the ointment as well.
Seems there was another attempt to break the record in early June, where there were a couple of guys who played a game called Stat-o-Rama for about 60 hours. Guinness hasn't accepted their claim yet, but we don't know if it's still processing or if it's been rejected. if it's still in processing and is accepted, then we won't get the record at all. :smallmad:

Good thing is that it's been almost 8 weeks since their attempt and no word has been given on their record yet, so it may be a good sign.

The Succubus
2012-08-10, 06:12 AM
But to look on the bright side, you probably have the UK record and there's a bunch of kids in Scotland whose lives are a little brighter for your attempt. :smallsmile:

factotum
2012-08-10, 06:30 AM
Seems there was another attempt to break the record in early June, where there were a couple of guys who played a game called Stat-o-Rama for about 60 hours. Guinness hasn't accepted their claim yet, but we don't know if it's still processing or if it's been rejected.

If you'd known about that in advance, would you have been able to make the extra 6 hours or so to surpass their time as well?

KuReshtin
2012-08-10, 08:12 AM
But to look on the bright side, you probably have the UK record and there's a bunch of kids in Scotland whose lives are a little brighter for your attempt. :smallsmile:

I'm actually not too worried about the record. it would be cool if we got it, but if we don't then that's ok as well.

If you'd known about that in advance, would you have been able to make the extra 6 hours or so to surpass their time as well?

I don't think we would have been able to do that.
However, in the stories of them playing for 61 hours, there are some things that don't really add up, such as they starting on the Thursday and finishing on the Saturday, which would be difficult to do since we started at 11am on the Wednesday and finished at about 10PM on the Friday night, and only managed 54 hours, and that was with us having about an hour's worth of banked breaks.

I don't know, though. I'm just happy I don't have to do it again.

Knaight
2012-08-10, 01:12 PM
However, in the stories of them playing for 61 hours, there are some things that don't really add up, such as they starting on the Thursday and finishing on the Saturday, which would be difficult to do since we started at 11am on the Wednesday and finished at about 10PM on the Friday night, and only managed 54 hours, and that was with us having about an hour's worth of banked breaks.

If they start just after midnight Wednesday, they end at noon Saturday. That gives them 12 hours in which to fit in a later starting time, breaks, etc.

grimbold
2012-08-10, 04:37 PM
oh dear
ku, in my heart YOU are the champion :P

KuReshtin
2012-08-15, 01:59 PM
Here are some photos from our World Record Attempt to play Small World for 54+ hours..

The four combatants at the start of the record attempt, looking all cheerful and positive:

Me:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_PfSF2t1k-o/UCvqcb76EYI/AAAAAAAAAeM/iUTM3AK8wIM/s400/DSCF0143.JPG

Sean:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-ncWtD5IwENM/UCvqTLoB90I/AAAAAAAAAeA/gk6l_pjvOX4/s400/DSCF0141.JPG

Ben:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-12cmKOwhyaM/UCvqbxy80dI/AAAAAAAAAeI/tk-gK0lgusA/s400/DSCF0142.JPG

Duncan:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-CyXOowy4k6I/UCvqjyRYuhI/AAAAAAAAAec/JyYzwrH7fVw/s400/DSCF0144.JPG

Pictures from different stages of the record attempt:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-o60-ValVmWA/UCvrRtMTqOI/AAAAAAAAAek/M2Z7uvGNXuw/s400/DSCF0188.JPG
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-lQqAu12i7w0/UCvraiNMEeI/AAAAAAAAAes/aupR9vhC9Mw/s400/DSCF0197.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0TLG7zzgszI/UCvsK4CQPsI/AAAAAAAAAf0/nCa0-iuTOYU/s400/DSCF0213.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-1RB8_tzhzTk/UCvsB7H00SI/AAAAAAAAAfk/ziGeh9qlM4k/s400/DSCF0210.JPG

Scoreboard after 46 hours:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-4WNof902ZgM/UCvr6T-vd9I/AAAAAAAAAfc/5OvfNan0dlA/s640/DSCF0205.JPG

The gang at the end, after completion of 54 hours and 45 minutes of game play:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-q8SL7q1rsw8/UCvsUPQ1WQI/AAAAAAAAAgA/RfQaDN6nI8M/s640/DSCF0220.JPG

factotum
2012-08-15, 03:48 PM
The expression of the guy in the right in the last picture is definitely "If you delay me any more from my bed I will KILL YOU!". :smallbiggrin:

noparlpf
2012-08-16, 06:43 AM
not really.. i got to the point where i got annoyed with some of my opponents for taking too long to make their moves. That's a definite killer when you're doing a marathon session. If it takes took long between your turns, your mind starts to shut down, and you start falling asleep. Not good.

And, to prevent hijacking this thread, I'd suggest we take any further discussion of the record attempt to the record attempt thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249146). :smallwink:

Yeah, shutting down from exhaustion is bad. The longest games I've played were late-night Monopoly (around 4-5 hours), late-night Risk (3-5 hours), and late-night Catan (only about 2-3 hours, but I ended up losing my soul).

KuReshtin
2012-08-16, 07:22 AM
Yeah, shutting down from exhaustion is bad. The longest games I've played were late-night Monopoly (around 4-5 hours), late-night Risk (3-5 hours), and late-night Catan (only about 2-3 hours, but I ended up losing my soul).

Yeah, those long games will suck your soul away and throw it into a mincer.

That's what's good about Small World. Any given game only lasts about an hour to an hour and a half or so.

The guys who held the record before it was broken last year played Catan for 50 hours. Apparently, they only got through something like 12 games of Catan in 50 hours, which I find a bit weird. Catan usually don't take 5 hours to play, does it?

noparlpf
2012-08-16, 07:23 AM
Yeah, those long games will suck your soul away and throw it into a mincer.

That's what's good about Small World. Any given game only lasts about an hour to an hour and a half or so.

The guys who held the record before it was broken last year played Catan for 50 hours. Apparently, they only got through something like 12 games of Catan in 50 hours, which I find a bit weird. Catan usually don't take 5 hours to play, does it?

Maybe they were playing the expanded version with six people and playing to sixteen points? That makes it take longer.

No, I mean I traded my soul for a sheep.

Archonic Energy
2012-08-16, 07:25 AM
i wonder if after 50 hrs the "i have wood for sheep" jokes get old or do they get funnier :smallconfused:

KuReshtin
2012-08-16, 07:29 AM
Maybe they were playing the expanded version with six people and playing to sixteen points? That makes it take longer.

No, I mean I traded my soul for a sheep.

I got two souls traded to me for a pair of dice once.

Seems that the Catan record was played by six guys, playing Catan: Cities and Knights. 12 completed games and partially through 13th game when they called it after 50 hours.

Then again, it doesn't matter, cause the current one as given to us by Guinness was for 53 hours and 59 minutes.

i wonder if after 50 hrs the "i have wood for sheep" jokes get old or do they get funnier :smallconfused:

Reference... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEq-0inAWzk)

grimbold
2012-08-16, 02:09 PM
The expression of the guy in the right in the last picture is definitely "If you delay me any more from my bed I will KILL YOU!". :smallbiggrin:

heheh
this is EXACTLY what i thought upon seeing it

how did you guys stay awake?

KuReshtin
2012-08-16, 06:06 PM
heheh
this is EXACTLY what i thought upon seeing it

how did you guys stay awake?

We had a great support team that kept us company, and there were only a few times at about 8-9am on Thursday and Friday mornings that I hit the wall and really struggled, but once I'd got past that, I was feeling fine again.

grimbold
2012-08-20, 03:21 AM
wow
that is very impressive to say the least

KuReshtin
2012-08-31, 07:33 AM
Just spotted this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYY9EEueqVY) from Geek and Sundry from the event they co-hosted with Days of Wonder at the same time we did our record attempt.

I'm in the video! :biggrin: Only for about 2 seconds in the background, but still.
They really did have our live stream up on the big screens during their event. How cool is that?

grimbold
2012-09-01, 06:16 AM
thats pretty darn spectacular :D

Weimann
2012-11-15, 05:25 PM
Hey, why didn't I see this thread until now? Are there any more news on this?

KuReshtin
2012-11-15, 07:31 PM
Hey, why didn't I see this thread until now? Are there any more news on this?

Likely bordering thread Necromancy, but so far, the conversion of the 60+ hours of video was slow going, and so caused a delay in the sending of all the evidence.
Still no more updates.

KuReshtin
2012-11-21, 06:13 AM
Final update:

We're NOT the world record holders.

There was another record attempt before ours that I mentioned earlier in the thread, where they hadn't been officially accepted as the record holders at the time of our attempt, where they played for 61 hours. That record has now been accepted by Guinness, and therefore, our 54 hours 45 minutes falls well short of the mark.

Good thing is that we raised a heap of cash for the charity of our choice, and they also got a few board games from Days of Wonder, so it's all good anyway.

Thanks for everyone who supported us and donated for the charity during our record attempt.

The Succubus
2012-11-21, 06:16 AM
A shame but a fantastic effort though. :smallsmile:

Socratov
2012-11-21, 09:10 AM
Final update:

There was another record attempt before ours that I mentioned earlier in the thread, where they hadn't been officially accepted as the record holders at the time of our attempt, where they played for 61 hours. That record has now been accepted by Guinness, and therefore, our 54 hours 45 minutes falls well short of the mark.

Good thing is that we raised a heap of cash for the charity of our choice, and they also got a few board games from Days of Wonder, so it's all good anyway.

Thanks for everyone who supported us and donated for the charity during our record attempt.

tough luck. so when is the retry?

And then I'd suggest monopoly with some modified rules (to speed up and draw out play): no interest on loans, houses refund full buyers value, no giving up: you are bankrupt when every one of your assets has been loaned against and you are insovable.

this is easily done over the course of 3 days (my brother and I even reached 5 where we would jsut shove millions to each other in a game where the highest bill is 50.000, eventually we settled over a draw). Your firendship might take a beating though :smallbiggrin:

The Succubus
2012-11-21, 09:14 AM
tough luck. so when is the retry?

And then I'd suggest monopoly with some modified rules (to speed up and draw out play): no interest on loans, houses refund full buyers value, no giving up: you are bankrupt when every one of your assets has been loaned against and you are insovable.

this is easily done over the course of 3 days (my brother and I even reached 5 where we would jsut shove millions to each other in a game where the highest bill is 50.000, eventually we settled over a draw). Your firendship might take a beating though :smallbiggrin:

I think a three day game of Monopoly would be my idea of Hell. We always play it a Christmas and then what happens is it turns into a bloody great arguement over Park Lane & Mayfair before someone storms off in a sulk and everyone else loses the will to live.

I'm going to get my family to play Eminent Domain or Munchkin instead this year.

Socratov
2012-11-21, 09:48 AM
I think a three day game of Monopoly would be my idea of Hell. We always play it a Christmas and then what happens is it turns into a bloody great arguement over Park Lane & Mayfair before someone storms off in a sulk and everyone else loses the will to live.

I'm going to get my family to play Eminent Domain or Munchkin instead this year.

I thought thsoe were awesome as well, but then I encountered the combination of 2 connected streets (purple+orange, orange+red, red+yellow, yellow+green). that is just awful and there is no escape (plus they are not that expensive to build)

noparlpf
2012-11-21, 12:53 PM
Aww man. Sorry to hear you didn't make it. Great effort, though.

I thought those were awesome as well, but then I encountered the combination of 2 connected streets (purple+orange, orange+red, red+yellow, yellow+green). that is just awful and there is no escape (plus they are not that expensive to build)

What's really awful is when somebody gets control of most of the board and just sells houses behind the other guys and builds them up in front of them every turn.
Yeah, I've been that ass.

I think my brother got a couple of the Munchkin expansion sets while I've been at school. So that should be neat.

KuReshtin
2012-11-21, 03:04 PM
Any attempt to break the record has to be made by the official rules, so no house rules are allowed. It also has to be 'in the spirit of the game', so you can't sit around and take the proverbial urine just to draw out the turns of people to mmilk the clock.
Because of that, a game that offers change every time you play, such as Small World, Settlers of Catan or Last Night on Earth are perfect, since there is variations of the game each time you reset.

As for a retry for the record. We're not sure. Maybe it'll happen. Maybe not.

Killer Angel
2012-11-22, 02:51 AM
Final update:

Ouch. :smallfrown:

As for a retry for the record. We're not sure. Maybe it'll happen. Maybe not.

>61 hours is a huge amount of time...