PDA

View Full Version : [PF] How I Witch

MikolasTheAngry
2012-07-11, 09:51 AM
Hi!

I'm going to be playing a Kitsune Witch in an upcoming Pathfinder game. Because I think the flavor of a kitsune (at least, ignoring the given information from Pathfinder and trying to draw from actual mythology anyhow) witch works out fantastically. Sort-of-evil malicious trickster/mystic woman thing.

Fluff's not why I'm here though!

I've read the Witch guides I can find around on the forums and what have you. And they outline the Witch stuff really well! Except this is going from first level, so I can't just grab Split Hex and go nuts right off the bat.

So... What are some ways to eke out as much mileage from the first measly levels? The guides are good references for what things are traps such but aside from say, Cackle and rolling Hex of Fortune and Evil Eye on people, I'm not really aware of any peculiar quirks of feats/class ability/spell interactions to make my foes wish they weren't, well, my foes.

Or just share amusing stories involving any witches in games you have. I'm easy.

Corlindale
2012-07-11, 10:13 AM
Slumber Hex is amazingly good, and will most likely give you a relevant way to contribute in most combats - and you can do it all day long. Immunities are an issue, but they are usually not that common at early levels barring an undead-heavy campaign. I GM'd for a witch for a while, and I cannot tell you how many times his slumber hex trivialized what would otherwise have been really tough fights.

Ill Omen is a fantastic 1st level spell - good for combo usage with other casters (have them delay until after you, throw ill fortune and have them throw a save-or-die effect). Later on, with quicken, you can use it for setting up your own spells and powers. For this reason alone I actually think grabbing Magical Lineage (Ill Omen) could be a pretty nice choice.

EDIT: Later on, if you combine Ill Omen with Persistent Spell metamagic, you can force an enemy to roll 4 times against your save-or-die spells. Now that's something that would make them wish they weren't your enemies :smallsmile:

Don't know much about which patrons are best, though the one that gives you all the Shadow Conjuration/Evocation spells seems pretty solid for expanding your options beyond the witch spell list.

If you like to play healing/support, remember that your familiar can deliver touch spells. Very nice if you have a fast/flying familiar, so you can heal an ally far away without getting yourself too much into harms way (or just to preserve that move action to Cackle).

Amoren
2012-07-11, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I feel the same way about the Pathfinder kitsune. I wish they had decided to draw more from the mythology they come from, rather than turn them into fox-humans who turn into humans. In my opinion, 3.5's hengeyokai are at least closer to the mythos - with them at least starting as animal shapeshifters (even if their true form is likely their hybrid state).

As for the witch stuff, not sure. But I wish you luck with it! :D

MikolasTheAngry
2012-07-11, 10:41 AM
Oh, good suggestions Corlindale. I'd forgotten about slumber hex. AND Ill Omen as a matter of fact.

Fun! I'm going on a limb here and assuming Extra Hex is likely a good first feat.

Corlindale
2012-07-11, 10:49 AM
Extra Hex is indeed a very nice 1st level feat, there are quite a few nice hexes on the list - certainly enough to justify taking Extra Hex once, possibly more if you can spare the feats.

Also, you probably want the flying hex eventually, though it can wait until it starts granting actual flight.

QuidEst
2012-07-11, 10:58 AM
If you're playing a Kitsune, you should ask the party to save you the liver from something you take down. XP More of a one-off joke rather than a character trait, though.

This is more flavor stuff than optimization, but Unnerve Beast seems like the sort of trickster-ish thing to put on somebody (especially with Feral Speech), and Prehensile Hair works rather nicely with a tail.

MikolasTheAngry
2012-07-11, 11:28 AM
If you're playing a Kitsune, you should ask the party to save you the liver from something you take down. XP More of a one-off joke rather than a character trait, though.

This is more flavor stuff than optimization, but Unnerve Beast seems like the sort of trickster-ish thing to put on somebody (especially with Feral Speech), and Prehensile Hair works rather nicely with a tail.

Ahah. Yes. Doing the liver bit, definitely. Heavily considering taking Cook People anyway...

As for Prehensile Hair, that's another one I'd considered. I saw something about using it to deliver silly-ranged Touch spells to allies. Things further down the road though. Maybe I'll save the liver remark for the first "worthy" thing we take down. Or see if the DM will let me refluff Blood Transcription to be 'eat the liver of' rather than 'consume a pint of blood from' a spellcaster.

jmelesky
2012-07-11, 11:43 AM
Don't forget the Misfortune/Cackle hex combo. It's not as save-or-die as Slumber, but it's a crippling debuff.

MikolasTheAngry
2012-07-11, 12:56 PM
Don't forget the Misfortune/Cackle hex combo. It's not as save-or-die as Slumber, but it's a crippling debuff.

Oh, certainly. The hard part is deciding what hexes to pick at first level. But that'll be happening at some point. That combo, plus Ill Omen should make something's life a dice-rolling hell.

I'm glad this game is online. This is starting to sound like the DM would need a whole bucket of d20s.

(edit: typos)

Novawurmson
2012-07-11, 01:40 PM
Cackle is quite excellent if you've got a front line that enemies won't be breaking: standard action: Hex or spell, move action: cackle.

Arbane
2012-07-11, 01:48 PM
As was mentioned, Prehensile Hair and the Reach Spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats/reach-spell-metamagic) feat are good for getting less-risky use of touch spells, and witches DO have some fun ones.

The Chill Touch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/chill-touch) spell is one of the few save-or-suck abilities witches have that will work on undead, so it might be worth taking.

The Vomit Swarm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/v/vomit-swarm) spell is gross, bizarre, and highly effective.

I'd recommend picking a familiar that either can fly or can hide in a pocket - you want to keep your furry spellbook OUT of the line of fire.

I do recommend taking Extra Hex - there's a lot of fun hexes. I went a little nuts with it as a Human Witch, and had 4 hexes at level 2. :smallsmile:

Definitely plan on grabbing the Fly hex at level 5, if not sooner. (Free feather fall all day long can be fun!)

Crasical
2012-07-11, 04:51 PM
Poison Riceballs with Poison Steep + Beguiling Gift? Though It gives the target a -ton- of opportunities to save out of it, so it's probably pretty useless as an actual battle tactic. Kind of nifty though.

QuidEst
2012-07-11, 05:19 PM
Ahah. Yes. Doing the liver bit, definitely. Heavily considering taking Cook People anyway...

As for Prehensile Hair, that's another one I'd considered. I saw something about using it to deliver silly-ranged Touch spells to allies. Things further down the road though. Maybe I'll save the liver remark for the first "worthy" thing we take down. Or see if the DM will let me refluff Blood Transcription to be 'eat the liver of' rather than 'consume a pint of blood from' a spellcaster.

Great minds think alike- I was considering the Blood Transcription "liver transplant" myself. :smallbiggrin:

If I were in your position, I'd probably ask the DM if I could "trade in" the Sleep Hex (which is great, but pretty OP) for tweaking of something currently pretty much useless- Charm, for instance. A little duration on it would be nice.

As for touch spells… Fleshworm Infestation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/fleshworm-infestation) is a brutal one.