PDA

View Full Version : Commoner Terence

Sliver
2012-07-11, 02:39 PM
It's a fine day, the sky is clear, the breeze is pleasant and the warm rays of the late morning sun creep into the streets.

Terence sits on a stone bench, looking into the street for potential victims around the stalls. The other day, Terence has met a few younger boys living in the street living off just like he did a few years back and found that they could be rather skilled if found the right guide. They waited for him, hoping for the right signal.

Terence notices a couple of the city guards patrolling through the mob, but they could easily be distracted with little creativity. One of the stalls carries jewelry, a couple have exotic meats or fruits and vegetables, with a few offering different fabrics, furs and clothing.

A street performer is attempting to gather a crowd and start a show with his group, which seems to attract one of the guards' attention and interest.

NinjaTBB
2012-07-11, 03:10 PM
Terence sits on the bench for a moment longer, contemplating his options. The inexperience of these young boys could prove to be their downfall so a better distraction would be better. If he were to initiate a chase he could lead away a decent number of guards, but then his face might become recognized or remembered later. On the other hand, if he were to heckle the street performers it might prove to be a better distraction.

He got up and walked toward the crowd, having made his decision. He waited for a few more minutes as the street performers began. As soon as the crowd was engaged in the act he gave the signal to the boys and let out the insults.

"Is this what passes for entertainment these days? I've seen cattle with more showmanship than you!" As he shouted he glanced around at the guards to see if their attention shifted to him. Then for a second he glanced back to see if the boys had gone.

Sliver
2012-07-11, 03:46 PM
"Well sir," One of the jugglers stops and exclaims, "I have seen showmanship with more cattle than you!"

The crowd stares at the juggler, confused by his claim. Even the guard that didn't care for the show turns at that statement.

The second juggler pushes the first aside, "How dare you insult our act when you have a single refined or artful bone in your body, with such mediocre insults!"

You notice the kids scatter as both guards approach towards you.

NinjaTBB
2012-07-11, 04:06 PM
Terence advances to the juggler with a confidence in his stride. "If you will, good sir." He extends his hand taking the juggling balls. "This is how it's done."

[roll0] to juggle

As soon as the guards get uncomfortably close he returns the balls to the juggler. "I hope you were watching as I will not be doing that again" he says as he turns and runs off into the city easily evading the guards (40 ft movement speed) and hiding in an alley.

Sliver
2012-07-12, 03:48 AM
The juggler's face turns red as the crowd cheers for you. He fumbles around and drops a few of the balls as you hand them to him and the crowd parts as they watch you vanish, the guards do not follow.

The kids show up slightly behind you. One carries a long rolled up piece of white fabric, seems quite high quality, another has a sack full some odd looking fruit and vegetables, likely from the exotic stand and another has a few purses. They look around, and suddenly they get very upset.

"Where's Gob?" Asks one of the kids. "I think he was caught!" One of the kids suddenly exclaims, being shushed down by the third.

"Please, Mentor! You must do something! You will help him, right?" Begs the third kid.

NinjaTBB
2012-07-12, 11:30 AM
A smile crosses his face as the youths arrive with their spoils. The smile quickly fades to an expression of slight frustration as they reveal that one of their own was unaccounted for.

"First and foremost find somewhere to hide, we don't want you three to befall the same fate as Gob. Where was he last seen? I'll find him."

He gestures them further into the alley and sprints back to the stalls. "3 out of 4 is good enough for me, this Gob seems to have an unluckiness about him."

When he arrives in the area he quickly searches the area for Gob. [roll0] search

Sliver
2012-07-12, 01:11 PM
The kids scurry away deeper into the alley as Terence turns back. It doesn't take great effort to locate Gob, as he notices the kid has become quite an attraction.

It appears that Gob tried to steal from a target way over his head, as the jewelery merchant appears to be shouting at the boy, while a buffed up man in a chain shirt with a long sword strapped to his waist has a firm grip of Gob by his arm.

NinjaTBB
2012-07-12, 01:22 PM
He walks into the group striving to get to talking position with the merchant. "Hey, what are you doing here?!" he shouts sternly at Gob. "Mother is worried sick! What would she say if she knew what you were doing?!" He turns to the merchant. "I'm so sorry sir. I hope he hasn't damaged anything?"

Bluff Check if it applies
[roll0]

Sliver
2012-07-12, 01:39 PM
"Hasn't damaged anything?" The merchant exclaims in anger "That bastard tried to steal from me! Where I come, he deserves more than light beating!" He says and growls at the guards, who seem to turn away at the right moment and pretend to be unaware to what is going on. "Unless you have something else in mind..." The man says as he places his hand over a curved short sword resting in it's waist strap.

NinjaTBB
2012-07-12, 01:47 PM
"But he didn't steal anything, he didn't damage anything. I'm sure this experience will scare him out of doing it again." He turns to Gob. "And if not that, the punishment mom will give him certainly will." He puts a hand on Gob's shoulder. "So how about it?"

Sliver
2012-07-13, 01:38 AM
The mercenary pulls Gob away from you as it seems your words merely annoyed the merchant.

"So because he didn't actually manage to steal something, he shouldn't be punished by my hand?" The merchant asks, his eyebrow arches with puzzlement. "No, I do not think this is fair." He says as his sword slides across Gob's cheek, not breaking skin. That is, until he twists it a bit, scratching Gob's cheek and drawing a drop of blood, making Gob flinch, his eyes turn from the long knife by his cheek to you, scared and begging.

NinjaTBB
2012-07-13, 02:26 AM
"He's also a child, children deserve more mercy than adults. Especially in such a case as this where no harm has befallen you or your merchandise."

Sliver
2012-07-13, 02:44 AM
"Bah, nonsense!" The merchant exclaims. "This is exactly the point where you need to teach them some hard lessons."

You can see you aren't really getting to him.

NinjaTBB
2012-07-13, 02:48 AM
"Fine, what's the price of his crime?"

"This better work, I'm almost out of options."

Sliver
2012-07-13, 01:12 PM
The merchant finally smiles, that is what he wanted to hear. "Ah, well... I could get some handsome amount of coin if I'd just sell this kid." He says, but you both notice that the guards turned to look at you at that statement, and the merchant shuffles about, "But the kid isn't worth the hassle. Two silver coins and I'm ready to forget this ordeal ever happened."

NinjaTBB
2012-07-13, 01:22 PM
He reaches into his coin pouch and pulls out two silver coins. Reluctantly, he drops them into the merchant's hand. He turns to Gob, "Come along now, let's treat that scratch."

He walks off back to the alley where he left the other children. He harshly, yet softly scolds Gob the whole way back. Pointing out the reasons he failed and how he could've gotten out of it.

When he gets to the alley he confronts the rest of the children. "Now that you have the goods, the next step is finding a fence, someone who can sell less-than-legal items without question." He motions to the cloth and fruit. He then turns to the child with the purses. "You have a doubly profitable situation, as you can take the contents of the purses and then fence the purses themselves." He quickly looks over his shoulder. "The problem with fences is that they tend to stay mobile, so finding one is always a challenge. I can't simply bring you to one, you'll have to find one yourself. Refrain from revealing questions, and if you can sneak in questions such as 'A friend of mine wants to know...' without being suspicious, that's a bonus. Also, should be rather obvious but just to be sure; conceal the goods on your person or hide them very well elsewhere. Until they enter the possession of the fence, these goods are a liability. Godspeed and best of luck, I'll watch you from a distance." He then exits the alley and mingles into the crowds.

Sliver
2012-07-14, 12:22 AM
The kids nod, gulping every word, and then split as you leave the alley.

It is pretty clear that you should avoid the stands for the time being, as after that little show with the merchant and the jugglers, when people start noticing that something was stolen, you are going to be a suspect.

It is near noon, some businesses are getting ready for lunch, others eat it only in a few hours. Some eat at their homes, some close shop and go to the nearby inn.

What do you do?

NinjaTBB
2012-07-14, 08:09 AM
He joins one of the crowds heading to the inn trying to blend in. When he reaches the inn he looks around for anything or anyone of note.

Sliver
2012-07-14, 02:23 PM
Terence comes upon Helga's Bar, one of the finest taverns in Mohora, owned by Tyrra Helga, a woman who could put some of the finest guard members to shame. As an avid art collector, the place shows her nature, with some magnificent work displayed on the walls.

Perhaps this is what attracts some of the patrons currently sitting around. Cowryn Ballard, one of the city's strongest fighters, commonly aids with the toughest problems frequents the tavern, even though he never drinks alcohol, sits along with Maeve Caldalin, an elven druid.

Hervor Saletta, a gladiator when not drinking, is drowsy at best, when sober, sits alongside Beyla Hollding, a dwarven partner in battle who appears repel anyone with a nose.

The entertainment at the tavern is constantly provided by a pair of bards. A quite unique pair at that. The never drinking dwarf, Eja Hlotreid. She plays the lute and stands next to her young follower, Changel Felt, a tall and optimistic woman that likes singing very much. Currently, they are performing a piece called The Blood-soaked Bridge.

It is at least a hour before lunch, so the staff consists of a single barkeep, a cook, and two barmaids, a human and an elf. Helga's Bar is known for only hiring females too...

NinjaTBB
2012-07-14, 08:27 PM
He walks about the tavern looking at the various art objects, mentally noting this as a possible spot to rob...someday.

He then makes his way to the far end of the bar claiming the furthest available seat. He motions to the nearest barmaid. "What's the price of a chalice of wine in here?"

Sliver
2012-07-15, 06:08 AM
Flayla, an elven barmaid with an extremely long mail approaches. "We have quite a large selection and it depends on your taste and cheapness." She smiles as she shows you the wine section in the menu.

Wine, Table - 8 copper pieces
Wine, Keoish Golden - 15 copper pieces
Wine, Sundish lilac - 4 silver pieces
Wine, Urnst white - 5 silver pieces
Wine, Celene ruby -, 8 silver pieces
Wine, Furyondian emerald pale - 1 gold piece
Wine, Velunari fireamber - 3 gold piece

NinjaTBB
2012-07-15, 11:35 AM
He reaches for his coin pouch and smiles at Flayla. "I would like some sundish lilac wine please."

As she returns he takes a sip. "Is this place usually this busy?" He remarks noting the capacity of the tavern.

Sliver
2012-07-16, 12:54 AM
"You don't really like like the type to drink such expensive wine. Well, as expensive as sundish wine goes." The barmaid says before asking for the coin in advance and going to fetch you a glass full of it.

She returns with it and a small plate with bread, cheese and dried fruit. "Here you go, on the house." She smiles gently.

She looks around before answering. "Nah, usually it's busier. There are way more people during lunch hours, then we are also double the staff."

NinjaTBB
2012-07-16, 10:17 AM
"One's exterior appearance does often conceal the refined nature underneath." He says glancing at his clothes.

He takes a sip of wine and a slice of cheese. "Are breakfast and dinner similarly busy times?"

He spends some time trying to determine the actual value of the wine.
[roll0] to appraise

Sliver
2012-07-17, 06:22 AM
The barmaid, Flayla, smirks as Terence glances at his clothes. "Breakfast isn't so busy, the biggest rush is the next three hours, after that it's a bit calmer, but not as calm as now. Why are you so interested?" Flayla begins playing with her long hair.

Terence believes the wine is slightly overpriced on it's own, but it probably comes from the cost of enjoying the fine and classy establishment.

NinjaTBB
2012-07-17, 10:54 AM
"I'm just not fond of crowds, figured I'd find out the times of low capacity." He takes another sip of wine.

"You work all day?" He asks grabbing some dried fruit.

Sliver
2012-07-20, 01:46 AM
"Pretty much, besides my after lunch-rush break." She says as she grabs a slice of dried peach and snacks on it.

NinjaTBB
2012-07-20, 12:29 PM
"I see. Well I hope the rest of the day goes well for you." He finishes of the glass. "I must be going now, I might stop in later tonight. Thanks for all your help." He places a silver coin on the bar and heads out of the tavern.

Once outside he looks about for any of the children.
[roll0] search

Sliver
2012-07-20, 03:37 PM
(It's spot)

Terence doesn't find any of the boys around. Perhaps they weren't done yet, or didn't find Terence's location. The street seems not too full, with few people moving to and from the stalls, with a single cart being pulled by a lazy horse.

NinjaTBB
2012-07-20, 05:00 PM
(Then a 17 total)

Terence moves to one of the more secluded stalls and begins browsing the wares. After a moment he turns to the owner. "How's business been going friend?"

Sliver
2012-07-21, 10:44 AM
Terence approached a stall full of random trinkets. The merchant seems bored and uninterested. "Doing alright, friend." He replies, looking at Terence with suspicion. It doesn't seem like he is interested in engaging in a conversation or trying to convince people to buy.

In the distance, towards the western side of the city, shouts are heard. People around glance at the general direction, but don't seem to care too much.

NinjaTBB
2012-07-21, 07:06 PM
"Hold that thought." He says as he runs off to the direction of the shouts. "I sure hope this isn't Gob's doing..."

Sliver
2012-07-22, 12:43 AM
Terence runs up to a certain scene (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13593060#post13593060)...

Post there for now.