PDA

View Full Version : Practiced Spellcaster question

umbergod
2012-07-11, 07:55 PM
Say I make a ranger2/fighter4. Would practiced spellcaster effectively make me a 6th level ranger, giving my 1st level spells if I have an 11 in wisdom?

dextercorvia
2012-07-11, 07:57 PM
No. It only increases your caster level -- not your spells per day. Also, at Ranger 2 you don't have a casting class to apply it to.

umbergod
2012-07-11, 07:59 PM
Ahhh, I mistakenly believed that they maintained a 1/2 class caster level even before actually getting spells :P I was wrong

Jack Zander
2012-07-11, 08:01 PM
No. You'd be considered a 6th level ranger for caster level purposes only (and rangers are level-3 so you'd be a 3rd level caster with 0 spells).

You actually need to be 4th level before you can take any spells, and even then, most rangers spells aren't terribly dependent on caster level to begin with.

The way you're interpreting it, every wizard ever would take a single level of wizard, and then switch to a fighter and get all the benefits of BOTH classes. If a feat sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2012-07-11, 08:33 PM
edit: ambiguity strikes again!

umbergod
2012-07-11, 08:49 PM
No. You'd be considered a 6th level ranger for caster level purposes only (and rangers are level-3 so you'd be a 3rd level caster with 0 spells).

You actually need to be 4th level before you can take any spells, and even then, most rangers spells aren't terribly dependent on caster level to begin with.

The way you're interpreting it, every wizard ever would take a single level of wizard, and then switch to a fighter and get all the benefits of BOTH classes. If a feat sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't.

More like lack of sleep and foggy memory :P I should have known it wouldn't grant me spells XD

Palanan
2012-07-11, 10:41 PM
I think everyone has this experience at least once with that feat.

:smalltongue: