PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Build - Suggestions

Rockshister
2012-07-11, 08:15 PM
Hey all!

OK, so I'm looking at rolling a Cleric for a new game. Group is still in shifty stage, but it appears that we won't have a tank or healer (except for me, whichever direction I may choose.) I don't want to play the generic cleric, even though I know they can fill both rolls adequately. Looking for a little flavor to the character without going over optimized!

Looking for suggestions on making a solid build that can tank but still carry respectable healing. Again, doesn't have to be an uber optimized build, just looking for a direction or things to look at. I've just started thinking about this build, so no real direction yet. Figured I'd hit ya'll up for some ideas!

Thanks in advance!

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-07-11, 09:00 PM
LN Human Cleric of Zarus (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20041203a&page=1) 6/ Divine Oracle 4/ Contemplative 10
Strength and War domains starting out, Oracle at 7th, Law at 11th, Destiny at 16th.
Get the spontaneous domain casting ACF in PH2 for Strength or War instead of being able to spontaneously cast Inflict spells. That actually allows you to prepare Cure spells in your domain slots, and you can use your domain buffs multiple times per day instead of one spell per spell level each day.

Gain Skill Focus: Knowledge: Religion via a visit to the Frog God's Fane detailed in Complete Scoundrel. If you include it in your backstory you get the feat for 2,000 gp.
Two flaws, Extend Spell, Persistent Spell, DMM: Persistent, Extra Turning at 1st, Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) at 3rd, Power Attack at 6th, Craft Rod at 9th, and whatever else after that but probably include Law Devotion and Quicken Spell.
Keep max ranks in Concentration and Kn: Religion, and get skill tricks you qualify for like Swift Concentration whenever you can.

Items: Get a standard Strand of Prayer Beads which has had the Bead of Smiting removed as soon as possible, if starting high enough level you should begin play with one. Per DMG pricing it should cost you only 9,000 gp, it has not been changed by errata even though the various SRDs list it considerably higher; for D&D games, the D&D DMG takes precedence over d20 SRDs. Pick up a Reliquary Holy Symbol (MIC), a few Lesser Rods of Extend, and as many Night Sticks as you can afford, which you can craft yourself from 9th level on. Also get some decent armor, a nice greatsword, an animated shield, and whatever else. At level 13+ you'll want a standard Metamagic Rod of Extend and a 6th level Pearl of Power to dedicate to your constant Energy Immunity (SpC) x5 and Superior Resistance (SpC) for two 6th level spell slots per day.

Persistent buffs, higher level spells are preferable to lower level ones depending on what level spells you can cast and how many Night Sticks you have. This list is not exhaustive, and you should always use the Bead of Karma on your Strand of Prayer Beads before buffing:
1st- Divine Favor
2nd- Elation (BoED)
3rd- Mass Lesser Vigor (SpC)
4th- Divine Power
5th- Righteous Wrath of the Faithful (SpC)
6th- Stone Body (SpC)
7th- Holy Star (SpC), preferably x3
8th- Stormrage (SpC)
9th- Choose Destiny (RoD)

Go with the standard array of (extended) hour/level and 24-hour buffs, such as Magic Vestment, Greater Magic Weapon, Greater/Superior Resistance, etc.

If you want an even more optimized build, don't worship a specific deity, start out good-aligned Naenhoon Illumian, and use Cloistered Cleric with Knowledge Devotion and Collector of Stories. Get the Winter and Spell domains, and get a few Paragnostic Apostle levels. Get enough 1st level Pearls of Power and Lesser Rods of Extend to put Snowsight on the whole party and use Obscuring Snow every day. Get a 3rd level Pearl of Power to use Anyspell twice, for Naenhoon Persistent Wraithstrike and Shield, and use (Greater) Luminous Armor with Magic Vestment on both that and your Shield spell's effects. Eventually you should use Greater Anyspell to Persistent Draconic Polymorph into a War Troll. Still pick up the Destiny domain for Persistent Choose Destiny, pretty much all your persistent spell choices should stay the same in addition to the Anyspell choices.

Devils_Advocate
2012-07-12, 07:58 AM
I thought that the generic cleric was a solid build that can tank but still carry respectable healing.

A good starting point is to consider what deity, pantheon, cause or whatever it seems like it would be fun to play a cleric of. A cleric's religion is a central aspect of his character, innit?

Is this 3.5? What's the setting? Which books are available, and which options are allowed and disallowed? What's the starting level? And so on and so forth.

prufock
2012-07-12, 08:36 AM
I thought that the generic cleric was a solid build that can tank but still carry respectable healing

It is, but spell/feat/PrC/domain selection can make you more or less effective at any given role.

Rockshister
2012-07-12, 08:36 AM
I thought that the generic cleric was a solid build that can tank but still carry respectable healing.

A good starting point is to consider what deity, pantheon, cause or whatever it seems like it would be fun to play a cleric of. A cleric's religion is a central aspect of his character, innit?

Is this 3.5? What's the setting? Which books are available, and which options are allowed and disallowed? What's the starting level? And so on and so forth.

Generic is a solid build, that could do the job. I just don't want the run of the mill cleric. :)

It's 3.5, in FR, good campaign, and to my knowledge all books. Standard races only though. (by which I'm assuming DM means PHB races). That's a little iffy. Starting at 8th level. So far the party is a rogue, and either a monk & barb, or two monks. (one of them is back and forth on choice).

I'm really just seeking ideas, things to look at, concepts to consider, etc. :)

Biff: Thanks for that! A little more than I was expecting but it gives me some things to look at! Much appreciated!