PDA

View Full Version : Kingmaker: Into the Green OOC



Pages : [1] 2 3

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-11, 08:49 PM
Kingmaker: The Stolen Lands
OOC Thread

{table=head]Player|Character|Race|Class
ProudGrognard|Kalezin (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Fuj2eayS4UohIysxyH1yC_K3cc_x0-2ONbUwviCmZLk/edit?pli=1)|Human|Witch
North Ranger|Miron Sokolov (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=552790)|Human|Cleric
Athaleon|Gideon Kaide (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=462544)|Human|Magus
Nexus R.C. Mina|Zhaag (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=420942)|Half-Orc|Barbarian
Ancient Hippo|Caerwyn (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=419490)|Half-Elf|Inquisitor[/table]

XP Count: 3600/6000

Welcome, everyone, to the first episode of the Kingmaker Adventure Path. I hope you're all as excited to get things started as I am, and thanks for submitting excellent characters. I've appended everyone's sheets into the above easy-to-access table for the purpose of convenience. I'll put the IC thread up some time tomorrow, after everyone's posted here to confirm that they're good to go. Please go ahead and choose a colour for your speech and what have you; as cliched as it is around here, it really is very useful. I'll be leading in with a short introduction that gets everyone together for the journey into the Greenbelt then giving you all a chance to introduce yourselves, so you might as well plot out what you'd like to say. If you have any questions or anything like that, feel free to ask. Elsewise, this thread is for the discussion of whatever you feel like OOC, as well as any rolls you might need to make without double-posting IC (crit confirmations, that sort of thing). I'm reserving the first two posts for useful information; expect some basics to show up soon, and the rest to show up as it comes up IC. Regardless, watch this space. There'll be more here soon.

Link to the IC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13546714#post13546714)


People and Organizations

Oleg and Svetlana Leveron

This middle-aged couple runs a trading post built a few months ago out of the remains of a ruined border fort and unimaginatively named "Oleg's". Oleg is an independent, if stern, merchant and trader while Svetlana is the post's somewhat more level-headed housekeeper, cook and architect. The couple have recently been having some trouble with bandits disrupting trade and extorting their supplies. While they've sent a message to the Swordlords asking for trained guards for the post, the promised men have not yet arrived.

With the Brevish guards defending their trading post, the Leverons now operate a fairly successful business and no longer need to worry about attack from bandits. They remain grateful for your defense of their lives and livelihoods.


The Northern Bandit Camp

Led by a cruel, dangerous woman named Kressle and her second-in-command and sometimes lover Happs Brydon, this camp represented the northernmost of the Stag Lord's forces. Since wiped out, a handful of survivers have escaped to parts unknown.


Jaxon Vaduin

Born in the River Kingdoms, Jax has spent most of his life on a riverboat from one place to another, and the rest fighting or avoiding a fight. He wound up in the Greenbelt after his boat sunk some distance to the west, while passing through the Slough. Defected from the Bandits, who he wasn't very fond of to begin with. Left for Restov, but will likely return at some point in the future.

The Stag Lord

The enigmatic leader of the Bandits in the Greenbelt. You know he lives somewhere to the south, you know his men are scared of him and you know that he's a hell of a fighter. Otherwise, he's still something of a mystery.


Kasten Garess

An ill-tempered Brevish soldier in charge of the force sent by the Swordlords to defend Oleg's trading post. Secretive about his past, he seems to be extremely cynical.


Davik Nettles:

Once the founder and proprietor of Nettles' Crossing, the only truly safe passage over the Shrike river for miles around, Davik Nettles was killed by the Stag Lord and his bridge and home destroyed at least a few months prior to your arrival in the region. Now a strange undead revenant bound to the river, he waits for the opportunity to claim his revenge. He has demanded that you throw the Stag Lord's body in the river, and has allowed you free use of his crossing in pursuit of the Stag Lord's death.


The Sootscale Kobolds

A relatively small tribe of Kobolds, the Sootscales live in an abandoned silver mine a few miles north of the Shrike River. Numbering perhaps thirty in total, they have historically been relatively peaceful neighbors but recently have become both more hostile and more aggressive. Ruled by Chief Sootscale and the Shaman Tartuk, they are engaged in a war with a colony of Mites and have requested that you return the mystical statue of Old Sharptooth, some sort of deity, from the Mites.

With Tartuk dead, the Sootscales have once again ceased their attacks on the humanoid dwellers of the Greenbelt and agreed to a loose alliance with you.


Loot:

Current table of unsold items:

Wand of Burning Hands (2 Charges left) (Kalezin has this)
Wand of Magic Missile CL3
Potion of Cure Light Wounds
Potion of Invisibility
Potion of Enlarge Person
Heatstone
Bracers of Armour +2
Dust of Illusion
Masterwork Sickle

Undistributed GP:
411

GP distributed:
Miron: 26
Everyone Else: 377

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-11, 08:50 PM
Important Locations of the Stolen Lands

Oleg's Trading Post

This walled log-and plank trading post was built by Oleg and his wife out of the remains of an abandoned border fort. Its walls are somewhat sturdy but still in a state of serious disrepair, leaving handholds and gaps that make it of little value as a fortification, though it's still better than nothing. The post consists of a stable, fenced and covered storage pen, a guesthouse which consists of little more than half a dozen bunks in a slightly run-down shack and a greathouse where the two proprietors of the post live and serve meals. It lies a scant few miles from the Greenbelt, an untamed wilderness that just so happens to be the portion of the Stolen Lands you have been commissioned to explore.


The Greenbelt

The Greenbelt is the centre-most territory of the Stolen-lands, as well as the farthest north. It borders on Rostland to the north and the River Kingdom of Mivon's tenuous territory to the south, and on the Slough to the west and the Nomen Hights to the east. The least dangerous and most 'civilized' of the Stolen Lands, the northern reaches of the Greenbelt are relatively safe, the greatest threat to a common traveler or explorer being the heavy bandit presence within the region. As a general rule, the farther north you are in the Greenbelt, the safer you are. The southern reaches are dangerous unclaimed wilderness occupied by all manner of dangerous beasts. This is the region you have been chartered to explore.


The Slough

This marshy region used to be one of the most important trade routes between Brevoy and the other human nations to the south, via the Sellen River which leads all the way from New Stetven in the north to Galt, Kyonin and Lake Encarthan to the south. Inhabited by Lizardfolk, Boggards and still stranger creatures it has recently become far more dangerous to legitimate travel, prompting the Swordlords to send a large force of diplomats and skilled soldiers to secure the vital trade links.


The Nomen Heights:

A mountainous region occupied only tenuously by the 'civilized' races, the Nomen heights have never been adequately explored. The centaurs of the Nomen Heights have always been trouble, and in an attempt at a show of force, the swordlords sent a group of mercenaries led by one of their own, a low-ranking but eager-to-impress swordlord named Maegar Varn to establish a town and make peace with the Nomen centaurs.


The Glenebon Uplands:

Occupied primarily by the violent and insular Tiger Lord barbarians, this heavily forested region is exceedingly dangerous and the westernmost reach of the Stolen Lands. The swordlords sent a relatively experienced band of adventurers known as the Iron Wraiths into the Glenebon Uplands, charging them with purging the hills of the Tiger Lord barbarians and, eventually, to make diplomatic contact with Pitax to work out border issues.


Map of the Stolen Lands (so far):

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp244/DaedalusV2/MapWorking-4_zps72a0d773.jpg
There we go, that's a start. Still a lot more to see, though.

ChaosLord29
2012-07-12, 02:17 AM
Hey! Great to be here and great to see everyone else who got in! Just like to say, since it may not have been clear in the Recruitment thread, I would probably be most interested in the position of Magister, given Caledor's penchant for law and honor.

Geckus
2012-07-12, 08:25 AM
Woohoo! I've been looking forward to a chance to play Kingmaker, look forward to working with the rest of the lucky recruits. :smallbiggrin:

Wilison shall pontificate in royal blue.

The targeted positions for Wilison are (in order of preference): Ruler, Magister, Spymaster, Treasurer, anything else (he'd be decent at anything but Warden).

Presuming the group had a chance to meet and discuss before venturing into the Stolen Lands, Wilison's family provided him with decent funding for the expedition, as such he has splurged on a great many useful if mundane items to make our task easier. If you have any suggestions of things to add that would be useful to the group as a whole, or want to swap out some of your own gear (GM permission allowing) to prevent excessive overlap, now would probably be a great time to discuss it.

Gear List (on top of Wil's personal gear)
Pony w riding saddle
Donkey (x2) w bit & bridle + pack saddles
Animal feed (x40), trail rations (x10)
Abacus, merchant scale, block & tackle, map making kit, large treasure chest w good lock, compass, crowbar, grappling hook, 4 50`coils of silk rope, 10 sacks, waterproof hooded lantern, 20 pints lamp oil, folding ladder, folding chair, stretcher, flint & steel, board game (10gp), small steel mirror, shaving kit, chalk board, 100 pieces of chalk, 10 sticks of charcoal, 10 vials of ink, 10 ink pens, 50 sheets of paper, 50 sheets of parchment, 10 scroll cases, 5 lbs of sealing wax, 100 candles, 4 fish hooks, 30 sunrods.
+71 gp cash on hand


A quick question for the GM - are the character's aware that they'll be establishing a new kingdom, or just that they're reclaiming territory for Brevoy? Just curious if it's made clear from the outset, or something that comes up latter in the adventure path.

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-12, 11:30 AM
Hey! Great to be here and great to see everyone else who got in! Just like to say, since it may not have been clear in the Recruitment thread, I would probably be most interested in the position of Magister, given Caledor's penchant for law and honor.
Don't forget to choose a colour, ChaosLord.

want to swap out some of your own gear (GM permission allowing) to prevent excessive overlap, now would probably be a great time to discuss it.

A quick question for the GM - are the character's aware that they'll be establishing a new kingdom, or just that they're reclaiming territory for Brevoy? Just curious if it's made clear from the outset, or something that comes up latter in the adventure path.
I'll allow any of you to swap out any survival gear you feel you no longer need thanks to Wilison's personal backing. You'll be gathering at a small trading post just to the north of the Greenbelt, operated by a trader named Oleg and his wife Svetlana. There is a specific day noted on your charter for the meeting, and you should all be arriving at Oleg's trading post on that day, just to prevent headaches on my part. It's up to you guys to decide whether you travel to Oleg's from Restov (a journey of about a week, for which you will not need to account for rations) together or in as many groups as you might desire. Regardless, the game begins at the trading post with the five of you meeting in an open-air marketplace curiously empty except for the five of you and Oleg himself. Which will go up IC once everyone's posted.

No, you were simply contracted to explore and map the Greenbelt. That said, the Swordlords would have carefully implied that, should you do a good job with the area, you might see some of the 'pacified' land deeded to you.

Miraqariftsky
2012-07-12, 11:30 AM
Well, well, well. Fond greetings to my fellow common players, and a bow to our eminent chief Daedalus.

WAAAAAAGGGHHH!

Moranica
2012-07-12, 01:23 PM
WHooohooo!!

Having said that.

WHO LET IN THE ORC?!?! Noting all the caps, it is a good thing Paiku is deaf. First time a character sheet made me laugh hard.

High priest here. I'll be your woman for anything divine.

ChaosLord29
2012-07-12, 01:28 PM
I think I'd like Caledor to post in Red, since it's bold, easy to read, and quite suits his brash nature.

Also I'm glad to see we have a fellow Warhammer player here. Any chance the Character you're playing here corresponds to your choice of army? I know mine does.

Geckus
2012-07-12, 06:23 PM
You're not the only two, though I must admit my fondness runs closer to 40K than the medievalish Warhammer on the rare occasion I have to play a game.

None can withstand the might of the Space Wolves! The Sons of Russ are ever victorious!

Though I must admit a fondness for the occassional bit of Ork-ish hijinks. :smallwink:




No, you were simply contracted to explore and map the Greenbelt. That said, the Swordlords would have carefully implied that, should you do a good job with the area, you might see some of the 'pacified' land deeded to you.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-12, 06:55 PM
Yeah, make that four, though ChaosLord already knew that. I too prefer 40k as both a setting and a game, but my Dark Elves speak to the fact that I'm perfectly happy with either one. And, since I've asked him the question before, Nexus doesn't actually play the tabletop games. He's just a fluff junkie who spends a lot of time hanging around the Dark Heresy corners of this website. I like Tau. They've got some of the best aestetics in the game, they're the least generic race in 40k (Space British Empire Utilitarians flying around in mini-mecha) and Skimmers and Battlesuits are boss. If only they didn't suck so much compared to every other army but Daemons...

Just waiting on IRollTwenties now. If he hasn't posted here in two or three hours I'll start up the IC regardless and let him jump in when he shows up. Or throw out an invite to one of the other applicants at that time if he decides to drop out, I guess. Either way, the opening posts have seen some changes since they first went up. Check them out, there's some useful info in there that wasn't in the Player's Guide. Also, check back on them often; I'll be updating them with new people, places and things as they come up.

ChaosLord29
2012-07-12, 07:08 PM
I'm a creature of habit where it comes to table top games. I've got a Warhammer Fantasy army of High Elves, but my preferred army to play with happens to be 40k as well. Ulthwe Eldar are my personal choice, I love the firepower and the versatility of my aspect warriors, and especially the mythology behind the Space Elves. It doesn't hurt that they're master manipulators of the galaxy, and their only real weakness is the fact that they accidentally created one of the Chaos Gods . . . woops.

I really wanted to build me a Vampire Counts army too, but I just can't afford it XD

Geckus
2012-07-12, 07:25 PM
Nothing wrong with being a fluff junkie, especially with Warhammer - it has some truly awesome lore and stories floating about, plus some pretty decent novels. I know I picked up four or five of the older codex' just for the little stories tucked away in them.

Actually building a proper army is just so damned expensive that it keeps a lot of people who might otherwise play out of the hobby, myself included, for the most part - I only had enough minis for a mid-sized force of marines at the height of my collection; these days, I think I might have 1 or 2 left - those I thought were too cool looking to give away. <sigh> And now I kind of miss having them.

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-13, 12:40 AM
IC thread is now up. Check the link in the first post. Still waiting on IRollTwenties, PMing him now to make sure he knows what's going on.


Be it so known that the bearer of this charter has been charged
by the Swordlords of Restov, acting upon the greater good and
authority vested within them by the office of the Regent of the
Dragonscale Throne, has granted the right of exploration and travel
within the wilderness region known as the Greenbelt. Exploration
should be limited to an area no further than thirty-six miles east and
west and sixty miles south of Olegs Trading Post. The carrier of
this charter should also strive against banditry and other unlawful
behavior to be encountered. The punishment for unrepentant banditry
remains, as always, execution by sword or rope. So witnessed on this
24th day of Calistril, under watchful eye of the Lordship of Restov
and authority granted by Lord Noleski Surtova, current Regent of
the Dragonscale Throne.

Moranica
2012-07-13, 07:37 AM
Minor warhammer fan here. We played a lot of Rogue trader with my rl group. Also player some games (WH 40k and bloodbowl), but nothing serious. What is a good series to read?

Geckus
2012-07-13, 02:50 PM
Minor warhammer fan here. We played a lot of Rogue trader with my rl group. Also player some games (WH 40k and bloodbowl), but nothing serious. What is a good series to read?

Hit and miss, but with more hits than misses, IMO - Dan Abnett is probably the best known/most prolific writer for Warhammer 40K, and I found most of his books are quite enjoyable. The little blurbs and shorts in the codex' and rule books are generally awesome.

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-13, 03:21 PM
Minor warhammer fan here. We played a lot of Rogue trader with my rl group. Also player some games (WH 40k and bloodbowl), but nothing serious. What is a good series to read?

Sandy Mitchell's Caiphas Cain novels are generally a good place for a non-40k aficionado to start with the setting, since they tend to be written without absolute knowledge of the setting in mind. The Horus Heresy series isn't a bad idea either, though it won't help you understand the setting as it is 'now', being set 10,000 years previous to the current date. If you're in the mood for something dark but very good at giving an idea of how the setting works, the Eisenhorn and Ravenor books by Dan Abnett are also very good. I don't recommend reading his famous Tanith First and Only books without a solid grasp of things, though, since they tend to assume a significant knowledge of how the Imperium and Imperial Guard work.

Still no word from IRollTwenties.

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-14, 10:57 AM
Double post for great justice...

Near as I can tell, IRollTwenties has dropped off the face of the earth. I'm not sure if I should be trying to invite one of the other submitted characters to take his place or just wait a little while longer for him. It's been three days since the OOC went up and I was rather hoping for players who could be a little more active than posting every three or four days. What do you guys say; wait a bit more for him, or invite someone else? I was thinking Orsel the Agnostic monk, if I do go for a replacement.

ChaosLord29
2012-07-14, 12:54 PM
Just a heads up, it may be a day or two before I can do my post, I'm in San Diego (impromptu trip to Comic Con to try and scalp some tickets), and I probably won't have the chance to sit down and do the whole post I would like to until tomorrow or the day after.

Ancient Hippo
2012-07-15, 08:47 PM
Hi all, I'm here to replace IRollTwenties.

Why did you take all the cool colors I hope this is not too close to Zhaag's color? If so, then my only option really is something Brownish. IC post coming soon... And by the way, I'm swapping the donkey back to a tent, as Wilison's mules or half-orc probably don't mind a little extra weight much.

ChaosLord29
2012-07-16, 02:22 PM
Back from San Diego! Will be making my introductory post as soon as I get off work in a couple hours.

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-17, 12:07 AM
Alright, that's everyone but Nexus in, and since he's been hit with family health issues we won't be waiting on him. I'll move things along in about 12 hours or so, so if you think there's anything else important to do in this scene go ahead and do it.

Moranica
2012-07-18, 02:30 PM
I have a question about my natural divination ability.

Natural Divination (Ex): You can read the entrails of a freshly killed animal or humanoid to gain an insight bonus equal to your Charisma modifier on one saving throw. Alternatively, by observing and interpreting the flights of birds, you may apply a +10 competence bonus on any one skill check. Finally, by charting marks in dirt or stone, or observing the behavior of sand when thrown into the wind, you gain a +4 insight bonus on one initiative check. These bonuses must be used during the next 24 hours and you must declare you are using the bonus before the check or save is made. Making a natural divination takes 10 minutes. You may use natural divination (in any combination) once per day plus one additional time per day for every four oracle levels you have attained.

So how does this work exactly?

Do I prepare one of the three at the beginning of the day (takes 10 min.) and then use it at some point during the day?
Or do I do the 10 min. thing when the check is needed? Which doesn't make sense for the initiative bonus.


Either way, I plan to use it for knowledge only, as it fits my character better. Is it ok if we just assume I've prepared the birds thing every day?

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-18, 03:19 PM
You take the 10 minutes to perform the divination at any point in the day, and can gain the bonus at any time within 24 hours with no action involved, but you have to choose which of the bonuses to go for when you take the 10 minute time, and you're stuck with it until the next day.

Also, yeah, we can assume you do any of them except the entrails thing very easily on any given day, but you'll need to specifically work for that one. Even if you never intend to do it.

Moranica
2012-07-18, 03:24 PM
Yes, I doubt she'll be using that one. Except perhaps concerning entrails of enemies. That makes sense... :smallbiggrin:

Also, are we all on quadruped back?

Ancient Hippo
2012-07-18, 03:47 PM
Does it happen to you often that when you have almost finished writing your post, you accidentally press Ctrl + W instead of Sift + W?

Moranica
2012-07-18, 03:56 PM
I don't use either... :smallsmile: What do they do?

Ancient Hippo
2012-07-18, 03:58 PM
Shift + W writes a capital "w". It's quite useful. Ctrl + W closes your current window. (I secretly hoped somebody would try and see what it does. :smalltongue:)

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-18, 04:00 PM
Yes, I doubt she'll be using that one. Except perhaps concerning entrails of enemies. That makes sense... :smallbiggrin:

Also, are we all on quadruped back?
No, only you and Wiliston have personal mounts, though there are enough pack animals to carry a lot of supplies.

Does it happen to you often that when you have almost finished writing your post, you accidentally press Ctrl + W instead of Sift + W?
No, that's not happened to me. Then again, I make sure to make liberal use of Ctrl + C whenever writing a decently long post. Saves horrible, horrible frustration.

I don't use either... :smallsmile: What do they do?
Shift + W makes a capital W, obviously. Ctrl + W closes the browsing tab you're on. One of these things is not exactly desirable.

Ancient Hippo
2012-07-18, 05:59 PM
I just noticed that Inquisitors apparently do not have martial weapon proficiency, so I sneakily removed the longsword from my sheet. Just thought that I should mention it here so you don't think I'm cheating or something.

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-19, 06:32 PM
I don't have time to post in depth right now, but the gate can be closed and barred (though it isn't quick or subtle to do so), but Oleg would really rather prefer to avoid setting his home on fire.

If you're satisfied with the ambush plan, go ahead and confirm here in the OOC. If I get a majority, I'll move things along to the beginning of the encounter with the bandits in the morning.

Geckus
2012-07-19, 07:54 PM
The basic plan seems sound to me. Let the bandits see what they expect to see, hit them from surprise, hopefully with overwhelming force to end the battle before it really begins. If Caledor or Caerwyn are adamant on trying to convince the bandits to surrender before opening up on them, Wil will go along to get along, but hed definitely prefer to hit first and offer the chance to surrender to anyone still standing (since hes planning to open up with a color spray, we could potentially drop a decent number of enemies without a fight - especially if Caledor does the same).

Wil & Zhaag in the storehouse (A4), Caledor and Paiku in the stables (A3), Caerwyn in the main house with Oleg (A6) or on the wall for sniping from above (looks like he prefers range, please correct me if Im wrong), and Moro outside to cut off retreat or drive in any stragglers? Sound reasonable to people?


Any bandits taken alive...well, I don't see that we'll have any way of containing them safely for any length of time. 'Unrepentant' banditry is a hanging offense, given the wording of the charter; difficulty lies in determining if the person in question is actually repentant, or just sorry they got caught.

ChaosLord29
2012-07-19, 08:02 PM
I'm ready to go forward, so long as we get a chance to pick out hiding spots for our ambush prior to the encounter.

Ancient Hippo
2012-07-19, 08:58 PM
I'm fine with going foward now that Caerwyn had his emotional outburst.

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-20, 02:15 AM
Feel free to place yourselves anywhere you want on that map, or just give me a vague area. Anyone outside or on the wall will need to make a Stealth check to avoid notice. Unless otherwise stated, I'll assume everyone follows Geckus' general layout, which seems pretty reasonable. I'll give you a bit more time to think it over, then move things along some time tomorrow.

Moranica
2012-07-20, 10:30 AM
Indeed following Geckus layout. Moro will be instructed to hide nearby. Then approach the gate, staying there hidden on the sound of a single wistle. On two whistles he will jump in the gate and trip/attack anyone trying to flee.

Also, I'm ready! :smallbiggrin:

And I'm ok with not setting his house on fire...

Moranica
2012-07-20, 10:31 AM
Indeed following Geckus layout. Moro will be instructed to hide nearby. Then approach the gate, staying there hidden on the sound of a single wistle. On two whistles he will jump in the gate and trip/attack anyone trying to flee.

Also, I'm ready! :smallbiggrin:

And I'm ok with not setting his house on fire...

Miraqariftsky
2012-07-20, 10:48 AM
To everything before this post by the chief: Hallo-hallo, folks. Yeah, ha-ha, would if I could. The chief has got me correctly there.

Would play if I could, but, only got the books so far. Annnnnnd seconding the chief's recommendations on the books there. CIAPHAS CAIN: Hero of the Imperium was my first good, hard view into W40K. Then came LET THE GALAXY BURN--- short story anthology, covers a good deal of the different social/political/moral/ethical perspectives of the universe. Viewpoint characters range from a simple farmer on a feudal world, to a band of Guardsemn in a lonely Leman Russ across a barren war-world, to a Sister of Battle who pursues a grudge against a Daemon Prince, et cetera. Then came the Dan Abnett Ravenor and Eisenhorn Omnibi. Agreeing with Daedalus' assessment there. Then came Faith and Fire by James Swallow. Hard to explain in brief, but at least for me, it was a very moving book.


Alright, that's everyone but Nexus in, and since he's been hit with family health issues we won't be waiting on him. I'll move things along in about 12 hours or so, so if you think there's anything else important to do in this scene go ahead and do it.

Please consider this thing still active. Meatspace crises ain't done yet but, yeah, there ye go. That's my foot in the door.

Ancient Hippo
2012-07-20, 02:17 PM
I don't want to be a spoilsport, but I don't understand at all what Zhaag is saying... :smallfrown: Would you mind including the general idea of what he is saying in spoilers? It would help a lot.

Moranica
2012-07-20, 02:21 PM
Nexus....... .. orcs. ...... jamaican orcs ....:smallbiggrin:

I really like the way you manage to barely keep it readable, yet still incredibly funny.

@hippo. Reading it out loud really helps!

Ancient Hippo
2012-07-20, 04:21 PM
@hippo. Reading it out loud really helps!

Ehh... it probably would, if I knew how to pronounce it. :smalltongue:

Also, don't go anywhere, IC post coming soon.

ChaosLord29
2012-07-20, 04:41 PM
I don't want to be a spoilsport, but I don't understand at all what Zhaag is saying... :smallfrown: Would you mind including the general idea of what he is saying in spoilers? It would help a lot.

Yeah, you really have to be reading it in an orcy voice in your mind, or out loud.

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-20, 04:46 PM
Yeah, you really have to be reading it in an orcy voice in your mind, or out loud.

And even then, it's going to take some effort to puzzle out when he uses a longer word or something similar. It might be best to include at least a quick summary of what Zhaag's trying to say in Spoilers; not necessarily a translation, but a one or two sentence "Zhaag compliments the hosts on their meal, expresses dislike for any plan which does not involve the bandits being punished and asks where he should be for the ambush" would be pretty helpful for me too.

Ancient Hippo
2012-07-20, 05:32 PM
Well, that roll sucked.

Now we can only hope that at least one of the bandits completely fails his Sense Motive check. I spent too much time lovingly crafting my tale to see it totally fail. :smalltongue:

Geckus
2012-07-20, 06:02 PM
Rather than risk the stealth check, Wilison will just set up in the bunkhouse, along with Zhaag (presuming that's OK with Nexus).

New spells prepped for the day and updated on character sheet.

ChaosLord29
2012-07-20, 06:40 PM
But we need Zhaag to close the gate behind the bandits remember? If anyone is going to be hidden, it'll have to be him, on the walls.

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-20, 06:47 PM
But we need Zhaag to close the gate behind the bandits remember? If anyone is going to be hidden, it'll have to be him, on the walls.

Maybe now's a good time to point out that Zhaag has a -4 Stealth modifier? He's not going to be doing much good hiding somewhere with minimal cover like that. That said, if he were lurking behind the bunkhouse and trying his best not to make any sound he could get the the gate in a single Move action, though it'll take a Full Round action to close it and a Move action to bar it. Big, strong gates like this one aren't designed to move easily. Regardless, I'll let each person determine their precise location when they make a post detailing their first action.

Ancient Hippo
2012-07-20, 07:49 PM
The problem with Bluff and Intimidate is that if you don't succeed you feel like an idiot.

The other reason that I feel like an idiot is that I took "Doom" as my other spell, even though just plain Intimidate does it better. Well, at least I can change it... At level 5. Seriously, I feel like an total idiot. What makes it even more bad is that Inquisitors are spontaneous casters. So I wasted half of my spell slots for a spell that I will absolutely never use. Please kick me.

Geckus
2012-07-21, 05:54 AM
I guess we are all in the bunkhouse then?

Probably better for Zhaag to stay with us; the gate should be alright with Moro moving in from outside to catch any runners.

Miraqariftsky
2012-07-21, 10:32 AM
Nexus....... .. orcs. ...... jamaican orcs ....:smallbiggrin:

I really like the way you manage to barely keep it readable, yet still incredibly funny.

@hippo. Reading it out loud really helps!
Heh! Glad ta bring gladness, ol' chap.


I don't want to be a spoilsport, but I don't understand at all what Zhaag is saying... :smallfrown: Would you mind including the general idea of what he is saying in spoilers? It would help a lot.
Koff... sorry about that... Hamlet moments, heh.]


And even then, it's going to take some effort to puzzle out when he uses a longer word or something similar. It might be best to include at least a quick summary of what Zhaag's trying to say in Spoilers; not necessarily a translation, but a one or two sentence "Zhaag compliments the hosts on their meal, expresses dislike for any plan which does not involve the bandits being punished and asks where he should be for the ambush" would be pretty helpful for me too.

...annnnd looks like the chief's beaten me to it again, correct on all counts, your honour.


Maybe now's a good time to point out that Zhaag has a -4 Stealth modifier? He's not going to be doing much good hiding somewhere with minimal cover like that. That said, if he were lurking behind the bunkhouse and trying his best not to make any sound he could get the the gate in a single Move action, though it'll take a Full Round action to close it and a Move action to bar it. Big, strong gates like this one aren't designed to move easily. Regardless, I'll let each person determine their precise location when they make a post detailing their first action.

^Good point, that.

Hmm. As to where to put the big green bugger...

0] Confirm, please: There are only, as far as our intrepid heroes can tell, only four human[?] bandits, no explicit glint of armour but cloaked, mounted on horses, acting overconfident, bearing swords and bows, but don't have weapons in their hands yet?

0.5] How many of them fall to Wilison's spell?

1] At the ramparts to drop down and close the gate? Horribly conspicuous. No, I shan't be attempting that for the audacity nor for the challenge factor of it, no, not even if you tempt me with Fate Points. [Evened out, if we were able to tap Oleg's potions for some Cat's Grace?]

2] Behind the bunkhouse, ready to dash and close the gate? Plausible. Leaves him horribly exposed, though. Where... or rather, how close is the back-up? Hmm. How much of a penalty will there be to treat that warscythe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_scythe) that if Zhaag were to use that scythe as an improvised longspear in one hand while still holding up the shield with the other? Or would it just be wiser to use the warscythe's superior reach to keep the horsemen at bay during the initial rush, then switch to sword-and-board when things get too close?

3] Or mebbe we could have him hiding in the shadows of the storehouse, ala Schwarzenegger in Commando when he hid in the toolshed... then pounce on them now that they're distracted with hauling goods?

*] To strap packets of pepper [or whatever sneeze-inducing substance] or to somehow affix bits of really shiny glass or metal shards to his shield [same purpose, distraction]--- Is it a good idea, a stupid idea, or something-Zhaag-shouldn't-be-able-to-think-of?

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-21, 11:05 AM
Geckus: Wiliston's only going to be able to catch one bandit in that color spray thanks to his 20-foot movement speed hampering his ability to employ the 15 foot cone. The distance from the door of the bunkhouse is just too great, and they will see you coming as soon as the door opens. If you'd like to revise your action go ahead, but you won't be able to do better than one bandit in the spray until after they've had a chance to act.

Ancient Hippo: Note the very short duration on Intimidate's Demoralize effect (1 round, plus 1 round per 5 you beat the check by). Doom's duration is one minute per caster level. Doom is still going to outperform intimidate against anyone without an excellent Will save.

Nexus: Four bandits that you can see, plus six horses between them. All of the bandits appear to be human.

1: Oleg didn't hand out his potions, and doesn't have Cat's Grace even if he did. He's saving them as an incentive for you to kill the bandits.

2: The bandits dismounted their horses to load Oleg's trade goods, except for their leader who remains mounted. Sorry for the lack of description on that front. Also, as a Warscythe is very much not designed for thrusting, I'd say the penalty for trying to use it one-handed would be dauntingly high. You'd be counting it as an Improvised spear (-4 on attack rolls, 1d4 damage).

3: That'd require a Stealth check, since the bandits did pay attention to the storehouse. The stables would likely be a saner place to hide, and you'd be roughly the same distance from the bandits at this point.

Edit: Perhaps this map will help.

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp244/DaedalusV2/TradingPostBF.jpg

Geckus
2012-07-21, 04:24 PM
Urggnow I really wish Id risked the storeroom. Oh well, nothing to be done for it; no plan survives contact with the enemy.

Guessing no surprise round for those still hidden, since the bandits are now alert? Presuming that is the case, Wilison will move to duck behind the southern-most bench - 1 square N, 2 squares E of Oleg (20 ft move), the use Hand of the Apprentice to launch his dagger at the eastern-most bandit (closest to the bunkhouse). Hopefully he can use the bench for a bit of cover while positioning himself to be more useful next round.

Hand of the Apprentice w dagger attack roll [roll0]
Potential Damage [roll1]

Geckus
2012-07-21, 04:26 PM
Sigh...forgot to reset the roll #s after previewing the post.

Hand of the Apprentice w dagger attack roll [roll0]
Potential Damage [roll1]

Miraqariftsky
2012-07-22, 10:00 AM
Hrhhmmm. Very well, chief. Stables it is, then.

Ladies and gents, there is your distraction. I oh-so-humbly suggest somebody get on the gate while these bandidos are retching from the stench and Mr Westmost Bandit spews some blood. Sorry for not taking the gate, but this way, they're quite... distracted. Hopefully. And hopefully, one of 'em's now quite dead or dying.

Fire damage! Crappy fire damage! [roll0]

PS: For Da Chief:

Koff. Wulfgar's up.

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-22, 11:04 AM
Alright. Once ChaosLord posts his action I can move things along.

In the future I'll try to be more clear on the combat situation, to avoid these kinds of delays.

Ancient Hippo
2012-07-22, 05:06 PM
I'm going to be unable to post for the next 3-4 days, due to a tragical separation from my laptop. (I'll see if I can use my phone, but I doubt it.)

In any case, Caerwyn's strategy for the following battle will be this:

He will use the "Destruction" judgement (+1 to damage rolls), try to keep distance to the bandits and use his crossbow. If it's not possible to stay at a range, he will switch to his dagger, change the judgement to "Protection" (+1 to AC) and fight defensively.

Once the battle is over, he will cast "stabilize" to any possible dying allies. (Cantrip, Close range.)

I hope my sudden disapperance does not cause any problems. :smallfrown:

ChaosLord29
2012-07-24, 12:16 AM
All right! Are we rolling for initiative or what?

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-24, 12:30 AM
All right! Are we rolling for initiative or what?

I already did, and will be doing so for everyone throughout the game to keep things moving. I'm just waiting on your action in the first round before I resolve things for the whole group and move on. You've got a full round of actions, including moving out of the bunkhouse. You can either just shout your challenge or do something else, it's up to you.

ChaosLord29
2012-07-24, 12:36 AM
Okay, so casting a Shield Spell for the +4 bonus to AC and then moving to the square in the top left corner of the A1 mark, due south of Happs.

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-24, 11:53 AM
ChaosLord: Works for me. In the future, you can probably include your OOC actions in a spoiler in your IC post. :smallwink:

Moranica: Note the positioning of the bandits attacking Zhaag. While you have enough movement to get adjacent to him, doing so would provoke an AoO. Is that acceptable, or would you rather move adjacent to the bandit so you can 5-foot-step up beside Zhaag next turn to avoid it?

Miraqariftsky
2012-07-24, 12:25 PM
Grr. Grumble. Whyyyy did I drop the PA...?
CLEAVE?! Wherrrrre are youuuuu...?

Eh... Izzit a Crit? Izzit?
Crit Confirm: [roll0] <---Crit Confirmed, bebeh.

Questions for the chief: Did those ehem, unorthodox methods of putting the foe off-balance, like crap-coating and lantern-oil-flaming, did those pan out, or were they a waste of resources... and infection-hazard?

That was a question on ruling... Now for a question on the rules... I read up on Power Attack in Pathfinder. And, unless I am mistaken, it ends up better in the crap-and-grit-levels, but loses luster in the higher levels? Correct me if I'm mistaken, but if, say, Power Attacking at level 8... -3 to hit: +6 damage (+9 if two-handing)... whereas the old PA would have been -8:+8(+16 if two-handing)? Are those calculations mistaken?

...huh. And if they aren't, looks like Pathfinder's Power Attack doesn't hit as hard in the long run, but hits more often.

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-24, 01:04 PM
Grr. Grumble. Whyyyy did I drop the PA...?
CLEAVE?! Wherrrrre are youuuuu...?

Eh... Izzit a Crit? Izzit?
Crit Confirm: [roll0] <---Crit Confirmed, bebeh.

Questions for the chief: Did those ehem, unorthodox methods of putting the foe off-balance, like crap-coating and lantern-oil-flaming, did those pan out, or were they a waste of resources... and infection-hazard?

That was a question on ruling... Now for a question on the rules... I read up on Power Attack in Pathfinder. And, unless I am mistaken, it ends up better in the crap-and-grit-levels, but loses luster in the higher levels? Correct me if I'm mistaken, but if, say, Power Attacking at level 8... -3 to hit: +6 damage (+9 if two-handing)... whereas the old PA would have been -8:+8(+16 if two-handing)? Are those calculations mistaken?

...huh. And if they aren't, looks like Pathfinder's Power Attack doesn't hit as hard in the long run, but hits more often.

1: The lantern oil works for one attack and deals the fire damage. The rest of it... Not so much. Covering oneself in faeces isn't exactly a good way to intimidate a bunch of bandits who live in the wilderness. Probably best to avoid tactics like that in the future, all things considered.

You are correct on Pathfinder's Power Attack. It's a straight-up scaling penalty in exchange for extra damage. That said, I like Pathfinder's mechanic way more than 3.5. The 3.5 Power Attack encouraged players to metagame the hell out of things, and offered smaller returns per point invested. In Pathfinder, Power Attack is actually something worth using with one-handed weapons, which is always a good thing. Mechanically, it's probably more powerful as well outside of the fringe cases where you were hitting on a 2 anyways, or a certain couple of combos that generally proved somewhat overpowered.

Finally, way to go. The dice roller certainly is favouring you right now, much more so than my dice are favoring the bandits... Also, that summary in your post is exactly what I wanted. Thanks.

Moranica
2012-07-26, 04:13 PM
Who are we waiting on?

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-26, 04:23 PM
Ancient Hippo. I was actually planning on botting Caerwyn and resolving the turn this morning, but I've caught a cold of some sort and haven't got around to it yet. I'll make the update some time today, though.

Ancient Hippo
2012-07-27, 03:03 PM
I'm back and ready to post! Sorry that it took longer than I thought. IC post coming in the foreseeable future.

Miraqariftsky
2012-07-28, 01:34 PM
1: The lantern oil works for one attack and deals the fire damage. The rest of it... Not so much. Covering oneself in faeces isn't exactly a good way to intimidate a bunch of bandits who live in the wilderness. Probably best to avoid tactics like that in the future, all things considered.

You are correct on Pathfinder's Power Attack. It's a straight-up scaling penalty in exchange for extra damage. That said, I like Pathfinder's mechanic way more than 3.5. The 3.5 Power Attack encouraged players to metagame the hell out of things, and offered smaller returns per point invested. In Pathfinder, Power Attack is actually something worth using with one-handed weapons, which is always a good thing. Mechanically, it's probably more powerful as well outside of the fringe cases where you were hitting on a 2 anyways, or a certain couple of combos that generally proved somewhat overpowered.

Finally, way to go. The dice roller certainly is favouring you right now, much more so than my dice are favoring the bandits... Also, that summary in your post is exactly what I wanted. Thanks.

Ehhhh-heh-heh. Sorreh 'bout that. My first thought when you'd given us the scenario was to borrow something from Sun Tzu's Art of War--- I don't have my copy to hand right now, but y'all remember the one where one numerically inferior army under the command of a certain tactical genius had holed up in a walled town... He had his men just sweeping the grounds and posted decrepit soldiers on the walls, then, right when the enemy army was arriving, flung open the gates. The enemy general, knowing his rival's reputation, immediately assumed that there was an incredible ambush waiting for him... and so he fled.

Then again, this isn't [yet] a play of armies, we actually have the numerical and positional superiority, so that idea's moot. Besides, Int 7 and craptastic background, Zhaag is definitely no Sun Tzu.

Right-right. On that, if I were to go two-handed, but with Str 20 on rage [thus +5], the modifier becomes 7.5. Should I round up to +8, or round down to +7? And confirm, coupling that with PA (-1/+3), would yield a total potential damage of +11?

Alrighty. Shall I have Zhaag engage Happs or pitch in with helping put out the growing blaze? He's a "bad dung git" who's just lit a house on fire--- just screaming for some smiting. Then again, it's a house, on fire. Got IC reasons for going either way. Then again, still in the throes of Rage--- would he be able to think of the bigger picture and not just fixate on charging Happs and taking him out?

Speaking of the bigger picture, though. If, if Paiku spares some healing for Mr Bandido Gutwound, we've got an extra bugger to interrogate. If Zhaag holds down, or even takes out Happs, that'd be taking out the bandits' leadership. They'd be in disarray, could turn on each other, be open to takeover by us or even repennnnnnnt.

BUT. The. Roof. Is. On. Fire.

But, given their current positions, Zhaag can't get to the fire without going through Happs. Unless I misread the map?

Or... go the incredibly impractical but potentially awesome route--- Charge. Grapple. And HURL Happs at the fire on the roof. If that patch of roof collapses, the ensuing debris could smother the blaze... and the ensuing fall could finish off the dang bugger.

DaedalusMkV
2012-07-28, 04:35 PM
Ehhhh-heh-heh. Sorreh 'bout that. My first thought when you'd given us the scenario was to borrow something from Sun Tzu's Art of War--- I don't have my copy to hand right now, but y'all remember the one where one numerically inferior army under the command of a certain tactical genius had holed up in a walled town... He had his men just sweeping the grounds and posted decrepit soldiers on the walls, then, right when the enemy army was arriving, flung open the gates. The enemy general, knowing his rival's reputation, immediately assumed that there was an incredible ambush waiting for him... and so he fled.

Then again, this isn't [yet] a play of armies, we actually have the numerical and positional superiority, so that idea's moot. Besides, Int 7 and craptastic background, Zhaag is definitely no Sun Tzu.

That's... Actually Romance of the Three Kingdoms. The general in question is actually Zhuge Liang, and the tactic was notable for being exceptionally risky and only working because it was completely out of character for the normally cautious Wei general. It's also at the very least a little bit exaggerated, and probably outright fictitious like much of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Sun Tzu would never condone putting one's most important leader in such a risky position. :smallwink:


Right-right. On that, if I were to go two-handed, but with Str 20 on rage [thus +5], the modifier becomes 7.5. Should I round up to +8, or round down to +7? And confirm, coupling that with PA (-1/+3), would yield a total potential damage of +11?

In Pathfinder, you always round down unless otherwise stated. So +7, not +8.

ChaosLord29
2012-08-01, 09:53 PM
If Caledor wanted to pull Happs back the other way off the battlements, he would have to succeed on a grapple check yes? In addition to a climb check or separately?

DaedalusMkV
2012-08-01, 10:04 PM
ChaosLord: There's no ladder on the northern wall segment. Happs jumped up, with relatively good skill rolls to get him up there (actually, he got lucky. I figured he'd probably faceplant, but he managed to roll well both for his Acrobatics check to grab the side of the wall then climb up.) . You can either try to do the same (DC12 Acrobatics to get enough altitude to grab the wall, then DC10 Climb to climb up) or just try to climb the wall (DC10 Climb check, but it's a Full-round action to climb it and you aren't at the base quite yet, meaning you'd only get half way up this round assuming you passed the Climb check). Also, since you can't Take 10 on this due to combat, there'd be a real chance of failure which would put you even farther behind.

In short: You sure you don't just want to shoot him with that bow you drew? He's got less than 25% of his HP left.

Edit: Ah, didn't get a chance to see your post. Yes, you would need to Climb to get up there, then Grapple to pull him down. If you just wanted to haul him off... I might allow a jump to grab his leg, then a Grapple check to haul him down before he kicks you off, if that's the sort of thing you want to do, as well.

ChaosLord29
2012-08-01, 10:06 PM
Excellent point.

Miraqariftsky
2012-08-02, 01:27 AM
That's... Actually Romance of the Three Kingdoms. The general in question is actually Zhuge Liang, and the tactic was notable for being exceptionally risky and only working because it was completely out of character for the normally cautious Wei general. It's also at the very least a little bit exaggerated, and probably outright fictitious like much of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Sun Tzu would never condone putting one's most important leader in such a risky position. :smallwink:

In Pathfinder, you always round down unless otherwise stated. So +7, not +8.

~facepalm~ !Caramba! So... Clavell, James, ed./trans. The Art of War. Delta, 1989 (place of publication [uh, forgotten)... lied to me? Nuuuuu! Koff. Or, more likely, I'm forgetting. Anyhow, if so then so, thanks for the correction, your honour.

Duly noted, chief. Huh. So, rounding down half-bonuses, eh? Just like ol' D&D 3.5, then.

Regarding the IC:
How's the firefighting going? For what it's worth, Zhaag still has his Rage on, hopefully, that bit of extra power can bring the buckets up that much quicker. [Buckets? Are there more than one at the well? The stunties little folk in the impromptu firefighting brigade might not have quite as much capacity to haul all that wood and water as quickly as it might be needed.]

And in case Happs still ain't detained or dead by the time the fire's out, Zhaag can race over and help out our intrepid knifear with the CHOPPA.

Speaking of dead or detained... that last bandido minion, the one that was gutted but apparently healed by Paiku, what's his current condition?

~~~
Firefighting, eh? Had, hmm, two other characters in previous campaigns involved in firefighting.

We were meeting with a Morgrave professor in a downhive tavern in Sharn.
Local thugs were leering and would have made inappropriate advances at the oh-so-naive priestess and my streetwise rogue would have defused the situation with some gutter-rat fast-talk, a blade, a coin and a smile... but the other bravoes in the party pissed off the ganger boss by shoving their steel at their faces. Prettyboy Prince of Crime demanded we give tribute as restitution for the insult and, knowing she can't afford to lose the advance from this job and the job itself, our Silver Scum Thief Rogue launched another abasing blather-wall of thief-cant... then just as Da Boss was getting to smile... WHAFFOOM! ...she hurled a flask apiece of Alchemacid and Alchemifire at the gangers, sizzling a coupla faces and setting the place on fire. It was a good fight, but we managed to trounce the gangers and put out the fire before it spread too far.

The other one was when my Orc Barbarian was attending a feast at a certain village. Suddenly, goblins and fire elementals warp into the place and wreak havoc. No party action at the time, since the various PCs were simply random revelers who were at the right time and right place with the right skills to help repel the invaders defend the villagers and get them to safety. My bugger bought it when, after tossing a barrel of water at one of the fire daemons failed to put it out immediately, he leapt on the blighter and wrestled it into the mud, holding it there until it sizzled out even while his own flesh crisped away.

ChaosLord29
2012-08-02, 01:19 PM
Ok, settled on a compromise. Using Ray of Frost since it's a ranged touch attack and has a slightly better chance to hit, and almost an equal chance of killing him by my estimation.


Ranged touch attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

DaedalusMkV
2012-08-02, 04:23 PM
~facepalm~ !Caramba! So... Clavell, James, ed./trans. The Art of War. Delta, 1989 (place of publication [uh, forgotten)... lied to me? Nuuuuu! Koff. Or, more likely, I'm forgetting. Anyhow, if so then so, thanks for the correction, your honour.

Duly noted, chief. Huh. So, rounding down half-bonuses, eh? Just like ol' D&D 3.5, then.
Yeah, chances are you're mistaken, maybe just misremembering ancient Chinese sources with a Sun featured prominently. It's not too hard to mis-attribute a passage like that. Or, maybe you got a bad edition. I doubt it, but misprints and intentional lies do happen.

Also, yeah. Just like in 3.5 in that respect. As a general rule, Pathfinder kept most of the more basic rules interactions from 3.5, with minor changes at most. You've got to be careful because there are some weird, fiddly changes in there (for example, spellcasters who take negative levels no longer worry about losing prepared spells or spell slots).

Hopefully my IC post addressed the rest.

Geckus
2012-08-02, 10:17 PM
So, about the bandits... I'm not real inclined towards leniency in this case - Wil will be pushing for the standard punishment for banditry; hanging. What's everyone else's opinion on the matter?


BTW, Daedelus - it's Wilison, not Wiliston. Small nitpick. :)

ChaosLord29
2012-08-02, 10:23 PM
Caledor will definitely push for execution.

Miraqariftsky
2012-08-03, 02:28 AM
Hallo-hallo, discussing disposal of captives?

:thog: Sarry sez ta giff 'em uh chance ta be repenting. :smallfurious: YOUSE BE GOODS NOW, YEZ?

Moranica
2012-08-03, 12:51 PM
Sorry bout that. I did indeed stabalize the bandit. When I heal I will name the spell used in the spoiler and target.

Paiku would prefer to let them live.

Ancient Hippo
2012-08-03, 03:08 PM
So it seems that we have a tie. :smallbiggrin: Caerwyn does not really have very strong feelings about the matter, but being an ex-bandit himself he is a little uncomfortable with executing people for banditry, and prefers just letting them live.

Ancient Hippo
2012-08-03, 03:09 PM
Note to self: Refreshing when an Internal Server Error 500 pops out results in a double post.

Miraqariftsky
2012-08-06, 12:55 PM
Also, what ever happened to Happs' horse? Did I miss my Spot check on that? Or is Happs' horse part of the loot?

DaedalusMkV
2012-08-06, 01:20 PM
Also, what ever happened to Happs' horse? Did I miss my Spot check on that? Or is Happs' horse part of the loot?

Ah, right. There are four horses which the bandits rode in on and I completely forgot about. Four Light Horses, no particular training, simple riding saddles. You can do what you'd like with them.

Ancient Hippo
2012-08-06, 02:17 PM
Sausages!

We could probably also ride them or stuff.

Moranica
2012-08-06, 02:39 PM
Awesome, you could sit on them, and Piaku could be herding them on her wolf. :smallbiggrin:

Miraqariftsky
2012-08-07, 07:42 AM
@^: Ha-ha-ha!

And regarding the horses, hmm. Minimal training, not war-built chargers, simple saddles? Looks like that's proof for Caerwyn's argument, there.

Right. Well. Do we have a couple of summary beheadings chalked up, or are we gunna interrogate 'em for the lay of the land and whatever they could give on this Stag Lord bugger?

ChaosLord29
2012-08-07, 12:15 PM
Oh, let's do interrogate them!

Ancient Hippo
2012-08-07, 02:49 PM
Interrogate the horses? Might work, but I don't think we can find an interpreter anywhere near.

DaedalusMkV
2012-08-07, 03:18 PM
Interrogate the horses? Might work, but I don't think we can find an interpreter anywhere near.

I'm willing to bet you could find a Druid willing to translate if you looked hard enough. 'Course, horses tend to be somewhat unreliable narrators, so you'd need to take anything they said with a grain of salt.

Moranica
2012-08-07, 03:46 PM
I we level up, Paiku could do it ....... But she'd only be able to speak with horses, no other animals.....

Sounds like a plan?

Ancient Hippo
2012-08-07, 05:32 PM
I completely forgotted for a while that Caerwyn is an authority in a secretive cult of an ancient snake-god. And to be honest, that is a quite defining part of his backstory.

Daedalus, do you mind if I cook up a little information about the cult, like tenets, hierachy and such? Mostly so that I could keep internally consistent. :smalltongue:

DaedalusMkV
2012-08-07, 06:24 PM
Go ahead. There's relatively little actual information on the Ydersius cults, so feel free to fill in the blanks.


Edit: Is there a consensus for interrogating the bandits then? I'll be happy to move things along to that if you're ready to. Overall I'd quite like to see this situation resolved one way or the other so we can get to the meat of the game.

ChaosLord29
2012-08-08, 02:45 AM
Caerwyn seems to be the holdout for anything but interrogating then executing them. Caledor is about to suggest that at least one of the bandits could do well to work off his debt to Oleg as an indentured man, but he wants to see Happs hang, if not execute him himself.

Miraqariftsky
2012-08-08, 01:11 PM
Go ahead. There's relatively little actual information on the Ydersius cults, so feel free to fill in the blanks.


Edit: Is there a consensus for interrogating the bandits then? I'll be happy to move things along to that if you're ready to. Overall I'd quite like to see this situation resolved one way or the other so we can get to the meat of the game.

No objection, your honour.
Interrogate, convert and/or purge* and put their heads on spikes. That's still the way Zhaag's vote swings.

*Waitasec! How in tarnation did he, a xenos blighter, become an Imperial Preacher?!

Ancient Hippo
2012-08-08, 05:29 PM
Well, I think that now that Caerwyn washed his hands from the whole matter, I don't think there is major dissent anymore.

If anyone is interested, he opposed executing the bandits mostly because he did not see any good reason for it. He simply does not care about the charter, and thinks that the concept of justice is an invention of the devil(s). And while he is willing to do quite evil things if it is absolutely neccessary, he does have some morals, and murdering helpless people for the hell of it is something that he views as repugnant. (Of course, the others would probably disagree with him about executing the bandits being wanton slaughter.)

So, uh, I hope I managed to clarify a little how his rather unconventional mind works. Or not. :smalltongue:

Geckus
2012-08-08, 06:18 PM
Nothing wrong with a little dissent, Ancient Hippo, as long as everyone knows its all just in character blab and we leave ourselves enough room to keep the group together. I for one have been enjoying the disagreements between Caerwyn and Wil quite a bit. :)

Clearly, there are going to be more in the future, given that several party members have view-points that...don't quite line up.


If Oleg and Svetlana are willing to accept some form of restitution from the unnamed bandit, Wil will go ahead and cast Charm Person on him (using his free spell from his bonded item), then Detect Magic to make sure the spell took before questioning him about the bandit camp/group and the Stag Lord, as well as actually trying to get an honest insight into his history and motivations to see if he is at all repentant (of more than being caught). If the spell doesn't work, it's down to diplomacy/intimidate and sense motive...a much less effective method.

Miraqariftsky
2012-08-09, 12:34 AM
Caramba... Ay, caramba.

@Ancient Hippo: Compliments to ye, bub. IC, of course, Zhaag is rather confused. But OOC (probably will seep into the IC as well)? Feeling, well, guilty.

@Da Chief...and compliments to the chief. I do believe this is one of the few D&D(or D&D 3.P) gigs I've been in that has this degree of, well, moral complexity. Most of the others have been more along the lines of "heroes against tides of terror, doom and darkness, with heretics, madness, monsters and daemons abounding".

Miraqariftsky
2012-08-10, 01:40 PM
Alea Iacta Est.
Just make sure y'all remove the sock so't he can answer.

DaedalusMkV
2012-08-10, 04:11 PM
:smalleek:

I... Was not expecting that out of a Sarenite. Even a half-orc formerly held by slavers. Also, in the future that particular level of detail when describing torture probably isn't necessary. The bit in the spoiler, that is, the rest is just fine. Its a vague area given the euphemisms , but that sort of thing could be construed as a violation of forum rules and the last thing I want is to risk that.

On the other hand, that's a successful Intimidate check, so he'll likely be a bit more responsive to questioning now.

Miraqariftsky
2012-08-11, 02:56 AM
Ehhhh... well, as you'd said, chief, "Whoa! It's [yours truly] outside the Dark Heresy section". Been quuuuuuite a while that I've played D&D/PF. Momentum, I suppose. Inertia.

The twist is? Well. Later on, after the interrogation session.

Geckus
2012-08-13, 07:32 PM
Apologies for the lack of posting on my part - damned work getting in the way of my fun! I should be able to resume regular 1/day posting once this week is out.

Ancient Hippo
2012-08-15, 03:15 PM
I would also like to apologize for my inactivity, the stress of the middle of August got me. :/ It seems that these days are busy for others as well. Regardless, I'll be watching this thread and try to get a post in when something happens.

Geckus
2012-08-17, 04:05 PM
Wil and Zhaag is gonna have to have a little talk when this is all done! :smalleek:

Again, apologies if my absence delayed things overmuch.

DaedalusMkV
2012-08-17, 04:12 PM
Oh thank goodness, I was afraid that I'd somehow killed another of my games somehow...

I'll put up an IC post some time in the next couple of hours, when I'm at home and have my dice and documents to work with.

Miraqariftsky
2012-08-17, 11:49 PM
Wil and Zhaag is gonna have to have a little talk when this is all done! :smalleek:

Again, apologies if my absence delayed things overmuch.

Around a puddle of conscience-vomit, most assuredly.

Ancient Hippo
2012-08-21, 02:16 PM
Ugh, I intended to get an IC post out, but being tired (I have problems sleeping) and feeling slightly ill I can't get anything coherent out. :smallfrown: I'll try again tomorrow.

Daedalus, I would advise sending a PM to Chaoslord and Moranica. There was very little activity for a while, and they might think that the game is dead. And they don't seem like people who just suddenly lose interest and disappear.

DaedalusMkV
2012-08-21, 03:52 PM
ChaosLord was absent for last week, apparently out at a cabin somewhere without an internet connection unexpectedly according to his own game. I expect he'll show up again once he's caught up with that. I know Moranica has the thread bookmarked, so a PM wouldn't necessarily get anywhere at this point.

Would you like me to wait for your IC post before my update?

Moranica
2012-08-21, 04:04 PM
Post coming up :smallbiggrin:

Ancient Hippo
2012-08-22, 01:17 AM
Would you like me to wait for your IC post before my update?

Please don't let me slow you down, update when you wish.

Miraqariftsky
2012-08-22, 06:58 AM
Please don't let me slow you down, update when you wish.
Otherwise known as... "For the Greater Good".
Koff. And get well soon, bub.

Ancient Hippo
2012-08-24, 05:11 PM
Um... I don't mean to sound impatient, but could we move on with the story at the earliest opportunity? I just can't think of anything smart for Caerwyn to do. :/ (Believe me, I have tried. But there are only so many hours I can write a post without producing anything satisfactory.)

In case someone wants to vote about letting Happs tag along, I say we let him, but keep pointy things out of his reach. (Just in case)

DaedalusMkV
2012-08-24, 05:29 PM
Um... I don't mean to sound impatient, but could we move on with the story at the earliest opportunity? I just can't think of anything smart for Caerwyn to do. :/ (Believe me, I have tried. But there are only so many hours I can write a post without producing anything satisfactory.)

In case someone wants to vote about letting Happs tag along, I say we let him, but keep pointy things out of his reach. (Just in case)

I'd say that Happs has said pretty much everything relevent at this point that he knows. Once the decision is made of what to do with him, we can get on to the meat of the game.

Actually, seems like a good time. I'll need decisions on the following points:

1: What do to with Happs and the other captured bandit? Will you let him lead you to the Bandit camp, try to ship him back to Restov or just have them both killed?

2: Where will you go? Would you like to head for the bandit camp immediately and directly or explore the surrounding area first? If the latter, Oleg suggests you either head southwest to look for a local hermit famed for his potion-making or southeast to an area well-frequented by local trappers.

3: If you head for the bandit camp, will you go at full speed or take your time to explore and map out the region on the way there?

I'll just take anything that gets a simple majority as consensus and move things along.

Geckus
2012-08-24, 09:45 PM
Not at all inclined to let Happs lead us to the camp - unless its less than an hour away, the Charm Person will wear off and I definitely dont trust him enough to have him nearby without that. Kill them both, cleanly, and then get on with the job.

I dont mind heading directly to the bandit camp; wed be a bit lower on magic resources than after resting up, but getting there quickly gives us a greater chance of catching them before they suspect anything has happened to their tribute collectors.

DaedalusMkV
2012-08-24, 10:32 PM
Not at all inclined to let Happs lead us to the camp - unless its less than an hour away, the Charm Person will wear off and I definitely dont trust him enough to have him nearby without that. Kill them both, cleanly, and then get on with the job.

I dont mind heading directly to the bandit camp; wed be a bit lower on magic resources than after resting up, but getting there quickly gives us a greater chance of catching them before they suspect anything has happened to their tribute collectors.

Happs can only give you a vague generalization of how to find the camp without him. You'll need to search the surrounding area to find it, which will take a bit of time and risks being discovered by the bandits while you look.

The camp is about nine hours away by horse, and if you don't have Happs around it will take at least a few more hours to find it after you arrive in the general area. You probably can't make it in a single day, if that changes your decision any. Also, I'll update the map with the general location of the bandit camp in a minute or two.

Miraqariftsky
2012-08-25, 02:44 AM
Not at all inclined to let Happs lead us to the camp - unless its less than an hour away, the Charm Person will wear off and I definitely dont trust him enough to have him nearby without that. Kill them both, cleanly, and then get on with the job.

I dont mind heading directly to the bandit camp; wed be a bit lower on magic resources than after resting up, but getting there quickly gives us a greater chance of catching them before they suspect anything has happened to their tribute collectors.

If Wilison says so. Zhaag trusts the Little Master to know what's best.

Ancient Hippo
2012-08-25, 03:27 PM
1: What do to with Happs and the other captured bandit? Will you let him lead you to the Bandit camp, try to ship him back to Restov or just have them both killed?

2: Where will you go? Would you like to head for the bandit camp immediately and directly or explore the surrounding area first? If the latter, Oleg suggests you either head southwest to look for a local hermit famed for his potion-making or southeast to an area well-frequented by local trappers.

3: If you head for the bandit camp, will you go at full speed or take your time to explore and map out the region on the way there?



1: Well, I think Happs fate is pretty much sealed, as he already has two votes for his death, and I don't think Caledor will suddenly change his mind. (On that matter, I still think you should send ChaosLord a PM or something, as he has posted on the other Kingmaker games he DM:s/plays in, but not here. I imagine it's hard to keep track/remember three different Kingmakers.)

For the other bandit, Caerwyn has a letter that can not be trusted to people with upstanding morals, and the bandit could deliver it for him. (He has a +10 in Diplomacy against bandits, so he could probably persuade the bandit to help him.)

2:Let's just go straight for the camp. The only thing I have used is a Judgement, and it's not that powerful at low levels.

3: Might as well map it as we go.

Miraqariftsky
2012-08-27, 01:26 PM
@^: Question fer ye, ol' chap. What's Caerwyn's take on suddenly having some brute's aid with burial duties and then him stumbling off after metaphorically headbutting a minor philosophical/existential crisis?

Ancient Hippo
2012-08-28, 04:17 PM
@^: Question fer ye, ol' chap. What's Caerwyn's take on suddenly having some brute's aid with burial duties and then him stumbling off after metaphorically headbutting a minor philosophical/existential crisis?

Confusion, mostly. However, after seeing Zhaag in action, he is quite unwilling to question the half-orcs actions.

Also, every time you write "little master" I read it as "little monster" or "little mobster".

Miraqariftsky
2012-08-30, 02:09 AM
Confusion, mostly. However, after seeing Zhaag in action, he is quite unwilling to question the half-orcs actions.

Also, every time you write "little master" I read it as "little monster" or "little mobster".

AH-HA-ha-hahahaha! Heh, sorreh, ol' chap. Looks like nobody here watches/used to watch Chinese/Korean drama? I forget the names, but more than once, there'd been a son-of-a-tycoon/rich guy/politico/merchant lord character whom others refer to as "young master". The "little master" is a reference to that.

DaedalusMkV
2012-08-30, 11:23 PM
Okay, looks like everyone's weighed in now. The majority clearly support leaving the surviving bandits to their fate and heading out for the bandit camp on your own to deal with them, exploring and mapping as you go. Does this work for everyone? If it does, I'll move things along in the morning.

Ancient Hippo
2012-08-31, 08:37 AM
Sounds perfectly fine for me.

ChaosLord29
2012-08-31, 01:23 PM
Like to apologize to everyone for my extended absence, I am going to redouble my efforts to post in a much more timely manner from here on out, and am glad to see the campaign moving forward despite my own neglect. That said, Paiku, I don't suppose we could take Daedalus up on his most kind offer and give Caledor a healing spell? Otherwise, he'll be in worse than bad shape.

Ancient Hippo
2012-08-31, 03:50 PM
Didn't Paiku already heal Caledor back in post #80?

...I should take CLW next level, shouldn't I?

DaedalusMkV
2012-08-31, 03:57 PM
Didn't Paiku already heal Caledor back in post #80?

...I should take CLW next level, shouldn't I?

Ah, so she did. I must have missed that. Which means that Caledor isn't at negative hit points from the wolf's bite, but doesn't entirely negate the wound. I'll leave it up to you guys whether any further heals would have gone through, then.

Moranica
2012-08-31, 06:33 PM
Yup, already healed him.

Where's Moro? Paiku's wolf? I'm fine with her not riding on him, but he shouldn't be far off, after they leave the fort.

DaedalusMkV
2012-08-31, 06:53 PM
Moro is wherever he would be shortly after the group sets up camp. I was pretty sure that Paiku wouldn't still be sitting on him and he failed his perception check too (the wolves rolled really well). He's pretty much wherever you want him to be, since it doesn't change much of what's happened however you look at it.

Moranica
2012-09-01, 04:34 AM
Alright, sounds good! I'll have him save the day of course. :smallbiggrin:

DaedalusMkV
2012-09-01, 11:30 AM
Nexus: That's not how drawing weapons or shields works in Pathfinder. Or 3.5 for that matter. A BAB 1 character can draw a weapon as part of a Move action, so you're good for that as you are because of the requisite move, but readying a shield always takes a Move action, as does dropping a Heavy shield. So, you can't make your AOO with the Warscythe and have your shield equipped without forgoing this round's attacks. Would you prefer to lose out on the shield or the AOO?

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-01, 01:27 PM
Nexus: That's not how drawing weapons or shields works in Pathfinder. Or 3.5 for that matter. A BAB 1 character can draw a weapon as part of a Move action, so you're good for that as you are because of the requisite move, but readying a shield always takes a Move action, as does dropping a Heavy shield. So, you can't make your AOO with the Warscythe and have your shield equipped without forgoing this round's attacks. Would you prefer to lose out on the shield or the AOO?

I stand corrected, your honour. It seems certain experience with certain previous groups may have glossed over certain things in that regard.

Right, then. Standing ready to revise, your honour. IC-wise, the polearm was there as "walking stick that happens to be pointy".

"Zhaag is the only one who made his Perception check to act in the surprise round, which means that he gets to start the fight with weapon in hand and ready."--- Singular, hmm. Shield's already out and on despite having a pointy walking stick in the other hand--- impractical, but he wasn't truly trained in the effective use of polearms. W'elp, scimitar, then. Let the pointy walking stick drop, rip out the scimitar and lash into the critters about to eat our healer, that sound alright?

Hrhmm. On that... does the roll of 13 hit?

DaedalusMkV
2012-09-01, 01:32 PM
I stand corrected, your honour. It seems certain experience with certain previous groups may have glossed over certain things in that regard.

Right, then. Standing ready to revise, your honour. IC-wise, the polearm was there as "walking stick that happens to be pointy".

"Zhaag is the only one who made his Perception check to act in the surprise round, which means that he gets to start the fight with weapon in hand and ready."--- Singular, hmm. W'elp, scimitar, then. Let the pointy walking stick drop, rip out the scimitar and lash into the critters about to eat our healer, that sound alright?

Yes, that sounds fine. Again, you wouldn't be able to have your shield equipped in that case, but there's no problem with you taking a swipe with your warscythe then dropping it to draw your scimitar and wading into the fight with that. The problem was the shield, really.

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-02, 01:16 AM
Yes, that sounds fine. Again, you wouldn't be able to have your shield equipped in that case, but there's no problem with you taking a swipe with your warscythe then dropping it to draw your scimitar and wading into the fight with that. The problem was the shield, really.
Alright, thanks for the correction. Confirmation, chief--- now that it's been revised, no problem?

Hmm. Tempting offer, thanks, but nah. Ah, caramba, OOC [polearm's utility and control] vs IC ["duh, dis ere pointy walky stick? unno. Zhaag pick ting up summhere-summhere. Wuz in duh hands of summ poor dang dedd git hwar durr wuz lots o' poor dang dedd gits. Liddle master sez it wuz uh batt-ull-feeld und militia uh summ-whoos-gits dunno whoo. Iz nice walky stick dohh, nice fer bringeeng de pork chops too, but Zhaag be more easy wid duh sword an' dah board, an' dah board nott be boring too"]...
...w'elp. IC wins out.

Er... apologies to Caledor for not taking the AoO.

ChaosLord29
2012-09-02, 01:20 PM
Alright, thanks for the correction. Confirmation, chief--- now that it's been revised, no problem?

Hmm. Tempting offer, thanks, but nah. Ah, caramba, OOC [polearm's utility and control] vs IC ["duh, dis ere pointy walky stick? unno. Zhaag pick ting up summhere-summhere. Wuz in duh hands of summ poor dang dedd git hwar durr wuz lots o' poor dang dedd gits. Liddle master sez it wuz uh batt-ull-feeld und militia uh summ-whoos-gits dunno whoo. Iz nice walky stick dohh, nice fer bringeeng de pork chops too, but Zhaag be more easy wid duh sword an' dah board, an' dah board nott be boring too"]...
...w'elp. IC wins out.

Er... apologies to Caledor for not taking the AoO.
No apologies necessary, I'll live. Hopefully . . .

Ancient Hippo
2012-09-02, 03:42 PM
That's the spirit! Now stand up and fight! And provoke AoO from the wolf. Though if you don't stand up, the wolf will get a +4 on his next attack, which is also no good. Though the main point is to do something! (What? Impatient? me? :smallbiggrin:)

DaedalusMkV
2012-09-06, 01:33 PM
This is a reminder that I'm still waiting on actions from ChaosLord and Geckus, in case you'd forgotten.

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-07, 10:16 AM
Tu-de-doo-de-doo... Hmm. Would it be unfair to suggest the GM [temporarily?] run characters if players are absent [for too long]?

Moranica
2012-09-07, 02:09 PM
Yes, about that.

I'll be camping for two weeks. Feel free to NPC Paiku in the meantime.

DaedalusMkV
2012-09-07, 08:43 PM
I'll give them a bit more time, but you're right. I'm going to have to bot them if they don't post soon. Which is a problem, because we're talking about almost half of the group. More than half while Moranica's gone. It's... Really not a good sign, shall we say.

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-10, 02:19 PM
Ha-HAH! Take THAT! Not a crit, but presumably enough to rend this bugger asunder?

To my fellow common players: Supposing that is enough to take this one out, I propose Moro engage the wolf that's busy with the horses, then Zhaag and Caerwyn gang up on the one about to eviscerate poor Caledor. Whatsay y'all?

DaedalusMkV
2012-09-13, 12:01 PM
ChaosLord, shouldn't Caledor be in the negatives right now? I'm pretty sure that he only had six HP left after the heal from Paiku, and he's taken ten damage from the wolves so far in this fight. Just checking to see if I'm missing something here.

ChaosLord29
2012-09-13, 12:03 PM
ChaosLord, shouldn't Caledor be in the negatives right now? I'm pretty sure that he only had six HP left after the heal from Paiku, and he's taken ten damage from the wolves so far in this fight. Just checking to see if I'm missing something here.

I was at 8 hp after the heal from Paiku, but you're right that 10 damage still knocks me down into the negatives (I only counted 6 damage, my bad). I'll revise my post presently.

DaedalusMkV
2012-09-19, 12:49 AM
Just out of curiousity, did any of you want to do anything about the two currently unconscious but soon to be active and again ravenous wolves left over from that fight? Preferably before going to sleep? The first one still has five Rounds of unconsciousness left before he reverts to Stunned for four more, but they seem to have been forgotten for some reason.

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-19, 12:58 AM
Just out of curiousity, did any of you want to do anything about the two currently unconscious but soon to be active and again ravenous wolves left over from that fight? Preferably before going to sleep? The first one still has five Rounds of unconsciousness left before he reverts to Stunned for four more, but they seem to have been forgotten for some reason.

Not sleeping until somebody else relieves him on watch duty. I had assumed Paiku might have wanted to interrogate or mystically investigate them... Wait. Oops. GAH. She's an Oracle, not a Druid! My mistake.

Erngh, unless Willison had other orders? Otherwise... might hafta revise. Dem dedd uns iz goin to da cookpot.

ChaosLord29
2012-09-19, 01:18 AM
Took care of the wolves with Caledor's post. It seemed to fit well with his character and solve our problem for us.

I feel like I've been the major sticking point in this game for a while now, and really think I need to do more than just apologize about it. That said, I am sorry that everyone has been forced to wait on me these past few rounds of posting (especially you Daedalus) and will endeavor to be more decisive in when and what I post.

Ancient Hippo
2012-09-19, 05:17 PM
No problem buddy, better late than never. :smallsmile:

Also, I suggest that Moro takes the other watch, since he is the only "party member" other than Zhaag who does not need to regain spells. Apart from that, I think we are ready to transition to the next morning.

ChaosLord29
2012-09-19, 06:39 PM
No problem buddy, better late than never. :smallsmile:

Also, I suggest that Moro takes the other watch, since he is the only "party member" other than Zhaag who does not need to regain spells. Apart from that, I think we are ready to transition to the next morning.

Good point, though Caledor only needs the 4 hour meditation, he still needs to be 'resting' for 8 hours.

DaedalusMkV
2012-09-20, 01:31 AM
Alright. I will make the transition to the next day in the morning, being very tired right now. Luckily, having already dealt with the only roving threat in this section of the woods at this particular time, there's no chance of another random encounter. Also, XP counter is updated in post number 1.

Ancient Hippo
2012-09-20, 10:16 AM
Halfway there. :smallcool:

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-21, 12:59 PM
Question for the chief: No offense meant to anybody, but... What's the sitrep on this party's bossman? Far as I can tell, the only other one who'd interrogated Happs was Caledor. Thus, the question becomes, who's gunna be our Face, in the absence of Mr Geckus?

Question for ChaosLord: Well, humour aside, ol' chap, outta curiousity, I hafta ask, what was it that Caledor meant with his question in the IC?

ChaosLord29
2012-09-21, 01:07 PM
Haha, that's a twist, when we can't understand the elf's needlessly flowery speech. He was asking how Paiku and Zhaag metup originally.

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-22, 04:56 AM
Haha, that's a twist, when we can't understand the elf's needlessly flowery speech. He was asking how Paiku and Zhaag metup originally.

No, no, that was understood, and now confirmed. The OOC retort to that, my good fellow, would be "What's the relationship between a warrior and a healer? Or two fellow mercs, for that matter"

DaedalusMkV
2012-09-22, 01:52 PM
ChaosLord:


You detect no magic from the waterskin. A closer examination reveals nothing of particular interest which wasn't immediately obvious from the taste in your mouth. Either somebody snuck into camp to replace your water with bitter juice, one of your companions is playing a joke on you, or it was transmuted by some sort of magic which has since faded.




No reply from Geckus yet. He doesn't appear to have been logged in at all since about two weeks ago. I'll notify you if anything changes. If it doesn't, I'll... Find some way to resolve it.

Moranica
2012-09-22, 04:32 PM
Back and kicking!!

So, are we fully rested as we approach?

Ancient Hippo
2012-09-22, 06:15 PM
Glad to have you back, but please don't kick me. :smallfrown:

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-23, 12:49 PM
Back and kicking!!

So, are we fully rested as we approach?

Welcome back... HWOTAH! ~kickback!~

Koff. Ehem. Right. How was your camp?


No reply from Geckus yet. He doesn't appear to have been logged in at all since about two weeks ago. I'll notify you if anything changes. If it doesn't, I'll... Find some way to resolve it.

Acknowledged and appreciated, chief. Similar to how the Ratcatchers will eventually be resolved, I take it?

Moranica
2012-09-23, 03:10 PM
Very nice!! :smallsmile: Sun, swimming pools, medieval castles build into cliffs. Lots of inspiration!!

DaedalusMkV
2012-09-24, 01:41 PM
So, how would you guys like to proceed? You're within range of what appears to be the bandit camp now. Would you like to try to scout it out, attack right away or something else?

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-24, 09:14 PM
So, how would you guys like to proceed? You're within range of what appears to be the bandit camp now. Would you like to try to scout it out, attack right away or something else?
OOC: Reconnaissance. Preparation. Wait for twilight. Let loose the horses with lit torches tied to their tails and blades flailing from their harnesses. Take advantage of the chaos, kill any bandidos who look like leaders, then either kill the rest or convince them to surrender themselves to our command, by right of WAAAGH, er, conquest.

IC: Uhhhh, wot wuz da liddle master's plan? Eh-hey, Caal-ye-door, wot-wot, duzz Zhaag go in an' make dah CHOPPA now?"

Oh. And wait. Have we resolution for the whatsit-or-other with Caledor's water?

DaedalusMkV
2012-09-24, 11:20 PM
Oh. And wait. Have we resolution for the whatsit-or-other with Caledor's water?

Unless you do anything else about it, nothing further is forthcoming. Watever it was, it doesn't seem to have been harmful.

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-26, 02:51 AM
Understood, chief. Turning the turn over to one of these other fine fellows, though. Bad form, to go post twice in a row, eh?

Ancient Hippo
2012-09-26, 03:28 PM
Urgh...

Sorry I have not posted in a while, I had an incoming thingy that I had to study for. And uncharacteristically, I actually studied for it.

Post coming soon.

EDIT: Just noticed that I had written "Caledor" instead of "Caerwyn" in the IC post. [/facepalm] In my defense, they begin with the same letters. Still, forgetting your own character's name is kind of inexcusable.

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-28, 09:01 AM
Hmm. Interesting. "B" clearly stands for "Bandido" but what do the numbered "K"s stand for?

And, where are the oh-so-intrepid explorers [both the active ones and the ones currently being DMPC'd] in relation to the bandidos?

Alright, chaps... strategy, gameplan? ARE we going to diplomatize these buggers OR are we going to exterminate them? Or somewhere midway--- as in, follow Geckus' plan of making a grab for their leadership? Or am I mistaken? Or any other suggestions from y'all?

But if we are to go on the warpath on this engagement, I propose that we cut into them from the east. Zhaag uses his "pointy walking stick", charges into their centre. If all goes well, he'll take out one of those middle bandits while the two skirmishers take out the other middle bandit. Anticipated tactics from the remaining bandidos down south? Probably bowfire. Meanwhile, supporting fire from our casters should take out the lone bandido up north-ways. That done, focus should shift to the southward survivors. If possible, Zhaag shall charge across, with either Caledor or Caerwyn covering his back and the casters provide close-support, Moro providing flanking / mop-up. Sound good? Any suggestions?

Ancient Hippo
2012-09-28, 10:16 AM
If we are going to try diplomacy, I have a plan that involves radishes and Moro.

...Why are you looking at me like that?

ChaosLord29
2012-09-28, 11:58 AM
Hmm. Interesting. "B" clearly stands for "Bandido" but what do the numbered "K"s stand for?

And, where are the oh-so-intrepid explorers [both the active ones and the ones currently being DMPC'd] in relation to the bandidos?

Alright, chaps... strategy, gameplan? ARE we going to diplomatize these buggers OR are we going to exterminate them? Or somewhere midway--- as in, follow Geckus' plan of making a grab for their leadership? Or am I mistaken? Or any other suggestions from y'all?

But if we are to go on the warpath on this engagement, I propose that we cut into them from the east. Zhaag uses his "pointy walking stick", charges into their centre. If all goes well, he'll take out one of those middle bandits while the two skirmishers take out the other middle bandit. Anticipated tactics from the remaining bandidos down south? Probably bowfire. Meanwhile, supporting fire from our casters should take out the lone bandido up north-ways. That done, focus should shift to the southward survivors. If possible, Zhaag shall charge across, with either Caledor or Caerwyn covering his back and the casters provide close-support, Moro providing flanking / mop-up. Sound good? Any suggestions?

Generally, I like this plan. I have to remember that as a first level gish, I'm not the badass caster or fighter I want to be, just yet. God I can't wait till I get some armor proficiency. Until then, I think having you charge in while we casters pick off and disrupt any coordinated defense is a good strategy.

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-28, 12:35 PM
Very nice!! :smallsmile: Sun, swimming pools, medieval castles build into cliffs. Lots of inspiration!!

Annnnnd sorry I missed this. Beautiful. I suppose the wind was great as well?

Anyhow, looks like one vote for "Rads Dish Out Some Dogplomacy" and one vote for "Kill Dem Gits". Wonder where Moranica's vote's going?


Generally, I like this plan. I have to remember that as a first level gish, I'm not the badass caster or fighter I want to be, just yet. God I can't wait till I get some armor proficiency. Until then, I think having you charge in while we casters pick off and disrupt any coordinated defense is a good strategy.
Alrighty, thankee.
Inquisitor... Isn't the Pathfinder Inquisitor supposed to be some kinduvva half-Rogue-half-Paladin-half-Cleric kind of kick?

Also, if all goes well, Surprise Round should end with half of them down, start of First Round should give us a good footing for charges / maneuvering / shooting / even some Intimidation. Second Round, all six bandidos should be frakked and/or fleeing... thus leaving Zhaag with a good deal of Rage-juice, in case they've got reserves that we haven't detected.

That is, if the dice gods favour us. Hopefully/Oafpully.

ChaosLord29
2012-09-28, 12:38 PM
That is, if the dice gods favour us. Hopefully/Oafpully.

Please refer to item six in my signature haha.

So, how do we want to kick this off exactly?

Miraqariftsky
2012-09-28, 12:48 PM
Please refer to item six in my signature haha.

So, how do we want to kick this off exactly?

Har-de-harharhar.

Eh? As I'd already proposed, unless there are any objections. Charge, flank, support, repeat as necessary.

It'd be fair to wait for Moranica's input though. Come in bearing a white flag or rush in and hack 'em to bits, that sort of thing. Or the midway--- beat 'em into a pulp, get the survivors to join us as "repentant minions".

Or the fourth way--- Care to explain your radishes-and-doggie diplomacy plan, Hippo?

Ancient Hippo
2012-09-28, 01:10 PM
The radish plan will probably result in combat anyways, so I'll vote for CHARGE!

...Though it would be awesome if it worked. :smallbiggrin:

Basically, the plan would go somewhat like this.

1. Caerwyn walks to the camp with a radish held in the hand.
2. Bandits go :smallconfused:
3. Caerwyn tells them that the radish is a radish of death, and that he can kill anyone with just touching them with the radish.
4. Bandits go :smallbiggrin:
5. Moro walks out from the woods like a boss.
6. Caerwyn hits Moro with radish.
7. Moro plays dead.
8. Bandits go :smalleek:

Yeah, basically that. Unless the bandits shoot him before he manages to get close. Or he fails his Bluff check. Or anything that leaves him in the middle of half a dozen angry bandits with a radish in hand.

So yeah, let's go with CHARGE!


Inquisitor... Isn't the Pathfinder Inquisitor supposed to be some kinduvva half-Rogue-half-Paladin-half-Cleric kind of kick?

Pretty much. :smallsmile: Is casty, but less than Cleric, has good skills, but less than Rogue, and is fighty, but less than Paladin. (But get's Detect Anything and Smite Anything, which make up for that.)

DaedalusMkV
2012-09-28, 01:32 PM
You are coming in from the northeast, since that's the direction you were travelling from, but you can easily move around the camp to attack from any direction you might want to. Though going over the river is almost guaranteed to get you spotted by their sentries due to lack of cover if you try that.

The Ks stand for "none of your koncern, non-DMs".



... That Radish plan is terrible. I was quite with you until the last part, where in all honesty the Bandits' reaction would have turned into "He's got a Radish of Death! Shoot him!". I honestly don't think there's any way that plan wouldn't result in Caerwyn turning into a reverse-porcupine.

Moranica
2012-09-28, 02:25 PM
Also, how about fog against bow fire? Just give me the signal.

Ancient Hippo
2012-09-30, 03:32 PM
...I hope I did not shoot Zhaag in the back or something. :smalleek:

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-01, 11:38 AM
...I hope I did not shoot Zhaag in the back or something. :smalleek:
Don't worry. Even if he gets accidentally shot in the back, that should either stick or bounce off the shield he's currently got shouldered.

That... actually happened, way back when. One of my first characters. We were ambushed by dire wolves at night in a dark forest. My Fighter/Cleric charged in to hold off the pack. The Monk ran in as well, ostensibly to help... and rolled a Nat One... and his staff broke the templar's leg from behind.

Ancient Hippo
2012-10-01, 01:00 PM
Don't worry. Even if he gets accidentally shot in the back, that should either stick or bounce off the shield he's currently got shouldered.

That... actually happened, way back when. One of my first characters. We were ambushed by dire wolves at night in a dark forest. My Fighter/Cleric charged in to hold off the pack. The Monk ran in as well, ostensibly to help... and rolled a Nat One... and his staff broke the templar's leg from behind.

Ow.

Critical fumbles are allright at low levels, but it gets significantly less fun at higher levels, when the hastened ranger hits himself every other turn.

ChaosLord29
2012-10-01, 01:04 PM
Don't worry. Even if he gets accidentally shot in the back, that should either stick or bounce off the shield he's currently got shouldered.

That... actually happened, way back when. One of my first characters. We were ambushed by dire wolves at night in a dark forest. My Fighter/Cleric charged in to hold off the pack. The Monk ran in as well, ostensibly to help... and rolled a Nat One... and his staff broke the templar's leg from behind.

First action I ever took in the first campaign I ever played was to shoot myself in the foot with my own bow, while trying to ready it during a surprise round. That was back in 3.0 and my high school days, I'm proud to say it did not reflect the tone of the remaining campaign, or my career as a tabletop gamer since.

DaedalusMkV
2012-10-08, 02:02 PM
Sorry for the delays. This weekend was crazy busy and also Thanksgiving, so I haven't had much of a chance to post. I had plans to have everything updated and everyone warned by friday morning, before the craziness, but... Well, you know what happened with that.

Update (and map, as requested) coming within the hour.

Edit: Just realized that Obscuring Mist can't be cast at a distance. It always has to emanate from the caster's location. Fog Cloud, which is the same thing only capable of fogging at a distance, is a second level spell and thus well beyond Paiku's current abilities. I've attempted to set things up to take best advantage of the spell anyways, putting all of you within the obscured area.

Moranica
2012-10-08, 04:06 PM
Oops, thanks for helping! :smallsmile:

Otherwise it would have been one foggy bush.

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-09, 03:05 AM
Sorry for the delays. This weekend was crazy busy and also Thanksgiving, so I haven't had much of a chance to post. I had plans to have everything updated and everyone warned by friday morning, before the craziness, but... Well, you know what happened with that.

Update (and map, as requested) coming within the hour.

Edit: Just realized that Obscuring Mist can't be cast at a distance. It always has to emanate from the caster's location. Fog Cloud, which is the same thing only capable of fogging at a distance, is a second level spell and thus well beyond Paiku's current abilities. I've attempted to set things up to take best advantage of the spell anyways, putting all of you within the obscured area.
No problemo, chief. We do give thanks for fun and for fellowship all 'round.

...

Well, crap. Luck.

I don't suppose a free-action-together-with-move-action could be either picking up the fallen warscythe or drawing the scimitar?

Ha-ha-ha. Looks like no plan survives contact with both one's enemies and allies. Guys? Some back-up would be appreciated.

Ancient Hippo
2012-10-09, 04:02 PM
Here you are. Now Zhaag's likelihood of getting gutted by a bandit is 10 percentile points smaller. Thank me later. :smalltongue:

Ancient Hippo
2012-10-14, 03:18 PM
Seems like the dice dont like me much. :smalltongue:

By the way Daedalus, I really like the way you write the updates. I can really see in my mind what is happening in the game.

DaedalusMkV
2012-10-14, 05:33 PM
Yeah, that's what, four rolls of eight or lower in a row now? The forum dice roller can be a fickle thing, showering fortune on you one day and letting you roll 5 consecutive ones for your first five rolls in a PbP game (happened to me in a Mutants and Masterminds game. Would've been taken down by a no-name goon if I hadn't been willing to throw a Hero point at it). Hopefully it decides to take pity on you soon.

Thanks for the praise. I'm nowhere near as crazy-in-depth as Nexus is (seriously, nobody goes into the same level of detail as you do, Nexus), but I do my best to keep the details flowing. A constant stream of "your attack misses" or "the attack connects and does some damage" is bland as all get-out, IMO.

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-16, 10:52 AM
Seems like the dice dont like me much. :smalltongue:

By the way Daedalus, I really like the way you write the updates. I can really see in my mind what is happening in the game.

Echoing this fine fellow's appreciation, sir...

...

BAH! HEY DICE DAEMONS! BITE ME, DAMN YOU! HA-HAH!

Ehem. Right. Humour aside, strategy, guys? Should we press the offense as one consolidated unit, split up and try to flank them, or regroup and retreat and attack them again sometime else? Any other ideas or suggestions, fellows?

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-17, 12:07 PM
Revised strategy, fellows...

Chief, I suppose Willison's smart enough to have been anticipating and thus drilling Zhaag in various contingencies and situations?

Alrighty, y'all... plan is for Zhaag to charge in, engage Kressle. One attack at reach, one AoO as she closes in, 12 damage at minimum. It's going to be close--- depending on how well she hits with her one handaxe, she could shave Zhaag down to 2 HP or knock him down to -2. Hey Hippo, thanks for the AC 15. Meanwhile, it might go well if Caledor follows at Zhaag's flank, screening against the rest of the bandido mooks while Willison knocks them out or buffs the intrepid explorers with his spellery. Speaking of spellery, it might go well if Paiku continues to provide her very vital support and Caerwyn continues his harrying. Speaking of harrying, it might go well if Moro either goes around to attack the bandits from the side, a surprise bite-and-fade might disorient them enough for our main body to capitalize from the other side of things.

Alrighty, anybody got any more ideas?

DaedalusMkV
2012-10-17, 01:24 PM
I guess it's probably worth pointing out that 5-foot steps don't provoke AOOs? Yeah, probably should. If you charattack Kressle with the Warscythe, she'll be within range to just 5-foot-step into range, and depending on Feat choices may (okay, since she carries two weapons, will) be able to make two attacks against you rather than one. If that changes your plan any.

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-17, 01:37 PM
I guess it's probably worth pointing out that 5-foot steps don't provoke AOOs? Yeah, probably should. If you charattack Kressle with the Warscythe, she'll be within range to just 5-foot-step into range, and depending on Feat choices may (okay, since she carries two weapons, will) be able to make two attacks against you rather than one. If that changes your plan any.

I was under the impression that "B55S" where a spearman with a polearm threatens a bogey as long as they're not in spitting 5-ft distance?

Well, holy crap, you're right. Hmhm. That it does change the plan. Playing Poker with a polearm would work against a mob, but not against a dedicated melee masher like that.

Hmm. Without Kressle, the plan would have been a straightforward push into the bandit mass, Zhaag as spearhead, resident knifears as flankers, casters as support.

WITH Kressle, they've got a significant threat to our squishies. If Zhaag concentrates on the mob, they can gang up on him and the resident knifears [no offense meant, y'all] won't suffice to hold back Kressle from making mincemeat of our mages. Thus, brute against brute. Strong horse against strong horse. Our forces be then divided. Willison provides spell-artillery and then buffing, Paiku provides healing and buffing, Caerwyn stands as harrying and fire support, Caledor and Moro provide flanking [hopefully stacking] while Zhaag takes out the leadership. [hopefully?]

Also, yes, thanks, chief. Drop, Move + Draw, Shield Up. Next round, Throw, Move + Draw [Scimitar]. Hmm. In light of that, can I draw a mulligan, or since the dice have already rolled, am already committed?

DaedalusMkV
2012-10-17, 04:08 PM
Also, yes, thanks, chief. Drop, Move + Draw, Shield Up. Next round, Throw, Move + Draw [Scimitar]. Hmm. In light of that, can I draw a mulligan, or since the dice have already rolled, am already committed?

Mulligan is fine. If this had been in-person I'd have been able to clarify the rules before you took the action or any dice were rolled. Go ahead and change your IC post to reflect the new set of actions, since we're still waiting on ChaosLord anyways.

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-18, 03:10 AM
Mulligan is fine. If this had been in-person I'd have been able to clarify the rules before you took the action or any dice were rolled. Go ahead and change your IC post to reflect the new set of actions, since we're still waiting on ChaosLord anyways.

Well, well, well. Thankee then, chief. Next turn's Draw + Charge, with drop + tumble then cover fire from Willison of the Colour Spray variety. The more mooks he takes out, the better, since that would enable the rest of us to gang up on Kressle, for +10 to +20 WS oops, for +2 to +6 from flanking. Well, that, or have Willison concentrate on buffing Zhaag, the others engage or neutralize the mooks?

Alrighty, fellows, how's that sound?

DaedalusMkV
2012-10-18, 03:45 AM
Well, well, well. Thankee then, chief. Next turn's Draw + Charge, with drop + tumble then cover fire from Willison of the Colour Spray variety. The more mooks he takes out, the better, since that would enable the rest of us to gang up on Kressle, for +10 to +20 WS oops, for +2 to +6 from flanking. Well, that, or have Willison concentrate on buffing Zhaag, the others engage or neutralize the mooks?

Alrighty, fellows, how's that sound?

Flanking doesn't stack. Flat +2 as an if/then condition.

... Sleep now.

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-18, 04:03 AM
Flanking doesn't stack. Flat +2 as an if/then condition.

... Sleep now.

It... doesn't? Surprising. I stand corrected, chief. Yet again.

Goodnight, then, chief.

DaedalusMkV
2012-10-20, 06:43 PM
So, still waiting on ChaosLord. If he hasn't posted by tomorrow, I'll... I dunno. What should I do if he's fully absent? There's only three other people left at this point, not really enough to do this campaign as envisioned. So, what do we do in that case? I'm open to opinions, really.

Ancient Hippo
2012-10-21, 02:58 PM
Well, in my experience, almost all pbp games end up with some people leaving at some point. I am currently in a pretty long-running one at another site where, even though numerous people have joined and left, most of the original players are still there.

Thus, being the eternal optimist that I am, I believe that with enough time, you will end up with a stable group. I for one, welcome our new insect overlords have been enjoying this game immensely even though it has sometimes progressed quite sluggishly, so I'm all for recruiting some new people and keeping the game running.

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-22, 10:00 AM
Run-out rent apparently ate my reply here.

Right. Once again, seconding the compliments and suggestions of the fellow above me.

Or if I were to put the suggestion into my own words--- Make like Ratcatchers. Persevere. Adapt. Survive. Re-recruit as necessary.

An additional suggestion? If you are against having too many GMPCs dancing as puppets to your strings, you could hand some of them to us? Or, until such a time as would be sensible in-story to be having some additional members, that--- have players field multiple characters... then there's also the option of encouraging ehem contingency characters in case any of these current buggers die.

Ancient Hippo
2012-10-26, 11:33 AM
Only one HP left... Eek.

*Thinks Hard*

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-26, 12:28 PM
Only one HP left... Eek.

*Thinks Hard*

Is charging in to Caerwyn's rescue "thanks" enough for the spell earlier?

Tsk, too bad I can't use a [S]Fate Point[/I] Action Point to reroll that damage. Heh.

Alrighty. And if the chief will allow it... an additional Intimidate check.
[roll0] Booyah!

Ancient Hippo
2012-10-26, 02:38 PM
Is charging in to Caerwyn's rescue "thanks" enough for the spell earlier?


No. You still owe me an apple pie, manicure and ten halfling slaves.

Should have read the fine print!

DaedalusMkV
2012-10-31, 02:04 AM
Alright, with that fight over it's time to evaluate the future. The way I see it, we've got two things to deal with:

1: Two party members with nobody to play them, one of them very closely tied with one of my actives (Willison, of course). What should we do with them? I'm loathe to just kill them off, since I think Willison dying would not be a good thing for Zhaag, so I'm interested to see what you think should be done. If nothing else, I could just have Willison hang around the trading post helping out Svetlana and Oleg, acting as support instead of in an active role.

2: Two empty slots in the roster. I think I'll probably start re-recruitment pretty soon, try to refill them with fresh blood. Ideally, I'd like you guys to be involved in the process to some degree. It's your game and all. I was thinking I'd probably just open up a recruitment thread, look for two fresh characters to fill the gaps. Anyone have any other preferences on how to go about this?

Miraqariftsky
2012-10-31, 01:41 PM
Agreeing on all points, chief.

About Willison--- maybe keep him as a Cain GMPC for a while? And yes, it would seem incredibly contrived for him to just suddenly keel over. And no, that wouldn't be very good for Zhaag's mental wellbeing.

What of our other missing member, Caledor, what happens to him, then?

Hmm. Looks like we need an arcanist and a flanker/wildsman?

On an aside, when you do pop the re-recruitment thread... er, koff... I suppose it would be completely unfair to the others if I had a try at rerolling Zhaag's stats to something better than 15-point equivalent?

Ancient Hippo
2012-10-31, 04:03 PM
1. I agree, killing them off would not really work. The only thing that could just pop in, kill them, leave just as abruptly and still make sense would be a clan of ninja bears. And that does not make much sense. Wilison acting as support at the post sounds pretty good to me. As for Caledor, the new characters bring a letter or something that causes him to think he's more needed elsewhere?

2. Sounds fine.

DaedalusMkV
2012-11-01, 02:43 PM
Agreeing on all points, chief.

About Willison--- maybe keep him as a Cain GMPC for a while? And yes, it would seem incredibly contrived for him to just suddenly keel over. And no, that wouldn't be very good for Zhaag's mental wellbeing.

What of our other missing member, Caledor, what happens to him, then?

Hmm. Looks like we need an arcanist and a flanker/wildsman?

On an aside, when you do pop the re-recruitment thread... er, koff... I suppose it would be completely unfair to the others if I had a try at rerolling Zhaag's stats to something better than 15-point equivalent?

Frankly, Caledor isn't really tied to any other character to a significant degree. I figure it's cool to just have him decide something else is more worthy of his time and wander off. He does have that fancy quasi-intelligent magic sword, after all. Also, yeah, think I'll just have Willison stick around as support at the trading post. Easier for everyone, really.

Hmm... Y'know what, I'm feeling generous today, especially given how all of the remaining group members somehow have sub-par Point Buy equivalents. All of you can increase your stats to 20 Point Buy if you'd like. Increases only, mind, no dropping stats to squeeze a bigger boost in.

XP is going to be up soon. You should be very close to level 2, and if you're just shy of the line I'll bump you up. Don't start levelling up yet... But be prepared for it. XP is up, still a bit shy of level 2. One more fight or significant event should do it, though.

Re-recruitment will open later today. I'll post a link to the thread once it's up.

The Re-recruitment thread is up. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14154102#post14154102)Feel free to introduce yourselves and/or monitor the proceedings as you see fit.

Ancient Hippo
2012-11-06, 12:26 PM
Rolling the potion I messed up in the IC thread.

CLW:[roll0]

DaedalusMkV
2012-11-06, 05:03 PM
Alright, it looks like you guys are about done with this particular scene. Where would you like to head to next? Do you want to head back to the trading-post to sell off your loot and regroup or would you prefer to do a bit more exploring first? With this bandit group dealt with, there's no other immediate concerns, at least that are particularly obvious.

Also, Nexus, you... Didn't actually take any Bandits alive. Of the eight in the camp three escaped, one switched sides and four (including Kressle) died. There isn't actually anyone else to interrogate at the moment.

Moranica
2012-11-06, 05:36 PM
I'm all up for more exploring, after a night of sleep :)

ProudGrognard
2012-11-08, 09:33 AM
Hi everybody. It seems that I will have the distinct pleasure of being part of your team. So let me introduce Kalezin (http://tinyurl.com/d97vjca), the Katapeshian spirit walker (witch) on the run. Expect oriental phrases and silken scarves galore.

Also Dadedalus, I believe that I owe you several Spellcraft checks for the scrolls to learn. Five of them, DC is 16.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

It seems that one of the scrolls did not go through. Did Kalezin have one week to retry?

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-08, 10:11 AM
Alright, it looks like you guys are about done with this particular scene. Where would you like to head to next? Do you want to head back to the trading-post to sell off your loot and regroup or would you prefer to do a bit more exploring first? With this bandit group dealt with, there's no other immediate concerns, at least that are particularly obvious.

Also, Nexus, you... Didn't actually take any Bandits alive. Of the eight in the camp three escaped, one switched sides and four (including Kressle) died. There isn't actually anyone else to interrogate at the moment.

ARRRGGGHH! So THAT"S why! Ye gods. Moranica's right with the note on SLEEP, 'cept tack that onto meatspace and I'm sold.

Present vote? Rest, drop by the Mites', drop by the witchdoctor/alchemist's shack and then back to Oleg's Post.

Hmm. On those who escaped, should we track them down and bring them down lest they give word of our activities to their superiors, or should we let them get away to spread rumour and fear?

~~~

And welcome aboard, Grognard. Kalezin was a good read.

Ancient Hippo
2012-11-08, 11:33 AM
Hi Gronard!

I say we get back to the post first and do not make the new players wait. Unless you can introduce them in some other way. If so, let's keep exploring.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-08, 11:41 AM
Hi Gronard!

I say we get back to the post first and do not make the new players wait. Unless you can introduce them in some other way. If so, let's keep exploring.

If they'd come Into the Green from another angle than the one our characters took and then happened to arrive on the scene just in time for some flanking action on our next engagement, HEH, why, that'd be juuuuuust dandy. Or they could have come in from another angle, thus bringing in a hopefully decent recon of that other path's geography and people/s.

DaedalusMkV
2012-11-08, 02:27 PM
It seems that one of the scrolls did not go through. Did Kalezin have one week to retry?
Hmm... While it would be quite reasonable to give you the extra one day it takes to scribe a scroll into your spellbook, I think it'll be more interesting to leave one of the spells unlearned. Having a scroll sitting in his case that he really, really wants to get around to when he gets a quiet day at the trading post or whatever could be a good source of RP.

If they'd come Into the Green from another angle than the one our characters took and then happened to arrive on the scene just in time for some flanking action on our next engagement, HEH, why, that'd be juuuuuust dandy. Or they could have come in from another angle, thus bringing in a hopefully decent recon of that other path's geography and people/s.
Hmm. Let's look at this for a moment:
1: They just aren't sneaky enough to have come in from the west. The monsters between you and civilization in that direction are very, very dangerous and currently extremely aggressive. Jax survived by being sneaky and avoiding fights. Also, Gideon is from Restov. He'd have no reason to be travelling the River Kingdoms. So, maybe not the best idea.
2: The east is a hell of a long way away from you, and there's nothing much there other than Restov, where the obvious place to go would be the trading post. From there, they might have decided to push on and catch up with you, in which case as long as you backtrack a bit you'll run into them.
3: The south... Just no. They'd have to go through two entire Modules worth of territory to come from the south.
4: The north. This could work. If the two of them showed up after the main group and decided to skirt around the inhospitable regions and try to meet up with you, it could work. In this case, though, you'd have to start exploring to the north rather than heading southeast to the Mites.

So yeah. The easy thing to do would be to introduce them at the trading post, but as long as you don't head south I can probably justify introducing them earlier than that.


Also, I just realized that I forgot to update the map with some of Jax's intel. I'll get on that right away.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-08, 02:46 PM
Acknowledged and appreciated, chief.

Speaking of the map... and yes, I realize that the closest Zhaag could come to thinking/saying this IC would be something along the lines of "Iz da backways thattaways be knowed und guarded-like?" would it be wise to circle back, cover the areas up North-West from our current position, to make sure nothing might be creeping up from that side?

ProudGrognard
2012-11-08, 03:12 PM
Thanks for trying to accommodate us, everybody. Anything you choose will be fine by me.

Hmm... While it would be quite reasonable to give you the extra one day it takes to scribe a scroll into your spellbook, I think it'll be more interesting to leave one of the spells unlearned. Having a scroll sitting in his case that he really, really wants to get around to when he gets a quiet day at the trading post or whatever could be a good source of RP.

Nice! I am all for it, then. RP coming up. :-)

DaedalusMkV
2012-11-08, 03:21 PM
Acknowledged and appreciated, chief.

Speaking of the map... and yes, I realize that the closest Zhaag could come to thinking/saying this IC would be something along the lines of "Iz da backways thattaways be knowed und guarded-like?" would it be wise to circle back, cover the areas up North-West from our current position, to make sure nothing might be creeping up from that side?

It certainly couldn't hurt, especially since that's supposed to be the 'less dangerous' part of the Stolen Lands, and thus a little bit safer to explore through. Metagamey, you probably aren't ready to head much farther south until you hit level 2 to begin with. There's some stuff out there with a decent shot at one-hit-killing a level 1 Caster. Plus, Oleg and Svetlana asked you to look for a trapper who went missing somewhere in that direction, and promised a small reward if you did so.

Also, heading north-west would make introducing the new players way, way easier on my part.

Finally, first couple of posts have updated. Once I've got a consensus on which way you want to head, I'll move the IC along.

Athaleon
2012-11-09, 02:23 PM
Hi everybody. Glad to have made it in, apologies for being late. The thread somehow disappeared from my subscriptions. But, I'm eager to get started as soon as a good moment to jump in arises. That would probably be back at the trading post, since he wouldn't have the tracking skill to locate the group except by chance.

Gideon Kaide (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=462544), Human Magus

Ancient Hippo
2012-11-09, 03:03 PM
Hi Athaleon!

I won't be able to post during the weekend, so feel free to bot Caerwyn if the need arises.

Moranica
2012-11-09, 03:20 PM
Yes, easier parts sound exactly like what Paiku needs.

DaedalusMkV
2012-11-11, 03:36 PM
Alright, if I don't hear anything to the contrary in the next day or so I'll move things along to the northwest. Try and find a way of introducing the new players relatively seamlessly as well.

ProudGrognard
2012-11-11, 05:43 PM
Alright, if I don't hear anything to the contrary in the next day or so I'll move things along to the northwest. Try and find a way of introducing the new players relatively seamlessly as well.

Can I ask what do you mean? Should we, as the new players, find a way to justify why we are there and how we came to find the characters? If so, should we assume that we are together and we already travel together? Or are we part of the relied force?

DaedalusMkV
2012-11-12, 03:28 AM
Can I ask what do you mean? Should we, as the new players, find a way to justify why we are there and how we came to find the characters? If so, should we assume that we are together and we already travel together? Or are we part of the relied force?

No, you don't necessarily need to do so by any means. I've already got a vague idea of how I want to get it done, and I'll send some PMs out to get you guys ready for it ahead of time. Unless you have a great idea, in which case I'd be happy to hear it.
As to the rest, I just wanted to assume that Kalezin and Gideon arrived at the Post a couple of hours after the rest of the group left, possibly travelling with the guards promised by Restov, and then chose to set out after the rest of the group in an effort to catch up. If you think a different approach would be better, I'll be happy to go with that instead. Hell, if you want to wait until they get back to the post, I can handle that too.

ProudGrognard
2012-11-12, 05:14 AM
No, I am all good for what you say. Perhaps Kalezin has some letter to deliver to someone as an errand, since he has been traveling around for some time? Thus, making it easier to prove the mutual goodwill? This can easily be fitted in kalezin 's background, if that sounds interesting.

Also, would you mind if I switch away from Mythweavers and go to Google docs for the sheet? Like this? (http://tinyurl.com/ast3x25)

DaedalusMkV
2012-11-12, 05:37 AM
No, I am all good for what you say. Perhaps Kalezin has some letter to deliver to someone as an errand, since he has been traveling around for some time? Thus, making it easier to prove the mutual goodwill? This can easily be fitted in kalezin 's background, if that sounds interesting.

Also, would you mind if I switch away from Mythweavers and go to Google docs for the sheet? Like this? (http://tinyurl.com/ast3x25)

Sure, that could work just fine. Heck, maybe a letter to Willison, with unexplained but dire content that causes him to want to remain in the relative safety of the trading post. Yes...

Sure, don't see why not. I'm not sure why you prefer that format to Mythweavers, but all the information's there so go for it.

DaedalusMkV
2012-11-12, 11:05 PM
I was just starting to write up the next IC post, which will be quite long, when some major school issues came up in meatspace. I've got about four hours worth of work I need to have done ASAP, then more work that needs to be done tomorrow I was planning on doing tonight. Suffice to say, delays will be significant, but I'll try to put it together bit-by-bit and put it up some time tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay, everyone.

Ancient Hippo
2012-11-14, 06:34 PM
Don't worry, I'm in more or less the same situation myself, so I can graciously forgive you. :smalltongue:

DaedalusMkV
2012-11-15, 01:44 AM
Okay, so I'm even later than planned. Oh well, should be clearer now for a couple of days. IC is up, lots of stuff just happened and lots of time just passed.

Is it okay that I skip ahead on days where nothing special happens, or would you prefer to have a chance at RP?

ProudGrognard
2012-11-15, 03:38 AM
Just a quick question:

Are Kalezin and Gideon on foot or riding? Probably the former. I just want to add to the description.

DaedalusMkV
2012-11-15, 04:04 AM
Just a quick question:

Are Kalezin and Gideon on foot or riding? Probably the former. I just want to add to the description.

On foot, since neither of you spent any of your cash on horses.

ProudGrognard
2012-11-15, 04:42 AM
On foot, since neither of you spent any of your cash on horses.

Well, if the rest have horses, this will have to be rectified. Mule FTW!

Athaleon
2012-11-15, 04:40 PM
Just to give everyone the heads up, I'm having a minor medical procedure done so I will not be able to post on November 16-18. Don't feel the need to wait up for me (or the DM can play my character to keep things moving along).

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-16, 08:44 AM
Don't worry, I'm in more or less the same situation myself, so I can graciously forgive you. :smalltongue:
Indeed, same here.


Okay, so I'm even later than planned. Oh well, should be clearer now for a couple of days. IC is up, lots of stuff just happened and lots of time just passed.

Is it okay that I skip ahead on days where nothing special happens, or would you prefer to have a chance at RP?
Alrighty, duly noted, your honour.

Questions on that--- Confirm? Does the current group have any support members who can guard the Standard Issue Filled Up Lootsacks that Zhaag would have to drop if he were to engage? And if he drops his being the party's resident packmule, a 40-ft move rate, coupled with that Pointy Walky Stick (tm) and a Charge action should get him to within optimum engagement distance?


Just to give everyone the heads up, I'm having a minor medical procedure done so I will not be able to post on November 16-18. Don't feel the need to wait up for me (or the DM can play my character to keep things moving along).
Luck to ye, my good fellow. Hope ye get better, whatever it is.

DaedalusMkV
2012-11-16, 01:17 PM
Indeed, same here.

Questions on that--- Confirm? Does the current group have any support members who can guard the Standard Issue Filled Up Lootsacks that Zhaag would have to drop if he were to engage? And if he drops his being the party's resident packmule, a 40-ft move rate, coupled with that Pointy Walky Stick (tm) and a Charge action should get him to within optimum engagement distance?

Sure. Willison and Jax could both be called support characters at this point, and I doubt Caerwyn needs to move too far to engage either. I'd say that if you drop your loot, there should be at least one person around to watch over it.

Miraqariftsky
2012-11-18, 07:56 AM
Ha-ha-ha. Annnnnd I suppose it =is= high time that the dice karma went against me. Nicely done, Hippo. Hopefully, your 20's enough to see us through with the least amount of fuss...

...can't quite imagine it as "like a little girl who found a spider in her shoe". Though, holy hell, thanks for the laugh. Beboggles the plausible explanations for an orcblood botching an Intimidate check. Straggler puberty voice-crack? Witchery? Ate something bad?

@Da Chief: Understood, chief. And I suppose ol' Willison's not yet had quite enough time to explain what in tarnation happened to the shield [or with Caerwyn's bolt, for that matter]? No trace of the unexpected benefactor?

DaedalusMkV
2012-11-26, 02:56 AM
Sorry for my silence. School is currently in the middle of kicking my ass, and I've been faced with the choice between actually finishing my projects, working on this and sleeping enough to not be a zombie. So, hopefully something soon, but I can't make any promises with four projects due this week and two more the week after that.

Edit: Nexus, if Zhaag asks Willison, he'll be able to say that it was pretty clearly the result of a simple Prestidigitation spell. Other than that, you've found no evidence.

DaedalusMkV
2012-11-28, 01:28 AM
Athaleon, don't worry about the colour. Caledor will not be around much longer.

Athaleon
2012-12-13, 09:37 PM
Hit Die: [roll0]

ProudGrognard
2012-12-14, 01:03 AM
So, we level up?

HD [roll0]

New spells learned: Burning hands, beguiling gift
Hex: Cackle

Ancient Hippo
2012-12-14, 08:27 AM
If I roll terribly, I'm blaming you guys for stealing all my luck.

HP: [roll0]

Moranica
2012-12-14, 07:27 PM
Hp [roll0]

Abilities gained:
Charmed animal
Light

Ancient Hippo
2012-12-16, 01:31 PM
Here's the loot that we have accumulated since leaving Oleg's post:


253,1gp
shortsword X 3 (15gp)
shortbow X 3 (45gp)
longbow X 2 (75gp)
Leather X 4 (20gp)
Dagger X 4 (4gp)
mwk Handax X 2 (306gp)
Morningstar (4gp)
Heavy mace (6gp)
studded leather (12,5gp)
music box (90)
earrings (150)
CLW potion (12,5gp)
Alchemist's fire (10gp)

=985,1


My suggestion would be to buy a wand of CLW, then share the rest of the gold evenly for everyone to use as they wish. If Oleg doesn't have a wand like that at hand, though, we might want to keep that CLW potion.

Ancient Hippo
2012-12-19, 03:01 PM
Come on guys, don't disappear just when we have leveled up. :smallfrown:

Moranica
2012-12-19, 03:03 PM
I'm here and level up! :smallbiggrin:

DaedalusMkV
2012-12-19, 04:05 PM
Ah, well, I think I can move things along anyways, give everyone a chance to catch back up. I'll advance the plot back to the trading post a little bit later this afternoon.

ProudGrognard
2012-12-20, 02:05 AM
Hey I am here! Just waiting for the rest.

ProudGrognard
2012-12-21, 04:02 AM
Do you want me to go talk to the guard? Kalezin has a pretty nice Diplomacy score, should that prove necessary.

But if someone else wants to take a shot, tell me.

Ancient Hippo
2012-12-21, 07:30 AM
I guess Caerwyn is the best to handle this situation with his +10 Diplomacy. :smalltongue:

ProudGrognard
2012-12-21, 03:52 PM
Kalezin has a +10 too. :smalltongue:

Moranica
2012-12-22, 04:55 PM
Paiku only understands sign language....

Ancient Hippo
2012-12-27, 08:53 PM
So I finally managed to recover from christmas... Uh, is it morning yet? In-game, I mean.

DaedalusMkV
2012-12-27, 10:47 PM
Not yet, but it will be when I update some time tomorrow.

ProudGrognard
2012-12-29, 03:05 AM
How are we to divide the loot? I mean we were there just for the last part, so...

Also, when you mean Gather Info check, you mean Diplomacy, right?

Also, I am not sure how you want to handle multiple interactions, so I put them all together in the post. Guide me through! :smallsmile:

DaedalusMkV
2012-12-29, 03:13 AM
How are we to divide the loot? I mean we were there just for the last part, so...

Also, when you mean Gather Info check, you mean Diplomacy, right?

Yes, Diplomacy as modified by anything that specifically affects Gathering Information. They do exist, you know.

I'll let you guys decide amongst yourselves how best to divide the money.

Miraqariftsky
2012-12-31, 03:18 PM
Er, oops. Levelled up, eh? [roll0] A point apiece into Survival and Perception, I suppose.

~~~

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR, YEH FRAKKERS!

And may you and yours
From this new January
'Til the month thirteenth
Be joyous and healthy
Prosperous in every course
May they ever you bless
Fellows and ancestors

DaedalusMkV
2013-01-08, 03:23 PM
I'll move things forwards again soon in the IC, I'm just currently in a bit of a bind IRL and it's seriously crushing my creativity right now.

Before I do, though, I'm going to need a clear consensus, or at least an unopposed opinion, on where your group is heading to next.

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-08, 10:19 PM
I'll move things forwards again soon in the IC, I'm just currently in a bit of a bind IRL and it's seriously crushing my creativity right now.

Before I do, though, I'm going to need a clear consensus, or at least an unopposed opinion, on where your group is heading to next.

Hang in there, man. Take it slow, don't overtax.

~~

Let's see now...

Dem Kobolds--- "in the hills"
Dat Dirty Traitor--- [wherever the bandits are (DID we get a fix or at least a bearing on their last known trajectory, chief?)]
The "Foraging"--- [uh, in the forest? Mebbe we can hire a guide or a tracker?]

W'elp. My vote goes to [1]->[2]->[3]. Get the little buggers on our side through Kalezin's talky magick, then use their native lay of the land expertise to help with the two latter tasks. If we get bandit POWs, we can offer them leniency in exchange for aid.

There. Sound good, you guys?

DaedalusMkV
2013-01-08, 10:51 PM
Hang in there, man. Take it slow, don't overtax.

Dat Dirty Traitor--- [wherever the bandits are (DID we get a fix or at least a bearing on their last known trajectory, chief?)]
The "Foraging"--- [uh, in the forest? Mebbe we can hire a guide or a tracker?]

You know that the Stag Lord's main camp is somewhere to the south of the bandit encampment Kressle was in charge of, but have no idea exactly where it might be. It's not a bad idea to assume it's probably somewhere near the Thorn or Skunk rivers (the Thorn is the one that flows to about where the Bandit Camp was, the Skunk is farther to the south), if only for the sake of livability.

As for the "Foraging", you can look at the map on page 1 of this thread to find the Radishes; you've already mapped that part of the map, and it's not actually very far away. The rest of it might be a bit harder to find.

As an OOC warning, the Stag Lord and his boys are intended to be the "end boss" of this module, and between them they represent a difficult set of running fights that can easily result in your group being badly overwhelmed if things turn against you too much. I really wouldn't suggest going for it until you hit level 3 (or even level 4, if you go a bit completionist on exploration) and maybe get some slightly better gear. It's probably a better idea to pursue other bounties first, do some more exploring and establish yourselves better first.

Miraqariftsky
2013-01-09, 05:26 AM
@^: Indeed, precisely. Not taking on the big boss yet, covering the bases, taking out [or in] other contacts/allies/tributaries/territories before making the big push.

~~

By the way, dropped by the ol' d20PFSRD. What happ'd to the iconic characters' portraits?

Ancient Hippo
2013-01-11, 09:54 PM
Urgh...

I'm terribly sorry for my disappearance, but I have had a terrible last few weeks that have left me completely exhausted. :smallfrown: Stuff should get better from now on, though.

I'll try to get a post out tomorrow, but in the meantime I agree with everything that you decide before that. (Unless it is to give up adventuring and start farming those turnips. 100 gp a sack? Damn...)

DaedalusMkV
2013-01-16, 12:42 AM
Er, I may have forgotten about this with all the rest of the stuff going on. If you guys just give me a direction you'd like to travel, or a destination based on the hexes you've already been to, I can move things along.

Must get to updating the map one of these days... Man, I wish I'd used some proper map-making software for this instead of just constantly redoing it in Paint.

ProudGrognard
2013-01-16, 02:06 AM
I vote with Nexus, in the orders of things to do.