PDA

View Full Version : Helping a New Player

umbergod
2012-07-11, 09:52 PM
In the campaign I am about to join, I am getting a friend of mine into dnd for the first time. He's a huge anime and video game nerd so I know he will love dnd. He wants to make an Arcane Archer. Despite that the class generally isn't that great, I figure our dm won't throw anything we can't reliably or intelligently handle, he's not a jerk.

So basically, what is the easiest way to meet the prereqs for Arcane Archer?

Malak'ai
2012-07-11, 10:05 PM
I've always found Ranger/Sorcerer to be the easiest as you get the extra archery feats for free. The DEX and CHA is a good combo for your archery and your dealing with animals, also adds to your social (intimidate) dealings with favoured enimies.

umbergod
2012-07-11, 10:08 PM
Well the DM agreed that for the power of the arcane archer, the requirements are too much. He's dropping the BAB requirement to +4, so that he can go into AA on this 6th level

Malak'ai
2012-07-11, 10:10 PM
So he's allowing feat selection before class level selection? Either way, I would personally still hold off till lvl 7 or 8.

Waker
2012-07-11, 10:13 PM
There aren't too many ways to make Arcane Archer playable. Most of the time you are better off simply dipping it for two levels and then taking a better class. See if your DM is willing to use the PF Arcane Archer, as that one actually progressing spellcasting.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/arcane-archer

umbergod
2012-07-11, 10:14 PM
So he's allowing feat selection before class level selection? Either way, I would personally still hold off till lvl 7 or 8.

Nope, but he is allowing flaws. I figured take on that flaw that gives a melee attack penalty, and he just stays in the back :P easily meet the feat requirements unless one of them requires me to be 6th level?

Namfuak
2012-07-11, 10:15 PM
In the campaign I am about to join, I am getting a friend of mine into dnd for the first time. He's a huge anime and video game nerd so I know he will love dnd. He wants to make an Arcane Archer. Despite that the class generally isn't that great, I figure our dm won't throw anything we can't reliably or intelligently handle, he's not a jerk.

So basically, what is the easiest way to meet the prereqs for Arcane Archer?

Duskblade gives full BAB, so that is probably the fastest way in. However, they have no AoE spells so far as I can tell, and Arcane Channeling does not apply to non-melee attacks, so I don't think that that is the best option.

If I really wanted to make a 1-10 Arcane Archer, I might try Paladin 2/Sorcerer 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 1/Arcane Archer 10/Abjurant Champion 4. You'll have 6th level Sorcerer casting once you get into Arcane Archer, which gets you 3rd level spells (if not that many).

If he is only going to get 2 levels of it (which is generally what people recommend), it could generally fit into any gish build, but I think that Dread Necromancer could get a special mention here. Get far shot, imbue an arrow with fell drain Cloudkill, fire at thorpe, get a hundred free wights.

I would ask your DM if he would allow the class to get 7-8/10 casting advancement. The class would be really nifty if it actually could imbue the arrows with relevantly leveled spells (Imbued Seeker/Phase arrows would be pretty cool combined with, say, Evard's Black Tentacles to start controlling the enemies before you are even in line of sight).

EDIT: Posted this before I read that the requirements were reduced. Honestly, if it isn't advancing spellcasting it probably still won't matter for the suggestions taking all ten levels, since you are going to want some good spellcasting before you enter into it anyway.

umbergod
2012-07-11, 10:18 PM
There aren't too many ways to make Arcane Archer playable. Most of the time you are better off simply dipping it for two levels and then taking a better class. See if your DM is willing to use the PF Arcane Archer, as that one actually progressing spellcasting.
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/arcane-archer

See, this is a new player, and I know thrusting him into too much at once will not be enjoyable. Casters, to play well, aren't easy to do, cept spontaneous casters, since their spell list is generally static. He wants to focus more on boosting his archer skills, and when I offhandedly mentioned how the AA was like a magical based Hawkeye he jumped on it XD

umbergod
2012-07-11, 10:19 PM
hmmm I take that back, maybe some levels in the PF Arcane Archer would be better, and have him go sorcerer/ranger or fighter

HunterOfJello
2012-07-11, 10:20 PM
A Ranger with Sword of the Arcane Order would be the easiest way. You could throw in some Scout to help things out too, I suppose.

It would just be Ranger 6/Arcane Archer X. However, he wouldn't have any real spells to back up him up. Throwing in some Mystic Ranger would be helpful.
~

The best possible solution would be to get the DM to allow the Pathfinder version of the Arcane Archer. (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/prestigeClasses/arcaneArcher.html) It has the same pre-reqs, but is actually worth taking more than 2 levels in.

For that, I'd recommend some use of the Phantom Knight (the Eldritch Knight's older brother) to boost up BAB to get into the arcane archer prc. Something like Fighter 1/Sorcerer 6/ Eldritch or Phantom Knight 2/ Arcane Archer X

Malak'ai
2012-07-11, 10:21 PM
If he's wanting a Hawkeye type archer, and your DM allows, I'd suggest the Deepwood Sniper. Non-magical range extention, can get upto a x5 bonus on crits, every arrow you fire is treated as Keened, can use poisons.

Waker
2012-07-11, 10:22 PM
See, this is a new player, and I know thrusting him into too much at once will not be enjoyable. Casters, to play well, aren't easy to do, cept spontaneous casters, since their spell list is generally static. He wants to focus more on boosting his archer skills, and when I offhandedly mentioned how the AA was like a magical based Hawkeye he jumped on it XD

I understand that, but archery is one of the weakest combat forms in the game. As you progress in levels, your friend will have a harder time feeling relevant in fights, since archery gains such pitiful boosts in damage compared to melee. Having at least a little magic to fall back on will make the experience more enjoyable. A sorcerer is fine to use as the base casting class.

umbergod
2012-07-11, 10:24 PM
Yeah I realized that shortly after hitting post :P Does a SotAO Ranger have a static spell list or is it prepared? I am not familiar with it.