PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul Help

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-11, 10:07 PM
Alright, help me out here.

I've been 'volunteered' to take over our party's divine caster after our near-TPK (my poor, poor Paladin). Problem is, he's a nigh-unplayable mess.

Human Favored Soul of Bahamut 4 (DrM substitution level @ 3rd)

Now, I've convinced my DM to let me rebuild him as I undergo the Ritual of Rebirth (into a Dragonborn), but some things MUST stay the same;

Dragon Magic sub level Claw-as-weapons focus Combat Casting as the first level feat.

Fortunately, I've got excellent overall stats to work with (pre-Rebirth, I've got 17s in Strength, Constitution, Wisdom and Charisma, with a 14 Dexterity and a 12 in Intelligence).

He's one of the primary meat shields in our party, so he's a melee monster. Any suggestions would be helpful, specifically spells known (including the 1st level sorceror spell) and suggestions on making claws work for 'full-time' weapons.

Actually, can claws be used with a buckler? Ur-Priest, I'm looking at you, here.

Also, Warmage; Eclectic Learning or Advanced Learning? The warmage can't decide (he's a level behind).

Xaragos
2012-07-12, 03:33 AM
How about a dip into monk so that you can get Flurry of Blows? I am thinking a good build to take advantage of those would be as follows:

Monk 2, Favored Soul 4, Sacred Fist 10, with possibility for another prc here for flavor.

Better build would probably use cleric levels instead of FS, but tis ok.

There are also some feats that give you bite attacks if you dont have those already, you can add in snap kick, dual weapon fighting tree, Rapidstrike and Improved Rapid Strike, etc.

Just some ideas for you. Hope that helps.

TheOOB
2012-07-12, 03:58 AM
How about a dip into monk so that you can get Flurry of Blows? I am thinking a good build to take advantage of those would be as follows:

Monk 2, Favored Soul 4, Sacred Fist 10, with possibility for another prc here for flavor.

Better build would probably use cleric levels instead of FS, but tis ok.

There are also some feats that give you bite attacks if you dont have those already, you can add in snap kick, dual weapon fighting tree, Rapidstrike and Improved Rapid Strike, etc.

Just some ideas for you. Hope that helps.

Why in the world would a full caster ever take levels of non caster? The party needs a good divine caster, and he could become way better at fighting via spells than a few levels of a crappy melee class will ever provide. Divine Power alone will make him a better combatant than a monk.

Anyways, what you do depends on how powerful your party is. For making claws work, natural weapons just usually are not all that great. A good magic weapon will far outclass natural weapons, so you might be better off just taking the lost feat.

You can use a buckler in the hand with a weapon, but you take a penalty with the attack roll, and I don't think you benefit from it's AC bonus on a turn you attacked with that hand.

As for spells, aside from the basic healing spells, you want to focus on buffs and any offensive spell that doesn't allow saves. As a favored soul your save DC will never be that of a clerics, so save-or-lose spells are not as good for you(though hold person may still be useful for low will targets).

For your sorc spell, magic missile, ray of enfeeblement, and enlarge person are your best bet. I'd suggest ray or enlarge, but magic missile can be good if you want a decent low level damage spell(though I'd just wait for searing light).

Xaragos
2012-07-12, 05:58 AM
Why in the world would a full caster ever take levels of non caster? The party needs a good divine caster, and he could become way better at fighting via spells than a few levels of a crappy melee class will ever provide. Divine Power alone will make him a better combatant than a monk.

Anyways, what you do depends on how powerful your party is. For making claws work, natural weapons just usually are not all that great. A good magic weapon will far outclass natural weapons, so you might be better off just taking the lost feat.

You can use a buckler in the hand with a weapon, but you take a penalty with the attack roll, and I don't think you benefit from it's AC bonus on a turn you attacked with that hand.

As for spells, aside from the basic healing spells, you want to focus on buffs and any offensive spell that doesn't allow saves. As a favored soul your save DC will never be that of a clerics, so save-or-lose spells are not as good for you(though hold person may still be useful for low will targets).

For your sorc spell, magic missile, ray of enfeeblement, and enlarge person are your best bet. I'd suggest ray or enlarge, but magic missile can be good if you want a decent low level damage spell(though I'd just wait for searing light).

Because the OP says:

"He's one of the primary meat shields in our party, so he's a melee monster. Any suggestions would be helpful, specifically spells known (including the 1st level sorceror spell) and suggestions on making claws work for 'full-time' weapons."

Emphasis on making claws work for full time weapons. I agree with you 100% that having caster centric progression and spells is much more ideal in terms of power from a divine caster perspective. The OP has the stats to support the split attribute dependancy of FS which is great, but going FS really isn't ideal for that. For variety sure...

For melee benefit Divine Power is a great level 4 spell and the better choice IMO Righteous Might as a level 5 spell is completely within reach with a monk dip for flurry of blows if the OP wants to keep that melee monster type of flavor.

If not and pure caster is the goal, why not drop favored soul completely and go pure cleric? Dont worry about the claws or any of that stuff and focus on a casting completely. It gives spell versatility as well since you can prepare your prayers tailored to various circumstances switching from buffer to debuff to damage while retaining the ability to heal. And can you say turning ability which the FS lacks and the ability to use said class skills/abilities to enter into almost all of the divine PrCs out there :)

Good selections for Sorceror. If the plan is to go with Righteous Might, I would favor the Ray of Enfeeblement or Magic Missile spell. Other possibilities Feather Fall (though might be NA if you plan on getting wings later on through FS), Grease, Endure Elements, and Comprehend Languages.

Kuulvheysoon
2012-07-12, 11:25 PM

Fortunately, our now-defunct FS player rolled well for stats, so I've landed a 17 in both Charisma and Wisdom.

It's a low-mid op group, and the DM is playing it as such.

I'll probably end up grabbing Enlarge person for the simple fact that we have a warmage in the party.

Because the OP says:

"He's one of the primary meat shields in our party, so he's a melee monster. Any suggestions would be helpful, specifically spells known (including the 1st level sorceror spell) and suggestions on making claws work for 'full-time' weapons."

Emphasis on making claws work for full time weapons. I agree with you 100% that having caster centric progression and spells is much more ideal in terms of power from a divine caster perspective. The OP has the stats to support the split attribute dependancy of FS which is great, but going FS really isn't ideal for that. For variety sure...

For melee benefit Divine Power is a great level 4 spell and the better choice IMO Righteous Might as a level 5 spell is completely within reach with a monk dip for flurry of blows if the OP wants to keep that melee monster type of flavor.

If not and pure caster is the goal, why not drop favored soul completely and go pure cleric? Dont worry about the claws or any of that stuff and focus on a casting completely. It gives spell versatility as well since you can prepare your prayers tailored to various circumstances switching from buffer to debuff to damage while retaining the ability to heal. And can you say turning ability which the FS lacks and the ability to use said class skills/abilities to enter into almost all of the divine PrCs out there :)

Good selections for Sorceror. If the plan is to go with Righteous Might, I would favor the Ray of Enfeeblement or Magic Missile spell. Other possibilities Feather Fall (though might be NA if you plan on getting wings later on through FS), Grease, Endure Elements, and Comprehend Languages.

FoB wouldn't work with claws anyways (as they aren't monk weapons), but a good suggestion.

I'm really, really trying to avoid losing caster levels, as our fighter/warblade and scout are both pretty reckless.

I'm picking up Divine Power ASAP, but I hadn't considered Righteous Might. I'll have to look into that.

I could nab endure elements or comprehend languages as a cleric spell, no need to waste my precious sorc spell, though grease and ray of enfeeblement are good suggestions. Feather fall is a cheap item, so no worries there.

I didn't create the character; I'm just trying to make it more playable. If I had, I likely would have done cleric into Swiftwing (DrM).

All of the help is appreciated, guys.

Xaragos
2012-07-13, 07:20 AM
No problem. I guess I didn't think of claw attacks as not being unarmed attacks. I saw this while searching around:

Dragon Claw
The monastic order of the dragon claw takes only disciples with draconic blood. It aims to unlock the full martial potential of this noble heritage.

[edit] Special:Monks of the Dragon Claw may multiclass freely as Sorcerers.

[edit] Bonus Language:Draconic (replaces skill bonus)

[edit] 1st-Level Feat:Draconic Heritage (CA 77)

[edit] 2nd-Level Feat:Draconic Skin (CA 78)

[edit] 6th-Level Feat:Draconic Resistance (CA 78)

[edit] 6th-Level Bonus Ability:6th level bonus ability: Monks of the Dragon Claw treat any natural attacks they gain by race, class or feat (not by spells) as unarmed attacks for the purpose of using monk abilities. This includes flurry of blows and ki strike. They may use their monk unarmed damage for natural attacks if it is higher.

[edit] Prerequisites:Prerequisites: Knowledge (arcana) 4 ranks

Thinking of the Initiate of Draconic Mysteries led me down the primrose path. Since you are more caster focused...here are some spells to look into that I really like:

Moon Bolt, Mark of Doom, Shivering Touch, Living Undeath, Bestow Curse (and greater bestow curse), Panacea, Break Enchantment, Alter Fortune, Tyche's Touch, Plane Shift, Slay Living, Silence, Mass Lesser Vigor, Miracle, Protection from Evil, Dispel, Dispel Magic Greater, Holy Word type, and Ice Slick.

Big thing is that you have a 17 in wisdom AND charisma. That means that your spells have a good chance of hitting hard, since the DC is based off wis, while the number is based off cha. For FS's I tend to try and favor the spells that have no save if possible due to that reason, so your rolls give you a little bit more flexibility. Good luck. It would be neat to see what your build ends up looking like when all is said and done. :)