PDA

View Full Version : Deathknell Chronicles- Claire's Prelude

daelrog
2012-07-12, 03:33 AM
Claire got the call an hour ago.

“I know where Gary is.” The voice was a bit rough around the edges. Gary was her friend who had disappeared three weeks ago. Claire had done some snooping around, but found nothing. Then she decided to follow his footsteps, finding a couple of the bank accounts he was talking about. One was to a man named Sean Loveless. Another was to Rogan Denver. It was less than a day after that the stranger called you. “He’s in trouble. He asked to meet you at the pier at 10 sharp. The one with your favorite ice cream.”

When she asked him why he didn’t call, the stranger responded easily. “He’s driving back from Canada. Should be back in the state now. Don’t know what’s up, but whatever he’s gotten himself into he’s spooked. Won’t even tell his own flesh and blood what he’s up to, only wanted me to call you. Listen, if Gary doesn’t want me to know I won’t pry little lady, but call me back after to let me know he’s safe.” He left his number, and the call ended shortly after that without the usual pleasantries.

Claire waited, debating on what to do. If she was going to leave to meet Gary on time, she would have to leave now. It’s a twenty minute drive away, plus a five minute walk. Her car keys were hanging on the wall.

She thought about Gary. That poor, short, sweaty little kid. He asked her out once, and got shot down. Luckily, he turned out to be a real friend. Certainly wasn’t happy about the rejection, but after a couple months the two were friends again and neither had looked back.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-12, 02:21 PM
Claire slammed the phone down frustrated and tapped her fingers on the desk her rig sat on. Whoever the ******* on the other end had been he'd said practically nothing. Gary was certainly going to get an ear full from her for pulling this stupid stunt. What was he thinking at this time of night after having up gone off without telling anybody. Still it was good to hear from him at last, even if it was by proxy.

Pushing back from her desk cluttered with electronics Claire looked around her apartment for the clock. It might have been called a nice place once, for a one-bedroom anyways. Claire could afford a few notches above a rat hole, it even had a small kitchen separate. Yet the living room was crammed into half the space it should have. The rest was a hodgepodge collection of tables and steel wire shelves filled with plastic boxes. All were cluttered with circuit boards, wiring, resistors, transistors, and larger pieces of electronics. One of these days Claire had promised herself she'd organize her little workshop better. After she'd finished the work on coding the OS that would be her doctoral thesis. Which was what she'd been working on when the phone had rang. After checking the time Claire saved her work and quickly shut down her rig. The light on the tower flicked off and Claire hit the switch on the circuit breaker. She'd not been online so it was already unplugged from the phone jack. Long since standard procedure and barely noticed.

There was just enough time to change her long t-shirt and undies for something decent and make it by ten. Not five minutes later dressed in a pair of jeans and a grey Heavensworth College tee Claire was climbing into her '82 Honda Civic. Starting the engine and putting it in gear she drove off. It never occurred to her it might be wiser to stay at home. Afterall who would know about the ice cream. Besides in her purse Claire had a can of mace in it if there was going to be trouble.

Arriving at the pier with maybe five minutes to spare Claire got out and looked around. She'd parked in front of the little shack that served her favorite strawberry flavor, one of the few you could get around here with actual strawberries in it. It had closed for the night though, which was a shame. If this had been the weekend in the heard of summer she could have gotten a bite to eat there. Well made Gary buy it for making her put up with this. What was it about being one of the few women in the electronics world that made her so much more adult then her fellows. She was only 25, that wasn't old, why was everyone else that shared her love of computers so immature? She'd never pull a stunt like this. Sighing Claire continued looking around as she made her way down the pier.

daelrog
2012-07-12, 08:21 PM
It was quite on the pier. Not a single person was on it, which was not normal, but not quite unusual either. She saw the lights on Mt. Helena's Finest still on, a fairly weasely looking man was standing behind the counter, looking like he had a bad day. At the very end was a shadowy figure. It seemed to big to be Gary, but she couldn't tell for certain.

There were no seagulls, and if she looked behind her, she'd remember how long the 11th pier really was.

"Hey miss!" The way the weaselly man yelled almost made her jump. "Care for a sample?"

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-13, 12:00 AM
Claire gave a quick shake of the head with a friendly wave to the man on the boat. He'd just shouted out afterall there was no reason for her to get jumpy. Probably just an old drunk hiding out from his wife anyways. Certainly couldn't blame him for trying to flirt with her though, she got that quite a lot and barely noticed it. There was something odd but she just couldn't place what was off about the pier tonight. Still that was no reason to be jumpy

The figure at the end though, that was what was important. Was that Gary? It was too dark to tell. Maybe he'd brought a friend along, maybe the other man on the phone even. Still something just wasn't right even for an off night it seemed a little too quiet. Claire reached hand surreptitiously went into her purse feeling around for her little can of mace and pulling it back out inside her fist.

"Hello," she said in as normal tone of voice as she could manage as she reached the end of the pier.

daelrog
2012-07-13, 12:15 AM
"Gary's dead." The man turned around, arching his back straight. He was tall, and big, and his face was warped into a snarl. "Rogan wants to speak with you."

He started walking towards her. He smelled of piss and dust. His eyes seemed wild, and his hair hadn't been washed in days.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-13, 01:35 AM
Claire brought up the can of mace and held it prominently before the unknown man had even finished the last syllable of dead. She back pedalled furiously as she could while he spoke. She didn't know who he was but this had gone from something foolish to dangerously foolish in an instant. What had they done with Gary, what did they want with her now. Claire found herself wishing she'd taken a self-defense class more recently then freshman year all of a sudden. She'd never been in a real fight though and this was turning into every girl's nightmare. Cursing herself for what and idiot she'd been Claire's mind worked furiously for a way out of this. She didn't want to have to outrun this huge man if possible.

"Okay so Gary's dead then," Claire said as calmly as she could, "Look I just went looking for my friend, I don't really know what he found or anything. I'll leave right now okay, and Gary can just get filed under missing persons and tonite never happened. No reason this has to get violent."

She really did not want to have to put herself to the test in a fight here. She was in good shape but she was no real athlete. He was much bigger then her, if it came to a race he could well catch her. And fight... well her self-defense instructor in that class had set it straight. Size mattered. Unless you were a lot better then someone then being bigger meant stronger and longer reach. And men were a lot bigger then women. Claire wished she had listened then and kept up with it. A little can of mace and a promise over beers to give any guy that troubled her a kick to the gonads were seeming mighty thin in the face of this huge stinking animal. She could only hope he'd buy it.

daelrog
2012-07-13, 01:44 AM
"Told you Victor, that doesn't ever work. Shoulda put the the rag over her face first." The weasely guy working the ice cream stand stepped out. There was flicks of red covering his legs.

"Doesn't matter. Rogan said to bring her, didn't say in once piece."

"Damnit, you know he wants the b**** unspoiled. It's your head."

Claire was surrounded on a narrow pier, and no one else was around. The weasely guy had a crowbar in his hands while Victor was unarmed, but his large, calloused fingers seemed deadly in their own right.

"All right girl, your choice. Either use those little chicken legs of yours and give us a good choice, or I'll find another use for them."

The other one laughed. "Ice cold Victor. I call dibs on first go."

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-13, 02:13 AM
Damnation this was going from bad to worse. Claire made no sudden moves. Who was this Rogan that he had goons to send after her. And why did he want her? She'd never messed with anyone in the mob, she'd only targeted a couple of corporate networks for fun. Maybe one of them liked to play dirtier then she'd imagined. But how could they have tracked her.

No wait her mind was getting side tracked. She rarely gave it thought but she was a girl, that was reason enough for some slime. She needed to stay on task here. It didn't matter why, all that matters that she was surrounded from both sides on a narrow pier.

Wait, of course a narrow pier. Only two guys. They weren't too smart it seemed. She was going to hate loosing her purse with what followed, but better that then whatever these thugs want. Claire was just glad she slipped her car keys into her pocket, they should stay with her.

Without moving Claire pushed down on the mace release button in the direction of the huge man in front of her. Without waiting to see its effect she took off in run. Straight off the side of the pier into the water. She might not be able to run from the situation, but she could certainly swim

daelrog
2012-07-13, 02:34 AM
The water was cold. For a moment, underneath the water she iamgined that none of it was real. She couldn't see far in the murkey water, but she could swear... two glowing blue eyes staring at her.

She broke the surface with a loud gasp for air. Above she could here swearing in combinations she never knew possible. The other one was laughing. He called down to her.

"Hey! I think you just passed Victor's test. Now be a good girl and come back!"

"Charlie I am going to take a shovel and ram it up her ass!"

She looked up to see Victor jumping from the side of the pier. He fell fast, near her. The splash forced her to look away. The water grew still, and Victor didn't emerge.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-13, 04:03 PM
Claire forced herself to calm down again. She was jumpy, seeing things that couldn't be there. The water was cold and the salt burned her eyes, a small price to pay though. Now she had a chance, though not the best one.

Coming to the surface Claire gasp for breath, filling her lungs once more. The weasely man quickly followed her into the water, or at least that's who she thought it was. She didn't wait for him to surface. Diving once more she began to kick trying to get some distance from the pier before she had to surface once more. If she could then she could switch to a faster stroke, and it would be a race.

Of course jeans and t-shirts were made for the water, to say nothing of her now soaking tennis shoes. Those she considered kicking off but there if she got to shore she'd wanted to be able to run as fast as she could. She'd just have to make it happen. She'd already left her purse on the pier, thrown away as she jumped. She didn't need to loose anymore then that tonite. If she could even get away at all.

daelrog
2012-07-13, 08:46 PM
Actually, it's the big guy that jumped in after her. The weasely man's still joking with her from up above.

Claire made it fifteen seconds before she felt two strong, meaty hands clutch her legs, pull her under, and then all went black.

-

Claire woke up. It was dark, and she was in an empty room. It looked to be an abandoned bathroom. There were a pair of urinals on the walls, but the hoses that connected them to the waterline had long since been removed. Her ankles, shoulder, and wrists felt bruised, but otherwise she was in her clothes, and unharmed.

She tried to move, but she was tied to an uncomfortable chair. She could hear the two men behind her. It sounded like they were playing cards.

"Hey Charlie, looks like she's up."

Charlie, the name of the weasel-faced thug gave a sigh. "All right, you heard what Rogan said. We're not to kill her."

Rogan... Rogan... where had she heard that name. It finally clicked. It was one of the two names she had found with the old, old bank account, the one that Gary had found first.

Charlie stepped into view, holding a rusted pairs of pliers. "So... Claire Russo was it? Pretty name." He was dragging a plastic chair like you'd find in a school behind him. He turned it around and sat in it backwards. "We have a bit of a probem. You see, when we broke into Gary's place, he was sitting at his computer. Idiot was trying too hard to piss himself and run away to shut off the machine. Hell, he even had his email opened up. Didn't take too for Rogan to look at your two's history and come up with the ice cream gig. I swear he's the most clever man I ever met, if I could call him a man."

"Get on with it."

"Hey f*** you. I didn't tell you how to do your job, you don't tell me how to do mine." Charlie smiled at Claire, showing her a few missing teeth. "Now, we weren't so luky with you. We can't get into your computer, and we're going to need you to tell us how to do it. I'd like to take your word that you didn't make the same mistake as Gary did and send yet another one of your buddies to an early grave, but Rogan wants to make sure. So, we're going to need those passwords. I hate to rough up a pretty face like yours, which is why I'm going to start with your fingernails."

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-13, 11:18 PM
Claire hadn't been raised to credit anything to supernatural powers, but what else did she have to thank for waking back up bruised and wet but alive and seemingly unmolested? When those hands had grabbed her in the water she had thought that it was over already. Blacking out had seemed oblivion, waking up had been a suprise.

As pain from her bruise and shivers from her impromptu swim brought her fully awake Claire took stock of her surroundings, driving her mind to work. Rogan, damn that was the names on one of those weird accounts Gary had found diving a bank network. Damn it Gary what have you done, she thought to herself. Stupid to keep files on stuff like that, worse then stupid to get himself killed. Claire felt a few tears begin to well up but forced them down. She would grieve for her friend later though first she needed to deal with more pressing matters. They said Rogan wanted him alive

Claire had no way of know how long she'd been out. But the lingering damp said it couldn't have been too long. Still if they'd had time to go to her apartment and find they couldn't get into her rig... put that together with what they said about Gary and these guys clearly weren't that up on cracking. A fragment of an idea got in her head.

"You know that's not good idea," She said at last, "Torture I mean. I'm sure you could hurt me real bad but if I don't start babbling about starting the Great Chicago Fire how am I supposed to give you the right info. You think I've got Lisa in there just waiting to suck your **** after you put the right keystrokes in? You must have got real lucky with Gary, me I'm in the middle of writing a Unix B-S-D series goo-iee half written in sections with multiple iterations of the ten megs I lashed together last May to make up the H-D-D in that expanded tower. It takes more then some standard Disk Operating System prompts to get everything you need booted in there at the moment. You think I can explain a delicate system architecture to you while screaming in pain?"

The best part about this story was it was true. Her system was mess right now unless you were the architect of it all. Not that it would be all that hard, she'd upgraded the system just to start her coding which was well isolated from other functions of the system. She'd really only added the enormous hard drive capacity to stave of the upgrading for awhile.

"Gary was obviously fool to keep his client full and unlucky to be on it when you got him. Me, I've got years of legitimate work I'd rather keep in my rigs memory so I don't need to keep a few notes about some account entry errors. But after Sundevil and the Legion of Doom I decided I'd rather not keep records of conversations. But maybe I screwed up or you won't believe that, and you'll go after people that don't know anything, so I'm not about to let that happen to my friends. So there's no way I'm letting you dive my rig."

"Like I said before. I don't really know anything. I guess Gary must have found some account some lamer phreaked into existence for your boss and noticed he screwed up the date making it way too old. I don't really care though I just wanted to know what happened to Gary because he went all silent running on me. I know that now, so I've got nothing to gain by aiding you two or any reason to believe I'll still be alive if I do. If I'm really to believe your boss really wants me alive didn't you say on the dock he wanted me unspoiled too? I hardly call beaten still I start belting out maybe Freddie Mercury in pain not be touched,"

Silently Claire finished with another prayer to a God she didn't quite believe in that they didn't see through her false bravado.

daelrog
2012-07-13, 11:33 PM
Charlie looked at her, his face scrunching up as she said things he didn't understand. "Right, by the time we're done you're going to be speaking English again honey, and we'll save the blowjob for later. He moved behind her/ She could feel as the pliers grabbed the nail on her left pinky feel. Then there was a rush of pain.

"Right, let's start with one more and try again."

"No, that will be enough." The pliers hit the floor with a loud clatter. "Killing the other one didn't make the problem go away. We need a different approach. Victor, you said she sprayed you with mace and jumped into the water?"

"Yeah, I did."

"I'm glad it wasn't enough to stop you. I would have killed you otherwise." The man took the chair Charlie had been sitting in. He was a large black man with feral yellow eyes. "Your name is Claire. If I'm to understand the technical banter you just spoke, you're adept at using computers?" He didn't seem to care that her finger was throbbing in pain.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-14, 12:53 AM
Claire cursed loudly as her finger surged with pain. She didn't want to look, that would have been worse. Christ she hoped she could keep this up. Still she had meant every word. This could all be social engineering afterall, she couldn't take the risk that these morons were faking ignorance or didn't have somebody else that knew what they were about and could do some bad things with the data she had on her rig. If she wanted to take down a group like the one she ran with that would be the way, get on one of them about something unrelated apply pressure to open the door thinking they were plebes only to turn out Henry Dorsett Case in disguise. Still Lady Black Box and her ilk shouldn't have enemies who'd play this dirty in the push. A bunch of suits from the Man she'd could have understood, two dirty thugs confused the hell out of her. Had to be mafia something, guess they didn't all look a little like her dad and talk with cottonballs in their mouth.

Claire almost laughed, here she was making pop culture references in her head while a man pulled her fingernails out. The insanity of it steadier her a little though. It took a new voice to break her reverie completely though. A newcomer, or at least someone she hadn't seen on the pier. He was somehow more imposing then the other two that was for sure. Those eyes were creepy, but the thought crossed Claire's mind they somehow didn't seem like contacts. At least he seemed polite, probably meant he was even more dangerous. Had to be the boss.

"So then you would be Mr. Denver I'll guess," She managed to gasp, deciding to keep the bravado going as long as she could. It was maybe working, "And you could say that. If you read Gary's mail enough to know about the ice cream you should know that up until tonite I was well on my way to a doctorate. Summer before last my adviser Professor Douglas invited me to help him with some consulting work he was doing up in Redmond for Microsoft. So yes."

daelrog
2012-07-14, 01:19 AM
"Mr. Denver?" He looked at Charlie.

"That's the last name we used for your bank account?"

"Really, I had forgotten." He looked bak at Claire. "We spoke on the phone earlier. Don't feel ashamed for falling for the trap, you didn't even know one was being set. I found the frustrated and confused distant relative is usually a promising act. The advent of telephones has made it easier."

His stare was intense, and Claire felt naked under his gaze. "I'm sorry your friend had to die. He was braver than he appeared." Claire noticed that Rogan didn't exactly say Gary was brave. "However, he was going to bring up my bank account to the papers and it would have brought too much attention. If I hadn't killed him, one of the others would have."

He stood up and leaned down, sniffing at her neckline. Seeing his eyes this close left no doubt that they weren't contacts. "You see, I opened that bank account a 142 years ago. I had one of my ghousl at the time adopt my name, a white man, and I haven't changed it since. I see now that it was a mistake not to. However, I don't think changing my name will be enough, will it? Therefore, I'm asking for your help. Clear my recrods, and those of anyone else you've found, and I'll give you immortality, to make you as I am."

Both Victor and Charlie started to raise their voice, but Rogan snarled at them, a beastial sound like a rabid dog, and the two thugs fell silent.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-14, 02:11 AM
"You-you aren't making any sense," Claire said, the facade cracking a little. Those eyes that gaze. What he implied with a glance seemed so much more then his thugs crude threats. Unconsciously she tried to squeeze her legs tightly together, she felt exsposed. His serious demeanor, those eyes, his claims nothing added up, "You opened an account before the Civil War, with an Arabic boogeyman? Immortality... look even what makes sense about that isn't easy. Erasing a bank record depending on how much money you've got in there isn't like emptying a trash can. Especially if you want to keep the money, and not bring any kind of official notice."

She was no business expert, but she knew some from her father and managing the funds he'd set up for her to go to school. Even with access to their records you couldn't just make money disappear without some serious magic. To say nothing of the legalities. This could get very bad, very quickly. Still though a small part of her, said Lady Black Box hadn't had a challenge in a long while. But too many things about this all didn't make sense. Immortality? Had she been abducted by a crazy man. This had to be some kind of ploy.

"Wait why am I even considering how to do this? How can you expect me to believe any of this?"

daelrog
2012-07-14, 03:32 AM
Rogan closed his eyes, his mind going back to distant memories. “Some things only become more difficult with time. When humanity surpassed us by becoming too many in number, they compensated their strength for cowardice. Now that humanity is trying to become stronger than us even as individuals with their technology, their cynicism and doubt blinds them.

Then Rogan changed. It was not pleasant to watch, flesh, bone, and fur seem to warp across his body until all that was left was a large wolf with the same feral eyes, eyes that belong more to a cat than a canine. It took long for him to turn back into a man, but and when he did his clothes were in tatters on the floor, leaving the man naked in front of her. He was muscled, and deep scars ran all across his body.

“Is that sufficient to prove what I am Claire? I am Gangrel, I am kindred, I am what you call a vampire, and I have walked this earth for over three hundred years. Yet, here sits before me a young mortal girl who threatens my existence not with a sword, a flame, or faith, but with an electronic box. Can you make it so no one follows in you or your friend’s footsteps?”

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-14, 04:45 AM
Claire heart started to pound as the man changed. That wasn't possible, it just wasn't. Like something from out of a B-movie, only the effects had been too good. There wasn't any trick here, she'd just seen it right. This was no movie, she could feel that beasts sheer prescence. Something, something of the old world, of the night. A vampire he said and Claire believed him.

She realized suddenly she was laughing. She wasn't sure when she'd started, but she couldn't quite stop. It was a release, a reacton to what stood before her now returning to the form of a naked man more all the more imposing for his lack of clothes. Now she could see what lurked beneath. She'd lost, completely.

"Since everyone thinks vampires are a myth... you can't let me go can you? This is too big either comply or I'm dead already. I was only kept alive so you could talk for a bit right... I can do it."

"If I remember right where Gary and I found the names Sean Loveless and Rogan Denver wasn't that hard to get into. I can put hash out some scripts to divide the money across the banks accounts so their balance stays the same while I shuffle fake transactions and several smaller accounts. Or something." Programing was based in math she should be able to work out those numbers and get this done. She didn't have a choice really, still Claire couldn't just give up entirely, "But it won't be instant and that's only a short term solution. You need to something better. Like Cayman Islands, or Swiss Account better. So I'll need time if you want this, probably need to go into an open bank in daylight once or twice. And that means I'm going to be getting out of this bathroom, so I've got a price."

Now for one last bit of defiance, "First I need to know if there's any way we can do this without the goons around me all at once, I don't know that I'd trust my word but even less so then if they are following me around. We hate for something stupid to happen. But my real price is I don't give you my friends over this, they know nothing and that's all and you will just have to trust that. You obviously need someone like me to get this done but if you think you can just throw me back in my apartment and I'll make this happen you best kill me and hope no one else notices a hefty account open for way too long until you find someone else."

daelrog
2012-07-14, 04:59 AM
"You see," Rogan waved his hand across the room, directing his gesture towards Victor and Charlie, "this is what you lack, a survival instinct. Whereas you Victor would fight back, which you did, and lose, and whereas you Charlie only cringe, Claire here proves herself useful and necessary."

He looks back at Claire, arms crossed. He doesn't seem to mind one bit that he's naked from head to toe. "If your friends are unaware, then they are safe. Don't worry about my ghouls, after tonight they will no longer be a problem to you. Untie her."

Charlie and Victor closed in one her, removing the ropes from her, Charlie gently, Victor roughly. When she was free to stand, Rogan spoke again. "My security is that you will become my childer, my responsibility, another beast that feeds on blood and shuns the light of day. My safety is your safety, my life is your life. There are those who hunt our kind in the shadow Claire. Know that few can stand against one as old as I, but many will threaten one as young as you.

Now then Claire, I give you the life of your ignorant friends as payment for the life I took. However, I still feel I owe you one boon left, for the Curse of Caine does not lead to hapiness. You will be immortal, you will be strong, but you will no longer have a true place with humanity. What shall I give you for this sacrifice?"

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-14, 05:51 AM
Claire stood and moved soon as she was freed rubbing her shoulders with her arms crossed. She made gave no sign of fleeing she merely to needed to get some space. It would be pointless to run, of that she was sure. So Rogan would do whatever he planned tonite then it seemed. Well no use fighting, it had been over since the pier really. With that acceptance came a bizarre sense of relief. Stockholm syndrome kicking in? Maybe.

As Rogan spoke Claire found herself gazing up and down again. Three hundred years he'd said, what could this man have seen in that time? It could not have been easy with those scars. If he'd spent that time in the America the life, or whatever a vampire had, would not have been easy. His offer of a favor interested her in particular. What drove this man, something beyond the base thuggery of his minions certainly.

"A boon you say," Claire considered, "Well I suppose a year to finish my doctorate is out of the question, I would have liked the title Doctor Russo very much. Though if I'm must trade my planned life to serve your interests I suppose... I'd like a cut. A percentage of your assets I will take for myself as a fee for hiding them. You decide what would qualify for your boon to be fulfilled. If any is too great a boon, then something simpler will do. What ever you are about to do to me, not here. I don't know if this is a funeral a birth or a wedding, but I'd have not have one in a crummy bathroom. An abandoned field would be better. And at the least send those two away."

That last was referring to Victor and Charlie.

daelrog
2012-07-14, 06:15 AM
Rogan smiled. It was a big, and bright. She could see the fangs. "Yes, let us ride into the night. "Victor, undress yourself. I will need pants if I'm to take dear Claire to a more proper setting. Now."

As Victor cursed under his breath and did as he was told, Rogan looked at Claire. "The embrace is all those things and none. I know that's a cryptic answer, but you'll understand soon enough."

In less the a minute Rogan was wearing pants, and taking Victor's jacket to, the two walked away of the abandoned elementary school. They were outside the city limits.

"There's an open field less than a quarter mile. Most people don't come to these parts. There are other monsters that prowl these areas but they do not bother me." He smiled again, as it if were a boast. "And I think 60 percent will be fair. You have far more need of it than me."

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-14, 06:39 AM
It was a relief to be free of the thugs at last. Despite clearly doing their masters bidding she somehow had more anger for the dogs then for the one so clearly holding the leash.

Once outside Claire realized how far out of town they were. She could only hope one of the thugs had the sense to bring her car along. Or a car. She checked briefly for her keys in her pocket. Come to think of it she hadn't looked for her purse either. If it had been left on the pier she doubted she'd get it back. The bag itself didn't matter, but she doubted her need for a wallet would end tonight. At least she'd left her glasses in the car and a pair back at the apartment. It occurred to Claire she was being foolish, such matters were trifling compare to walking to your death next the man who was going to do it. Presumably with those fangs. Such a strange thing, especially Rogan.

"That is more then fair I must admit," she said in reply to his set percentage, "And umm the pants and jacket are almost a shame you seemed comfortable without them. I had a thought that maybe I'd try and emulate it when the moment comes, seeing as I'm going to be like you. Besides it would only be fair since I force you to do that other thing."

daelrog
2012-07-14, 07:35 AM
"When you live for so long somethings become more important, others not. What you lose and what you gain depends much on the individual. I believe the Sean Loveless was the other name your friend discovered. He tattooed most of his body, in that way he's almost clothed.

"I will warn you now we are political creatures we kindred, even me. For my part, I avoid it as much as possible, but it's more of a strategy than anything else. Tonight when we are finished I will take you to the Prince. He rules our kind in this city, and he will recognize you as one of us. Appear as a blank slate in his eyes and those present. If you appear too strong, they will fear you. If you appear too weak, they will despise you. Know that the goal of every kindred, including me, is to survive. Everything they say, everything they do will serve that purpose. Know that I am here to help you survive in this world because it suits my own survival as well. Should you no longer become useful we will part our ways. If and only if your existence threatens mine will I seek to strike you down."

They were out in the middle of the field. "As we are joined together, I will drain you of every last drop of blood in your body. It is what you want, is it not?" As he spoke he removed Victor's jacket, turning to face her.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-14, 08:25 AM
Claire listen carefully but said nothing for the moment as Rogan spoke. Instead having reached the field she did as she said and removed her clothing. She could not match his effortless confidence with his own body, but she would try. For this night at least. After one last sigh she stood before Rogan.

"I have already accepted, I can accept all that come with it as well I guess," She said, "It is perhaps good there are others that share the night. Come let us get see to this then."

daelrog
2012-07-14, 08:37 AM
Rogan was powerful, but gentle with Claire. He whispered nothings to her in Spanish, a language he seemed more comfortable with. As they were in the throws of love his teeth met her neck, and she was filled with an ecstasy she never knew existed. Her entire body was filled with a passionate fire that stretched her senses and made her mind spin. He drunk slowly from her, letting the moment stretch into minutes until finally she could not keep her eyes open.

Her eyes opened, and she felt cold. It was starting to rain lightly and she lay on the ground naked. The moment only lasted for a second as she was gripped with something else.

Hunger.

She felt like she was suffocating, needles were stabbing into her heart. She needed to feed, to feast. Then she spotted her prey. Charlie was standing there, a scared look on his face. His eyes darted between her, and something behind. Claire could almost feel his heartbeat, making her mouth dry with thirst.

Roll for frenzy or feed on Charlie willingly. Your call.:smallcool:

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-14, 09:16 AM
Fire and ice clashed in a furious storm all around her, permeating every inch of her as Claire embraced Rogan. And then like like lightning the sky split open and she shattered, every once of her body from toe to tip alive like never before and if life had been live with her wrapped in pitch black gauze. She felt her heart pounding ever faster in feverish pitch and then, fading melting away. Like dew on a summer's morning Claire felt herself fading into nothing. And then the sweet nothingness took her.

When Claire came too she felt different. She fel aware of the chill of her body, the light drops of the rain, the hard ground and soft grass beneath her. Taking it all in she realize it didn't bother her. She no longer felt the pain she had from her ordeal. All of it was just sensations now to be acknowledged perhaps and that was all. Except one.

She was hungry. A hunger she'd never known even the fraction of before ripped at the core of her. There, one of the thugs. The weaselly one who had ripped off her finger nail. Here we was, brimming over with life. Blood. She knew what she wanted.

Rising to her feet she felt the desire surge in her, a wild and untamed animal. Every feral desire she'd ever felt rolled into one surge. Yet by some higher instinct Claire struggled to hold fast. Desire was one thing, but the rational part of her mind demanded control be held. It might not be enough.

Self Control 3 and rolling...
[roll0]

Since that won't meet the five to suppress it entirely here's some more for further rounds because Claire will struggle with the Beast until one or the other wins:

[roll1]
[roll2]

daelrog
2012-07-14, 09:26 AM
Feed.

It was not so much a word spoken in her head, but a force of will that came from her body. Charlie turned to run, but tripped over himself. She was atop of him in seconds. He screamed but it was drowned out by the rush of blood entering her, pouring from her throat, and into her body.

The man that had posed as an ice cream vendor, mocked her as she tried to get away from Rogan, and had even yanked a single fingernail from her body with the threat of more was now her victim, wide eyed and struggling to get away.

She continued to feed, his moans turning into a whimper turning into silence. His body grew cold and pale, and by the time she had control of herself, there was precious little blood in him. Charlie was dead, and unlike her, he would not be rising again.

Edit: Sorry I missed you further rolls. Looks like it'll take three rounds to get calm. You have 10 dots of blood then.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-14, 02:17 PM
The rage the hate, she poured it all out leaping on the hurtful thing before her, aware intimately now that she was the superior. Fang extend in her mouth, teeth to bite and tear. She would bite the weasal deep, drink drink drink what pour out. It was a terrible, wonderful sensation as red fluid passed into her. Every thought she had went flying to the wind as she drank. It was like food for the starving, fresh water in the desert, the joy of coitus, the pain of sorrow, the whole of life itself flowing through her. Claire drank deeply, the unleashed animal in her loving this joyful sensation subsuming every fiber.

And then in a moment that seemed an eternity it was over. That terrible Hunger was, if not full then at least well fed. Still there but dimming to a background noise in her heart. Claire rose from her victim. He had done such a horrible thing to her, but now the animal fading she realized what she done. She'd killed him, he'd done things for sure and probably worse but did any man deserve to be eaten? This, was the essence of the vampire. She had become a predator, one that could not be truly controlled. Rogan had been right, there should be little joy in this "gift" but she'd had little choice in the matter. Damn what had she been thinking, that Hunger that rage. A leaf before a tornado.

Checking just to be sure Charlie was truly dead Claire moved away walking in a circle around the man. Something in her manner had changed, if only in contrast she was no longer faking any unconcern for her nudity, it simply was. It was rather like what Rogan had displayed not too long ago. Claire gave the change no conscious thought it simply was. Her focus was on her victim. He may have been vile, but she could regret that he was dead.

Her mind had only one real question. Now what?

daelrog
2012-07-14, 08:40 PM
"A good kill." Though he did not shout, his voice carried across the field. "Keep well fed, take a little at a time, and you will thrive in this world. Grow hungry like you were again and you will lose your to the beast, the rage in each of asks that demands blood. Keep fed and those around you may be pale every now and then. Starve yourself and you will be surrounded by bodies like his.

"His life has no significance. Others have loved ones. Just as your friend brought you to me, so too will the deaths of others bring their loved ones searching for you. Unlike me, you have not earned the right to embrace anyone. Come, we have a long drive ahead. We can discuss more as we head to the Prince's estate."

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-15, 02:54 AM
"Perhaps this was simply his time, like it was mine," Claire said solemnly before looking away, not sure if she believed that, "Still I have no desire to fill coffins, I shall have to keep that advice well in mind. A question before we go. Was Charlie here sent out as a punishment? The other Victor, they both boxed me in but when I leapt out of it he was the one that went after me while this one here just laughed. Was this his punishment for a lack of... commitment, or was he merely convenient? I imagine most... vampires... start that way so you had to know what I would likely do. I ask to know better what sort of man has become my new, parent or whatever the proper term is."

Regardless of the answer Claire was not angry with Rogan, it seem strange but if anything the attraction she had seized on before seemed even stronger now. There was a warmth to thinking of the man, like if her heart skipped a beat. If her heart was beating. Still that was the way she could describe it. Well no suprise given the intimacy of what they had done together, Claire had been with plenty of men but none had gone further. It wouldn't be human to feel something for some who'd done what Rogan had. At any rate it was evident they were done here. Claire left Charlie's corpse lying there and located the clothes any of the clothes she had dropped that were still in the field before heading in the direction she heard Rogan voice coming from.

"So I am not allowed to make other vampires then? While that makes sense it sounds a rule, so I guess your... our... kind have rules and laws of our own then. Those would be good to know if I'm to meet this Prince. First thing every noob should do is know the rules of a board before they actually do anything."

daelrog
2012-07-15, 07:35 PM
Rogan did not even bother to look at Charlie’s corpse. “No, it was no punishment. Victor was the one best suited to apprehend you there was no need for both to follow you into the water. Charlie’s roll was to torture you, which turned out to be unnecessary. I needed someone to feed you, and Charlie was the less useful of the two. I also thought you might like revenge for your fingernail. That won’t grow back now that you’re dead. It can be your reminder of what happens to those who harm you, and what happens to them is you fall prey to the beast again.”

As Claire put her clothes back on, Rogan answered her other question. “Yes, we have rules, but I’ll let the Prince tell them. There are few enough. For now just don’t assume anything, and don’t do anything stupid.”

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-15, 09:07 PM
Her clothing felt like it belonged to someone else as Claire pulled it on. It truly was meaningless, but would be expected of her in public though so she put it on anyways. They were damp and cold, but that bothered Claire even less. Warmth it seemed was for the living.

Rogan's response said a great deal to Claire. Just a simple calculation, she could almost understand being vindictive better. Though terrible to admit, it that moment of the kill she had revelled in the sweet revenge for the pain he had caused her. It still disturbed her though to take a life simply for pain, though any who would do that were scum there had to be some balance. That had not been worth the man's life. That Rogan hardly seemed to care spoke much, was this what vampires became? Was this what she would become? A disturbing though.

Claire looked at her pinkie, studying it for the first time. There was some blood left and empty skin, but it seemed to be closed. Truly there was nothing left of the nail. She should probably buy some fake ones, just to prevent any questions on how she lost it. It shouldn't stop her from doing anything though, that was more important. After examining it Claire took her first instinct and cleaned the remaining blood on her finger up with her tongue. The last bits of her own living blood, even dried it tasted like the sweetest candy. Just a taste though and then it was gone. Clearly real vampires could not get by on discrete sips.

"Very well then," Claire said after Rogan finished, "I suppose I will save any questions until after meeting this "Prince" then. Though I do have many I will need answered eventually. I suppose there is nothing further to be gained here though. Shall we go?"

daelrog
2012-07-15, 09:22 PM
Rogan nodded.

Victor drove the truck, pantsless, while Rogan lay in the flatbed in the back, staring at the clouds in the sky. He did not speak much, his thoughts lost in the past, and for the rest of the night to come.

And... done. Feel free to discuss how Claire feels as she goes to meet the "Prince" but I think we're ready to wait for the others. One down, five to go.

Soras Teva Gee
2012-07-16, 12:09 AM
Claire chose to ride in the bed with Rogan. She'd no wish to be around Victor, she'd have felt as guilty if he had been the one sent out to feed her but she still considered him a terrible thug. If less slimy then his former compatriot. Still if she never saw the man again it would be enough.

Strange that she would consider the man behind the two of them more worthwhile then either. Maybe it was that old cliche about bad boys and girls? Claire didn't want to think she'd been drawn in by something like that. Maybe it was just the contrast, most of the male she'd known in her life were just boys. Like Gary had been. They could be nice, and smart even, but half the time she felt like they considered her somewhere between a bizzare combination of space alien and deity. Strange and only approached cautiously, her slightest move could send them skittering. Rogan was so different, she challenged him on being insane and he'd responded with overwhelming force. She could respect and admire that strength. Still it was odd that she felt something more after waking back up, she'd never considered her previous lovers in such a way. It puzzled her greatly.

Then again a great many things were starting to percolate through her mind. This ride was the first moment she'd really had since stepping onto the pier to stop and think. As it all settled in Claire found herself troubled by more and more questions. Vampires were real, what about them was true? All the stories were different. For that matter there were enough of them to have a society, did they come in different types? Rogan had called himself a Gangrel, what did that mean? What were the rules they lived by? For that matter what did vampires mean for the world in general. Vampires couldn't exist in a world like that, Claire had enough background in science to understand just how impossible that was. Even if some disease could make her crave blood and act like that in so short of time, she had no heartbeat. She'd felt herself grow fangs. And even all that, she seen Rogan turn into a wolf and then unchange. Forget biology she was pretty sure he'd shattered Newton. Claire's parents had raised her free of religion, she'd always put stock in science because it worked. Now it was clear that assumption was nothing but a prideful lie.

Oh crap, her parents. In the moments of accepting death and choosing to linger Claire hadn't even considered her parents, teachers, friends. She considered briefly she'd need to quite her doctorate, but how was she supposed to explain why. What was she going to any of tell them? This was worse then all the risks she took on keeping her hobbies a secret, Lady Black Box used to be her big secret and now that would be the easiest part of her life to keep going. But above all her parents, what the hell could she even begin to tell them. You couldn't just say I-quit-school-and-became-a-vampire to someone.

It seemed being dead was more complicated then being alive had ever been.