PDA

View Full Version : Question on rules when stacking feats.

Ramshack
2012-07-12, 11:47 AM
I'm creating a battle field controller for a non magic campaign. I have a 2 monk 18 fighter roughed out in my head. But I had questions on how a combat sequence would work when combined with multiple feats.

In this scenario I have knock down, knock back, improved trip, improved bull rush, improved disarm, jotunbrud, power attack, shock trooper and combat brute.

Now say I am power attacking and penalizing my ac per shock trooper. I make a disarm attempt and succeed. With combat brute I get a free attack on the opponent. Let's say I deal 10 damage. With knock down I make a free trip attempt. Assuming I succeed with improved trip I get another attack. Now knock ack says when ever I attack with power attack I can make a free bull rush attempt. Can I then bull rush the enemy away? Into a wall with dungeon crasher or into an enemy tripping them with shock trooper? All in the same action?

Curmudgeon
2012-07-12, 12:26 PM
Now say I am power attacking and penalizing my ac per shock trooper. I make a disarm attempt and succeed. With combat brute I get a free attack on the opponent.
I think you're confused. Combat Brute doesn't give any benefit on a disarm; it only works with a successful bull rush, sunder, or charge.

Ramshack
2012-07-12, 12:32 PM
Ah that is my fault. I read it with a disarm when it's a sunder attempt. The concept still stands if I sunder a weapon instead does the series of events still work?

Feralventas
2012-07-12, 12:33 PM
I'm creating a battle field controller for a non magic campaign. I have a 2 monk 18 fighter roughed out in my head. But I had questions on how a combat sequence would work when combined with multiple feats.

In this scenario I have knock down, knock back, improved trip, improved bull rush, improved disarm, jotunbrud, power attack, shock trooper and combat brute.

Now say I am power attacking and penalizing my ac per shock trooper. I make a disarm attempt and succeed. With combat brute I get a free attack on the opponent. Let's say I deal 10 damage. With knock down I make a free trip attempt. Assuming I succeed with improved trip I get another attack. Now knock ack says when ever I attack with power attack I can make a free bull rush attempt. Can I then bull rush the enemy away? Into a wall with dungeon crasher or into an enemy tripping them with shock trooper? All in the same action?

So, Power Attack+AC penalty with Shock-trooper.
Then
Disarm->Succeed, grants 1 free attack.
Knock-down-> Trip attempt -> succeed, grants 1 free attack.

If Knock back grants you a bull-rush whenever you power-attack, you could probably be bull-rushing on both the Disarm-granted attack AND the Knock-down-trip-granted attack.

If I'm reading it right anyway. Seems about on par with some mid-level maneuvers, so I don't think it'll be over-powering.

Tim Proctor
2012-07-12, 12:56 PM
You still only have your movement range, so you'll have to get a Belt of Battle MiC.

Curmudgeon
2012-07-12, 12:58 PM
Ah that is my fault. I read it with a disarm when it's a sunder attempt. The concept still stands if I sunder a weapon instead does the series of events still work?
Yes, it all hangs together with the sunder fix ─ assuming you succeed on every step in the chain. The enemy you bull rush will already be prone, so Shock Trooper only lets you try to trip the other foe you bull rush them into with Domino Rush.

Ramshack
2012-07-12, 01:40 PM
Very nice. Now during an AoO could I also make y AoO do 10 damage and trip and get free attack after that trip? I don't think I can but if you can would the free attack be able to generate a bull rush attempt as well?

Person_Man
2012-07-12, 01:46 PM
Multiple effects resolve in the order that is most beneficial to the creature using them.

Also, keep in mind that multiple melee combos (Bull Rush, Trip, Disarm, Grapple, Sunder, etc) tend to be wasted when used within the same build. You need 1 reliable way to disable or lock down an enemies, and 1 reliable high damage combo. Beyond that, you should focus on other stuff. Fear, defensive abilities, utility, no Save debuffs for boss fights, etc.

Ramshack
2012-07-12, 02:16 PM
Well even by combining shock trooper and combat brute and their respective skills it allows for massive damage with power attacks especially wen charging and combined with the leap attack feat.

You could charge a foe with a 3-1 PA with the penalty to your ac. Hit someone for massive damage. Get a free trip. And another PA hit then knock them into a wall for great damage. The next round you get to keep your 3-1 ratio thanks to combat brute. Get an AoO as they stand up and get to lay into them again next turn. Seems like a great mix of damage and utility